Bad breath is a common problem that everyone can be affected. It makes people feel uncomfortable and lose confidence in communication. Bad breath can occur occasionally or can be chronic. Actually, there are some causes of bad breath. The first reason is from your bad habit of taking care of your teeth. If you don’t brush your teeth carefully, pieces of food cannot be cleaned so they stick to your teeth & tongue and facilitate the growth of bacteria. The second reason for bad breath is from food that you consume every day. There are some kinds of food having a strong odor such as garlic, onion, etc. After this food is digested, it will absorb into your bloodstream then going to your lung and affecting your breath. Another serious reason of bad breath is from some health problems such as gum disease, yeast infection, dry mouth, etc. There are a lot of ways to get rid of bad breath in which the easiest method is using baking soda. You can consult some remedies on how to use baking soda for bad breath in our AllRemedies.com site. However, before using it, you should learn why baking soda has effects on getting rid of bad breath.
Why Does Baking Soda Help To Treat Bad Breath?
Baking soda is a familiar ingredient which is found easily in your kitchen. Baking soda or sodium hydrogen carbonate is compounded by sodium and bicarbonate ions. It also has a lot of uses in cooking, baking, beauty, medical, and health. Baking soda is good to treat your oral problems such as teeth, bad breath, and gum disease due to its properties. First of all, baking soda help balance pH level in your mouth. When pH level is high, it causes an increase in acidic in your body, especially in your stomach. A high level of acidic can hurt your stomach, which causes bad breath. Besides, when pH level is balanced (from 6 to 7.5), your body can kill bacteria and virus from food left over in your mouth. Secondly, baking soda has plaque removal benefits. When you don’t brush your teeth carefully, plaques will emerge and cause bad breath. Baking soda has abrasive qualities that will help remove plaques to give you a fresh breath. In addition, baking soda is used to kill the fungus. As mention above, one reason for bad breath is a yeast infection. Thanks to pH level balancing and antimicrobial properties, baking soda kills fungus and keeps your breath fresh.
Top 6 Effective Ways On How To Use Baking Soda For Bad Breath
There are various methods and home remedies on how to use baking soda for bad breath. To keep a fresh breath, you can just use baking soda alone or combine it with other ingredients to increase the effectiveness. You should consult the following methods.
1. Honey And Baking Soda For Bad Breath
Honey has been used for centuries to treat bad breath. Honey contains methylglyoxal which is an antimicrobial compound. Moreover, one research was conducted to exam the antimicrobial properties of Manuka honey. They found that Manuka honey could fight against several human pathogens such as E. coli, Enterobacter aerogenes, S. aureus, etc. . Besides, honey produces hydrogen peroxide which will kill bacteria & fungus in your mouth.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda into a glass of water
- Put 1 teaspoon of honey and mix it well
- Drink it and repeat one a day
Learn more: 25 Health and Beauty Benefits of Manuka Oil
2. Apple Cider Vinegar And Baking Soda For Bad Breath
Similar to baking soda, apple cider vinegar helps balance pH level in your oral cavity to keep your breath fresh. In addition, due to the high level of natural acid, apple cider vinegar will eliminate bacteria causing bad breath in your mouth. It also has an antiseptic property and other elements such as calcium, magnesium, iron, etc. which help remove plaques and enhance your teeth health.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda and a half teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Mix it well
- Put above mixture to your toothbrush and brush your teeth
- Repeat it daily as toothpaste.
- Prepare 1 cup of warm water
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Stir it well
- Drink it regularly or gargle it to keep fresh breath
3. Lemon And Baking Soda For Bad Breath
One common reason for bad breath is dry mouth. Saliva which is produced by salivary gland not only contains calcium and phosphorus for your teeth but also helps kill bacteria in your mouth. Besides, when you eat food, saliva also help the flow of food and water easily get into your stomach. Thus, due to the sourness, lemon stimulates your saliva grand produces more saliva to reduce dry mouth then get rid of bad breath. You can combine lemon and baking soda to boost bad breath treatment process.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda and juice of one lemon
- Pour half cup of water
- Stir it well and gargle
- Repeat it one a day
4. Salt And Baking Soda For Bad Breath
Salt is an essential ingredient in our life and easily found in your kitchen. Salt has widely been used for cleaning your mouth because of its antimicrobial function. It helps get rid of bacteria causing bad breath.
- Prepare 1 cup of warm water
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and salt
- Stir it well and rinse in your mouth
- Repeat above process at least once a day
5. Coconut Oil And Baking Soda For Bad Breath
Using coconut oil is one of the best ways to treat oral problems such as bad breath. Due to its strong antiseptic property, coconut oil combines with enzymes in salvia help inhibit the growth of bacteria causing bad breath. Besides, coconut oil also is good for gum problems.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and 3 tablespoons of baking soda
- Mix this well and put on your toothbrush
- Brush your teeth for 2 or 3 minutes, rinse off with water
- Repeat it at least once a day (you can replace toothpaste with coconut oil and baking soda mixture)
6. Peppermint Oil And Baking Soda For Bad Breath
Peppermint is a popular ingredient included in products for oral and teeth care, such as toothpaste, chewing gum, gargle, etc. Peppermint oil has an antimicrobial function which helps remove bacteria in your mouth . Thus, using peppermint also is an effective choice to refresh your breath
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 3 drops of peppermint essential oil and ¼ cup of water
- Mix it well and use a proper amount to rinse your mouth
- After few minutes, rinse off with water
- Repeat it once or twice a day.
Above is some useful method using baking soda for bad breath that you should try it at home instead of using medicine. If you know other effective ways or have any question, don’t forget to leave comments in this article. If you want to learn more other health treatment, please visit our site Home Remedies to have more information.