A sinus infection often occurs because of a virus. Also, it can be caused by fungi or bacteria. It is usually triggered by a cold, which causes the inflammation and swelling of the sinuses, and then leading to a buildup of mucus, hence blocking the sinuses. Behind the forehead and the cheekbones, there are sinuses, which are air-filled, hollow sacs. When these sacs are filled with the fluid, harbor germs, they give a rise to infection. Other factors that can lead to a sinus infection include nasal polyps, allergies, exposure to pollutants, a deviated septum, and tissue irritants such as over the counter nasal sprays, cocaine, and cigarette smoke. In the framework of this writing, AllRemedies.com will introduce to you 30 best natural home remedies for sinus infection in adults without any side effect. These home remedies are collected from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Continue reading this article to understand more!
Top 30 Natural Home Remedies For Sinus Infection In Adults
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Actually, apple cider vinegar contains antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal properties that help cure sinus infections.
ACV not only helps treat sinus infections, but it also used in treating allergies, colds, or flu.
Drinking apple cider vinegar immediately at the beginning of allergies, colds, or flu can help in stopping a sinus infection from growing.
- Two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- One cup of warm water
- One teaspoon of honey
- You can add apple cider vinegar to warm water.
- Then you mix with honey.
- You should drink this three times per day for five days.
Onion is a great decongestant to open up the sinuses. In addition, it has sulfur compounds that fight fungi and bacteria. Therefore, onion is also one of the best home remedies for sinus infection.
- You cut one onion into small pieces. Then, you put these pieces in one pot of water.
- You let it boil for five minutes. After that, you inhale the vapors for about a few minutes.
- Next, you can strain the liquid and then drink it.
- You should practice a few times per day for about one week or till the congestion clears.
Horseradish is one of the best home remedies for sinus infection in adults because it helps eliminate mucus from your nasal passages. It has high levels of sulfur. Furthermore, it acts as a natural antibiotic.
- You can put a pinch of grated horseradish into your mouth.
- You should keep it in your mouth till its flavor disappears. After that, you can swallow it.
- You should practice a few times per day for about one week or till you see the improvement.
4. Nasal Irrigation
In fact, nasal irrigation is very beneficial for reducing sinus infection because it helps clean mucus and debris from your sinuses. Moreover, it keeps them moist.
- One teaspoon of sea salt
- One-half teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide
- One cup of distilled warm water
You mix sea salt and hydrogen peroxide in the distilled warm water. You can use this way for nasal irrigation by using one bulb syringe or some other irrigation devices. You should repeat this once per day for several days until you get the result. Remember that you do not practice it more often than once a day because it can irritate the mucous membranes.
5. Saline Solution
Sea salt and baking soda are found to contain anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. They will be one of the most effective home remedies for sinus infection.
- One neti pot
- Four cups of boiled water
- One teaspoon of table salt
- Five drops of oregano extract
- Three drops of tea tree oil
- Three drops of eucalyptus oil
- One teaspoon of baking soda
- You will boil about four cups of water and then let it cool down to room temperature.
- You add table salt, oregano extract, tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil, baking soda to the boiled water. Then, you mix them well.
- Baking soda and sea salt will help in thinning the mucus in the nose.
- You should irrigate the sinus linings in the nose regularly for a few times per day.
Then, you can decrease the number of times. After two to three days, you will feel that the sinus infection is gone.
There are many other natural home remedies for sinus infection presented in this article, keep reading the writing to learn more!
6. Sea Salt And Baking Soda
To clear your mucus as well as sinus infection, you can use saline solution. This remedy is simpler than the above treatment. You just prepare the things:
- One-quarter teaspoon of salt
- One-quarter teaspoon of baking soda
- One to two teaspoons of warm water to mix the solution
- One glass of water
- You take a mug and then you add baking soda and salt into it.
- Next, you mix it with warm water.
- Now, you pour normal water to fill up the mug.
- You should check this liquid in the mug whether it is lukewarm or hot.
- You take neti pot or nasal aspirator and put the tip into the solution and you fill it up.
- You should tilt the head to one side. Now, you pour this solution slightly in one nostril. Then, you let the liquid come across your other nostril which will remove the mucus and clear out your nose. You should repeat this process for your other nostril to receive relief from the sinus infection and also its symptoms.
Make sure that you do not practice this process immediately before bedtime because sinus will drain into your ear canals that may cause the ear infection.
Way 2: Neti pot
You simply use the neti pots that you can buy at many drug stores. It has been used to help reduce nasal and sinus congestion for centuries. These small pots work by literally washing out your nasal cavities.
For your part, to use one neti pot properly, you should make sure that you use bottled water which has been sterilized or distilled because you can be the infection. If you take tap water, you can boil it for e few minutes and then, you let it cool completely before use. Then, you can practice as the final step in way 1.
7. Cayenne Pepper
One of the most effective home remedies for sinus infection is cayenne pepper that open up and clear out the sinuses. Moreover, it increases immunity, decreases swelling and inflammation, and promotes circulation. Therefore, cayenne pepper is one of the best natural home remedies for sinus infection.
- You mix cayenne pepper (one teaspoon) in one glass of hot water. You should drink it two to three times per day.
- Another option, you can mix honey and one teaspoon of cayenne pepper to make a mixture. After that, you can eat this mixture a few times per day.
You should practice either of these ways for several days or until you get improvement.
Garlic contains some chemical substance that kills the virus, fungal or bacterial infections. Because bacterial infection causes a sinus, garlic helps to kill the bacterial infection and treats the sinus problem.
You take water in a pot. After that, you boil it for about few minutes. After it begins boiling, then you add crushed garlic (three to four cloves) into it. You turn off the heat then cover it with the washcloth or towel so that the steam cannot escape. Now, you inhale the steam that gives instant aid from your sinus by loosening the mucus. You should repeat the process when you feel necessary.
You can make a juice or soup from garlic cloves. You boil garlic cloves (two to three cloves) in water (a cup). Then, you mix turmeric powder (1/2 teaspoon) in it well. You should drink this regularly until you get the result from the sinus problem.
You can eat few fresh garlic cloves which help to get aid from the discomfort and stuffiness. Alternatively, you can eat pizzas or the garlic bread to get aid from the sinus problem. However, you have to make sure that your children do not eat the garlic cloves because it can cause any other problem that has not the advice of the doctor.
Ginger contains antiviral, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties that help cure sinus infections. The polyphenols in ginger help prevent the secretion of the mucus and maintain the usual nasal ciliary motility. The healthy cilia are essential for sinus health because they prevent sinus infections and filter allergens.
- You chop a fresh ginger root (two-inch piece) into slices.
- Then, you boil these slices in a cup of water on heat for 10 minutes.
- Next, you strain the mixture and mix honey and drops of lemon juice in it.
- You should drink this tea several times per day for about one week or until you see the desired results.
Turmeric is one of the best home remedies for sinus infection because it contains antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties. It contains an active compound which is called curcumin that helps treat the swelling in your sinus cavity and clear out your airways. Apart from garlic, turmeric is also one of the best home remedies for sinus infection.
- You mix turmeric powder (a pinch) in a glass of tepid water. You can gargle with it several times per day for several days.
- Another way, you can drink a cup of hot milk which is mixed with turmeric powder (one teaspoon) and a little honey. You can drink it every day for about a week or until you see the result.
- Another option, you can make a turmeric smoothie by mixing two inches of turmeric root (two pieces), one lemon juice, one tablespoon of honey, cayenne pepper (a pinch), one banana & one-half cup of water. You should drink this smoothie every day for a few days.
11. Steam Inhalation
One of the popular home remedies for sinus infection is inhalation therapy. It acts as the natural expectorant to remove the congestion. Also, it can lubricate the irritated respiratory tract. You can practice the following way three or four times per day.
- You have to boil a cup of water.
Then, you can add peppermint essential oil (a few drops) into boiling water.
Then, you quickly inhale the steam.
Caution: Steam inhalation is always not recommended for children because of the danger of burns. In addition, it may also not be suitable for those having high blood pressure, central nervous system disorders or heart condition and pregnant women.
12. Warm Water
Actually, when you are suffering from sinus infection, it is important to have the steady flow of mucus through the nasal passages. Warm water can help in this regard greatly. It will also hold the nasal passages moist and stop them from drying out.
- You can use a humidifier to open clogged nasal passages.
- Also, you can run the hot shower for a few minutes in order that steam can build up in your bathroom. Then you inhale in the soothing vapors. You should repeat twice every day until you recover completely.
Alternatively, you can wet a washcloth in tepid water and put it over your face. You should keep it on for about 10 to 15 minutes. You should repeat several times per day.
13. Oil Of Oregano
In fact, this essential oil contains antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties. Moreover, it also has an anti-inflammatory that helps decrease inflammation. It acts as an excellent antioxidant and immune-booster.
- You put the oil of oregano (a few drops) in boiling water (one-half cup). Then, you can inhale the steam to remove the congestion and open the sinuses. You should practice this every day until the infection clear.
- Another option, you mix oregano oil (two or three drops) in a cup of water. You should drink it twice daily until the infection disappears.
- Another way, you simply put the oil (one or two drops) under your tongue every day for about per week, or until you see positive results.
14. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil helps to fight the sinus infection and strengthen the respiratory system. It can remove your sinus problem.
- You pour eucalyptus oil (one or two drops) in a fresh handkerchief.
- You should try to breathe its perfume regularly to receive relief.
- Another option, you can use eucalyptus oil on your pillows where you sleep in order that it can aid while you are sleeping.
- You should repeat it regularly to treat the sinus problem.
15. Grapefruit Seed Extract
In fact, grapefruit seed has powerful antibiotic property. It used to treat this sinus infection.
- You take five drops of grapefruit seed extract.
- Then, you add this in 6 ounces of water.
- You mix it well and then drink this twice per day.
- You should drink it regularly, which will help to treat sinus infection because it contains both anti-fungal properties that help to treat this problem.
- Grapefruit seed extract can be found in liquid form and in pill form.
- It makes sure that it causes an allergic reaction to a few people. Therefore, when you start to use it, you should take a small amount with the advice of your doctor.
16. Nose Exercise
Actually, your sinus has to be improved the blood flow in order to stop the sinus infection to grow in your nose. The following gentle exercise for the nose will help in decreasing sinus infection.
- Firstly, you press one side of your nose lightly with your thumb for 15 seconds.
Then, you repeat it on the other one of your nose.
This can help in increasing the blood flow in the nose to the sinuses. Therefore, it will prevent sinus infection.
You should do this a few times per day if you are suffering from sinus infection.
17. Thyme Oil
- You add pure thyme oil of 8 to 10 drops in one bowl of water.
- Then, you put it over your stove and boil it until the steam evaporates.
- Now, you can cover a towel over your head & your bowl and start to breathe the steam that comes out of the bowl.
- You should practice this for about fifteen minutes per day for three or four days to get rid of sinus infection.
18. Increase Fluid Intake
You should drink plenty of fluids, particularly water. This will help prevent you from dehydrating and will also thin the mucus in your throat and nose.
It will help drain the mucus easily. You should make sure that you drink at least 7 cups of water every day to thin your mucus in order that sinus does not reach you.
It is very important for you to avoid caffeinated beverages when you are suffering from sinus infection because they easily dehydrate the body. It is also important to take enough rest if you are suffering from sinus infection.
19. Avoid Alcohol
You have to avoid alcohol totally when you suffer from sinus infection. It will create the mucus membranes of your nose and sinus passages will swell up because of irritations. Therefore, it is better for you to avoid any beverage which has traces of alcohol.
For your part, do you feel difficult to breathe and focus on anything because of mucus in your nose? You should practice the above home remedies for sinus infection.
20. Echinacea For The Sinus Infection
For a long time, echinacea herb which is in the sunflower family Native Americans has used to treat flu and colds. It is one of the most effective home remedies for sinus infection because it contains strong antibacterial properties.
Because echinacea strengthens the immune system, it is a better option to remove the virus or bacteria so that they don't come back easily.
To practice this remedy, you will need:
- One teaspoon of dried echinacea
- One-half to one cups of boiling water
- Firstly, you have to boil water.
- Then, you take echinacea into boiling water.
- Next, you simmer for 15 minutes.
Finally, you have to strain and drink this tea.
You should drink four to six cups of echinacea tea every day until you get aid from sinus infection.
If you are taking any medicines, you should consult your doctor before using any herbal treatment for the sinus infection.
21. Lemon Balm
Lemon balm contains the anti-viral property which fights the virus and treats sinus infection.
- Firstly, you take few lemon balm leaves and let them dry.
- Then, you boil these leaves in clean water for about 10 minutes.
- You strain the mixture and then you can use it as the gargle.
- You should gargle with this mixture two times per day to receive relief from the pain.
22. Raw Honey
You should be sure only use raw honey. If honey is added to filtered water, it loses most of the healing properties. Raw honey contains antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties and increases the immune system. You are suggested starting a day with honey water. You simply mix one teaspoon of honey into one glass of warm water. It is very good for your body. Now, to treat sinus infection, you can try this remedy:
- Warm water – -one glass
- Honey – one teaspoon
- Apple cider vinegar – one tablespoon
- Minced raw garlic – three gloves
- You can mix well and then you use it to drink to your health of sinuses!
- Another option, if you scare the garlic breath or the abundance of tastes, you just try mixing raw honey and apple cider vinegar. You can consume 3 times per day. Two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of honey will protect you from sinus infection.
23. Sip On Fluids
You should sip on hot fluids during the day. The following ways are the great natural home remedies for sinus infection you should try applying.
Hot chicken soup, which mixes with cayenne pepper, is one of the greatest fluids to treat a sinus infection. Some studies are recommended that chicken soup can actually reduce mucous production because it can affect the inflammation and immune function. Also, the heat and steam will help. Moreover, the pepper contains capsaicin that will help to protect sinus infection from blocking and having pain. If you are sick, it is an excellent way to hold hydrated.
In fact, tomatoes are full of vitamin C and fiber. They also contain anti-inflammatory properties that help decrease swelling in your nasal cavity, particularly in the mucous membrane.
And to cook a healthy tomato soup, you just boil a glass of tomato juice in one pan and then you add one tablespoon of lemon juice, a pinch of salt, one tablespoon of chopped garlic to it. Next, you mix the ingredients well and then you can bring to a boil. You should drink this hot soup at least two bowls every day.
Carrot and cucumber juice:
You can drink one glass of carrot juice every day in the morning because it contains vitamin A that is very useful for the healing of sinus infection.
Or, you can also drink a mixture of cucumber and carrot juice regularly so that you can receive relief from sinus infection.
Hot herbal tea:
You should sip on hot ginger tea and herbal teas such as cinnamon tea and chamomile tea all of which give huge relief. It is also necessary to sip on the hot water during the day because this keeps your body hydrated, helps in draining the mucous effectively and removes the bacteria from the system.
24. Use A Warm Compress
If you suffer from sinus infection, you can try putting a warm compress over your face that covers the nose, eyes and cheeks. This will help reduce your facial pain and pressure that are caused by sinus infection. In addition, you can use a warm compress over the ear to unclog the clogged ear or to reduce sinus pressure in ears.
25. Face Massage
You should massage your face, which can help unblocking your nose and providing temporary relief from a sinus pain.
- You use both the index fingers to massage your forehead at the corners of your eyebrows, especially the inner corners.
- You should practice for about 20 seconds, and then you move your index fingers down and continue the massage on both sides of the bridge of the nose.
- Next, you create pressure to the cheek bones.
- After that, you stroke the face from your cheekbones to ears and you can use the index fingers to push behind the earlobes.
26. Carom Seeds
Carom seeds can loosen the mucus, which will help you breathe easily.
- Simply you need to grind the carom seeds and then you can put them into a mug of boiling water. When the water is hot, you eliminate it from the heat. Finally, you just inhale the steam.
- Another option, you can put some carom seeds into a clean cloth and wrap it. Next, you have to tie it to make a small bag and then you can hang this around your neck. You should practice this before going to bed. Therefore, your nose will not get blocked at night.
27. Basil Leaves
Basil contains anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, it is one of the most supernatural home remedies for sinus infection. It can make the mucus drain out.
- Simply, you can take some washed basil leaves and then you add them into one kettle of hot water.
- You let it steep for a while.
- After that, you can sieve the liquid into one cup and sip it.
28. Holy Basil Leaves
Using holy basil leaves is also one of the best home remedies for sinus infection. You can follow the following way:
- Holy basil -10 leaves
- Black pepper – 10 corns
- Sugar candy – 10 cubes
- Ginger – 2mg
- Water – 250gm
Firstly, you boil all the above things until when half the water remains, you can strain it. You should drink it like tea when your stomach is empty in the morning. You should practice for three days to heal sinus problem. However, when you have already drunk this tea, you just should take the bath after two hours.
One of the popular home remedies for sinus infection is beetroot because it can help in treating sinus infection. You should practice the beetroot remedy for several days till the sinus infection is treated.
- You need to take 2 teaspoons of the ground beetroot and then you boil it with water for about 20 minutes.
- Next, you pour this colored water in one NeilMed bottle.
- You can rinse thoroughly inside the infected nostril by using this tepid beetroot water.
- You should continue this remedy for a few days to get rid of sinus infection.
30. Diet Plan
In fact, following a healthy diet will be very helpful in treating your problem. Finally, you should remember the following tips:
- Drink herbal tea regularly to loosen the mucus, which helps to remove the toxins from inside the body. Therefore, a sinus infection will be treated.
- Add red chilli, ginger, garlic, and onions in your diet, which make your food spicier. Eat spicy food which helps in increasing the flow of mucus in the nasal passages and easily get relief.
- Eat food that is abundant in vitamin A like mangoes, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli leaves, and sweet potatoes.
- Have food which has anti-inflammatory property in the diet.
- Dink plenty of liquid by drinking water, hot beverages, fresh fruit juices, herbal teas, broth, soups etc to keep yourself hydrated. This makes excess mucus drain and helps to stop the sinus infection effectively.
- Avoid smoking, taking alcohol and other beverages like cola coffee etc.
- Avoid high processed foods and dairy products which raise the nasal congestion.
- Avoid highly refined foods containing white sugar, white flour, and starchy ingredients like fried foods, candies, macaroni products and pies. Because these will raise the mucus secretions as well as make sinus to prolong.
- Food cause allergies to you should be avoided because it can raise the sinus.
If you want to know more about natural, at-home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of 30 best natural home remedies for sinus infection in adults, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of sinus infection quickly and easily. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at home remedy.