Tamarind, which belongs to the Fabaceae family, is a sweet and delicious fruit. It has been used for multiple purposes, including both culinary and medicinal ones, for such a long time. Tamarind is well known for its bushy tree along with evergreen leaves and fruits. People often see tamarind tree develop in pods characterized by brown and long shells. Inside the fruit is a fleshy, sticky, and juicy pulp, where most of the nutrients concentrate. Actually, the fact that tamarind has both sweet and sour taste makes people really like tamarind fruit.
However, many people just eat the fruit without perceiving the great benefits of tamarind. Hence, its uses are limited as a kitchen staple only. As said before, tamarind, for a long time, has been used for medicinal purposes as well; it thus brings us to conduct a new article that presents the benefits of tamarind fruit & juice for both health and beauty. AllRemedies.com would like to show you the best effects of consuming tamarind fruits.
Top 18 Amazing Health & Beauty Benefits Of Tamarind Fruit & Juice
I. Nutritional Value
Although tamarind fruit is quite small in comparison with other fruits, it contains a remarkable quantity of nutrients, in general. It is not overstated if we say that tamarind fruit is a small powerhouse of vitamins and minerals. Researchers also consider it as an ace nutrition-wise.
In fact, in every 100-gram serving of tamarind, we are served with up to 628 milligrams potassium and 28 milligrams sodium. You are also supplied with 36% and 23% of the daily recommended amount of thiamine and magnesium, respectively. Nutritionists pointed out that iron and phosphorus contained in tamarind also account for up to 35% and 16% of the daily requirement. These figures have confirmed the great potential benefits of tamarind that will be released and explained in the next part of the article. Additionally, this sweet and sour fruit is loaded with niacin, vitamin C, copper, calcium, and pyridoxine as well.
Do you know that tamarind contains a significant amount of tartaric acid? Actually, scientists have shown that this powerful antioxidant is carried by tamarind fruit can help to scavenge the harmful factor named free radicals, which have the ability to convert your healthy cells into cancerous ones. Also, the other phytochemicals included in tamarind are limonene, safrole, cinnamic acid, methyl salicylate, geraniol, pyrazine, and alkyl thiazoles.
In specific, a cup of tamarind serves you about 6.88 grams natural sugars, 0.72 grams fat, 287 calories, and 3.36 grams protein. 6.1 out of 100 grams of tamarind are fiber content, which will create the benefits of tamarind for digestion.
Learn also: 31 Health And Beauty Benefits Of Ginkgo Biloba
II. Health Benefits Of Tamarind
1. Good For Digestion
One of the most visible and valuable benefits of tamarind fruit & juice is its ability to boost your digestion health. Generally, tamarind is considered as a natural laxative thanks to the dietary fiber content. As you know, fiber is able to bulk up the digestive stool, thereby making it smoothly move through the intestinal tract. For such a reason, you are supposed to consume tamarind as a fruit or s spice to increase the efficiency of the digestive process. Moreover, tamarind fruit can act as a bilious substance to stimulate the function of bile. In turn, that helps to dissolve food faster and speed up digestion. These facts specify the great benefits of tamarind for your digestion.
In short, things will run through the digestive tract faster and faster thanks to the tamarind consumption. As a result, if you suffer from chronic constipation, tamarind will be a powerful laxative, not a bad solution. Oddly enough, studies also pointed out that tamarind could be an effective weapon to fight against chronic diarrhea.
All of the information above gives us a consensus conclusion that the benefits of tamarind for the digestion health are significant. Therefore, adding it to your diet if you have some problems with your digestive system is usually recommended.
2. Controlling Cholesterol Levels
Another of health benefits of tamarind is controlling the level of cholesterol in your body. As you can see, unhealthy cholesterol is considered as an enemy of your heart health, which increases the risk of heart diseases, actually. Therefore, managing cholesterol levels is an essential task of your body. In general, we suggest you use tamarind as an additional solution for this issue.
The tasty tamarind has an indirect but important effect on the cholesterol levels, which is based on the high fiber content attached. Fiber included in this fruit binds to bile salts that are formed from cholesterol, thus, decreases its reabsorption. As a result, that helps excrete unhealthy cholesterol so that it keeps your heart healthier. People who are from 25 to 50 years old should not ignore our recommendation about the benefits of tamarinds. Actually, they are the ones who have more chance to suffer from heart diseases caused by a high level of excess cholesterol. Food choices are always the main reasons leading to this issue, thereby paying attention to your daily diet. Adding tamarind fruits to your diet in a proper way is not a bad suggestion.
A recipe with tamarind will be released right now.
Ingredients: (for 8 servings)
- Tamarind pulp including seeds: 1 pound
- 18 Pitted Medjool dates
- Superfine sugar: 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons
- Combine tamarind pulp, dates, and 2.5 quarts of water in a pot and boil it up. Then simmer briskly, stirring often
- Mashing tamarind and dates until they break down
- After 15 minutes, turn off the heat and steep for 2 hours
- Use a fine-mesh sieve to strain the mixture. Pressing on the remaining solid parts to get the liquid as much as possible
- Then transfer tamarind to a pitcher. Add sugar and about 3 cups of water. Chill it until cold
- Add some ice cubes and enjoy
Learn more: List of 22 Foods High in Cholesterol to Avoid
3. Good For Blood Circulation And Purification
Benefits of tamarind are various in addition to its good effects on controlling the level of cholesterol. Cardiologists have also pointed out that blood circulation and purification can be improved if you consume tamarind in a proper way and frequency.
On the one hand, the benefits of tamarind for blood purification are based on the high concentration of minerals, fiber, and vitamin C. In other words, the antioxidants contained in tamarinds can actively scavenge free radicals. Therefore, it helps to oxidize and purify your blood.
On the other hand, we say that this pulpy and tasty fruit has good effects on your blood circulation as well thanks to its good source of iron. Actually, 10% of the daily-recommended amount of iron intake can be served by one serving of tamarind. The figure shows how much iron is contained in tamarind, which indirectly confirms the great benefits of tamarind for red blood cells in your body. If you can supply yourself a sufficient amount of iron by eating iron-rich foods, including tamarind, you might be guaranteed the appropriate oxygenation of different organs and muscles to perform properly. In contrast, if you experience an iron deficiency, you might get more risk of anemia, headaches, cognitive disorders, and so on.
Summarily, you are advised to consume tamarind more regularly to reach the benefits of tamarind for your blood circulation as well as purification. You can add tamarind to your diet by the following method.
Recipe: Grilled tamarind soy Denver stakes
- Tamarind chutney or puree: 2 tablespoons
- Boneless Denver stakes: 4
- Low sodium soy sauce: 1/4 cup
- Honey: 2 tablespoons
- Grated ginger: 1 tablespoon
- Minced garlic: half a teaspoon
- Sesame oil: 2 teaspoons
- Chile-garlic sauce: 1.5 teaspoons
- Pepper and salt
- Vegetable oil
- In a plastic bag, mix tamarind, soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and chili sauce. Add salt and ground pepper to taste. Then shake to combine all the ingredients
- Now add four stakes and seal, pressing out extra air
- Place it in the fridge for 4 hours
- Light a grill and grease the grates
- Grill the stakes, turning occasionally and brushing with the remaining marinade for 20 minutes
- After stakes turn brown, transfer it to a cutting board, and slice across the grain
4. Treating Piles
Have you used tamarind fruit to treat piles? It seems that not many people know these benefits of tamarind. It would be a pity if you still do not know about this.
As you may know, piles are considered as a truckload of pain. People who have to live with piles are not able to sit or move freely without certain pain. Fortunately, one of the health benefits of tamarind is to act as a natural home remedy for piles. In fact, people herbalists use the extracted juice from tamarind flowers to treat piles. Here is one of the methods that you can apply.
- Tamarind flower extract: 1.5 tablespoons
- Ginger: 1 teaspoon
- Fresh yogurt: 1 glass
- Pomegranate: 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder: 1 teaspoon
- Combine all the ingredients together
- Have this concoction with every lunch until the symptoms subside
5. Benefits Of Tamarind For Weight Loss
As good news for women, tamarind can be a good supporter for your weight loss. Actually, the tasty tamarind can help you reduce a few pounds, not too many but still effective.
It is because of the unique compounds named hydroxy citric acid (HCA), which is extracted from tamarind fruit; otherwise, you can gain these benefits of tamarind when you use it as a spice. HCA is proved to have a close link to weight loss due to its ability to inhibit an enzyme that helps store fat. Moreover, owing to the ability to increase the serotonin neurotransmitter, tamarinds contribute to suppressing your appetite. As a result, you can reduce your desire to eat, and you thus have a chance to reduce the food intake. Although researchers are still carrying out research to investigate more about the benefits of tamarind for weight loss, you can believe in promising signs that have been shown up to now.
6. Treating Jaundice
Not only can tamarind treat piles but also jaundice that is known as a liver-related problem. People who are suffering from jaundice are diagnosed to have much less amount of RBCs than the amount of bilirubin, which is a yellow chemical released by the organ, present in the liver. The elevated level of bilirubin can lead to yellow skin, eyes, and urine. Thankfully, tamarind can work in this case. Among the health benefits of tamarind, treating jaundice is also effective. Tamarind can help maintain your liver health by regulating the proper level of bilirubin; thus, reduce the risk of jaundice as well. You can refer to the following recipe with this natural home remedy.
- Tamarind pulp: 100 grams
- Plum: 50 grams
- Dry lily flower: 50 grams
- Dry coriander seeds: 50 grams
- A clay pot
- Candy sugar to taste
- Water: 4 liters
- Put all the ingredients in the pot
- Pour water into the pot and leave it a night
- The day after, you mix the ingredients well and strain the juice. Store it in an airtight container
- Have this drink every morning in one week. Add some candy sugar for taste
7. Managing Diabetes
Another of health benefits of tamarind is to manage diabetes. As mentioned, tamarind fruit can help to lose weight by inhibiting an enzyme helping store fat. Actually, inhibiting this enzyme can stop absorbing carbohydrates, the main ingredient to convert into fats or simple sugars. Diabetic patients have to avoid a carbohydrate-heavy diet because it will increase the risk of uncontrolled insulin and glucose levels, which is considered as the most dangerous issue for them. You should concern with the benefits of tamarind for diabetes because it can monitor and control the fluctuations in glucose and insulin levels effectively.
8. Boosting Immune System
Another of the health benefits of tamarind that we also highly appreciate is its ability to boost your immune system. As you know, tamarind is well known for its sour taste, thus, it might contain vitamin C, in accordance with what we can guess. In fact, tamarind serves a high amount of vitamin C and other antioxidants, which make this fruit powerful to boost the immunity. Furthermore, it guarantees long-term health from fungal and microbial infections. It lowers the occurrence of parasites due to the strong antiseptic and antimicrobial impacts. Especially, in the tropical areas where people cultivate tamarind trees, scientists have found a close link between tamarind and eliminated stomach worms in kids there. These facts show us how beneficial tamarind can be for our health. Therefore, do not skip the great benefits of tamarind.
9. Treating Constipation
Besides, tamarind fruit can help to treat constipation. As you know, constipation commonly happens in many people, which is very annoying and makes you feel extremely irritated, stuffed, and bloated at the same time. You may find churns as your solution whenever you get constipation, but nothing can work better than a natural home remedy. Instead of churn, why don’t you use tamarind as your treatment?
According to researchers, tamarind can be utilized as a mild laxative, as mentioned. It is among the digestive benefits of tamarind. Particularly, the sticky pulp of tamarind supplies a significant amount of fiber and non-starch polysaccharides . Hence, it helps reduce constipation, in short.
10. Improving Nerve Function
Last but not least, the benefits of tamarind fruit & juice for our nerve function should not be skipped, anyway. We always want a better cognitive function, especially when we have higher ages. A natural ingredient to achieve that is also worthy. Our beloved tamarind will be a suggestion. Thanks to a high concentration of thiamine, tamarind works well to improve the nerve function as well as memory, generally. So, include it in your diet regularly.
III. Skin Benefits Of Tamarind
1. Lightening Your Skin
Do you know that tamarind can lighten your skin? Surprisingly, skin care experts have found that tamarind could be a great ingredient to take care of your skin in case of prolonged exposing to the sun, dust, and pollution. If you experience those things, you can have so many skin problems such as clogged pores, dull, and dry skin, tanning, uneven complexion, an extra. You can make use of tamarind fruit to get rid of these issues and gain back your fresh skin.
- Tamarind pulp: 30 grams
- How water: 150 grams
- Turmeric powder: half a teaspoon
- Soak tamarind pulp in 150 grams of hot water. Let it be for 10 minutes
- Then extract the pulp. Combine with turmeric powder
- Apply the solution to your skin and maintain for 15 minutes
- Rinse off with water
- Repeat the process twice a week to lighten your skin
2. Exfoliating Skin
Instead of spending money on costly cosmetics, why don’t you put a little effort and time to turn natural ingredients into your own beauty care product? Tamarind can perfectly help you. Among the skin benefits of tamarind, exfoliating skin is also effective.
This sweet and sour fruit is a rich source of alpha hydroxy acids , which is found in many leading exfoliating creams in the market that you often spend money on. They get rid of the dirt as well as impurities that are present deep inside your skin surface. Also, it helps unclog the skin pores. Thanks for that, tamarind can act as a natural, safe, and effective exfoliating agent for your own. We are glad to suggest you a face mask recipe with tamarind pulp, which will help you to exfoliate your skin.
- Tamarind pulp: 1 teaspoon
- Milk cream or yogurt: 1 tablespoon
- Rock salt: 1 teaspoon
- Combine tamarind pulp with rock salt and milk cream or yogurt. Mix them well.
- Apply the solution on your face. Gently massage in circular motions with your fingertips. Keep doing for 5-7 minutes
- Do this twice a week to have the dirt-free skin
- Note: milk cream is suggested for dry skin while yogurt is for oily skin. You should be based on your skin and select the proper ingredient between them.
3. Fighting Aging Process
In addition to acting as a natural exfoliating skin agent, tamarind can be a safe and natural anti-aging agent as well. If you want your skin to remain ageless without aging signals, you should not skip this information.
Women will love these benefits of tamarind fruit for the skin. This fruit is fully loaded with many antioxidants, acids, fiber, essential vitamins that have the ability to combat the free radicals, as said before. Actually, free radicals are the main cause of not only cancers but also the aging skin. Because of the benefits of tamarind for the anti-aging process are really outstanding, we will offer you a simple recipe to make your homemade face mask with this natural remedy.
- Tamarind pulp: 1 tablespoon
- Semolina: 1 teaspoon
- Honey: 1 teaspoon
- Flour: 1 tablespoon
- Combine all ingredients to make a fine paste
- Apply the solution to your face and stay for 10 minutes to let it dry
- Then wipe off the pack with a soft sponge
- Rinse off your face with water and pat it dry
- Do this twice a week to maintain your ageless skin
Read more: 29 Effective Ways How to Tighten Face Skin
4. Treating Acne
Acne is really a big problem like a mutual nightmare for all young girls. Getting rid of acne as well as acne scars is not an easy task. Using some skin care products seems to be quite effective, but it can result in some other side effects as well. Therefore, you can seek for a natural home remedy like tamarind fruit in order to keep your skin safe and healthy. The remarkable concentration of vitamin A, C, and various antioxidants, contained in tamarinds are fundamental for these benefits of tamarind for acne and pimple treatment.
Another recipe will be introduced right now.
- Tamarind extract: 1 tablespoon
- Yogurt: 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder: half a teaspoon
- Combine tamarind, yogurt, and turmeric powder to make a paste
- Apply the mixture to your face and wait until it dries for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and moisturize your skin
- Repeat the process on a weekly basis
5. Removing Dark Patches Around Neck
Removing dark patches around your neck is the next one on the list of skin benefits of tamarind fruit & juice. Here is the effective recipe that you can apply.
- Tamarind concentrate: 1 teaspoon
- Rosewater: 1 teaspoon
- Organic honey: 1 teaspoon
- Combine all the ingredients together to make a paste
- Apply the mixture to your neck and maintain for 20 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water or rose water
- Keep doing this on a weekly basis for two months
6. Moisturizing And Toning
Besides five main skin benefits of tamarind, this fruit can act as a natural moisturizer and toner for your skin. Especially, in the winter, you are more likely to suffer from patchy, fine lines, scaly skin, coarse and dull skin, skin tightness, and cold sores, which require you to an effective moisturizing and toning. Thankfully, a small bowl of boiled tamarind water can help you in this situation. It is very easy to have this natural moisturizer and toner for your skin.
- Tamarind pulp: 15 grams
- Green tea: 2 teaspoons
- Boil a small cup of water and add tamarind pulp to the pot
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes
- Stir in green tea to the tamarind water and keep simmering for 5 more minutes
- Strain to get the water and mix well
- Let it cool and use as a skin toning as well as hydrating agent
IV. Hair Benefits Of Tamarind
1. Preventing Hair Loss
In addition to the health and skin benefits of tamarind fruit & juice, there are also some benefits of tamarind for our hair. Initially, it can help to prevent hair loss, which is one of the most concerned issues for many people, especially those who are at the higher age. If you are afraid of this hair problem, why don’t you follow the recipe we suggest below?
- Tamarind pulp: 15 grams
- Soak a tamarind fruit in water for about 10 minutes
- Then extract the liquid and gently massage over your scalp as well as your hair
- Dip a soft towel in lukewarm water and squeeze out excessive water
- Cover your hair with that towel and let it be for 1/2 hour
- Wash off your hair with your shampoo and container
- Do this twice a week
2. Treating Oily Scalp
Do you have the oily scalp? It seems so annoying if your scalp is oily and greasy. Actually, the oily scalp can cause various hair disorders such as dandruff and hair loss. Therefore, controlling your oily scalp is necessary, which means you have to manage the sebum production well. One of the benefits of tamarind says that this tasty fruit can help to treat oily scalp & greasy hair. You can follow our recipe to get the best result.
- Tamarind pulp: 2 tablespoons
- Buttermilk: 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil: 1 tablespoon
- Mix tamarind, olive oil, and buttermilk together to make a smooth paste
- Then directly apply the solution on your hair
- Gently massage your scalp for 5-10 minutes
- Leave it for 15 minutes. You can wear a cap.
- Rinse off your hair with a mild shampoo
- Do this on a weekly basis
Read more: 15 Uses & Benefits Olive Oil for Skin Care
Wow, we have introduced you the most wonderful and effective benefits of tamarind fruit & juice in terms of health, skin, and hair. We hope that you find it interesting and useful so that you can add this tasty fruit to your diet and apply the recommended recipes to take care of your health and beauty. As usual, we always welcome all your comments and feedback that you can leave for the topic. For more information, you are invited to visit our main Herbal Remedies page.