Have you ever heard about millet? If you haven’t heard about it, let’s check out the information about millet. It may be a less common type of the seed crop which you are expecting on your table. But the fact shows that the group of highly changeable seeded grasses is grown all over the world, not only for livestock but also human consumption. Furthermore, millet is mainly planted in the developing countries. However, its fast-growing season, along with the ability to develop in the relatively harsh, arid and dry environments, makes it become an ideal crop for a lot of countries. Even though there are so many different types of millet such as sorghum which is known as Jowar, foxtail millet, finger millet which is known as Ragi, Barnyard millet, Kodo millet, little millet, as well as proso millet, all of which are being grown around the world, the most popular type is Pennisetum glaucum, which is also known as pearl millet. In addition, about 10,000 years ago, millet was found in Africa and then spread through Asia as well as the Middle East. Likewise, there is one more important thing that you ought to know. That is about the millet health benefits. Do you want to know them? Let’s check out on our page AllRemedies.com.
Top 14 Millet Health Benefits For Overall Health, Hair, And Skin
At first, do you wonder to know where the millet health benefits come from? Exactly, they come from the nutrients which are contained in millet. Now, let’s find out the nutritional value of millet.
I. Nutritional Value Of Millet
Do you know that? When you consume a cup of millet which is about 200 grams, you may receive 3,165 kJ of calories. Furthermore, you also get 17 grams of dietary fiber as well as 146 grams of carbohydrate. In addition, you can also get a lot of vitamins when you eat millet . For example, you may get thiamine (0.8 mg), niacin (9.4 mg), folate (170 mcg), vitamin B6 (0.8 mg), riboflavin (0.6 mg), pantothenic acid (17 mg), vitamin K (18 mcg) as well as vitamin E (0.1 mg) which is alpha-tocopherol. Moreover, 200 grams of millet also provide you with a lot of minerals such as calcium (16.0 mg), iron (6.0 mg) , magnesium (228 mg), phosphorus (570 mg), potassium (390 mg), sodium (10.0 mg), zinc (3.4 mg), copper (1/.5 mg), manganese (3.3 mg), as well as selenium (5.4 mcg). Especially, it is said that millet is really low in fat but high in protein.
That’s all about the nutritional value of millet which you should know. Now, it is high time for you to find out the millet health benefits.
II. Miraculous Millet Health Benefits For Your Overall Health, Hair, And Skin
1. Millet Health Benefits – Increase Heart Health
As you can see, millet is said to be one of the best and the most possible grains which ought to be added to your daily diet if you want to look after your heart. It means something that everybody is able to relate to. In addition, millet is rich in magnesium which is an essential mineral for decreasing the blood pressure as well as the risk of suffering from heart attacks or strokes, especially in the situation of atherosclerosis. Besides that, millet is a great source of potassium that can keep your blood pressure low by acting as the vasodilator. As you have known, optimizing your circulatory system, along with reducing your blood pressure, is the best way in order to protect your cardiovascular health. Likewise, in millet, there is something that is called plant lignans which may be converted to the animal lignans by the microflora in the digestive system. Additionally, these animal lignans have been presented to protect you against the certain chronic diseases such as heart disease as well as cancer.
2. Millet Health Benefits – Reduce Bad Cholesterol Levels
In the list of the wonderful millet health benefits for health, it is said that millet has low cholesterol levels as well. Furthermore, cholesterol levels are closely related to the heart health and the high fiber levels which are found in millet also make it become an ideal cholesterol – lowering approach. Moreover, dietary fiber actually removes the dangerous “bad cholesterol” (LDL) from your body’s system meanwhile it promotes the influences of the “good cholesterol” (HLD).
3. Millet Health Benefits – Protect Against Diabetes
If you are looking for the millet health benefits, protecting you against diabetes ought to mentioned, too. As you can see, nowadays, diabetes is a popular disease which can be found in millions of people all over the world. And millet is an effective food staple in a lot of developing countries in which diabetes is less usually found. Perhaps, it is said like that because one of the main effects of millet is reducing the chance of suffering from type 2 diabetes . That is thanks to the large amount of magnesium which is found in this grain. In addition, magnesium is considered to be the most necessary mineral so as to increase the efficiency of insulin as well as glucose receptors in your body, thus preventing this common disease. According to a study on the people with diabetes who have diets with magnesium and those who have the diets without magnesium, it has presented that a 30% reduction in diabetes can been seen the populations which are divided between the diets without or with magnesium.
4. Millet Health Benefits – Boost Digestive Health
Another advantage which ought to be listed as one of the amazing millet health benefits for health is boosting digestive health. Why can it help you? It is able to help in removing the gastrointestinal system along and removing the problems such as excess gas, cramping, constipation, as well as bloating. In addition, by regulating the digestive process, you can also improve the nutrient retention, along with reducing the chance of more dangerous gastrointestinal conditions such as colon cancer or gastric ulcers. Furthermore, regular digestion as well as elimination of waste can help in optimizing your liver, kidney, along with your immune system health because these organ systems are closely linked to your body’s metabolic activities.
See more: A List of 38 Best Foods High in Fiber
5. Millet Health Benefits – Reduce Cancer Risk
As you have known, cancer, including breast cancer, is becoming more and more popular. Thus, preventing this disease is the important thing that you ought to do. According to some recent research, it has shown that fiber is one of the easiest and the best ways in order to inhibit the onset of breast cancer in a lot of women. The fact shows that women are capable of reducing the chances of suffering from breast cancer by more than 50 percent by consuming at least 30 grams of fiber per day. As you know, this type of cancer is one of the deadliest forms of cancer. So eating millet or adding it to your daily diet so as to prevent this common disease is the advice which every woman ought to hear. That’s why one of the amazing millet health benefits is reducing the risk of suffering from cancer, particularly breast cancer. 
6. Millet Health Benefits – Detoxify Your Body
There are a lot of antioxidants which are found in millet. Do you know that? Antioxidants are effective in neutralizing the free radicals which are one of the common causes of cancer. Likewise, they can clean up the toxins from your body as well. Plus, ellagic acid, curcumin, quercetin, and a lot of different beneficial catechins are possible to help to divest your system of foreign agents as well as toxins by boosting the proper excretion, together with neutralizing the enzymatic activity in these organs.
7. Millet Health Benefits – Improve Respiratory System
Some studies have shown that millet is able to improve the quality of life for those people who suffer from childhood asthma, together with preventing it from progressing in the first place. Even though several evidence is still debatable, it is presented that less asthma attacks and wheezing was seen in a lot of children have the large intakes of the grains such as millet. Nevertheless, as wheat is a popular allergen which is related to wheezing as well as asthma, millet doesn’t contain the similar components and doesn’t consist of the negative effect.
8. Millet Health Benefits – Provide Energy
As mentioned early, millet is believed to be an incredibly cheap source of energy as well as nutrition, which is the reason why it is usually eaten as the staple in poorer, developing countries. In addition, it contains the high starch content which supplies energy and it is a great source of protein, along with fiber. Furthermore, the amino acids which are found in millet, particularly pearl millet, are much easier for your body to digest than those amino acids which are found in wheat. For all the reasons above, providing energy is one of the wonderful millet health benefits.
9. Millet Health Benefits – Help To Lose Weight
Another benefit of the wonderful millet health benefits for overall health is helping to lose some weight when you add it to your diet every day. Besides that, thanks to the high protein and fiber content in millet, it will fill you full, together with keeping you feeling full for a long time. Plus, it will give you a constant source of energy. Therefore, you will not need to eat any snack after having meals which consist of millet anymore.
10. Millet Health Benefits – Inhibit Anemia
If you are looking for something that is related to the millet health benefits, inhibiting anemia is also mentioned. But why? As you can see, anemia usually happens because of the lack of iron. However, as mentioned above, millet includes a lot of iron which is the needed mineral in order to combat anemia . Also, vitamin C that can help your body in absorbing iron into your bloodstream is found in millet, too. That’s why consuming millet or adding it to your foods is a natural effective treatment for anemia. In addition, there is a simple way which you can do. That is taking the iron supplements.
11. Millet Health Benefits – Inhibit Premature Aging
In order to prevent the premature aging which you can see on your skin, why don’t you try using millet? As you have seen, millet has two main strong amino acids which are called Lysine and Methionine. Do you know that? Both amino acids are able to help in creating collagen. In addition, collagen plays an important role in keeping your skin firm, stopping sagging of your skin, together with stopping wrinkles forming.
12. Millet Health Benefits – Increase Bone Health
When talking about the amazing millet health benefits for health, it has to be said that increasing the strength of your bones. As mentioned above, millet is considered to be a wonderful source of calcium, along with vitamin D. That is the reason why it is usually advised to eat millet so as to strengthen your bones as well as your teeth. Furthermore, millet is capable of helping to avoid several bone diseases, including osteoporosis, in the later life. Additionally, it is a good way to provide your children with more calcium which they need meanwhile their teeth, along with their bones, are developing.
13. Millet Health Benefits – Avoid Hair Loss
What do you usually do in order to avoid hair loss? You may try to use something chemical such as shampoo or conditioner to deal with this problem, right? However, when you use the chemical treatment, it sometimes brings some side effects to you. So why don’t you use something natural? For instance, you can use millet in this case. Why is it said like that? In general, hair consists of protein which is known as keratin. As you can see, keratin is really responsible for the components of the hair strands in everybody. Furthermore, millet is very beneficial in this situation because it contains a lot of protein that can help to strengthen your hair manes, together with making them become less disposed to breakage as well. Usually, the main reason causing hair loss is the increased cortisol levels in your body. And in order to deal with this problem, you ought to consume more magnesium. As mentioned early, millet is a rich source of magnesium. Or in other words, millet is one of the natural treatments for hair loss.
14. Millet Health Benefits – Avoid Sun Damage
Avoiding sun damage is also considered to be one of the millet health benefits for your skin. Why is it said like that? That is due to selenium, vitamin E, as well as vitamin C. As you can see, these components have effects in inhibiting the damage to your skin through the blazing sun rays. Especially, it also helps you to avoid skin cancer as well. Therefore, it is a wonderful idea to consume millet regularly so as to get rid of the damage from the sun.
That’s all about top 14 millet health benefits for overall health, hair, and skin. So, in order to get these benefits which are mentioned above, you ought to add millet to your diet every day. If you are worried about how to cook millet, these following cooking recipes are what you need.
Recipe 1: Boiling Millet
This is the easiest and simplest way which you can follow to cook millet at home.
What you need:
- A pan or a pressure cooker, depending on what you have in your kitchen.
- A glass of millet
- Three cups of water
How to do:
- The first step is to pour water into the pan or the pressure cooker.
- After the water is poured, you pour the millet which has just been washed carefully into the pan.
- Then you bring it to cook.
- Finally, until the water evaporates completely, you turn off the flame and take it off. After that, you allow it to stay.
Now you can enjoy this cooked millet with rasam or sambhar. In general, a lot of people cook millet and eat it instead of rice once a week weekly.
Learn more: Top 18 Natural Sun Damaged Skin Treatment
Recipe 2: Millet – Stuffed Peppers
This is also a wonderful recipe for you cook millet and it is very easy to do.
What you need:
- A cup of millet
- Four cups of water
- Four cubes of vegetable bouillon
- Five bell peppers with the medium size
- Three tomatoes with the medium size which need to be chopped
- A can of black beans, drained
How to do:
- The first step is to put the water, vegetable bouillon and millet into a saucepan and boil it.
- Then you cover the saucepan as well as reduce the heat.
- After that, you allow it to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Now you take the peppers and cut their tops, remove their cores and seeds. Then you put them aside.
- As soon as the millet is well done, you stir in the black beans as well as tomatoes.
- When everything is ready, you put it into the peppers till filled.
- Finally, you put the peppers into the glass baking dish and use the plastic wrap to cover them, along with cooking in the microwave for approximately 10 minutes.
So now, why don’t you try making or enjoying this food?
Recipe 3: Hearty Multigrain Bread
Another easy recipe which you can make at home is the way to make hearty multigrain bread.
What you need:
- Three – fourth cup of water
- A tablespoon of butter
- A teaspoon of salt
- Two tablespoons of sunflower seeds
- A tablespoon of sesame seeds
- A tablespoon of flax seeds
- A tablespoon of millet
- A tablespoon of quinoa 
- A cup of bread flour
- A cup of whole wheat flour
- A tablespoon of dry milk flour
- A quarter cup of packed brown sugar
- One and a half tablespoons of bread machine yeast
How to do:
- Firstly, you mix all ingredients well together.
- Then you put this mixture in the baking dish.
- Next, you bake it for about 3 hours.
- Finally, you take it out and enjoy your food when everything is ready.
Get also: 15 Benefits of Sesame Oil for Skin Care
Recipe 4: Puffed Millet Squares
Puffed millet squares recipe is also very easy for you to make at home.
What you need:
- A half cup of natural peanut butter
- A half cup of honey
- A half teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Three and a half cups of puffed millet cereal
- A half cup of dried mix fruit which has been chopped
How to do:
- The first step is to take an 8×8 pan and then you grease it.
- Then you mix honey, peanut butter as well as salt well together in a big saucepan.
- Next, you bring this saucepan to boil.
- Now, you add vanilla extract to it.
- After that, you turn off the heat and stir it in dried fruit as well as millet.
- You press this mixture into the different prepared pan and put it into the fridge for about one hour.
- Finally, what you need to do is to enjoy your food.
Recipe 5: Vegetable Birdseed Pilaf
This is also an easy and simple recipe which you can follow to do at home.
What you need:
- One and a quarter cups of millet which have been washed and drained
- Two and a half cups of vegetable broth
- A tablespoon of olive oil
- A chopped onion
- Six cloves garlic which has been minced
- A package of frozen chopped spinach (10 ounces)
- A cup of frozen peas
- Three – fourth cup of white wine
- A teaspoon of minced fresh rosemary
- Four chopped plum tomatoes
- A half cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Ground black pepper as well as salt in order to taste
How to do:
- The first step is to cook millet in a big saucepan over the medium heat and keep stirring for about 5 to 8 minutes or till it is toasted and fragrant.
- The second step is to boil vegetable broth in another big saucepan. After it boils, you cover the saucepan, and reduce the heat to low, together with allowing it to simmer for 20 minutes or more.
- The next step is to put olive oil into a skillet and cook onion as well as garlic over the medium heat for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- After that, you stir peas, spinach, and onion mixture into millet well.
- Then you go on stirring after you add rosemary as well as wine.
- Next, you raise the heat to medium, cover this saucepan and continue cooking for 10 minutes. Remember that you sometimes need to stir it.
- Now, you add black pepper, salt, along with tomatoes, to this mixture and cover the saucepan. You still keep cooking for about 3 minutes or until the tomatoes soften.
- Finally, you remove the heat, take the saucepan out and then stir this mixture with Parmesan cheese.
It is time for you to enjoy your food.
In short, there are a lot of millet health benefits, all of which are mentioned above. However, for some people, millet may cause some side effects, including allergies. That’s why you ought to consult the doctor’s advice before you consume millet. In case you want to know more information about the different ingredients, you should spend a little time on visiting our main page Herbal Remedies. And if you know more information about the millet health benefits for overall health, skin, and hair or you have any questions related to this topic, please do not hesitate to let us know by leaving us a message or a comment. We promise to response your message as well as your comment as soon as we can.