For eye health, it is recommended increasing potassium intake. Potassium is a necessary nutrient for tear film, the corneal epithelium’s maintenance and the thickness of corneal. In order to maintain your eye’s health and relieve dry eyes, you should take potassium intake or eat a variety of foods rich in potassium. When you decide to take potassium intake, you should consult your doctor first and read the instruction of the product carefully. Foods that contain a great source of potassium include bananas, dulse, kelp, pecans, avocados, almonds, wheat germ, raisins, dates and figs
Potassium rich foods are home remedies for dry eyes I would like to introduce to you in this article.
In addition to potassium, zinc is also included in a list of necessary nutrients for eye health. Zinc deficiency may result in dry eyes as well as other eye problems. Zinc plays the important role in keeping different body systems function well and stimulating the activities of approximately 100 enzymes, especially enzymes of the eye’s vascular coating.
People who do not consume enough zinc through their diet are vulnerable to diseases and ailments. A recommended dietary daily zinc intake for women is 8 mg per day while a man needs to consume 11 mg of zinc per day. For the fast result and convenience, you can take zinc supplements after consulting your doctor or a health care provider. However, it is advisable for you to eat zinc-rich foods such as fish, legume, mushrooms, kelp, liver, yeast, sunflower seeds, whole grain and so on.
15. Castor Oil
Castor oil is said to boost lymphatic circulation as an amazing poultice; therefore, it is one of effective home remedies for dry eyes you can apply at home. This oil is often used in Ayurveda to treat and prevent floaters cataracts. Moreover, castor oil can help for eye detoxification. Many studies found out that castor oil can work for dry eyes caused by meibomian gland dysfunction.
In order to treat dry eyes, you just need to put 2 drops of castor oil in both of your eyes each night. You should repeat this treatment until you see the satisfactory result.
16. Tomato, Lemon Juice, Turmeric Powder, And Orange
The mixture of tomato, lemon juice, turmeric powder and orange is another effective treatment for dry eyes. The mixture can hydrate and moisturize your eyes. Moreover, lemon juice has a great source of potassium that is beneficial in fading the eye circles. You just need to mix all these ingredients together.
You will need:
- Some orange lentil flour
- 2 drops of lemon juice
- Tomato puree or crush
- Turmeric powder
- Combine the turmeric powder, tomato puree or crush, 2 drops of lemon juice and orange lentil flour together to create a smooth paste
- Apply this paste under your eyes
- Let it stay for at least 10 minutes
- Use warm water to rinse it off
If using turmeric powder causes an allergic reaction, you can switch to tamarind powder as a good alternative for turmeric powder.
17. Home Remedies For Dry Eyes – Tamarind Seeds
Tamarind is a fruit of the Tamarindusindica. This fruit is grown widely in India and it is often added into Indian cuisine. People living in rural areas eat roasted tamarind seeds as their healthy delicious snack. These seeds can be found in the dry season. Tamarind seeds are rich in potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, vitamin C, calcium and amino acids. Because of high nutrient content, tamarind seeds possess numerous health benefits. One of the benefits is treating dry eyes.
You will need:
- Warm water
- Some tamarind seeds
- Put some tamarind seeds in water
- Let these seeds stay for 5 to 10 minutes
- Strain the solution
- Apply this solution around your eyes
- Wash it off with warm water
It is recommended doing this treatment once or twice a day to get a significant result.
Read more: Top foods high in magnesium
18. Almond Milk, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Honey, And Cloves
The mixture of almond milk, turmeric, cinnamon, honey, and cloves are highly recommended if you have dry eyes. Turmeric is packed with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties while almond contains a lot of nutrients such as protein, fiber, vitamin E, vitamin B2, manganese, magnesium and phosphorous. Cinnamon possesses anti-inflammatory and antioxidants effects that can increase the sensitivity to insulin. Honey contains antibacterial and antifungal properties while cloves are packed with anti-mutagenic, antimicrobial and aphrodisiac effects. The mixture of almond milk, turmeric, cinnamon, honey, and cloves can work for dry eyes if applied regularly.
You will need:
- 1/8 tablespoon of cloves
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- ½ tablespoon of cinnamon powder
- A sufficient amount of almond milk
- Make the almond milk warm
- Sprinkle the cinnamon powder, turmeric, and cloves into the warm almond milk
- Add one teaspoon of honey into this mixture
- Mix all these ingredients well
- Consume this mixture
You will get the visible result if you consume it daily for a few weeks. Besides treating dry eyes, this mixture is beneficial in preventing many problems and ailments related to eyes.
Read more: Natural health benefits of turmeric
19. Chilled Spoons
Looking for home remedies for dry eyes, you should not ignore chilled spoons. The cool temperature is effective in constricting the blood vessels and treating dry eyes caused by tiredness. Moreover, Chilled spoons are also used to relieve puffiness and redness around your eyes.
- Store four metal spoons in a refrigerator or put them into a glass of ice water for a few minutes
- Apply a chilled spoon on each eye
- Let it stay for a few minutes
- Switch it to another chilled spoon when it gets warm
- Continue until you get a significant relief
This treatment can help you to relieve the tiredness in your eyes.
20. Rose Water
Rose water is recommended as one of natural home remedies for dry eyes and sore eyes. Regular application of rose water can give you a significant relief. When you use the rose water solution, the discomfort and irritation caused by dry eyes can disappear after around five minutes.
- Soak a cotton ball in the rose water
- Apply the cotton balls to your closed eyes
- Let it sit in a few minutes
- Remove the cotton balls
It is recommended doing this treatment several times a day to get a satisfactory result.
21. Cold Milk
You know milk as a healthy beverage packed with many nutrients. Drinking milk is good for your health because it can help you to strengthen your bones, lower the risk of heart disease and improve the overall health. But the benefits of milk are more than that. You can treat dry eyes with cold milk. The cold milk can relieve the eye strain and give you an immediate relief for dry tired eyes.
You will need:
- A cup of cold milk
- 2 cotton balls
- Some rose water
- Add some rose water in a cup of cold milk
- Soak 2 cotton balls into the solution
- Apply them to your closed eyes
- Relax for a few minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water
It is recommended doing this treatment several times a week until you see the significant result.
Mint is said to be a wonderful treatment for relieving dry eyes at home.
Mint contains menthol which can help to stimulate tear production. And it will leave your eyes feeling refreshed as well as energized. Here is the recipe for you if you want to treat dry eyes:
- First prepare and clean 10 – 12 mint leaves carefully
- Then boil them in some water
- After boiling, let it cool at least 20 minutes
- Next take a clean cloth
- Dip it into the liquid
- Finally, apply on your eyes and wash to your eyes
- Do this remedy several times a day daily as needed
23. Coriander Juice
Also known as Dhania, coriander grows in the Indian Subcontinent of the USA as well as some regions of European. Coriander is an amazing herb that has been popularly used around the world for many purposes. This herb possesses six types of acids, minerals, and vitamins and it contains numerous beneficial properties. Coriander is packed with vitamins A, vitamin C, antioxidants and phosphorus; therefore, coriander can help to reduce the risk of developing vision disorder and macular degeneration. This herb can relieve strain and stress on your eyes. Beta-carotene present in coriander can cure and prevent many eye diseases including dry eyes. Coriander is one of natural home remedies for dry eyes I would like to introduce in this article. If you want to get rid of dry eyes at home, let’s try coriander juice. It helps in dealing with the gritty and itchy feeling of your eyes. Now let’s implement this remedy as the detailed instruction here:
- Now, get some coriander leaves
- Next, grind them in order to extract the juice
- Then pour the liquid in the dropper
- Finally, put two drops of this juice in your infected eyes
- Keep doing this method at least twice a day
- Repeat every day until your eyes are better
24. Chamomile Tea
The chamomile tea made from the dried blossoms is often used to treat various health ailments. Bisabolol found in chamomile is responsible for those benefits of chamomile tea. Bisabolol contains calming and antimicrobial properties. Moreover, containing anti-inflammatory and cooling effects, chamomile tea can help to retain the lost moisture and relieve your eye tiredness. Chamomile tea is also one of the effective home remedies for dry eyes that I would like to introduce to you in this article. When you apply this remedy, you need to follow these steps below:
You will need:
- 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile flower
- 2 cotton balls
200 ml boiling water
- Take a teaspoon of chamomile flower (you can use chamomile tea bag instead)
- Pour it into the boiling water
- Let the dried chamomile flower or tea bags steep in the boiling water for 15 minutes
- Then, let it cool
- Soak 2 cotton balls into the cool chamomile tea
- Apply the wet cotton balls to your eyelids and the surface around your eyes
- Leave it for 15 minutes
- Soak the cotton balls again in the cool chamomile tea when the cotton balls become dry
- Repeat it until you feel rejuvenated and your dry tired eyes get a significant relief
- Wash your eyes with warm water to finish
- Follow this remedy twice a day daily until your condition is improved
When you do this treatment, make sure that you close your eyes to prevent the liquid from getting into your eyes. Sometimes, you also use the leftover tea bag over your eyes. It will help you get rid of the redness of eyes