Table of Contents
Flu is an infectious viral disease which affects your upper respiratory system, such as lungs, nose and throat. Common symptoms of flu are a runny nose, sore throat, repetitive sneezing, body aches, headache, congestion in your nasal passages, high fever, weakness, dry cough and loss of appetite. It is very important to start treatment as soon as its symptoms appear because flu can lead to the other health complications including ear infections, bronchitis and pneumonia. Prescribed antiviral drugs can ease symptoms. However, simple home remedies may alleviate mild to moderate symptoms of flu. In this article, AllRemedies.com show you top 31 natural home remedies for flu symptoms without any side effect. This writing listed the best treatments to get rid of flu symptoms from reliable sources. Nevertheless, it is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Keep reading this writing to learn more these 31 home remedies for flu in more detail!
Top 31 Natural Home Remedies For Flu Symptoms That Work
If you have flu symptoms, you do not need to make an appointment with a doctor. Flu symptom can disappear within a few days and it is not a serious life-threatening problem. Suffering from flu and its uncomfortable symptoms, you just need to rest at home, drink a lot of water and keep body warm. In order to reduce a high temperature and alleviate aches, you should take ibuprofen or paracetamol. It is recommended taking a few days off school or work until you get better and the symptoms of flu disappear completely. For most people, it may take a week. Now, with a development of medical services, an annual flu vaccine nasal spray is given to children at the age of two, three or four and to students in school years. The autumn which is between September and November is an ideal time for you to have the vaccine. The flu vaccination can help you to fight against the viruses causing flu each year. Therefore, if it is possible, you should take the flu vaccination every year. When you want to have the vaccine, discuss it with your GP surgery.
Flu can be treated with medications. However, these medications may result in unwanted side effects if used in a long term. Pregnant women and nursing mom should not use medications to treat flu or colds. In these cases, natural home remedies for flu symptoms are the wonderful, amazing alternatives. If you are interested in natural home remedies for flu symptoms, you should continue read this article bellow to know more.
I – Natural Home Remedies For Flu Symptoms – Raw Ingredients
1. Hot Pepper
If you can bear the heat of hot pepper and can eat spicy foods, you should feel lucky. This is because hot pepper is one of effective home remedies for flu. Pepper contains capsaicin, a constituent that can help to loosen up mucous when you expel it.
In order to relieve the uncomfortable symptoms of flu, you just need to take a bite of hot pepper. Alternatively, you can enjoy some spicy foods. The fluids, the steam, heat and the expectorant actions can give you a significant relief.
2. Home Remedies For Flu – Onions
Onions contain allicin and allion, compounds that have antimicrobial properties. It is a common flu-fighting food and one of home remedies for flu. If you have the flu, you should consume a serving of raw onions every three or four hours. Onions are rich in minerals and vitamins that are beneficial for the health. In addition to treating flu, onion can be used to treat and prevent many health problems. Therefore, it is advisable to add onions in your regular diet.
Many spices are home remedies for flu symptoms such as cloves, turmeric, and cinnamon. These spices are loaded with antioxidants that can boost the immune system and fight against a plenty of health ailments. Studies have found out that consuming a teaspoon of spices daily can keep the flu at bay. Therefore, you should mix some cinnamon with a bowl of oatmeal and eat it as a healthy breakfast. You can also sprinkle nutmeg over the applesauce.
If you are having the flu, you can use a traditional Indian tea made from beneficial spices. Drinking this tea can help your body to sweat out, lowering your body temperature.
Do you want to know how to make this tea?
- A cup of boiling water
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of coriander
- ¼ teaspoon of powdered ginger
- Put cinnamon, coriander and powdered ginger in a mug
- Pour the boiling water over it
- Cover the mug and let the mixture steep for 15 minutes
- Sip it slowly
Drinking two or three cups of this tea daily can help to bring your body temperature down.
4. Home Remedies For Flu – Berries
All berries are packed with antioxidants that can help to kill off flu viruses and improve your immune system. A study showed that blueberries contain more antioxidants when compared with 40 other fruits and vegetables.
When you are having the flu, you should eat berries daily. Moreover, it is recommended consuming at least ½ cup of raw berries per day during the flu season can help to keep the flu at bay. Fresh berries are available during the cold months. If it is not a season for fresh berries, you can buy frozen berries in the supermarket.
Do not cook berries because it can lead to the nutrient loss. Frozen berries can be added to yogurt, smoothies, and salads.
Ginger that helps you deal with many health problems also helps you treat flu effectively.
Ginger is the first thing you should remember when you want to look for natural home remedies for flu. The ginger has delicious, spicy taste and contains warming effects. Therefore, it is often added in a variety of foods for flavor. But not many people know that ginger possesses many health benefits. It is due to the presence of aromatic constituents such as piperine (available in black pepper) and capsaicin (available in chilies). Gingerol in ginger is beneficial in relieving congestion. It alleviates the inflammation caused by flu or many health problems. The warm nature and the powerful anti-inflammatory properties of ginger help treat various the flu symptoms. In addition, it helps speed up the immune system to kill off viruses that cause flu. For the better results, what you need to do:
- Prepare ginger tea by adding freshly grated ginger (one-half teaspoon) to boiling water (one cup) and allowing it steep for some minutes. Then add some honey and drink this tea 3-4 times a day.
- Another option is to combine 2 teaspoons each of bayberry bark and grated ginger root and powdered cayenne (one teaspoon). Add the mixture (one teaspoon) to boiling water (one cup). Let it steep for 30 minutes and then strain it. You had better drink this several times per day.
- Or simply, you can grate fresh ginger and then eat a small amount a few times per day or add slices of ginger to your soups and other dishes.
When you use ginger to treat flu, you should consume enough fluids and drink at least 8 glasses of water per day to prevent dehydration.
6. Home Remedies For Flu Using Honey
Honey is considered as one of the best home remedies for flu. Honey helps boost the immune system as well as helps reduce the common flu symptoms. It also contains antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that can enhance the healing process. Here are detailed directions to use honey for curing flu: 
- Simply, take honey (one tablespoon) with water (a glass) several times a day.
- Mix honey (one tablespoon) in hot water (one cup). If you want, you can add lemon juice (a few drops). The soothing drink will enhance mucus flow and help decrease itchiness and irritation in your throat. It is suggested to drink it 2-3 times a day.
- Another choice is to mix equal amounts of onion juice and honey. Have this mixture (one teaspoon) three times a day, till the flu is gone.
- Alternatively, you can combine honey (one teaspoon) with the juice extracted from ten to fifteen fresh basil leaves. You had better take this once per day.
Precaution: Honey had better not be given to kids under age 1.
One of the simplest home remedies for flu is using lemon. Lemon contains antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory  and antifungal properties that act together in order to weaken the flu virus in your body and its annoying symptoms as well. For treating flu, what you need to do:
- Squeeze one lemon in warm water (a glass) and drink it. You should repeat this way three or four times every day until the symptoms subside.
- Another option is to add the juice of a small lemon and 1 tablespoon each of rum and honey to boiling water (a cup). Allow it to steep for several minutes. You should drink this hot lemonade two times every day for a few days.
- Alternatively, put a chopped lemon (both pulp and skin) into boiling water (one cup). Let it steep for 5 minutes and next inhale the steam.
- It is suggested to this hot lemonade 3-4 times a day till your symptoms subside.
8. Home Remedies For Flu Using Garlic
One of the most popular home remedies for flu is garlic. Garlic can act wonder as a cure for flu due to its natural antifungal, antiseptic, antiviral and antibacterial properties. In addition, it has the immune-boosting compound allicin helping relieve various flu symptoms. Here are step by step instructions to use garlic for flu:
- First of all, crush or chop two or three fresh cloves of garlic and then put them in a cup of hot water. Allow it to steep for about 10 minutes, strain and now consume it like a tea. It is recommended to do this 3-4 times a day.
- Or simply, you can chew one raw clove of garlic or swallow garlic juice (one teaspoon) with water a few times a day.
9. Home Remedies For Flu Using Ginger And Garlic
This combination is also one of the best effective home remedies for flu. For positive results, what you need to do:
- Fresh ginger with skin (3-4 slices)
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- Tea of choice (green, black, oolong, herbal)
- Cayenne powder
- Honey to taste
- Milk (optional)
- Bring fresh ginger (skin on) (3-4 slices) and chopped garlic (one clove) to a boil and then simmer for around 20 minutes
- After that, use ginger water in order to steep tea (black, oolong, green or any herbal tea)
- Next, add cayenne powder and honey to taste
- Add your milk or dairy alternative (soy, almond or other)
- Finally, drink 3-4 cups a day
- Drink before going to bed and bundle up in order to induce sweat.
10. Home Remedies For Flu Using Onion And Sugar
To use this remedy for curing flu, you can do as follows:
- 2–3 onions
- Brown or white sugar
- Sterilized, lid and dry glass jar
- Peel and chop your onions.
- Alternate one-half inch layers of sugar as well as onion in a glass jar, beginning and ending with sugar.
- Refrigerate entire night.
- You can strain out this onion or allow in the syrup.
- Finally, keep refrigerated.
11. Coconut Oil And Peppermint Essential Oil
It is a great idea if you make your own vapor rub from coconut oil and peppermint essential oil. Both oils have soothing effects for flu and colds. The combination can give you a significant relief for uncomfortable symptom of flu and cold. The essential oil contains the menthol that has cooling effects that make the congestion bearable by making you feel like you can breathe well.
You will need:
- 15 drops of peppermint essential oil
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- An airtight container
- Put the coconut oil in a stove to melt it down
- Put the coconut oil into a safe airtight container
- Add peppermint essential oil to this container
- Stir it well
- Let this mixture cool down
- Rub a little mixture on your chest and under your nose (make sure that you do not touch your eyes when you do this treatment)
Repeat this treatment once or three a day for a good result. If do not let this oil mixture exposed to direct sunlight, the mixture can last up to 3 years.
12. Home Remedies For Flu Using Mustard
Mustard is also considered among one of the most excellent home remedies for flu. The healing properties present in mustard can help in treating symptoms of flu to a great extent. Plus, it is packed with anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties which help with a fast recovery. To use it for curing flu, you can do as follows:
- Make a paste with dry mustard (one tablespoon), flour (four tablespoons), a little of warm water and one egg white. Smear this paste on one clean muslin cloth and next put another cloth over it. After that, dab some olive oil on the chest and lay the mustard plaster on it. Later remove after some minutes and rinse your chest with one clean cloth immersed in warm water. Do this once every day or very 4-6 hours.
- In one large bucket, you add mustard powder (one tablespoon) for some hot water. Soak the feet in it for some minutes till the water cools. Surprisingly, this draws blood to the feet as well as improves circulation, which helps in relieving congestion and speeding up the healing process. You had better do this way two times every day.
13. Orange Juice
As you know, insufficient water intake during the flu may cause dehydration, so you have to consume plenty of fluids. Drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water a day will keep the body thin and hydrated mucous secretions. For the best results, you should drink orange juice a few times a day. Orange juice is very rich in vitamin C which improves the immune system as well as increases white blood cells production to combat infection and maintain viruses at bay. Instead of packaged versions, you should opt for the fresh juice of orange.
II – Natural Home Remedies For Flu – Herbal Remedies
One of the home remedies for flu is fenugreek due to its strong antiviral and many other medicinal properties. Here are detailed guides to use it for flu:
- Add fenugreek seeds (one tablespoon) to 1/2 quart of water. Then boil it till it is reduced to 1/3 of its original volume. Later strain this solution, and then add fresh ginger juice (one teaspoon) and honey (a few drops). You should drink this method once a day for 3-4 days.
- Another choice is to soak fenugreek seeds (one teaspoon) in one glass of water entire night. In the morning, you strain out these seeds and warm up this liquid. Gargle with this solution to help soothe a sore throat. It is suggested to follow this way once or twice every day for a few days.
2. Home Remedies For Flu Using Radish
If you are looking for natural home remedies for flu symptoms, you should not ignore the delightful crisp spicy radish. This vegetable contains antiseptic properties and has a great source of essential mineral and vitamins. Radish can act as a powerful decongestant. Radish is edible even if you are sensitive to spice. When you are stuffed up because of flu, you just need to eat 2 or 3 radishes twice per day until the symptoms of flu disappear completely. Radishes can provide many health benefits; therefore, even if you are not having the flu, you should add radish in your regular diet.
Goldenseal  is native to North America. It grows well in the damp mountainous regions. American people have used it as an insect repellant. Moreover, it can be added into a lotion to treat wounds or sore eyes. This herb contains antibacterial and astringent properties that can help to relieve mucous membranes. Isoqinoline alkaloids in goldenseal have antibacterial, astringent and anti-inflammatory properties that can help to alleviate the symptoms of flu. If you want to use goldenseal to treat flu, it is important for you to remember that isoginoline alkaloids can stimulate contractions and pregnant women should avoid taking goldenseal in any form.
I would like to let you know how to treat flu symptoms with goldenseal.
- 2 tablespoons of dried goldenseal
- 1 cup of fresh water
- Honey and lemon
- Put the dried goldenseal in a mug
- Pour the boiling water over it
- Cover and let it steep for 15 minutes
- Add lemon and honey to taste well
- Drink it slowly
For a satisfactory result, you should drink it two or three times daily for a few days.
4. Home Remedies For Flu Using Andrographis
Andrographis herb is one of effective home remedies for flu symptoms that I would like to introduce to you in this article. A study found out that andorgraphis may be beneficial in alleviating the symptoms of upper respiratory tract infection. A Russian study showed that andrographis leaf extract can reduce the severity and duration of flu symptoms.
Moreover, andrographis can stimulate the production of macrophages and antibodies in your body, boosting the immune system. Using andrographis can give you a significant relief for flu symptoms such as fever, sleeplessness, sore throat and nasal drainage.
When you suffer from flu, the recommended dose of andrographis herb is 400 mg a day. You should take it for 10 days. Many studies showed that andrographis herb is safe for human. However, it is important for you to know that taking andrographis may have unwanted side effects such as fatigue, headaches, nausea, allergic reactions, altered taste, diarrhea and pain in the lymph nodes. Because it can interact with certain other supplements and medications, you should consult your doctor carefully before taking this herb.
Studies on psychopharmacological activity of Andrographispaniculata extract.
5. Licorice Root
Licorice root contains many beneficial properties that can help to treat flu and cold symptoms. Therefore, licorice root is included in a list of home remedies for flu. Licorice root is well-known for demulcent that soothes a sore throat, an expectorant that expels respiratory mucus, antispasmodic that treats a cough, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Licorice root possesses a sweet taste. If you suffer from a sore throat caused by flu, you just need to drink six cups of tea containing licorice daily.
It is alright if you want to use licorice root as one of home remedies for flu. However, it is important for me to note that licorice root cannot be taken more than four weeks as it makes kidney retain sodium and water and results in potassium loss.
6. Home Remedies For Flu Using Peppermint
Peppermint is also one of the greatest home remedies for flu symptoms. Especially, it is packed with nutrients that help your body kill off the infection. It contains menthol that works as an expectorant, helping your body cough up the mucus and thereby relieving congestion, calming cough symptoms and soothing a sore throat. Here are easy methods you can follow at home:
- Add chopped peppermint leaves (one tablespoon) to hot water (one cup). Let it steep for about ten minutes, strain and next add a little honey to sweeten it. Now, drink this tea as it is still warm. You had better have about 3-4 cups every day for a quick recovery.
- Alternatively, you can add fresh peppermint leaves in soups or salads.
Looking for the home remedies for flu, you should not ignore mullein. Mullein, a biennial plant, grows in the United States. The expectorant properties of mullein can help to thin out and loosen up phlegm when you cough out. It is useful if the flu causes a lot of congestion, especially in the chest. It works more beneficially for relieving the uncomfortable symptoms of flu if you combine it with other expectorants like thymes.
You will need:
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of dried mullein ( you can also use 4 or 6 tablespoons of fresh mullein leaves or flowers)
- 2 ½ teaspoons of dried thyme
- 1 ½ cups of fresh water
- Honey and lemon
- Put the dried mullein and dried thyme in a mug
- Pour boiling water over the mullein
- Let it steep for 15 to 20 minutes
- Strain it
- Add a little honey and lemon juice to this solution to make it taste well
- Sip it slowly
It is recommended drinking this solution once or twice daily for a great result.
III – Natural Home Remedies For Flu – Additional Tips
1. A Classic Cure
The development of medical services makes many health diseases and problem treated with effective medications and drugs. However, for some health conditions, the old time home remedies are still the great choices. The classic cure for flu is the combination of three ingredients: lemon, garlic and honey. This classic cure can be made in more involved ways. However, in this article on natural home remedies for flu symptoms, I would like to introduce the simplest one. It can help to make you feel better and improve the symptoms of flu such as a dry cough and a sore throat.
You will need:
- 1 lemon
- 1 medium clove of garlic
- Warm water
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Crush the garlic clove and then put it in a glass
- Squeeze one lemon and pour that juice into the glass
- Add one teaspoon of honey into this mixture
- Fill the glass with lukewarm water
- Stir it thoroughly
- Drink it
For a satisfactory result, you should drink this solution two or three times daily until the symptoms of flu disappear completely.
2. Home Remedies For Flu – A Simple Syrup
It is not the kind of syrup made from sugar you buy in a local store. This is a medicinal healing syrup that is not only tasty but also effective in treating many health problems including flu and its symptoms. Having flu and its uncomfortable symptoms, children like taking the wonderful tasty syrup rather than a bitter tea. Homemade syrup is affordable, easy-to-make and beneficial in treating flu. Even when you have a sore throat and do not have appetite because of flu, the home-made syrup is easy to take. The healing syrup I would like to introduce to you in this article is made from licorice root, marshmallow root, ginger, and cinnamon. Marshmallow root contains a great source of mucilage that has soothing effects on the mucous membranes. Ginger and cinnamon are often added to a variety of flavor but they are also beneficial in treating congestion and relieving pain.
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon of marshmallow root
- 1 tablespoon of licorice root
- 1 tablespoon of chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of organic honey
- 4 cups of water
- Glass jar
- Combine the herbs, ginger, and cinnamon together
- Add this mixture to a saucepan filled with 4 cups of cold water
- Simmer the mixture over the low heat until the water is reduced by half
- Strain the liquid
- Add organic honey as the mixture cools down
- Let this syrup in a glass jar and tight it with a sealing lid carefully
- Keep this glass jar of healing syrup in a refrigerator
In order to treat flu symptoms and fasten the healing process, you should take one or two tablespoons of this syrup three times per day. This healing syrup can give you a significant relief for sore throat, coughing and congestion. The syrup can be kept in a refrigerator for three or four weeks without nutrient and benefit loss.
3. Inhaler For Flu
Germs causing flu infect a host through the airways. When you breathe in germs, they spread the cold, flu and illness quickly and as a result, making you miserable. Suffering from flu and illness, you may be coughing, congested, exhausted, achy and listless. The inhaler uses essential oils. When you breathe in the steam of these oils, it wipes out the germs and eases your discomfort. The inhaler for flu that I would like to introduce to you contains 5 essential oils that are beneficial in relieving the symptoms of flu. This inhaler uses:
- Eucalyptus: This essential oil is effective in opening up the sinuses and treating any congestion
- Black Spruce: This oil possesses the wonderful aroma that can help to open up the sinuses. Moreover, antispasmodic properties of black spruce oil can give you a significant relief from a cough.
- Tea Tree: This essential oil contains antimicrobial properties. When tea tree oil is inhaled, the inhaled airborne particles are beneficial in wiping out the germs leading to flu and sickness
- Lavender: Lavender oil contains soothing effects. The soothing aroma can help you sleep better at night and relieve your discomfort
- Lime: Lime essential oil can boost white blood cell production, improving your immune system.
Are you interested in this inhaler for flu? If yes, continue reading to know more.
- 1 blank inhaler
- 4 drops of black spruce oil
- 5 drops of eucalyptus oil
- 2 drops of lavender oil
- 5 drops of tea tree oil
- 1 drop of lime oil
This inhaler is also suitable for children aged over 5 years. For children, the ingredients should be: 1 drops of eucalyptus, 4 drops of tea tree oil, 2 drops of black spruce, 2 drops of lavender and 1 drops of lime oil. If lime oil is not available, you can use lime oil as an alternative.
- Drop 5 prepared oils onto a cotton
- Put this cotton inside an inhaler
- Hold the inhaler close to one nostril while using your fingers to plug the other nostril
- Take a deep breath
- Repeat it with another nostril
It is recommended using it every 4 hours to relieve the acutely uncomfortable flu and cold symptoms. The inhaler can be stored within 3 to 6 months. With a careful preservation, it can be up to one year. However, if it is uncapped or exposed to heat and direct light, these essential oils can lose their potency.
4. Home Remedies For Flu Using Heat
Using hot water bottle is beneficial in loosening phlegm and relieving congestion. The warming properties of heat can relax your muscles and soften the phlegm. Heat is one of home remedies for natural home remedies and using heat is simple and non-invasive. When you use heat to treat flu symptoms, you can rub the vapor made from coconut and peppermint essential oils on your chest to enhance the effectiveness and fasten the healing process.
You will need:
- A hot water bottle
- A piece of soft fabric
- Wrap the soft fabric around the hot water bottle
- Hold this bottle on your back between the shoulder blades
- Rest comfortably for a few minutes
Repeat this treatment several times a day when you feel the discomfort.
5. Sinus Bath Salt
Natural home remedies for flu is better than the illicit drug. Making a sinus bath salt with soothing properties is a good way to relieve tiredness, sickness, discomfort and alleviate congestion. The sinus bath salt is highly recommended using during the frigid winter months where you are more vulnerable to flu and colds. The bath has warming effects and aromatherapy properties that help to fight against the germs and viruses causing the flu.
If you are interested in the sinus bath salt, you should continue reading to know how to make a wonderful healing blend.
You will need:
- 3 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 1 cup of Epsom salt
- 3 drops of lavender essential oil
- 3 drops of peppermint essential oil
- A small dish
- An airtight container
- Put the salt in the container
- Blend all oils in a different dish
- Add the oil mixture to the container
- Mix the oils with salt thoroughly
- Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of this mixture to the bathtub filled with warm water
- Breathe deeply and try to relax comfortably.
6. Home Remedies For Flu – Sore Throat Gargle
Flu may result from a sore throat that gives you the pain and discomfort. In order to treat a sore throat, gargling your sore throat with a mixture of apple cider vinegar, sage and salt is highly recommended. The salt can help to reduce uncomfortable swelling in your throat by removing the fluid out of the throat tissues. The apple cider vinegar is effective in killing off the bug. Moreover, it also relieves the pain. Sage is one of home remedies for flu because it contains astringent properties that can help to get rid of the excess fluid from the throat tissues. Sage is also well-known for antibacterial effects.
- 4 tablespoon of dried sage leaves
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of fresh water
- A glass jar with tight lid
- Put dried sage leaves in a mug
- Pour one cup of boiling water over it
- Let it steep for 15 minutes
- Put one cup of apple cider vinegar in a jar
- Sprinkle salt over the apple cider vinegar
- Strain the sage tea and then add this tea to the mixture of apple cider vinegar and salt
- Stir it well
- Use it to gargle your mouth three times a day to get a significant relief for a sore throat and pain
This gargle can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 1 week without benefit loss. This recipe I mentioned above uses dried sage leaves. However, if the dried sage leaves are not available, you can use 8 tablespoons of fresh sage leaves instead.
7. Elderberry Syrup
Elderberry syrup is one of effective home remedies for flu and colds because it can relieve inflammation and remove the mucous membranes. Using elderberry can help you to breathe easily by getting rid of congestion. It boosts the immune system and fights against bugs causing the flu. Therefore, elderberry can fasten the recovering process. The mucilage constituent of elderberry can relieve a sore throat, cough, and pain caused by flu. Make sure that you use black elderberry only. Other kinds of elderberry can be toxic. The raw elderberry should not be eaten in any form. In order to treat flu symptoms effectively, you can make elderberry syrup.
You will need:
- ½ cup of dried elderberries
- 1 cup of honey
- 3 cups of water
- Mason jar
- Boil berries and water in a saucepan
- Simmer it for 50 minutes
- Strain the liquid
- Add honey to this liquid
- Stir it well
- Consume it
For flu prevention, adults can take one tablespoon per day while children can consume one teaspoon. Suffering from the flu and a cold, you can consume the elderberry syrup every three or four hours until the symptoms of flu disappear.
Elderberry syrup can be kept in a refrigerator for up to three months without nutrient and benefit loss.
Randomized study of the efficacy and safety of oral elderberry extract in the treatment of influenza A and B virus infections 
8. Home Remedies For Flu – Acupressure
Acupressure has been used to relieve discomfort caused by a variety of ailments. It is also one of home remedies for theflu that I would like to introduce to you. If the flu causes discomfort and sinus pressure, you should apply the acupressure to three main pressure points to alleviate the pressure and treat congestion. When your sinuses are stuck with mucous and get inflamed, not only the breath is obstructed but also the face is full of pain and pressure. By pressing the right pressure points, you can open up the blocked sinus cavities and nasal passages, reducing pressure and relieving congestion.
If you know the right pressure points (B2, LI20, St3), you can apply the acupressure at home. However, if you do not know, it is advisable for you to find a professional who has a great experience for help.
Acupressure for Nausea and Vomiting 
9. Vitamins And Minerals
What do you think about taking supplements? For years, it is believed that increasing vitamin C intake can help to protect your body from colds and flu. Vitamin C plays the important role in boosting the immune system. So do carotenes, vitamin A, selenium, and zinc.
Some studies found out that people who consume vitamin C regularly are less likely to suffer from colds and flu. Moreover, patients with flu reported that vitamin C consumption can help to reduce duration as well as the severity of flu symptoms. That proves the benefit of vitamin C in strengthening the respiratory defense mechanisms. It is recommended taking 200 to 500 milligrams of vitamin C per day when you are suffering from the flu. You can eat vitamin C rich foods such as guava, peppers, strawberries, citrus fruits, and leafy greens, etc.
Zinc is effective in treating colds and flu too. People with flu often buy the bags of zinc lozenges in a drug store or local grocery. Taking zinc lozenges may have a few side effects such as weird taste and nausea.
Including zinc in your diet may reduce the risk of getting colds and flu. Moreover, zinc can reduce the duration and severity of flu and colds.
Zinc is high in seafood, beef, lamb, wheat germ, spinach, squash seeds, sunflower, nuts, chocolate, pork, chicken, bean, and mushroom, etc.
10. Home Remedies For Flu Using Steam
Steam is also one of the most effective home remedies for flu. The flu may result in a stuffy nose. Steam is an amazing remedy that can be used to treat many health problems and it is worth being listed in numerous home remedies for flu. Steam can be used in a variety of ways. For example, you can breathe the steam from a mug of hot tea or take a shower. It is a great idea if you can add a few drops of essential oil to the water before relaxing in a bath. For the most beneficial results, what you need to do:
- The first step is to turn on one hot shower and then sit in this closed bathroom for a couple of minutes, inhaling this steam. You should do this process several times a day in order to ease congestion.
- Alternatively, pour boiled water into one large bowl. You may add eucalyptus oil or thyme oil (a few drops) to the water to enhance the healing effects. Then drape a towel over the head and breathe deeply for several minutes. You can do this method as needed to remove congestion.
In addition to eucalyptus oil and thyme oil, the beneficial essential oils for steam include peppermint and tea tree oil. Tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil are the excellent choices for you. Tea tree oil and eucalyptus possess strong smelling that can help to relieve congestion. Moreover, tea tree oil contains antiviral and antibacterial that can help to fight against viruses causing the flu.
11. Home Remedies For Flu – Chicken Soup
Surprisingly, chicken soup is a tested and tried remedy for flu and highly effective in controlling the various symptoms. Some studies have concluded that the chicken soup inhibits production of inflammatory compounds which are released in response to one viral infection. A hot bowl of this soup helps thin mucus and maintains the body hydrated. You had better have some homemade chicken soup two times every day for the first 3-4 days after symptoms appear. In order to boost its effects, you can add red pepper flakes or chopped garlic to this soup while preparing it.
Besides having the flu vaccine every year to protect yourself from viruses causing the flu, you should maintain good hygiene measures to prevent the flu attack and keep it from spreading to other people.
- Wash your hands before and after you eat regularly with soap and water
- Clean the surface of items such as your telephone, computer keyboard, and door handles because the germs existing on these items may transfer the flu viruses to your body
- Cover your mouth and noses with tissues when you sneeze or a cough to prevent the flu viruses from spreading
- Throw away the used tissues in a bin immediately
When you are infectious with the flu, it is important for you to avoid contact with other people. When you have the flu, you should take a few days off work or school until you get better.
If you are vulnerable to flu, an annual flu vaccine as well as antiviral medications that can help to reduce the risk of flu are recommended.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 31 natural home remedies for flu symptoms, hope you find your effective home remedy for treating flu soon and removing its symptoms quickly. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at-home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other home remedies for flu symptoms, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible. Also you can share the experience if you know any other natural flu remedies to us.