Ulcers in stomach, also called gastric or peptic ulcers, are common pain ailments in both women and men, and even in children. About 4 million Americans suffer from stomach ulcers, while one in every 10 American people get an ulcer no less than once during the lifetime (American Gastroenterological Association). They are open sores or lesion in the lining of your stomach which are mainly triggered by the acids' irritation in your stomach. Other reasons can be physical injury, alcohol consumption and burns or simply the use of painkillers like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory pills, aspirin, naproxen or ibuprofen. Ulcers can be associated with some symptoms like vomiting, indigestion, abdominal pain, nausea, bloating and the like, which make you feel annoyed and painful. Most of people catching stomach ulcers can just suffer from some stomach severe and sharp pain, but some do not possess any symptom. If the ulcers become too deep, they can perforate or bleed, which is characterized as vomiting blood and blood passing through the stools. In these severe cases, it is recommended you get the doctor checked immediately. It is known that the traditional treatment for ulcers in stomach is prescribed antibiotics that can result in harsh side effects, leading to many people to select for natural home solutions. In this article, AllRemedies.com will introduce to you 28 natural home remedies for ulcers in stomach in the hope of helping you ease the ulcers' symptoms and healing them. Most home remedies concentrate on protecting and strengthening stomach lining against the acids. With their positive effects, I sincerely hope that they can work well with your current conditions.
Top 28 Natural Home Remedies For Ulcers In Stomach
Here are top 28 at home solutions that without a doubt help you ease the stomach ulcers safely and effectively:
1. Cabbage – Carrots
Cabbage is considered as one of the best home remedies for ulcers in the stomach thanks to its lactic acid that can produce the amino acid, which can stimulate blood flow over the stomach lining. Therefore, it can help strengthen stomach lining and heal the ulcer afterwards. Moreover, cabbage holds a rich amount of vitamin C that has been found to benefit from patients with H.pylori infections, while carrot juice is composed of vitamin U or called an anti-peptic ulcer factor. The mixture of cabbage and carrots will be the first best choice to treat ulcers in the stomach.
- 1/2 of a cabbage
- 2 carrots
- First, cut the cabbage and carrots into the small pieces
- Then, place them in a blender so as to extract the juice
- Next, drink 1/2 cup of this juice
- Repeat this remedy 3-4 times daily (prior to each meal and before going to bed) for some weeks.
You should make sure that you utilize fresh juice each time.
Coconut is useful for those suffering from ulcers in stomach due to its antibacterial properties.
These properties can kill the bacteria causing ulcers and its anti-ulcer qualities. You can consume coconut milk, tender coconut water, or coconut oil, any of which can help you treat ulcers in the stomach effectively.
Process 1: Coconut Milk Or Tender Coconut Water
- 1 cup of coconut milk or the tender coconut water
- Drink the coconut milk or the tender coconut water
- You can also consume the kernel of tender coconut
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times daily for no less than 1 week
Process 2: Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- Consume the coconut oil
- Repeat this remedy twice daily (once in the morning, another at night) for around 1 week
In order to treat ulcers in the stomach, both unripe and ripe bananas are beneficial because of its antibacterial compounds, which inhibit the development of ulcer. Plus, bananas protect the system thanks to its ability to wipe out acidity of the gastric juices, which helps to reduce inflammation and strengthen the stomach lining. Therefore, bananas are effective home remedies for ulcers in your stomach that you should follow at home.
- 1 ripe banana
- Eat the banana
- Repeat this at least 3 times daily
You can make banana milkshakes instead of eating ripe bananas.
Honey contains potent healing properties, which help much in treating stomach ulcers because its enzyme, called glucose oxidase, can produce hydrogen peroxide that kills harmful bacteria causing ulcers. Moreover, honey can soothe and reduce the inflammation of your stomach lining. Plus, it helps to strengthen the stomach lining, clear the bowel and treat and prevent stomach ulcers' recurrence. As a result, using honey as one of effective home remedies for ulcers in your stomach is your best choice ever.
- 2 tsp of honey
- Consume the honey once daily on an empty stomach in the morning.
As you start to cure your ulcers, you can consume 1 tsp of honey per day
5. Banana & Honey
Here is the instruction to make the mixture of banana and honey for treating ulcers:
- 2-3 bananas
- 1 tsp of honey
- First, peel the bananas and then cut them into thin slices
- Next, place the thin slices in the sun till they become dry.
- Afterwards, grind the dried pieces into powder
- After that, mix 2 tsp of dried banana powder with the honey together well
- Consume this mixture
- Repeat this remedy 3 times daily for around 1 week
Garlic that is always available in your kitchen also has a capability of treating ulcers in the stomach because of its antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that can keep checking the levels of Helicobacter pylori bacterium (Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle). Therefore, garlic not only can ease the inflammation but also prevent ulcers in your stomach.
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup of water
- First, crush the garlic cloves
- Then, eat the crushed garlic
- Next, drink the water
- Repeat this remedy 1-2 times daily
7. Cayenne Pepper
It is surprising that cayenne pepper can be one of home remedies for ulcers in the stomach because of its capsaicin compound can inhibit the stomach acids' secretion, boost the alkali's production and stimulate gastric mucosal blood flow and mucous secretions (A review in Critical Reviews in the Food Science and Nutrition).
- 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup of water
- Add the cayenne pepper into the water and stir them well
- Then, drink this liquid twice daily in the first 2-3 days.
- Afterwards, you gradually increase to 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper twice per day for the rest of the week.
You can consume cayenne capsules purchased at the health food stores. You should take 3 capsules daily right after meals in 1 week.
Alternatively, you can add 1 pinch of cayenne pepper to meats, soups and other savory dishes, which can help you treat ulcers in the stomach as well.
8. Licorice Root
Licorice root is proved to work effectively with preventing and treating ulcers in stomach since it helps the intestines and stomach produce more protective mucus, which forms a coating for the stomach lining. Therefore, licorice can ease the ulcer pain and speed up its healing process.
- 1-2 tsp of licorice root
- 1 cup of water
- Boil the water and then add the licorice root into it
- Let it simmer in 10 minutes
- Strain and drink the tea
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times daily in 1 week
You can also chew and afterwards swallow 2-3 deglycyrrhizinated licorice tablets 3 times daily in 1 week. It is easy for you to seek for these 380mg tablets in many health food stores.
9. Licorice Root & White Rice
Here is the direction to make the mixture of licorice root and white rice for getting rid of ulcers in your stomach effectively and safely at home:
- 1/2 tsp of licorice root powder
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of the cooked broken white rice
- First, mix the licorice powder with the water
- Then, cover and let it stay overnight.
- In the next morning, you add the rice into the infusion
- Afterwards, consume it.
- Repeat this remedy once daily in 1 week
You can eat only white rice that can help you relieve ulcers in your stomach as well.
10. Slippery Elm
Slippery Elm also acts as one of the natural home remedies for ulcers in your stomach because its inner bark holds mucilage that not only can soothe and calm the pain and inflammation but also helps to remove the excess fats in your intestines.
- Some inner bark of slippery elm
- 1 cup of warm water
- First, Grind the bark into the powder
- Then, mix 1 tsp of the powder with the warm water
- Afterwards, consume the mixture 3 times daily in 1 week