Sore throat is the irritation, itchiness or pain of the throat. It can be caused by fungal infections, bacterial, or viral; irritants such as smoking, pollution, dry air or acid reflux; some types of allergic reaction; or excessive shouting. In addition, sore throat is frequently accompanied by a stomach ache, a headache, swollen glands in neck, and the common cold.
If you are looking for effective & natural treatments that work to relieve your sore throat condition, then you should read this writing. In this article, AllRemedies.com reveals to you top 6 at home remedies for sore throat pain & other symptoms linked to sore throat. This writing listed the best solutions to alleviate sore throat condition from reliable sources. Nevertheless, it is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to discover these 6 at home sore throat remedies in more detail!
- 23 Natural Home Remedies For Strep Throat Pain Relief In Adults / 23 Home Remedies for Hoarseness in Voice
Top 39 Natural Home Remedies For Sore Throat Pain
Any spice that helps you improve the taste in daily diet also helps you treat sore throat pain.
Garlic is one of the most effective home remedies for sore throat. It has antiseptic and antibacterial properties together with other medicinal properties, which may help you in treating or preventing sore throats. To use garlic for reducing your sore throat condition fast, here are step by step directions:
- You consume a raw garlic clove per day in order to release a chemical named allicin, which can help you to kill the bacteria that can be causing your sore throat.
- Another way is using garlic oil. You can add some drops of the garlic oil into 1/4 cup of the cool water
- Then you gargle with this water 1 or 2 times per day. In addition, you should eat garlic in cooked and raw form. In case you don’t like its taste, take garlic pills.
2. Home Remedies For Sore Throat – Slippery Elm
Slippery elm is packed with mucilage, a substance like gel, which coats the throat, reduces irritation and eases soreness. To use slippery elm for easing your sore throat condition, you can follow some easy steps as below:
- You add 1 tsp inner bark of the slippery elm into 2 cups of the boiling water.
- Then you allow it to steep for some minutes
- Then you strain this solution.
- Finally, you can drink it slowly when it is still warm.
Particularly, you can apply this solution to treat any kind of laryngitis or respiratory illness. In case this herb is not available, buy it in capsule form at any drug store.
Fresh lemon helps you to remove mucus, so you may apply it to get the fast relief from your sore throat. Here are easy steps to use fresh lemon for treating sore throat:
- You extract the juice from a half of a lemon
- Then you add this juice with 1 tsp of honey into 1 cup of the warm water to make the hot lemonade solution
- Then you sip it slowly.
- Alternatively, you can dilute the freshly pressed lemon juice with the warm water (an equal amount)
- Then you can gargle with it
- Another way, you can take a half of a lemon
- Then you sprinkle salt & pepper over it
- Then you lick this lemon slowly
4. Home Remedies For Sore Throat – Apple Cider Vinegar
Another option to deal with a sore throat is using apple cider vinegar. This vinegar is very helpful for easing a sore throat pain thanks to its antibacterial properties. Here are easy steps to use apple cider vinegar for curing sore throat:
- You add 1 tbsp of the apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp of the lemon juice & 1 tsp of honey into a cup of the warm water
- Then you drink it slowly.
- You do this solution 2 to 3 times per day.
- For a few days, you will get the relief from the inflammation and pain
- Alternatively, you can make a gargle solution using apple cider vinegar.
- You mix 1 tsp of salt with 1 tbsp of the apple cider vinegar into 1 cup of the warm water.
- Then you gargle with this water several times per day.
One of the best and cheapest home remedies for sore throat is using cinnamon. Cinnamon will help you cure a sore throat that is caused by a common cold. Here are easy steps to use cinnamon for healing sore throat:
- You add 1 tsp of the cinnamon powder with 1 tsp of the black pepper powder into a glass of the warm water.
- Then you can add cardamom if you like.
- Then you strain this solution
- Next, you will gargle with this solution 2 to 3 times per day.
- Alternatively, you mix some drops of the cinnamon oil with 1 tsp of the pure honey.
- Then you eat this mixture 2 times per day to get the fast relief from your pain & inflammation linked to a sore throat.
6. Home Remedies For Sore Throat – Salt Water
- To make salt water for treating sore throat, you just need to mix 1/2 tsp of salt into a glass of the warm water. You can also add a little of honey into this water.
- Then you gargle with this solution 4 to 5 times per day for a few days to get the best results.
- You don’t swallow it.
- You just need to spit this water out after you gargle.
Honey is also considered as one of the best home remedies for sore throat. Honey contains antibacterial properties, which can speed up the healing process and fight the infection as well. Here are easy steps to use honey for curing sore throat:
- Add honey (one to two tablespoons) to hot water (one cup).
- It is recommended to consume it several times per day.
- Before going to bed, you should eat 1tsp of honey as it can give you soothing relief and then help you sleep easily.
One of the great home remedies for sore throat pain is using turmeric, which contains powerful anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.
- Mix turmeric powder (one-quarter teaspoon) into one glass of warm water. In the morning, you should consume it slowly on an empty stomach. It is suggested to do this once every day for about three or four days.
- Alternatively, you can add turmeric powder (one teaspoon) and ground black pepper (one teaspoon) to warm milk (a glass) and then drink it before bedtime.
- Another option is to gargle with the turmeric in order to soothe a bad throat. First step is to add turmeric powder (one-half teaspoon) and salt (one-half teaspoon) to a glass of warm water and then mix it well. You had better gargle with the mixture two times every day.
There are a lot of other healthy home remedies for sore throat presented in this article, so continue reading!
9. Home Remedies For Sore Throat – Marshmallow Root
Marshmallow root contains mucilage and thus it can also be applied to soothe a sore throat and coat the throat. Marshmallow root tea is effective for a sore throat along with a common cold and cough. This remedy is not suggested for nursing or pregnant women, diabetic patients. For optimal results, you can use it as follows.
- Add dried marshmallow root (one tablespoon) to boiling water (one cup) and next to steep it for about 30 minutes.
- Strain the solution and then add a little honey and drink it.
- You can consume about 3 cups of this herbal tea in one day.
The mucus-dissolving properties of fenugreek will give you quick relief from inflammation and pain. To use fenugreek for easing your sore throat condition, you can follow some easy steps as below:
- Add fenugreek seeds (two tablespoons) to 6 cups of water.
- Boil it for about 30 minutes. Leave this solution to come to room temperature.
- Then strain it.
- You had better gargle with this mixture about three or four times per day.
One of the excellent home remedies for sore throat is cayenne. Capsaicin in cayenne is a natural anti-inflammatory as well as pain reliever. You can follow some easy steps as below to use cayenne for sore throat relief:
- Use warm water (a glass) and add from some sprinkles to cayenne powder (1/2 teaspoon) to the water.
- Gargle with this water a few times a day, or as needed.
- You may also add sea salt (1/4 teaspoon).
12. Home Remedies For Sore Throat – Raspberry Tea
Herbal teas like raspberry tea, lemon tea and green tea are also effective and helpful in calming the throat. Here are easy steps to make raspberry tea for treating sore throat:
- Pour boiling water (1 cup) over 2 teaspoons of dried raspberry leaves.
- Let it steep for about 10 minutes.
- Then strain and sip.
- You can also add sugar for taste.
- This relieves the throat as well as also helps to cure the fever associated with it.
- You may also use this tea as a gargle.
13. Horseradish Cocktail
The horseradish cocktail also provides a great treatment for sore throat. To see the better results, what you need to do:
- Combine grated horseradish (one tablespoon) with 1 teaspoon of ground cloves and 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Then mix all ingredients in one glass of hot water and then sipped slowly.
14. Home Remedies For Sore Throat – Chicken Soup
Chicken soup is one of the most popular and easiest home remedies for sore throat. The mixture of chicken and vegetables yields minerals and vitamins essential for recovery. A tasteful chicken soup can help fuel the body with the nutrients you need. In addition, the sodium used in preparing chicken soup contains also anti-inflammatory properties in order to soothe the pain in the sore throat.
Sage is also one of the great home remedies for sore throat. Sage, botanically called as Salvia officinalis, contains antiseptic and antibacterial composition. In addition, it was a popular natural cure for bleeding, ulcers, and swelling. Here are easy steps to use sage for curing sore throat:
- Boil water (a cup), add either dried or fresh sage leaves.
- Allow it to simmer for at least 10 minutes before straining it.
- You may add lemon or honey for flavor.
- Inhale its aroma to clear congestion while letting your sage mixture cool down.
16. Home Remedies For Sore Throat – Steam
One of the oldest natural home remedies for sore throat is steam. A part from clearing the mucus, steam also eases the pain thanks to the swelling or inflammation of muscles in the throat. Here are easy steps to use steam for curing sore throat:
- Place the face above the bowl.
- Secure your head with one towel in order to contain the steam.
- Continue steaming for at least 10 minutes.
- You may add chamomile tea or eucalyptus oil onto the bowl.
17. Eat Food Rich In Vitamin C
Vitamin C has a natural antioxidant, which helps combat harmful free radicals that damage the cells in your body resulting to acquisition of illnesses. In addition, vitamin C also develops your body resistance from the infectious elements. Food rich in vitamin C are commonly vegetables and fruits including watermelon, mango, lemon, oranges, papaya, broccoli, pineapple, tomatoes and spinach. Meanwhile, foods high in antioxidants are blueberries, blackberries, apples, and kidney beans.
You should eat foods that are easily ingested when suffering from the painful throat. Banana is a wonderful choice as it is soft and naturally creamy. You can also choose to have a banana by mixing it into a smoothie.
18. Baking Soda
Using baking soda is also one of the excellent home remedies for sore throat pain. A part from the salt water gargle, there is also the baking soda gargle. Baking soda contains antibacterial features that help soothe the inflammation. Furthermore, it also helps ease the pain from sore throat. To prepare a baking soda gargle, what you need to do:
- Mix warm water (a cup) and baking soda.
- Stir until dissolved.
- Make sure that this water is not hot and just warm.
- Before gargling, you should let the mixture rest on your throat.
19. Home Remedies For Sore Throat – Ginger
Ginger is considered as one of the natural home remedies for sore throat. Ginger is loaded with minerals and vitamins such as vitamins A, B complex, C, and E. Ginger helps combat harmful free radicals that cause certain diseases due to its antioxidant. In addition, its anti-inflammatory properties and antibacterial boost your immune system. For the desirable results, you can use it as follows.
- Slice or crush ginger into small chunks.
- Then boil water with ginger slices or the crushed for about 3-4 minutes before you drink it with a little honey.
20. Tamarind Juice
This remedy is also a good cure for sore throat pain. To make tamarind juice for reducing your sore throat condition fast, here are step by step directions:
- Add tamarind paste (a tablespoon) into one cup of hot water.
- Next to add 2 teaspoons of honey in it. Stir well and then sip this like a tea. It will heal the sore throat and boost up your energy as well.
- The juice is proven to remove tiredness too.
- It is recommended to consume this juice three times a day.
21. Soy Sauce
To make soy sauce for treating sore throat, what you need to do:
- Squeeze the juice from half a lemon into one bowl.
- Then, add 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and mix it well.
- You had better take 1 tbsp of this about three times a day.
- It will bring instant relief to your throat.
22. Cinnamon Milk
This is another cure for sore throat. For positive effects, you should do as follows:
- Prepare hot milk (a cup).
- Add ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder and then add 2 tablespoons of honey and stir well.
- It is suggested to drink a cup of the solution three times a day. You had better take a cup before bedtime.
23. Home Remedies For Sore Throat – Licorice Root
Licorice is one of the other effective home remedies for sore throat. Especially, licorice helps cleanse the liver, soothe inflamed tissue, and remoisturize from the inside out. In addition, the natural chemicals present in the roots are said to help thin mucous secretion, reduce swelling, and relieve off cough. Here are detailed instructions to use licorice root for reducing sore throat:
- Boil one piece of the licorice root for about 3 minutes.
- Then allow it to steep till it has cooled enough to enjoy.
- Strain and then add honey to taste.
- Another option is to use two or a pinch of licorice powder in any tea you like – your regular tea or herbal tea. Licorice powder is readily available in health stores.
- The other choice is to add licorice root powder in warm water in order to gargle with.
Note: Licorice root is not recommended for breast feeding mothers or pregnant women and heart patients.
24. Ginger, Honey, And Lemon
Honey has mild antibacterial properties and also coats the throat. To use the combination of ginger, honey, and lemon for alleviating sore throat, here are step by step instructions:
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of honey and powdered ginger, the juice of 1⁄2 squeezed lemon and 1⁄2 cup of hot water.
- Pour this water over the ginger and then add the honey & lemon juice, and finally gargle.
25. Home Remedies For Sore Throat – Hot Sauce And Water
The capsicum presents in hot peppers fights inflammation and helps alleviate pain. For the best results, what you need to do:
- Add five a few shakes of hot sauce or shakes of ground cayenne pepper to one cup of hot water for curing sore throat relief.
- Try this gargle every 15 minutes.
26. Clove Tea
Clove Tea is also considered as one of the great home remedies for sore throat pain. Especially, cloves have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can help to heal and soothe a sore throat. For the most beneficial results, you add powdered or ground cloves (1 to 3 teaspoons) to water, next to mix and gargle.
27. Lemon Juice, Black Pepper Powder, And Salt
To use the combination of lemon juice, black pepper powder and salt for easing your sore throat condition, you can follow some easy steps as below:
- Take 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Add ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt
- Mix well
- Heat this mixture until it turns lukewarm
- You should consume this mixture once every day.
28. Black Pepper Powder, Salt, And Cinnamon Powder
To use the combination of black pepper powder, salt and cinnamon powder for dealing with your sore throat condition, you can follow some easy steps as below:
- Take one glass of hot water
- Add ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder
- Then add 1 teaspoon of salt
- Add ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Let it to rest until it turns lukewarm
- Gargle with the mixture two times a day.
29. Home Remedies For Sore Throat – Horehound
This herb help decrease the swelling of the throat tissues. It is used as one of the traditional home remedies for sore throat pain. To use it for treating sore throat, you can do as follows:
- Take the herb (a few teaspoons) and boil it in about 1 or 2 cups of water for at least 10 minutes
- Strain and then drink.
30. Black Peppercorn
Using black peppercorn is one of the most effective and quickest home remedies for sore throat. To use black peppercorn for reducing your sore throat condition fast, here are step by step directions:
- Take black peppercorn seeds (half a teaspoon) and then pulverize them into powder.
- Mix the powder with hot milk.
- Early in the morning, drink it before breakfast or any other food in the stomach.
- This remedy can be practiced for several days in order to get relief from sore throat.
- Another option is to mix the peppercorn powder in warm water and early in the morning, gargle it
Keep reading this writing to discover other home remedies for sore throat.
31. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a great and effective solution for killing bacteria. For treating sore throat, you need to place a cupful of 3% hydrogen peroxide into one cup of warm water and gargle it (don’t swallow). You can add a little honey to this mixture for taste. It is suggested to follow several times per day in order to kill illness-causing bacteria.
32. Pineapple-Cayenne Gargle
The combination of cayenne and pineapple juice is known to soothe a sore throat. To make a pineapple-cayenne gargle, you can do as follows:
- Mix up to cayenne (1/8 teaspoon) with cold pineapple juice (1/2 cup).
- Gargle for about 30 seconds and then spit out. If needed, you may follow with water.
33. Honeysuckle Flower
The traditional Chinese medicine suggests honeysuckle flower tea for treating sore throat. Honeysuckle flower mainly works by reducing inflammation. You will need the flowers of honeysuckle for making this tea. You just use its flowers, not use leaves. For optimal results, what you need to do:
- Take water (one liter) and boil it.
- Add honeysuckle flowers (a cup full).
- Cover the pan and then steep for at least 10 minutes.
- Strain and have it.
- It is recommended to consume the honeysuckle tea about four times a day to cure sore throat.
34. Basil, Ginger, Peppercorn Tea
Using fresh Basil leaves along with peppercorns and ginger is a great remedy to treat sore throat. To make this herbal tea for sore throat, what you need are:
- 2 cups of water.
- 4-5 Basil leaves
- Fresh ginger root- about 1 inch piece
- 4-5 peppercorns
Instructions for making herbal tea:
- Boil the water in one pan
- Crush basil leaves, peppercorns and ginger root using pestle and mortar.
- Put this crushed ingredients into boiling water.
- Let them boil all together for the time until the water decreases to 1/2 of its quantity.
- Strain the water in one cup and then drink it right away.
- It is suggested to consume this tea for about three to four times per day to treat your sore throat.
35. Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon, Cayenne, And Honey Tea
This is also the traditional way of curing sore throat. For the best results, what you need to do:
- Apple cider vinegar (1 teaspoon)
- Cayenne pepper (a pinch).
- Lime juice extracted from one-fourth of a lemon
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 cup of hot water
- Add all the above ingredients into the hot water.
- Stir it properly in order to nix them all.
- It is suggested to consume it three to four times per day.
36. Herbal Sore Throat Tea Ingredients
This is also the effective way of curing sore throat. For the best results, what you need to do:
- 1 part sage leaf
- ½ part slippery elm or licorice root
- ¼ part cinnamon chips
- ¼ part ginger root
- Combine all above herbs in one bowl and then store in one sealed container when not in use.
- To make a medicinal infusion – Pour boiling water over about 4-6 tablespoons of herbal tea in one glass quart jar and then filling the jar to the top. (Use 1 tablespoon of herb mix for one cup of tea.)
- Leave to steep covered for about 30-45 minutes.
- Strain herbs and enjoy.
37. Home Remedies For Sore Throat – Pomegranate
Pomegranate is also considered as one of the useful home remedies for sore throat pain. This ingredient can help you get rid of infection, fight oxidants as well as reduce pain caused by sore throat. To use pomegranate for removing your sore throat condition, you can follow some easy steps as below:
- You need water (a cup), a pomegranate.
- Afterwards, you peel the pomegranate and choose its rinds.
- Boil the rinds for about 10-15 minutes. You can add a cup of water or more water if necessary.
- Then you drink this tea or gargle for about 30 seconds.
- It is recommended following this remedy every day in order to obtain the best result.
38. Chamomile Tea
As you know, tea is very good for your health and even some kinds of tea such as ginger tea or chamomile tea can help you decrease sore throat symptoms effectively and quickly. Chamomile tea contains anti-spasmodic agent that can bring you a rest. Here are easy steps to use chamomile tea for curing sore throat:
- You need one chamomile bag, one mug, and boiling water (a cup).
- Boil the water and next to pour into the mug and then add the tea bad.
- Cover it for about 10-15 minutes before drinking it.
- You can add some honey or lemon juice if you like.
39. Red Sage Tea
Red sage tea is also one of the effective home remedies for sore throat. For the most beneficial results, what you need to do:
- Add some dried red sage in boiling water.
- Then add some vinegar into it.
- Strain this mixture when it is cooled.
- Dink it at regular intervals.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 39 natural at home remedies for sore throat pain, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of your sore throat condition quickly and easily. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other at home remedies for sore throat, please leave them below.