Diarrhea is also spelled diarrhoea, which is a common condition that can lead to loss of fluid and dehydration. Some symptoms of dehydration are loss of skin stretchiness. This problem will lose skin color, increase heart rate, decrease urination and diarrhea is almost caused by parasites, viruses, and bacteria. You can get some featured symptoms of diarrhea are cramping, loose stool, thin stool, watery stool, nausea, fever, vomiting, frequent bowel movements. In this article, AllRemedies.com will show you top 29 natural home remedies for diarrhea in adults. This article is just for informational purpose only so you should go to see the doctor if the problem is serious.
Top 29 Natural Home Remedies For Diarrhea In Adults
1. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Drink More Fluids
Diarrhea will cause dehydration and drinking water and fluids is one of the best home remedies for diarrhea. Whenever getting this digestive problem, you need to drink plenty of water and liquid. Water is very important because every part of the body needs water to live. Moreover, diarrhea dehydrates your body and you should apply enough fluid in body. You should drink at least 8 glasses of water each day and add more fluids through daily diets. Specifically, male should drink 13 cups of water every day and female should intake 9 cups of water daily. Other good options for adults are broth, teas, sports drinks, carrot juice, celery juice, water, etc. Keep hydrating is very important and necessary to get rid of diarrhea naturally and effectively.
2. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Banana
Like other home remedies for diarrhea, banana can help you get rid of diarrhea fast and naturally at home. Actually, eating banana can reduce depression, increase energy, protect muscles, support digestion, be rich in pectin, stimulate bacteria, heal constipation, and treat diarrhea.
Knowledge is half the battle.
Knowing what to eat is only part of the path to success. Here are detailed instructions to use banana for treating diarrhea:
- Being great in fiber, electrolyte, and potassium, you should eat ripe bananas each day.
- You should eat a few bananas to relieve the symptoms of diarrhea without taking drugs.
3. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Yogurt
Yogurt contains bifid bacterium and lactobacillus acidophilus, which is very useful for diarrhea. Additionally, this ingredient is high in lactic acid and you will be surprised about the function of yogurt in treating diarrhea. Bacteria in yogurt are also called live cultures and can damage bad bacteria and will restore good bacteria in intestine. Yogurt includes probiotic and it can reduce diarrhea according to a report of American Medical Association. Simply, you just eat some bowls of yogurt each day to relieve symptoms of diarrhea. You can add banana into yogurt to have a better taste.
4. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Ginger
Ginger is a flowering plant and its root is used to be a spice and it was used in almost of countries in the world. Ginger produces a fragrant and hot spice and it is a good ingredient in a lot of dishes. Along with health benefits, ginger is great in treating diarrhea, reducing abdominal pain, cramps, diarrhea, etc. The method to use ginger for diarrhea is:
- Grate a ginger piece and mix with honey, eat the mixture to improve digestion. Do not drink water right after drinking this fluid.
- Alternatively, you can drink ginger tea 2-3 times each day to eliminate signs of diarrhea. The way to make ginger tea is so simple, you can slice a piece of ginger and add it into cup of water, boil for some minutes, strain, and put some honey before you drink it.
5. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are natural home remedies for diarrhea you should take advantage of. These seeds are used in healing many conditions such as constipation, stomachache, loss of appetite, gastritis, heart diseases, triglycerides, atherosclerosis, kidney conditions, bronchitis, infections, tuberculosis, coughs, diabetes, and so on. Moreover, fenugreek seeds contain mucilage content and it will fight diarrhea very well. The method is:
- Chew a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds with a tablespoon of yogurt.
- Another option is to mix yogurt, cumin seeds, and roasted fenugreek seeds. Combine the mixture 3 times each day to relieve diarrhea.
6. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a beneficial ingredient that is used commonly in chutneys, food preservatives, vinaigrettes, marinades, and salad dressings. Also, apple cider vinegar contains malic acid and acetic acid that is very helpful for weight loss, healing blood sugar, removing dandruff, soothing sore throat, relieving foot odor, healing digestive problems, clearing up skin, healing sunburn, and whitening your teeth. Certainly, apple cider vinegar is used in healing diarrhea and this is the method:
- Mix a cup of water with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Drink the mixture 1-2 times per day to get rid of diarrhea symptoms.
7. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Carrot Soup
Carrot is a kind of root vegetable; its color is yellow, white, red, purple, and orange color. The eaten part of carrot is taproot and it is widely used in many countries to make salads, cuisines, soups, and other healthy dishes. Carrot has antiseptic property and carrot soup is especially useful for treating diarrhea. Furthermore, carrot supplies a lot of necessary nutrients that are lost when getting diarrhea. Here is the instruction how to cook carrot soup for diarrhea.
- Wash some carrots.
- Cook carrots with some water for 15 minutes.
- Drain the mixture and add some salt to taste.
- You can eat this soup each day in some days to get rid of diarrhea.
- You also can add honey, lemon juice, and sugar into carrot juice to taste.
8. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – White Rice
White rice is very common in your family, right? White rice is nutritious ingredient and it is great in vitamin B1, iron, vitamin B2, and other nutrients. White rice has shiny, white, and bright appearance and you should use plain white rice to get rid of diarrhea signs. The way to use white rice is:
- Cook white rice and eat this ingredient every day to improve digestion and harden your stools.
- Eat some plain white rice with spices and sauces.
- Increase white rice when you get more diarrheas.
There are a lot of other natural home remedies for diarrhea in adults presented in this article, then, if you want to discover more, continue reading it!
9. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Chamomile Tea
Chamomile is also spelled chamomile and it is a common plant of asteraceae family. This ingredient is used commonly in treating hemorrhoids, gastrointestinal conditions, ulcers, insomnia, menstrual diseases, muscle spasm, inflammation, and hay fever. Chamomile includes antispasmodic property that can relieve abdominal pain, diarrhea, and stomach disorders. It can reduce inflammation very well at home. The method is:
- You steep a teaspoon of chamomile flowers, a teaspoon of peppermint leaves, and a glass of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink the chamomile tea for a few times each day.
- You also can replace green tea to improve digestive function.
10. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Black Seed Oil
You can use black seed oil to cure diarrhea constipation, asthma, colic, and gas. In addition, black seed oil can reduce intestinal worms, nasal congestion, toothache, headache, parasites, hemorrhoids, cough, allergies, cholesterol reduction, healing blood pressure, menstruation, and birth control. To treat diarrhea, you can use black seed oil, you can follow this instruction:
- Combine a glass of plain yogurt with a teaspoon of black seed oil.
- Eat the mixture twice each day to get rid of diarrhea signs.
Try to use home remedies for diarrhea, keep reading the writing and you will get more useful treatments.
11. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Eat Brat Diet
There are many reasons that can cause diarrhea including stress, bacteria from foods, living environment, using alcohol, and using medications. But you can treat this condition naturally without taking drugs at home and BRAT is such an ingredient. BRAT means Bananas, Rice, Apples, And Toast, which is one of the best home remedies for diarrhea for adults and children. Doctors suggest that eating BRAT is very useful for healing diarrhea. The reason is that BRAT is good in fiber, nutrients, and properties to eliminate diarrhea consistently. Moreover, BRAT diet can supply more nutrients that lost during diarrhea.
12. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Avoid Some Foods And Drinks
Along with healthy foods such as banana, rice, apples, carrot that can help you improve health and treat digestive problem including diarrhea, you should avoid drinking alcohol, caffeine, and avoid eating some foods such s seasoned foods, high-fiber foods, fatty foods, and dairy products. Make sure that diarrhea is a sensitive issue in your digestive system and it can be allergic with some foods you intake every day. Some other foods that can cause your diarrhea more several are cauliflower, soft cheese, milk, peas, onions, cabbage, ice cream, butter, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, beans, and diet soda.
13. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Choose Sports Drinks
Sports drinks are available in many flavors and they work for your diarrhea because of salt and sugar content, which absorb your water and you can use sports drink by combining apple juice and a teaspoon of salt. A little salt will help you absorb fluids and make your liquid more delicious when drinking. You can keep drinks at room temperature and you should get warm drink more than using cold drink. If you want to supply more liquids with drinks, let choose sports drinks and you will get ease with them.
14. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Apple
Apple is crunchy, delicious and it is one of the most popular fruits in the world. This fruit is rich in phyto-nutrients and some antioxidants that can promote health and prevent some diseases including diarrhea. Apple can be used in cider production, eating raw, or cooking delicious dishes. Apple is high in fiber and it belongs to BRAT diet mentioned above. Fresh apple is really helpful in supplying fiber and relieving stomachache. You might cook apple to digest easier and get more natural sugars, nutrients, and pectin. You can use 2-3 apples each day to speed up healing process and get rid of diarrhea shortly.
15. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Chicken Soup
Suffering diarrhea, you will lose nutrients, water. As the result, you need to add more fluids into body to get more energy, strength and fighting illness more quickly. However, you should not use chicken into fatty dishes because it can cause your diarrhea more serious. Chicken soup is very delicious and healthy and it is appropriate to everybody including children and adults. This remedy is so simple and you totally can eat this soup at home. You can add carrots into this soup to get the best advantages.
16. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Flour
Flour is a powerful ingredient and it is made from roots, seeds, and some cereal grains. This ingredient is commonly used in making different dishes, cakes, and it appears in almost of North African, Indian, Middle Eastern, North American, European, Oceanic, etc. In fact, flour is concerned as one of the best home remedies for diarrhea and improves your health. But the ingredient should be processed. The solution for diarrhea with flour is:
- Pour a cup of water with flour. Whisk it frequently and add some salt, stir well.
- Drink it immediately to reduce symptoms of diarrhea.
17. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Potato
Potato is a beneficial ingredient due to its amazing anti-inflammatory property. This food also alkalizes body well and reduces back pain, joint pain, eczema, supports weight loss, reduces cholesterol, improves health, heals gout, and detoxifies your body perfectly. This ingredient is great in starch and it will improve digestive system, thicken stool, and prevent diarrhea. The way to use potato for diarrhea is:
- Get 2 washed potatoes, peel, and chop them into different cubes.
- Boil potatoes with some waters.
- Strain, cool naturally, add some salt, and drink it through the day.
18. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Salt And Sugar
Discovering home remedies for diarrhea, you should add sugar and salt into the list. The reason is that the solution can work for digestion. This solution can keep hydrating, balance electrolytes during diarrhea. What is the remedy for diarrhea with sugar and salt? Follow it:
- Boil a glass of water and cool it with room temperature.
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of sugar in the water.
- Stir it frequently until salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Drink it immediately and use it several times each day.
19. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Orange Peel Tea
Tea has a lot of advantages and it can treat diarrhea as well as make you feel fresher and healthier. Drinking a cup of tea before working will help you work for successfully and drinking tea also can aid to heal some issues like diarrhea. This is an old remedy for diarrhea that people used for a long time ago. You should store some oranges in home to prevent when diarrhea visits. The method is:
- Chop peels of orange into small pieces and put them into a pot.
- Pour it in a cup of boiling water, cover the pot and leave it until the water is cooled.
- Strain orange peel and add some honey to get a sweet drink.
- Drink it immediately.
20. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Blueberries
Blueberries are nutritious fruits and they are really great home remedies for diarrhea you should eat. These fruits are amazing in improving health benefits and they can cure many conditions containing diarrhea. Dealing diarrhea with blueberries is very simple. You just need to eat these fruits each day to calm your stomach because it has a good source of anthocyanosides. Blueberries include antioxidant and antibacterial content and tannins that can fight diarrhea successfully.
21. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Take The Rest
Whenever getting any condition, you need to take a rest and suffering from diarrhea, you will be dehydrated and you should take time to relax. Resting will repair your body, restore energy, and get chance to fight health condition. You might take time to rest on bed, eat some soups, broths, and drink teas, and so on. By doing this remedy, you will relieve pain, cramps, and reduce symptoms of diarrhea effectually. You also can listen to some favorite music or simply view some peaceful surroundings to make your mind relaxed. You also can do some light yoga poses for relaxation.
22. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Eat Small Meals
In order to make your stomach happier, you should divide meals into small meals. The reason is that big meals will burden your stomach and it will cause your digestive system upset. Eating big meals might cause vomiting or nausea feelings and your stomach might be tummy and become sick. In order to cure diarrhea and reduce symptoms of this condition shortly and naturally, you should eat foods in different times per day and avoid eating near the bedtime.
23. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Avoid Fructose Fruits
Although fruits can supply significant amount of water, you should not eat any kind of fruit when getting diarrhea. The reason is that fructose rich fruits will harden your digestive system. Several fructose fruits are dried prunes, dried peaches, raisins, zante, dried apricots, cherries, pears, grapes, kiwi, blackberries, watermelon, star fruit, etc. As the result, you should get a list to eat healthiest food for your condition. Obviously, you cannot eat anything you want whenever getting any health problem containing diarrhea. Now, keep reading the article and get more home remedies for diarrhea.
24. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Keep Clean
Keep clean is very important to prevent diarrhea and it is one of the simplest home remedies for diarrhea. Diarrhea can be caused by bacteria from foods. Make sure that you do not eat damaged foods and do not eat raw foods such as raw vegetables, sea foods, and street foods. Wash your hands before meals and after going to bathroom and use fresh water to cook recipes every day. Diarrhea is a contagious disease so you need to prevent bacteria and viruses transferring from person to person. If your problem is not decrease, you should go to see the doctor immediately before being late.
25. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Pomegranate Juice
Pomegranate is another powerful fruit for health. This fruit is high in phytochemical compounds, polyphenols, flavonoids that can cure heart disease, and prevent cancer very well. Pomegranate has more antioxidants than cranberries, blueberries, green tea, and red wine and this fruit is very helpful for improving heart and healing blood vessels. Moreover, pomegranate can reduce blood pressure, cholesterol, reduce risks of cardiovascular diseases, relieve osteoporosis, and reduce depression. Simply, you drink 3-4 cup of pomegranate juice each day to relieve symptoms of diarrhea. Simply, you wash pomegranate, put it into a blender with some water, strain, and drink it right after that.
26. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Guava
Guava is used commonly to treat stomachache, diarrhea and it is proper to children and adults.
- Whenever getting diarrhea, you can get dried guava leaves, dried mandarin peel, green tea leaves, and fresh ginger, boil them in water and drink it several times per day.
- You also can get dry mandarin peel, dried young guava leaves, baked ginger. Boil those ingredients into water and drink the liquid twice per day.
- Another option is to wash young guava leaves and chew them. This remedy might keep hydrated and balance your stomach quickly.
- Eating guava fruit is also a good choice in case you get diarrhea.
27. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Litchi
Litchi or litchee is a subtropical and tropical fruit tree is a fruit in summer and it is very sweet to eat. Litchi is also used in making medicines to treat health conditions including diarrhea. This kind of fruit is cultivated in many countries in the world. Along with using fruits for health advancement, litchi can be used to eliminate health problems naturally. For healing diarrhea, you can get some amount of dried litchi seeds, grind and boil in water to drink. This simple remedy can be applied for children as well as adults. Obviously, you should not throw out litchi seeds when eating them. Try this and you will surprise about benefits of this fruit.
28. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Mangosteen
Mangosteeen is a tropical tree originated from Indonesia, Sunda Islands. This tree is grown in many Asia countries and South American regions. Mangosteen is fibrous, juicy, tangy, and sweet. Scientific name of mangosteen is Garcinia mangostana L and it is grown to get fruit. This is a beneficial fruit for health and it can cure diarrhea with mangosteen by following this method:
- We can take bark from mangosteen tree, cut it into different circles put them into the pot with some cups of water, boil and steam it for 20-30 minutes.
- Drink it warm several times each day to get the best result.
29. Home Remedies For Diarrhea – Sapodilla Fruit
Using home remedies for diarrhea is really safe and effective and you should try. Sapodilla fruit is cool, sweet, fresh, and laxative that can be used in healing diarrhea. You can use this fruit to cure stomach problem when eating more protein and fat with this instruction:
- Take 15g of green sapodilla fruit and put them into water, steam and drink it twice per day after meals. Drink it from 3-5 days to get the desired results.
- You can alternate the bark of sapodilla, wash off with water and boil with some water for 15 minutes. Drink the liquid twice per day for getting rid of diarrhea well.
If you want to get more useful and home remedies for many skin and health problems, you might visit our main Home Remedies page.
After reading the article about top 29 natural home remedies for diarrhea in adults, I hope that you have learned some useful treatments to get rid of the stomach problem shortly and naturally. This article is for informational purpose only, so you should go to see the doctor immediately if you cannot get better effect from those home remedies. If you have any question, please leave your comments below and I will respond to you soon.