Flu is an infectious viral disease which affects your upper respiratory system, such as lungs, nose and throat. Common symptoms of flu are a runny nose, sore throat, repetitive sneezing, body aches, headache, congestion in your nasal passages, high fever, weakness, dry cough and loss of appetite. It is very important to start treatment as soon as its symptoms appear because flu can lead to the other health complications including ear infections, bronchitis and pneumonia. Prescribed antiviral drugs can ease symptoms. However, simple home remedies may alleviate mild to moderate symptoms of flu. In this article, AllRemedies.com show you top 12 natural home remedies for flu symptoms without any side effect. This writing listed the best treatments to get rid of flu symptoms from reliable sources. Nevertheless, it is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Keep reading this writing to learn more these 12 home remedies for flu in more detail!
Top 12 Natural Home Remedies For Flu Symptoms That Work
The warm nature and the powerful anti-inflammatory properties of ginger help treat various the flu symptoms. In addition, it helps speed up the immune system to kill off viruses that cause flu. For the better results, what you need to do:
- Prepare ginger tea by adding freshly grated ginger (one-half teaspoon) to boiling water (one cup) and allowing it steep for some minutes. Then add some honey and drink this tea 3-4 times a day.
- Another option is to combine 2 teaspoons each of bayberry bark and grated ginger root and powdered cayenne (one teaspoon). Add the mixture (one teaspoon) to boiling water (one cup). Let it steep for 30 minutes and then strain it. You had better drink this several times per day.
- Or simply, you can grate fresh ginger and then eat a small amount a few times per day or add slices of ginger to your soups and other dishes.
Honey is considered as one of the best home remedies for flu. Honey helps boost the immune system as well as helps reduce the common flu symptoms. It also contains antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that can enhance the healing process. Here are detailed directions to use honey for curing flu:
- Simply, take honey (one tablespoon) with water (a glass) several times a day.
- Mix honey (one tablespoon) in hot water (one cup). If you want, you can add lemon juice (a few drops). The soothing drink will enhance mucus flow and help decrease itchiness and irritation in your throat. It is suggested to drink it 2-3 times a day.
- Another choice is to mix equal amounts of onion juice and honey. Have this mixture (one teaspoon) three times a day, till the flu is gone.
- Alternatively, you can combine honey (one teaspoon) with the juice extracted from ten to fifteen fresh basil leaves. You had better take this once per day.
Precaution: Honey had better not be given to kids under age 1.
One of the simplest home remedies for flu is using lemon. Lemon contains antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties that act together in order to weaken the flu virus in your body and its annoying symptoms as well. For treating flu, what you need to do:
- Squeeze one lemon in warm water (a glass) and drink it. You should repeat this way three or four times every day until the symptoms subside.
- Another option is to add the juice of a small lemon and 1 tablespoon each of rum and honey to boiling water (a cup). Allow it to steep for several minutes. You should drink this hot lemonade two times every day for a few days.
- Alternatively, put a chopped lemon (both pulp and skin) into boiling water (one cup). Let it steep for 5 minutes and next inhale the steam.
- It is suggested to this hot lemonade 3-4 times a day till your symptoms subside.
One of the most popular home remedies for flu is garlic. Garlic can act wonder as a cure for flu due to its natural antifungal, antiseptic, antiviral and antibacterial properties. In addition, it has the immune-boosting compound allicin helping relieve various flu symptoms. Here are step by step instructions to use garlic for flu:
- First of all, crush or chop two or three fresh cloves of garlic and then put them in a cup of hot water. Allow it to steep for about 10 minutes, strain and now consume it like a tea. It is recommended to do this 3-4 times a day.
- Or simply, you can chew one raw clove of garlic or swallow garlic juice (one teaspoon) with water a few times a day.
Mustard is also considered among one of the most excellent home remedies for flu. The healing properties present in mustard can help in treating symptoms of flu to a great extent. Plus, it is packed with anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties which help with a fast recovery. To use it for curing flu, you can do as follows:
- Make a paste with dry mustard (one tablespoon), flour (four tablespoons), a little of warm water and one egg white. Smear this paste on one clean muslin cloth and next put another cloth over it. After that, dab some olive oil on the chest and lay the mustard plaster on it. Later remove after some minutes and rinse your chest with one clean cloth immersed in warm water. Do this once every day or very 4-6 hours.
- In one large bucket, you add mustard powder (one tablespoon) for some hot water. Soak the feet in it for some minutes till the water cools. Surprisingly, this draws blood to the feet as well as improves circulation, which helps in relieving congestion and speeding up the healing process. You had better do this way two times every day.
One of the home remedies for flu is fenugreek due to its strong antiviral and many other medicinal properties. Here are detailed guides to use it for flu:
- Add fenugreek seeds (one tablespoon) to 1/2 quart of water. Then boil it till it is reduced to 1/3 of its original volume. Later strain this solution, and then add fresh ginger juice (one teaspoon) and honey (a few drops). You should drink this method once a day for 3-4 days.
- Another choice is to soak fenugreek seeds (one teaspoon) in one glass of water entire night. In the morning, you strain out these seeds and warm up this liquid. Gargle with this solution to help soothe a sore throat. It is suggested to follow this way once or twice every day for a few days.
Steam is also one of the most effective home remedies for flu. For the most beneficial results, what you need to do:
- The first step is to turn on one hot shower and then sit in this closed bathroom for a couple of minutes, inhaling this steam. You should do this process several times a day in order to ease congestion.
- Alternatively, pour boiled water into one large bowl. You may add eucalyptus oil or thyme oil (a few drops) to the water to enhance the healing effects. Then drape a towel over the head and breathe deeply for several minutes. You can do this method as needed to remove congestion.
Peppermint is also one of the greatest home remedies for flu symptoms. Especially, it is packed with nutrients that help your body kill off the infection. It contains menthol that works as an expectorant, helping your body cough up the mucus and thereby relieving congestion, calming cough symptoms and soothing a sore throat. Here are easy methods you can follow at home:
- Add chopped peppermint leaves (one tablespoon) to hot water (one cup). Let it steep for about ten minutes, strain and next add a little honey to sweeten it. Now, drink this tea as it is still warm. You had better have about 3-4 cups every day for a quick recovery.
- Alternatively, you can add fresh peppermint leaves in soups or salads.
9. Orange Juice
As you know, insufficient water intake during the flu may cause dehydration, so you have to consume plenty of fluids. Drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water a day will keep the body thin and hydrated mucous secretions. For the best results, you should drink orange juice a few times a day. Orange juice is very rich in vitamin C which improves the immune system as well as increases white blood cells production to combat infection and maintain viruses at bay. Instead of packaged versions, you should opt for fresh juice of orange.
10. Chicken Soup
Surprisingly, chicken soup is a tested and tried remedy for flu and highly effective in controlling the various symptoms. Some studies have concluded that the chicken soup inhibits production of inflammatory compounds which are released in response to one viral infection. A hot bowl of this soup helps thin mucus and maintains the body hydrated. You had better have some homemade chicken soup two times every day for the first 3-4 days after symptoms appear. In order to boost its effects, you can add red pepper flakes or chopped garlic to this soup while preparing it.
11. Ginger And Garlic
This combination is also one of the best effective home remedies for flu. For positive results, what you need to do:
- Fresh ginger with skin (3-4 slices)
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- Tea of choice (green, black, oolong, herbal)
- Cayenne powder
- Honey to taste
- Milk (optional)
- Bring fresh ginger (skin on) (3-4 slices) and chopped garlic (one clove) to a boil and then simmer for around 20 minutes
- After that, use ginger water in order to steep tea (black, oolong, green or any herbal tea)
- Next, add cayenne powder and honey to taste
- Add your milk or dairy alternative (soy, almond or other)
- Finally, drink 3-4 cups a day
- Drink before going to bed and bundle up in order to induce sweat.
12. Onion And Sugar
To use this remedy for curing flu, you can do as follows:
- 2–3 onions
- Brown or white sugar
- Sterilized, lid and dry glass jar
- Peel and chop your onions.
- Alternate one-half inch layers of sugar as well as onion in a glass jar, beginning and ending with sugar.
- Refrigerate entire night.
- You can strain out this onion or allow in the syrup.
- Finally, keep refrigerated.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 12 natural home remedies for flu symptoms, hope you find your effective home remedy for treating flu soon and removing its symptoms quickly. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at-home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other home remedies for flu symptoms, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible. Also you can share the experience if you know any other natural flu remedies to us.