Osteopenia is quite a common condition that often occurs in the elder. It is characterized by a decrease in the bone density, which likely causes bone weakness and even a bone break if severe. There are a number of factors contributing to osteopenia such as age, race, activities when young, lifestyle, and medical use of them there is something natural that cannot be changed, but it is also necessary to prevent osteopenia as effectively as possible.
The natural treatments for osteopenia include a healthy lifestyle, healthy diet, along with many medical and natural methods. If the treatments are not available, your bones will be weaker but not excess to be diagnosed with osteoporosis, a more bone condition when bones are so thin that easily break. If your bones become thinner over time, osteopenia may probably turn into osteoporosis as a result.
This is time now for AllRemedies.com to show you 6 best natural treatments for osteopenia and osteoporosis in adults. All of the treatments including professional medication, natural remedies, and proper lifestyle have been investigated and used for a long time to deal with this bone condition. For those who are suffering from osteopenia or taking care of someone with this condition, just spend a few minutes reading our article to have more experience!
6 Best Natural Home Treatments For Osteopenia And Osteoporosis In Adults
1. Do Exercise
Keeping a healthy lifestyle is one of the treatments for osteopenia and osteoporosis as well as for maintaining good health on the whole. With a healthy lifestyle, your bones are kept healthy and always like that. For those with osteopenia, a healthy lifestyle can lower the chances of developing osteoporosis , so they should follow proper exercising and eating schedule.
The most important thing when doing exercise is choosing the right exercise for the bones because not every type of exercise is suitable for bone with density loss. In fact, exercise program and schedule should be created in a manner in which risks of injuries and falls are minimized instead of doing wrong exercises that cause spontaneous fractures.
Like muscles, your bones will become stronger when you make it active all the time. The best choice for those with osteopenia is weight-bearing exercises including jogging, walking, dancing, climbing, weight lifting, and some more physical activities. They are considered the best moves for your bones as they make your body fight against gravity. To achieve the quick result, the patients with osteopenia should follow these exercises on a regular basis, which has been advised at least 30 minutes per day. Not only be exercises treatments for osteopenia but they are also effective methods for dealing with stress, so it’s no doubt starting a healthy exercising program immediately.
2. Healthy Diet
Besides exercising, keeping a healthy diet is also one of the treatments for osteopenia. This bone condition is characterized by your deficiency in calcium and vitamin D, so you should take in more foods rich in the 2 nutrients in your diet. Some typical foods rich in calcium are known as sardines, salmon, green vegetables like broccoli and collard greens, Tofu, cheese, yogurt, and low-fat milk. These kinds of food are obviously not difficult to find, so you should consume them more.
About vitamin D, your body can absorb on its own when you expose to the sunlight. You should sometimes spend, especially early morning and late afternoon, outdoors in the sunshine so that your body can absorb a necessary natural amount of vitamin D. however, avoid exposing too much in the sun as this can raise the risks of skin cancer as well. Along with keeping your body outside, you should consume some foods rich in vitamin D to support your bones. They are grains, some varieties of fish like tuna, salmon, and mackerel, beef liver, egg yolks, cheese, fish liver oils, and fortified breakfast cereals and juices, yogurt, milk products, and margarine.
3. Maintain A Healthy Lifestyle
Along with a healthy exercise program and healthy diet, you should give up some habits that gradually damage your bones like alcohol, smoking, and caffeine as one of the treatments for osteopenia and osteoporosis.
Firstly, you should restrict the consumption of alcohol. Keep it in moderation with no more than 2 drinks a day for men and one drink a day for women. The reason making alcohol harmful for those with osteopenia is that the over-consumption of wine, beer, or liquor can effect on the calcium balance in your body and the system activities on secreting hormones for healthy bones. In addition, if you are drunk, the risk to fall certainly increases, which in turn damages your bones to break.
Secondly, you should cut off back the take in of caffeine and salt as both of them can cause your body to lose more calcium and even bones. According to the studies before, caffeinated coffee and sodas are associated with osteopenia, so try to quit them if possible or just decrease the consumption. In addition, you should check your foods to remove ones containing too much salt harmful to your low-density bones.
Finally, quit smoking as soon as possible. The studies have also indicated that cigarette smoking is related to lower bone density indeed.
4. Drug Treatments For Osteopenia
The quick treatments for osteopenia may be drugs but they are, of course, not really good for your health because of possible side effects. There will be some cases in which you suffer from a broken bone and this is the time your doctor prescribed medicine in order to lower the chances of osteoporosis as well as prevent more fractures. Some typical medications treating osteopenia and prevent osteoporosis are listed as below:
- Bisphosphonates: This kind of meditations plays a role in slowing the natural process breaking down bone in the body. You should at least keep the current level of bone or further get a small increase in the bone density . In fact, Bisphosphonates are widely used for postmenopausal women to prevent and treat osteoporosis. They include risedronic acid (Actonel), ibandronic acid (Boniva), alendronic acid (Fosamax), andzoledronic acid (Reclast). For those with osteopenia, bisphosphonates should be taken once weekly once monthly up to each case. However, Reclast should be just consumed once a year because of possible injection.
- Raloxifene (Evista): Raloxifene is one of the drugs or treatments for osteopenia. It can be used toprevent and treat osteoporosis. In addition, the drug can also lower the chances of developing breast cancer though it needs more research to make this point clear.
- Teriparatide (Forteo): Teriparatideis a drug with the similar effects as a hormone made by the parathyroid glands. It is known as the first medicine that helps the body create new bone, so you can take the drug on a regular basis under the direction of your doctor.
- Hormone replacement therapy: hormone replacement therapy is one of the treatments for osteopenia. In fact, this therapy is rarely recommended by doctors to everyone because it can cause blood clots in the legs and lungs and other health problems though it is effective in treating bone loss indeed. Hormone replacement therapy is often used by women with the double effects on dealing with menopause symptoms and treating osteopenia if they get this bone condition.
Any of these medications can cause you some side effects, so you should consult a doctor before taking one.
5. Natural Treatments For Osteopenia
Besides the medical treatments for osteopenia, the patient with this bone condition can also use natural therapies with fewer side effects. If you have already had a broken bone, you are certainly recommended for medications, but before having a fracture, you can build stronger bones with a wide range of nutritional supplements and herbs, especially ones containing much calcium and vitamin D.
According to the study before, most adults should take in 600 to 800 units of vitamin D and 1,000 to 1,200 milligrams of calcium every day. As mentioned above, there are many kinds of foods rich in the two nutrients for you to add to the diet, but if you can’t take enough, you should ask doctors for a supplement and avoid exposing too much in the sunlight.
Some nutritional supplements help strengthen bones such as copper, boron, zinc, manganese, silicon, strontium, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, folic acid, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), and omega-3 fatty acids found in fish including docosahexaenoic (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA).
If you don’t like taking in these supplements, you can consume some herbs like black cohosh, red clover, horsetail, as natural treatments for osteopenia. However, it is also advised to consult your doctor before consuming any herbal or taking any nutritional supplements.
6. Who Should Take Therapy?
Besides maintaining a healthy lifestyle as one of the effective treatments for osteopenia, hormone replacement therapy should be applied in some cases. As mentioned above, the therapy should just be applied to postmenopausal women, and moreover, they are also used for men more than 50 ages with some of the factors as follows:
- History of vertebral or hip fracture, which identifies one for osteoporosis.
- T-score -2.5 at the femoral spine or neck, which shows a cause of bone loss even the spread of cancers to your bones.
- T-score from -1.0 to -2.5 at the spine AND or femoral neck
- Those with 10-year fracture probabilities.
After reading the article on 6 best natural treatments for osteopenia and osteoporosis in adults in our main Home Remedies page, hope that you can know how to treat this bone condition effectively with both the professional and natural methods along with maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Please let us know if you have any question by leaving them below and share with us other natural treatments for osteopenia if you really get.