Jicama  is not a strange name to many people, but it may be a considerable name to someone else. Actually, sometimes, people call it a fruit, sometimes, they call as a root vegetable. No matter how you call it, jicama is still a great food item for your health and beauty as well. In general, people often eat jicama fruit in the season of the sun because it would be a proper solution for the thirst. Maybe, many of you will look jicama in such a way, but in fact, this root vegetable could do for your body more than you can imagine. For such that reason, AllRemedies.com would like to conduct a new article to introduce you some of the most miraculous benefits of jicama. We hope that you can learn something or apply some of our tips and advises to improve your body condition in terms of health and beauty.
II. What To Know About Jicama
To give you an overview of jicama fruit, we would like to share some basic facts. We highly recommend you reading this section because it is aiming to explain why other benefits of jicama could be formed.
Actually, in some places, jicama is known as yam bean whose scientific name is Pachyrhizus Erosus. As you can see, jicama is a round and fleshy taproot vegetable, which belongs to the bean family plants. Of course, the underground starchy root of jicama is edible and can be a great ingredient for cooking. It is so well known for its refreshing, crispy ice-white as well as a fruit-flavored tuber. That’s why jicama is very popular in the world. This plant is grown in many parts of the world from South Asian to Central America or even the Caribbean.
Get also: 25 Health & Beauty Benefits of Custard Apple Fruits, Leaves
III. 9 Miraculous Benefits Of Jicama Root, Fruit, And Juice On Health And Beauty
Because jicama is very popular, we will not add more information on that. Instead, we would like to bring readers to the great benefits of jicama that you may not know. It will be a big pity if you consume this fruit without any knowledge about health benefits of jicama root, fruit, and juice. For that reason, we will drive you to the pool of health benefits of jicama, at which you can discover how it positively affects your body.
1. Benefits Of Jicama – Boosting Your Digestion
Regarding health benefits of jicama, it cannot be denied that jicama is one of the healthiest food items for the digestion. We think that you can make a proper guess about the reason for that without our explanation. It is easy to see that dietary fiber dominates the nutritional composition of jicama. In other words, the significant amount of fiber contained in jicama fruit creates the digestive benefits of jicama for humans.
In detail, dietary fiber is one of the essential factors supporting as well as enhancing the digestive system. It contributes to boosting the bulk of stool, thanks for that; it can move through your digestive tract smoothly and lower the instance of some digestive conditions such as constipation. Especially, we must mention the high concentration of soluble fiber, which also mainly contributes to the benefits of jicama for digestion. A form of soluble fiber contained in jicama is called as oligofructose inulin  that is known as a sweet, inert carbohydrate not being transformed into simple sugars like others. Do you know what it means? Actually, this fact can be a good piece of news to diabetic patients because they can enjoy a sweet taste food without any worry about their blood sugar fluctuation that is a big issue for them 
In general, if you often have problems with the digestion, you can add jicama fruit to your diet to improve the digestive function.
Learn more: 42 Best Natural Home Remedies for Indigestion
2. Supporting Weight Loss
Another of the benefits of jicama is to lose weight. We believe that many women will pay more attention to these benefits of jicama than the previous one.
Yam bean is proved to have a positive impact on the weight loss process. An initial advice for you is that if you are aiming to lose weight, you can consume this fruit regularly. Regardless of scientific evidence, from our point of view, we also can guess that the reason for the weight loss benefits of jicama can be based on its high concentration of water and fiber. In fact, yam bean is categorized as a natural appetite suppressant, which makes you feel full although you consume a small portion. In addition, you will be less likely to feel hungry. In conclusion, jicama or yam bean can reduce not only the unnecessary cravings but also the size of your regular portion. Of course, it helps you to lose weight effectively and naturally together with a proper diet and regular exercise.
Besides, jicama is also very low in fats and sugars, thereby contributing to managing your weight. As a result, if you are considering a food proper for your weight loss diet, you should not skip the benefits of jicama or yam bean.
To help you apply the weight loss benefits of jicama in a smart way, we would like to share an easy recipe with this ingredient. It may take you 30 minutes to prepare the ingredients and just a few minutes to make it into a favorable dish. Hopefully, you can enjoy this salad in your weight loss diet.
Check out: A List of 38 Best Foods High in Fiber
Recipe: Jicama, green apple, and carrot slaw
Ingredients: (for 8 servings)
- Jicama: 1 pound (peeled and shredded)
- Shredded Napa cabbage: 2 cups
- Shredded daikon radish: 2 cups
- Large carrots: 2 (shredded)
- Granny Smith apples: 2 (peeled, cored, and shredded)
- Finely chopped cilantro: 1/4 cup
- Firm pear: 1 (shredded)
- Orange juice: 3 tablespoons
- Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- Lime juice: 1 tablespoon
- Pepper and sea salt
- Combine prepared jicama, carrots, apples, cabbage, cilantro, and pear in a large bowl
- Then sprinkle the remaining ingredients over the mixture
- Add salt and pepper for taste
- Toss the salad until it is evenly blended
- Transfer into a plate and decorate with some cilantro branches
3. Benefits Of Jicama – Boosting Your Immune System
There is no shortage of health benefits of jicama root, fruit, juice. We would like to tell you about the good impact of this fruit-like ingredient on your immune system. As you know, the immune system plays an important role in keeping you stay healthy. If your immunity is strong, you will be less likely to suffer from many common diseases. Therefore, those who have a weak immune system, you should not skip the following information.
It can be said that the fundamental for the immunity benefits of jicama is based on a remarkable amount of vitamin C. Researchers have pointed out that the concentration of vitamin C found in every hundred grams of jicama accounts for nearly 40% of the daily-recommended intake amount of vitamin C, which is an impressive figure. Actually, vitamin C has the ability to stimulate the initial line of defense in your body that is white blood cells. Hence, your ability to defense against illness will be strengthened significantly. Vitamin C is also the answer to the question what helps us to combat against bacterial, fungal, viral, and pathogenic diseases. Adding vitamin C by consuming yam bean is a good suggestion, actually.
A recipe will be released immediately in order to suggest you a right way to make use of the benefits of jicama root, fruit, and juice.
Learn also: How To Increase Stamina And Endurance Fast
Recipe: Jicama Pie
Ingredients: (for 8 servings)
- Jicama: 1 (peeled and shredded)
- Sherry: half a cup
- All-purpose flour: 6 tablespoons
- Egg yolks: 3
- White sugar: 3/4 cup and 2 teaspoons
- Salt: 1/4 salt
- Water: half a cup
- Milk: 2 cups
- Butter: 2.5 teaspoons
- Ground cinnamon: 1 and 1/4 teaspoon
- Pie crust: 1 (baked and cooled)
- Put jicama, sherry, and water together in a saucepan
- Boil it up for 45 minutes then drain and set aside
- Next, mix flour with 3/4 cup of sugar and salt in a saucepan
- In another bowl, beat three egg yolks up and a cup of milk. Then pour into flour mixture
- Add the remaining portion of milk and cinnamon to the mixture. Now, stir over the medium heat to make a thick paste. After that, add 1.5 tablespoons of butter to the pan.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool slightly
- When the custard mixture cool down, mix it with cooked jicama
- Pour the mixture into a pie shell and sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of sugar
- Cut the rest part of butter into pieces and place them over filling.
- Bring to broil pie about 3 or 4 minutes until you see the butter and sugar melted and bubbly
- Serve pie warm
Read more: 32 Health Benefits of Cinnamon Oil, Tea
4. Good For Fever And Asthma
Let’s move on to another of the benefits of jicama that you may not know. In general, experts suggest that if you are suffering from fever and asthma, you can consider the health benefits of jicama and consume this fruit.
We always highly appreciate the great function of vitamin C contained in jicama for our health. As mentioned above, vitamin C helps to fight against many diseases coming from bacteria, virus, and fungus as well. That is also the explanation for the fact that it is good for fever and asthma, generally . A small tip for you is released. If you want to lower your body’s temperature when having a fever, you can make use of the tuber of jicama. Either eating it raw or take its juice is useful to cool down the fever. Remember that tip, please.
However, jicama can do more than that with its own amazing antihistamine properties. Do you ever think that? Thanks to strengthening the immunity system, jicama helps to defense from cold and cough in asthma patients. Also, it reduces the risk of breathlessness as well as wheezing. Furthermore, the anti-inflammatory function of jicama allows you to fight against bronchial asthma as well.
As you can see, the health benefits of jicama are various so that you can apply to many different cases. We hope that you can remember something helpful after reading this article. Now is the time for you to look at another recipe with yam bean.
- Fresh blueberries: 1 cup
- Diced jicama: 1 cup
- Diced strawberries: 1 cup
- Chopped cilantro: 1/3 cup
- Finely chopped jalapeno pepper: 2 tablespoons (stemmed and seeded)
- Finely chopped red onion: 1/4 cup
- Large lime: 1
- Tortilla chips
- Salt for taste
- Combine jicama, blueberries, and strawberries, cilantro, jalapeno, red onion, and juice from a lime in a large bowl
- Toss to make it well combined
- Add salt for taste
- Transfer into a plate and place some tortilla chips on
- Note: nothing greater than enjoy this salsa with grilled chicken or fish
5. Benefits Of Jicama – Good For Blood
The fifth thing in the list of health benefits of jicama is its ability to manage blood pressure as well as blood circulation.
Actually, yam bean or jicama contains a significant amount of potassium. Many people may be surprised a lot because of this fact. The high concentration of potassium will fundamentally create the benefits of jicama for blood pressure. It means that jicama can play as a vasodilator and it is able to reduce the tension on our blood vessels as well as arteries. As a result, it helps to reduce the stress put on our cardiovascular system. Moreover, potassium also plays an important role in maintaining the fluid balance with sodium in our body. Why is it important to our health? It is because the balance will keep your body hydrated as well as functioning at as high as possible level.
Regarding the blood circulation, we highly appreciate the benefits of jicama for this. Scientists have shown that the high concentration of copper and iron included in yam bean contributes mainly to the health of our blood circulation system. As you know, copper and iron are indispensable elements for blood, especially for the formation of red blood cells. Thanks to the appearance of these two elements, jicama can reduce the instance of anemia. Additionally, the function of the body organs might be decreased remarkably.
Recipe: Jicama, green apple, and prawn salad
Ingredients: (for 4 servings)
- Medium shrimps: 12
- Matchstick-cut jicama: 1 cup
- Matchstick-cut green apple: 1 cup
- Fresh mint leaves: half a cup
- Matchstick-cut carrot: 1 cup
- Olive oil: half a cup
- White vinegar: 2 tablespoons
- White sugar: 3 tablespoons
- Chopped garlic: 1 teaspoon
- Dijon mustard: 1 tablespoon
- Cilantro: 2 sprigs
- Chopped lemongrass: 1 teaspoon
- Boil shrimp in a pot of water for 3-5 minutes then drain
- Place shrimp in a bowl of cold water to let it cool down. Then peel, devein, and slice in half lengthwise
- In a large bowl, combine jicama, green apple, and carrots
- Next, blend roughly mint leaves, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, mustard, lemongrass, and garlic
- After getting the dressing, pour it over the salad mixture. Toss until evenly combined
- Mix shrimp slices into the salad and garnish with cilantro
6. Bone Benefits Of Jicama
It is so amazing to know that jicama root is very beneficial for your bone health. That’s why it is categorized into the group of bone-building food items. Let’s discover the reason behind that.
Surprisingly, jicama or yam bean contains a high concentration of bone-beneficial nutrients, including manganese, iron, magnesium, and copper as well. All of them are acting as a major booster for your bone mineral density. Regarding the bone health, we cannot skip the great function of these minerals, actually. It is due to their ability to not only build new strong bones but also heal the damage to the existing bones. Thanks for that, you can protect yourself from getting osteoporosis and other bone-related conditions. Benefits of jicama for bones are also amazing that you should not ignore.
We would like to share another way to prepare jicama in order to have an interesting diet with this fruit. It is a snack with jicama, which may take you only 10 minutes to prepare. We are sure that you will find it tasty. Mexican jicama snack will be a great suggestion for a small party with your close friends.
Recipe: Mexican jicama snack
Ingredients: (for 6 servings)
- Jicama: 1
- Cayenne pepper: 1 tablespoon
- Limes: 2
- Peel one large jicama and cut it as you make French fries with potatoes
- Squeeze 2 limes to get their juice
- Combine jicama, cayenne pepper, and lime juice in a bowl and then toss to coat evenly
- Serve as a snack
7. Benefits Of Jicama – Promoting Healthy Heart
One of the most important benefits of jicama is its own ability to promote a healthy heart. Perhaps, from what we have provided you in the previous section, you can get the reason why jicama has such a great impact on your heart health. To make it more specific, we would like to share some more information about the heart health benefits of jicama as below.
Generally, it is owing to the high fibrous content of jicama, which discourages the formation of unhealthy cholesterol in your body. In addition, fiber also helps to regularize blood pressure as well as reduce the unhealthy and unnecessary food cravings, as mentioned already. Once the entire blood circulatory system works well, your heart health will be improved significantly.
Besides, magnesium and potassium, which are known as Trace metals and minerals, also contribute to regulating and maintaining the muscle function in the body. As you know, the human’s heart is considered as a structure of muscles, and thus, thus, the health benefits of jicama are essential for our heart. Importantly, it helps to optimize the functioning. Therefore, by reducing the level of unhealthy cholesterol along with blood pressure as well as managing the muscle function, jicama contributes an important part in giving a general heart support.
Another evidence to prove the health benefits of jicama for the heart is that it is low in Homocysteine , which is known as a form of amino acid. If there is a high level of Homocysteine, you will be threatened by cardiovascular diseases. In fact, study results also conclude that regular inclusion of jicama in your diet can have 11 percent lower amount of Homocysteine. That is why experts said that jicama could help to reduce the risk of heart diseases as well as renal failure.
Recipe: Root vegetable baked
Ingredients: (for 8 servings)
- Jicama: 1 (peeled and chopped)
- Cubed red potato: 1 cup
- Yam: 1 (peeled and chopped)
- Carrots: 4 (peeled and sliced)
- Parsnip: 1 (peeled and chopped)
- Minced fresh rosemary: 1 cup
- Turnips: 2 (peeled and chopped)
- Minced garlic: 6 cloves
- Olive oil: 5 tablespoons
- Sea salt: 1 tablespoon
- Set the oven to the heat at 400F
- Place jicama, yam, potato, parsnip, turnips, and carrots in a baking dish
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and mix them well.
- Pour the sauce over mixed vegetables and toss to evenly coat
- Start to bake for 35 to 45 minutes until vegetables become tender
8. Benefits Of Jicama – Good For Brain Function
Now, we would like to mention the benefits of jicama for the brain. Scientists have pointed out that there is a close link between increased brain function and regular consumption of jicama. Actually, it is because of a significant concentration of vitamin B6  contained in this vegetable root. If you supply a proper intake of vitamin B6, you can enhance the brain function as well as your cognitive abilities. Moreover, vitamin B6 is also proved integral in breaking down complex proteins into simple amino acids and different forms of proteins that are usable for humans. That also positively affects the metabolism and function of organ systems.
Recipe: Sweet and sour jicama spinach salad
Ingredients: (for 8 servings)
- Jicama: 1 (peeled and diced)
- Fresh spinach: 16 ounce
- Bacon bits: 1/4 cup
- Onion: 1/2 (thinly sliced)
- Sesame seeds: 1/4 cup
- Pine nuts: 1/4 cup
- White sugar: 1 cup
- White vinegar: 2/3 cup
- Onion juice: 1 tablespoon
- Prepared yellow mustard: 2 teaspoons
- Onion powder: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Whisk olive oil, vinegar, sugar, yellow mustard, onion powder, and salt together in a small bowl
- Combine jicama, spinach, bacon bits, onion, pine nuts, and sesame seeds in another bowl
- Pour the dressing over the vegetable salad and toss to coat evenly
9. Skin Benefits Of Jicama
Finally, we will share some information about the skin effect of yam bean as an additional section of the article.
In terms of skin benefits of jicama, people can take advantage of the rich source of vitamin C contained in jicama. That can help to fight against the aging process and brighten your skin. In fact, the free radicals, the main cause of aging signals, can be reduced by consuming jicama on a regular basis. The high concentration of vitamin C not only decelerates the aging process but also gives you glowing and elastic skin. Additionally, it helps to get rid of toxins and prevents acne and pimple as well. And you know, the high amount of water in jicama also contributes to the skin benefits of jicama.
An interesting recipe to make an anti-aging facial mask with this ingredient will be released immediately. Why don’t you take a handbook and a pen to write it down for your own experience?
Recipe: Jicama face mask
- Jicama: a sufficient amount
- Organic honey: some teaspoons
- Cream: some teaspoons
- Mash up jicama and then add some teaspoons of organic honey and cream to make a paste
- Apply the solution on your face and leave it for a few minutes until it has dried
- Rinse off with water
- Do this on a weekly basis
We have shared many health and skin benefits of jicama. Are you surprised to know that jicama is not only a fleshy root vegetable but also a small powerhouse of nutrients? In our opinion, jicama is one of the most common food items that can bring you a lot of benefits. Therefore, you should not skip their functions for your health and beauty. After reading this thread, we also hope that you can find something useful and interesting. Let’s share with your friends about the topic if you think it is informative. For more information, please refer to our main site Herbal Remedies. As usual, all of your recommendations and comments are highly welcomed. Please leave them below the article if you have.