I – Overview
Athlete’s foot, called tinea pedis , is one of the common skin problems on the feet. Although it is not serious, it can make you uncomfortable. Athlete’s foot is caused by the tinea fungus that grows on the feet. It can easily spread from person to person if you contact with the affected person directly, or touch the infected surface. The best condition for the growth of athlete’s foot is warm, moist environment such as sweaty socks, wet shower floor, locker room floors, or swimming pools. In this kind of condition, tinea fungus grows on the foot causes a crack, sting, hurt, and unpleasant smell for your feet. As the common fungus, tinea pedis can infect to all of the age especially men and boys. Actually, athlete’s feet can be easily treated by one common ingredient in your kitchen – garlic. Using garlic is safer than using any medicine. You can consult remedies on how to use garlic for athlete’s foot treatment from our site AllRemedies.com. However, before studying remedies, you should see the reason why garlic has benefits on healing athlete’s feet.
II – Why Does Garlic Help To Treat Athlete’s Foot?
Garlic is an amazing food because it is not only used as a spice in foods but also has therapeutic effects. Garlic is also good for skin problems. One research was conducted on mice in Swiss found that garlic contains a best chemopreventive action. Garlic delays the development of skin papillomas and simultaneously decreases the size and number of papillomas .
Moreover, garlic contains “ajoene” which is especially effective in treating athlete’s foot and has antimicrobial properties. Garlic has organosulphur groups that may act as metal chelators, strong nucleophiles or electrophiles and thereby confer antimicrobial effects on this compound. In 2000, one research is conducted by a group of scientists to study the effect of ajoene to athlete’s foot that compares between 50 people who apply mild garlic solution twice a day in one week and people who apply the popular drug Lamisil. After 2 months, they found that a garlic solution that contains 1 percent of ajoene had 100 percent cure rate while 1 percent of Lamisil has 94 percent .
III – Top 10 Effective Ways How Use Garlic For Athlete’s Foot Treatment
There are lots of methods and remedies that using garlic for Athlete’s foot treatment. You can add garlic to your daily meal or combine it with other ingredients to apply directly on the infected surface or follow methods below.
1. Baking Soda & Garlic For Athlete’s Foot
Baking soda is a familiar ingredient in our kitchen; it also has abundant benefits for our skin. Baking soda is well-known for its alkaline property that helps balance and regulates our skin’s pH level. When the pH level is at an average level from 4.5 to 6.5, our skin will not be affected by environmental pollution and bacteria. When you have athlete’s foot which means that the pH level is not balanced, it makes the condition for bacteria attack. Therefore, the combination of alkaline properties of baking soda and antimicrobial properties of garlic for athlete’s foot is an effective choice.
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl
- Drop a little of garlic juice and mix it well
- Apply this mixture over your feet and allow it dry
- Wash your feet and use a clean towel to dry it
- Repeat above steps every day for some week until athlete’s foot is reduced.
2. Lemon Juice & Garlic For Athlete’s Foot
Lemon contains a high level of acids that helps kill the fungus causing athlete’s foot. In addition, the astringent properties of lemon juice can dry out the skin and control the infection caused by the fungus to other parts.
- Compound 1 tablespoon of garlic juice and 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- Add 2 tablespoons of water into above mixture
- Use a cotton ball to soak this mixture and wipe your feet.
- Repeat it 1 to 2 times a day.
3. Tea Tree Oil & Garlic For Athlete’s Foot
Another ingredient well-known for the antibacterial properties is tea tree oil. Tea tree oil has an ability to control the development of all fungal. According to the American Cancer Society, more recent studies found that the active ingredients such as terpene hydrocarbons, monoterpenes , and sesquiterpenes  can destroy harmful bacteria and types of fungus. It also reduces the pain and redness on the infected surface and speeds up your healing process.
- Pour 1 liter of warm water to a large bowl
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh fined-chopped garlic and 30 drops of tea tree oil
- Soak your feet in above footbath for 10 to 15 minutes
- Use a clean towel to dry your feet out
- Repeat it one a day until the athlete’s foot is treated
4. Olive Oil & Garlic For Athlete’s Foot
- Grind 3 to 5 cloves of garlic to smooth paste
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and mix it well
- Use a cotton pad and apply above mixture over the infected part
- Repeat it 2 to 3 times a day
5. Green Tea & Garlic For Athlete’s Foot
Being a popular drink, green tea is famous for the antibacterial properties. The researchers have started studying the antimicrobial therapy and the potential prevention of infection of green tea. In green tea, three polyphenols including epicatechin-3-gallate (ECG), epigallocatechin (EGC), and epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) have antimicrobial effects that fight against a variety of germs & virus . Thanks to these properties, green tea is widely used to treat types of fungus.
- Boil a liter of water
- Add 6 to 8 tea bags (you can use fresh green tea leaves) in the water
- Steep it for 10 to 15 minutes
- Strain to remove all of the tea bags and tea leaves and soak your feet in this water for 30 to 40 minutes
- Use a towel to dry your feet
- Soak in this foot bath a least 2 times a day till the infection is completely healed
6. Yogurt & Garlic For Athlete’s Foot
Being one kind of probiotic, yogurt contains active bacteria that are very effective in healing and controlling a fungal infection. The acidophilus bacteria in plain yogurt help control fungus infect to other parts. The combination of yogurt and garlic for athlete's foot will bring the best result.
- Blend 3 to 4 cloves garlic and mix with 2 teaspoons of yogurt
- Mix it well and directly apply over the infection part at your feet
- Let this mixture dry on its own
- Wash your feet with warm water and then use a towel to dry
- Repeat this steps 2 times day
7. Onion & Garlic For Athlete’s Foot
Similar to garlic, onion also has antimicrobial properties and helps our body detox to remove all toxins in the body. Using the combination of onion and garlic for athlete’s foot is considered as the powerful method.
- Grind 2 medium sized onion (if it is large, use just 1) and 3 to 4 cloves of garlic
- Strain this mixture to extract liquid
- Use a cotton pad, dip it into garlic onion combination juice and apply directly over your infection area
- Let it about 20 minutes and wash off with water
- Repeat it 2 times a day.
8. Aloe Vera & Garlic For Athlete’s Foot
It cannot deny the benefits of aloe vera to our skin. The hormones auxin and gibberellin in aloe vera is so effective in healing the infection and promoting new cell growth. Beside that effect, due to the anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, you can combine aloe vera with garlic to boost the athlete’s foot treatment
- Clean an aloe vera leaf and extract its gel in a bowl
- Add a teaspoon of ground garlic and mix well
- Directly apply this mixture over the infected surface
- Let it dry for 30 minutes than risen with water
- Use the clean towel to dry it off
- Apply it at least 2 times daily till the athlete’s foot is completely treated
Find more: Top 31 Benefits of Aloe Vera Gel and Juice
9. Apple Cider Vinegar & Garlic For Athlete’s Foot
Apple cider vinegar contains the high level of acid that will help fight against the fungus causing athlete’s foot as well as soften the calluses on your feet. Meanwhile, apple cider vinegar can remove the smell – one of the annoying problems caused by athlete’s foot.
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water with 1:1 ratio (reduce the acid level of vinegar to avoid burning and rashes)
- Add a teaspoon of fresh garlic extract and stir well
- Dip the cotton pad into this water to cover the infected area
- Wait for 10 minutes and then discard it
- Do this proceed 2 times a day
10. Epsom Salt & Garlic For Athlete’s Foot
Epsom salt includes a rich source of magnesium and sulfate, all of which are absorbed through the skin and help to reduce the infection of athlete’s foot.
- Pour 1 liter of warm water in a large bowl
- Add an amount of Epsom salt and 2 teaspoons of fresh ground garlic
- Soak your feet for 30 minutes
- Use a clean towel to dry your feet
IV – Conclusion
Above are some useful methods on how to use garlic for athlete’s foot treatment that you should try at home instead of using medicine. If you know other effective ways or have any question, don’t forget to leave comments in this article. If you want to learn more other natural health treatment, please visit our site How To page to have more information.