Pink eye or conjunctivitis is known as an uncomfortable and irritating condition accompanied with symptoms such as inflammation, redness, burning in the eyes, itching, tearing, or the sensation of a foreign body. This condition may be caused by a virus, allergies or bacteria. When having a problem with your eye, you should consult a doctor for the proper diagnosis & treatment of your eye condition. In addition, you can apply at home remedies only as an adjunct treatment. In this article, AllRemedies.com reveals to you top 27 at home remedies for pink eye in adults naturally and safely without any side effect. This writing listed the best treatments to relieve the pink eye condition from reliable sources. Nevertheless, it is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to discover these 27 at home pink eye remedies in more detail!
- 35 Simple Natural Home Remedies for Dry Eyes Relief / 26 Tips Natural Home Remedies for Red Eyes Relief
1. Home Remedies For Pink Eye Using Aloe Vera
The aloe vera provides astringent & antibiotic properties, which can help you in reducing conjunctivitis quickly. Here are step by step instructions to apply aloe vera gel for relieving pink eye condition:
- You soak some chunks of the fresh aloe vera gel that is peeled from leaves into 1 cup of cooled and boiled water till it turns into pale green.
- In addition, you can blend these pieces with the cool water using a blender.
- Then you put some drops of the mixture into your affected eye, 3 or 4 times per day.
- Besides, you can apply it like eyewash.
Pay attention: You should not apply this solution on children.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
One of other home remedies for pink eye is applying apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar that helps you improve your health also helps you to treat the problem of pink eye. This vinegar provides antimicrobial properties, which can help you in fighting an infection that causes pink eye. Moreover, the malic acid found in the unpasteurized apple cider vinegar can aid you in fighting bacterial infections. Here are step by step instructions to apply apple cider vinegar for relieving pink eye condition:
- You mix 2 tsp of the organic apple cider vinegar into 1 cup of the filtered water.
- Then you dip some cotton balls or your clean cloth inside this solution.
- Then you close your affected eye
- Then you wipe this affected eye with these cotton balls or this cloth.
- You do this solution 4 to 5 times per day for 2 to 3 days.
- In addition, you can put one drop of the mixture into the eye; however, it is possible to sting.
3. Warm Or Cold Compresses
A lot of people have used a cold compress to relieve the itching & swelling that are caused by the pink eye condition, particularly by allergic conjunctivitis. In addition, a warm compress can help soothe the eyes. These ways will help you in preventing the discharge from eyes from drying on eyelashes. Here are step by step instructions to apply a warm or cold compress for relieving pink eye condition:
- You soak your clean cloth into the cold or hot water
- Then you bring it out.
- Then you place this cloth onto your affected eye.
- Then you let it sit on for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then you repeat this process 3 to 4 times per day.
- You should not place on both the eyes with the same cloth, especially in case just 1 eye is infected.
4. Home Remedies for Pink Eye With Boric Acid
The boric acid is often used for treating a wide range of eye problems such as dryness, redness, tearing, and a burning sensation thanks to its mild antibacterial & antifungal properties. In addition, boric acid helps soothe the eye irritation as well as cleanse them. Here are step by step instructions to apply boric acid for relieving pink eye condition:
- You boil 1 cup of the water that is mixed with 1 tsp of the boric acid.
- Then you use it like eyewash
- You can also apply it onto your affected eye with some cotton balls or a clean washcloth.
- Then you rinse off your eyes using the lukewarm water.
- You should repeat this solution 2 or 3 times per day.
Calendula is a well known herb that has antiviral & antibacterial properties, which help you in fighting infection as well as healing conjunctivitis. In addition, calendula is an anti-inflammatory, so it will help you to soothe eye discomfort & irritation. Here are step by step instructions to apply calendula for relieving pink eye condition:
- You steep 2 tsp of the dried calendula flowers into 1 cup of the hot water.
- Then you let it cool
- Then you strain this solution using a cleared paper coffee filter or a cheesecloth.
- Then you can use this mixture like eyewash 5 to 6 times during the day.
- In addition, you can dip your clean washcloth into this herbal mixture when it is still hot & use it like a hot compress.
6. Black Tea
Black tea contains tannins, which can help you in reducing the itching & inflammation. In addition, the bioflavonoids found in the black tea can combat the viral & bacterial infections. Here are step by step instructions to apply black tea for relieving pink eye condition:
- You place moist, cooled black teabags onto your affected eyes for around 10 minutes.
- Then you repeat this solution 3 to 4 times per day.
- In addition, you can use the chamomile tea or green tea bags.
- Moreover, you can apply a weak solution of the black tea like eyewash.
7. Home Remedies for Pink Eye – Saline Solution
Saline solution works like a natural disinfectant , so it is one of the best home remedies for pink eye relief. Here are step by step instructions to apply saline solution for relieving pink eye condition:
- You boil 1 cup of the distilled water that is mixed with 1/2-1 tsp of salt.
- Then you let it cool
- Then you apply it like eyewash by using a dropper or eyecup.
- You should repeat this solution 3 to 4 times per day.
- Alternatively, you can dissolve 1 tbsp of the sea salt into 1 cup of the warm water.
- Then you can put 2 to 3 drops to your affected eye by using a cotton ball or eyedropper.
- You should do this way 2 times a day.
There are a lot of other effective home remedies for pink eye in adults presented in this article, so continue reading!
Eyebright is one of the effective home remedies for pink eye and even eye problems, including sties, strained and bloodshot eyes and weeping eyes. It contains antibacterial and astringent properties. For optimal results, you can use it as follows.
- Boil water (a cup) and let it to cool. Add eyebright tincture (five drops) to it. Then you use this mixture as eyewash (preferably in an eyecup).
- Alternatively, boil eyebright herb (one teaspoon) in water (a cup) for about 10 minutes. Leave it to cool. Then, strain the mixture and use it as eyewash. Or, you may also add rose water. It is recommended to follow the remedy every four hours.
- Another option is to steep equal parts of chamomile and eyebright in boiling water. Cool this solution, strain it, and then use it as an eyewash.
- A combination of eyebright tincture (two drops), boiled water (lukewarm) (one tablespoon), and rose water (two tablespoons) can be applied in a compress.
- Simply, you can also enjoy eyebright tea or take the eyebright in capsule or tablet form.
9. Breast Milk
Breast milk is considered as one of the highly effective home remedies for pink eye. Breast milk contains healing properties that can help treat minor illnesses, including ear infections and pink eye, possibly because it has certain antibodies (particularly immunoglobulin E).
Here are step by step instructions to apply breast milk for relieving pink eye condition:
- Put breast milk (a few drops) in the affected eye.
- You can repeat this process as needed.
10. Home Remedies For Pink Eye – Milk And Honey
A combination of honey and warm milk can treat and soothe pink eye naturally. Honey contains antimicrobial properties and milk calms the inflammation and has a soothing effect. For desirable results, you can use them as follows.
- Slightly heat whole milk (one tablespoon).
- Then mix organic honey (one tablespoon) in it, stirring until it becomes smooth.
- Put this mixture (two or three drops) in your troubled eye using an eyedropper.
- It is recommended to do this several times per day. You can use this mixture in a warm compress as well.
11. Vegetable Juices
Vegetable juices are also one of the helpful home remedies for pink eye in adults, especially the combination of carrot juice and parsley. To use vegetable juices properly for treating pink eye, here are detailed instructions:
- Mix raw parsley (200 ml) with carrot juice (300 ml).
- Then drink this mixture.
- You can also use spinach for the same benefits if you don’t like parsley.
Turmeric is considered as one of the best home remedies for pink eye in adults. It contains an antioxidant, antibacterial, antiviral, and anti inflammatory property which proven helpful in dealing with pink eye effectively. To apply turmeric in the right way for relieving pink eye, here are detailed instructions:
- Take turmeric powder (2 teaspoons) in a cup of boiled water.
- Mix it well.
- Dip it in a cotton pad and then use the solution as a hot compress over the infected eye.
13. Home Remedies For Pink Eye Using Coconut Oil
Using coconut oil is one of the excellent home remedies for pink eye in adults. Here are step by step instructions to apply coconut oil for relieving pink eye condition:
- Apply coconut oil (2 drops) in the infected eye
- Then take a nap.
- You should sleep for a while after pouring these drops to avoid itchiness in your eyes.
14. Charcoal Dust
One of the other popular home remedies for pink eye is charcoal dust. For the better results, what you need to do:
Mix together sea salt (¼ teaspoon) and charcoal dust (1 teaspoon) in one cup of water.
- Allow it to boil.
- Let this mixture cool down and then strain.
- Pour this prepared solution (4 to 5 drops) into the affected eyes.
15. Lavender Compress
Using lavender compress is also one of the easies home remedies for pink eye in adults. To use lavender compress for relieving pink eye condition, here are step by step instructions:
- Place lavender oil (a drop) in the bowl and then fill it with hot water.
- Put the washrag into this water till it’s thoroughly wet and then wring it out.
- Place it over your eyes for 30 seconds or more.
- It is suggested to follow this process about three times a day.
16. Home Remedies For Pink Eye – Honey
As you see, honey contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help in effective treatment of pink eye in adults. Here are detailed instructions to use honey for curing pink eye condition:
- Mix honey (three tablespoons) with 20 ml of water.
- Immerse a cleancotton cloth in this solution.
- Gently squeeze this cloth before rubbing it over your eyes.
- This remedy should be done at least 4-5 times throughout the day.
- Alternatively, you can dilute raw honey (one teaspoon) in a cup of cooled and boiled water.
- Then put this solution (two to three drops) in each eye, using a sterilized eye dropper.
- This remedy will ultimately reduce the pain and ease the inflammation in the eyes.
- You had better follow this home remedy about two to three times per day in order to hasten the healing process.
17. Oatmeal Powder
Oatmeal powder mixed with cold water will not only help eliminate the bacteria causing the infection but also bring down the inflammation. For expected results, you can use it as follows.
- Make a solution by mixing oatmeal powder (two teaspoons) in cold water (200ml).
- Splash your infected eyes with this treated water about 5-6 times in per day.
18. Home Remedies For Pink Eye – Onion Juice
Onions are a nature antibacterial; hence this makes them useful and effective in dealing with infections caused by bacteria consisting of pink eyes. Here are step by step instructions to apply onion juice for relieving pink eye condition:
- Peel and wash two onions.
- Grate these onions and then squeeze the onion juice from them.
- Collect about onion juice (30 ml) and add cold water (50ml) in it.
- Mix the two well.
- Apply the onion juice solution over your infected eyes with the help of clean cotton cloth.
- Leave the cloth over your eyes for about 10 minutes.
- It is recommended to repeat the treatment three times a day.
19. Cold Water
Regular splashing your eyes with cold wateris known to reduce the discomfort and pain caused by the infection. Cold water will not eliminate the infection causing bacteria but will definitely treat the symptoms associated with pink eyes.
Here are step by step instructions to apply cold water for relieving pink eye condition:
- You can store cold water in aspray
- They simply spray the cold water in your infected eyes.
- Alternatively, you can even apply coldcompress in order to cure pink eyes.
- It is suggested to use either of the procedurefor 3-4 days.
Garlic is one of the other great home remedies for pink eye due to its inflammatory, antioxidant, antiviral and antibacterial properties. Here are detailed instructions to apply garlic for relieving pink eye condition:
- Take a garlic clove and then prick it to remove the garlic juice.
- Rub the garlic clove to the bottom lid initially.
- Please don’t apply garlic if you are allergic to onion, aloe vera gel, or other types of plants in the alliaceous
21. Home Remedies For Pink Eye Using Neem
Neem contains anti inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, and antioxidant properties which proven effective in curing pink eye. In addition, it also offers sometimes-damaging prescription medicines and a non-toxic alternative to powerful. To use it for treating pink eye, you should wipe neem oil around your eye and eyelid before going to bed.
22. Holy Basil (Tulsi)
Holy Basil also contains anti inflammatory, antioxidant, antiviral and antibacterial properties which prove useful in treating pink eye. Here are step by step instructions to apply holy Basil for relieving pink eye condition:
- Soak leaves of tulsi in water.
- Use this water as compress or eyewash or for your pink eye.
- Taking holy basil juice is also beneficial for good vision.
23. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are also considered as one of the great home remedies for pink eyes. Fennel seeds have specific compounds that can be used to deal with numerous eye conditions including pink eye or conjunctivitis. Here are step by step instructions to apply fennel seed benefits for relieving pink eye condition:
- You prepare the fennel seed eye wash by boiling slightly crushed fennel seeds (two heaped teaspoons) in water (half a liter).
- Now leave this water to cool down and then strain these fennel seeds.
- Transfer this fennel seed water to one clean container.
- Splash the eyes with the solution to get relief from the pain and itchiness.
If you want to discover other home remedies for pink eye, keep reading this writing!
24. Home Remedies For Pink Eye With Coffee
Coffee is a nonetheless and an unconventional effective home remedy to cure pink eye condition. You can use a homemade eye wash to soothe the symptoms of pink eye. Here are step by step instructions to prepare the unique home remedy for relieving pink eye condition:
- Boil water (one cup).
- Add coffee (two pinches) to the hot water.
- Allow this water to cool down completely.
- Finally, rinse your eyes thoroughly with this coffee eye wash.
- This remedy will help you get relief from the unpleasant symptoms which are linked to pink eye.
Goldenseal is a great cure to get rid of the problems of pink eyes. For positive results, you can use it as follows.
- You can mix goldenseal in water to make a useful mixture which will combat with pink eyes and get rid of germs from eyes.
- Alternatively, you can take two teaspoons of goldenseal in a cup of water. Boil the water and then add the goldenseal in it. Mix it well and use this mixture for elimination of your pink eyes. You must add chamomile and comfrey as well when you are willing to make drops for your eyes. It is suggested to use these drops in your eyes regularly and remove the problem of pink eyes in a natural manner.
26. Coriander Leaves
Coriander leaves are also an effective treatment to get rid of the problems of pink eyes. For optimal results, you can use it as follows.
- Take a handful of the leaves
- Add 250 ml water
- Boil for about 15-20 minutes.
- Cool and then strain the liquid
- You can use the decoction as an eyewash.
27. Home Remedies For Pink Eye – Fresh Lime
This remedy is also good for treating pink eye in adults. For expected results, what you need to do:
- Cut a fresh lime in half and next to close the infected eye.
- Use 1/2 of the lime to rinse the outside area, try open your eyes when the troubled area still moist with the lime juice, rinse this lime juice under running warn water.
- Dry with soft towel and then rub another half of this lime with a Q-tip, clean the inside part of the eyelids and tear ducts but not touch the eyeball.
- Repeat the Q-tip process but remember to use the new Q-tips at least three times within about 10 minutes.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 27 at home remedies for pink eye in adults, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to alleviate pink eye quickly and easily. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other at home remedies for pink eye condition, please leave them below.