Toothaches can be caused by an infection, cavities, a cracked tooth, a loose filling, jaw joint disorder, an exposed tooth root or gum disease. If you are suffering from a toothache, you need to seek the instant advice from your dentist before your problem worsens. In addition, you can try a few natural homemade remedies in order to reduce your pain temporarily. In this article, AllRemedies.com reveals to you top 27 natural at home remedies for toothache pain relief fast and safely without any side effect. This writing listed the best treatments to get rid of pain and other symptoms associated with toothache from reliable sources. Nevertheless, it is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to discover these 27 at home toothache remedies in more detail!
- 26 Natural Home Remedies for Tooth Infection Pain / 20 Natural Home Remedies for Sensitive Teeth Pain
Using asafetida is very good for treating dental problems including toothaches & bleeding gums. To use this herb for relieving a toothache, you can follow the following steps:
- You add 1/2 tsp or a pinch of the powdered asafetida into 2 tsp of the lemon juice
- Then you warm it slightly.
- Then you use some cotton pads in order to apply this solution onto your affected area.
- Following this solution will help you get the quick relief from your pain.
- Another option is frying asafetida in the clarified butter
- Then you put it onto your affected tooth to get the instant relief.
2. Home Remedies For Toothache Pain With Warm Salt Water
Another way to treat a toothache is using a glass of the warm salt water. Warm salt water helps you rinse your mouth effectively & also helps you kill the bacteria causing toothache. Here are step by step instructions you can follow at home:
- You add 1/2 spoon of the common salt into a glass of the hot water
- Then you use it for rinsing your mouth thoroughly.
- Following this solution 2 to 3 times per day will help you in reducing swelling & inflammation, as well as fighting the bacteria, which cause infection.
3. Pepper & Salt
Another among home remedies for toothache is to mix pepper with salt. Pepper and salt have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and analgesic properties, so the mixture of these two ingredients will be great to apply when your tooth becomes particularly sensitive. Here are step by step instructions to use pepper and salt for easing toothache pain:
- You mix an equal amount of the pepper & common salt together with some drops of the cool water in order to make a paste.
- Then you apply this paste directly to your affected tooth
- Then you let it sit on for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- You do this solution daily for a few weeks.
One of the best home remedies for toothache is taking advantages of garlic uses. This herb can provide the fast relief from a toothache. Besides, it has antibiotic & other medicinal properties, which are very efficient in relieving the pain. Here are step by step instructions to use garlic for alleviating toothache pain:
- You mix about a little of the garlic powder or 1 crushed garlic clove and a little amount of black salt or table salt
- Then you apply this mixture directly onto your affected tooth in order to ease the pain.
- In addition, you may chew 1 or 2 cloves of the garlic for getting the fast relief.
- You should repeat this solution for some days.
5. Home Remedies For Toothache Pain – Cloves
Clove has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anesthetic, and antioxidant properties, which can help you to reduce the tooth pain as well as fight infection. To use cloves for relieving toothache pain, here are step by step directions you can follow at home:
- You grind about 2 whole cloves.
- Then you mix it with a little of the olive oil or other vegetable oils
- Then you apply this mixture onto your affected tooth.
- Alternatively, you can dab some cotton balls into the clove oil
- Then you directly rub these cotton balls onto your sore teeth.
- Another option is mixing some drops of the clove oil into 1/2 glass of the cool water
- Then you use this water as a natural homemade mouth rinse.
Onion has antimicrobial and antiseptic properties, which help you in controlling a toothache. In addition, it may provide the fast relief from a pain just by killing the germs that cause an infection. To apply onion for relieving toothache pain, you can follow the following directions:
- When seeing first signs of having a toothache, you can chew the raw onion for some minutes in order to reduce the pain.
- In case you cannot chew the raw onion, you can place a slice of raw onion onto your bad gum or tooth directly.
7. Home Remedies For Toothache Pain – Guava Leaves
One of other effective home remedies for toothache is applying fresh guava leaves. This herb will help you in easing your toothache, due to its antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory & analgesic properties. To apply fresh guava leaves for treating a toothache, you can follow the following directions:
- You chew 1 or 2 tender guava leaves till the juice begins working onto your affected tooth.
- In addition, you can use the raw spinach leaves with the same way.
8. Vanilla Extract
Vanilla extract is also considered as one of the popular home remedies for toothache as it will help numb the pain. In addition, the vanilla contains a calming effect. Here are step by step instructions to use vanilla extract for treating toothache pain:
- Dip one cotton swab in the vanilla extract and then dab it on your affected area.
- It is recommended to repeat this remedy a few times per day until you get instant relief.
9. Wheatgrass Juice
The natural antibiotic properties present in wheat grass do not just bring instant relief from toothache, but it also boosts your teeth and gums in order to combat more effectively against bacterial infections. Wheatgrass also contains natural antibacterial properties that can help relieve toothache and fight tooth decay as well. To use it for treating toothache, you should chew directly wheat grass with your affected tooth.
10. Home Remedies For Toothache Pain With Ice Cubes
Using ice cubes is also one of the popular and simple home remedies for toothache. Here are step by step instructions to use ice cubes for alleviating toothache pain:
- Use a thin cotton cloth to wrap a small ice cube. Then hold it on the cheek near your aching tooth for several minutes.
- An acupressure technique which can remove tooth pain is to apply an ice cube between the index finger and thumb for some minutes.
11. Ginger – Cayenne Paste
Cayenne has capsaicin that can help reduce pain messages from reaching your brain. For the most beneficial results, what you need to do:
- Mix equal parts of ginger and cayenne with enough water in order to form a paste.
- Roll one small ball of cotton into this paste to saturate it.
- Then place it on the tooth while avoiding your tongue and gums.
- Allow it until your pain fades.
If you want to discover other home remedies for toothache pain, keep reading this writing!
12. Peppermint Tea
Peppermint tea contains some numbing power and a nice flavor. Therefore, it is also considered as one of the excellent home remedies for toothache. For optimal results, you can use it as follows.
- Put dried peppermint leaves (1 teaspoon) in boiling water (1 cup) and steep for about 20 minutes.
- After this tea cool, you swish it around in the mouth, next to swallow or spit it out.
13. Home Remedies For Toothache Pain With Myrrh
Using myrrh is also considered as one of many other home remedies for toothache. Especially, it has the astringent effects which can help to inflammation and kills the bacteria in order to prevent the pain and toothache as well. To use myrrh for relieving a toothache, you can follow the following steps:
- Simmer powdered myrrh (1 teaspoon) in water (2 cups) for half an hour.
- Strain and let it to cool down.
- Rinse with the solution (1 teaspoon) in water (a half-cup) about five to six times per day.
Read also: 27 Natural at Home Remedies for Gingivitis
Bayberry root bark is a natural antibiotic. It also contains high amounts of flavonoids and tannins. This herb also contains fine astringent properties thanks to presence of tannins in it. Therefore, all the properties of bayberry bark are very effective in treating many medical conditions including toothache.
Ways to use bayberry for Toothache:
- Create a paste with bayberry bark. You can add a little water if needed. Then mix the paste with some vinegar. Finally, you apply this paste on the tooth for relief from pain.
- Another option is to just use easily available tincture of bayberry root bark. Then mix it with a little vinegar and apply to your aching teeth.
15. Peppermint Leaves
One of the great home remedies for toothache is peppermint leaves. Peppermint contains anti inflammatory properties which helps to reduce soreness and swelling in the troubled area and prevents your toothache naturally. Here are step by step instructions to use peppermint leaves for easing toothache pain:
- Take one fresh leaf of peppermint and next to chew it for a while.
- Alternatively, you can also place the dried leaves on the painful area.
- Another option is to make peppermint tea by taking dried peppermint leaves (1 teaspoon) into boiling water (a cup), steep for about 20 minutes.
- Allow the tea to cool down and then swish it around in the mouth and split it out.
- You had better repeat this process regularly.
16. Home Remedies For Toothache Pain – Black Pepper
Black pepper contains the component piperine that is a chemical similar to capsaicin found in hot peppers. Therefore, black pepper also helps decrease pain by triggering transient receptors in your body which respond to eliminate pain. For best results, you can use it as follow.
- Prepare equal amounts of salt, water and black pepper powder.
- Mix salt and black pepper.
- Add a little water in order to create a paste.
- Apply the paste to your gums and tooth.
- Leave for several minutes before washing mouth.
- It is suggested to repeat several times per day.
17. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has a strong antiseptic and anti-inflammatory property that not only kills the bacteria that have penetrated deep inside the roots of your decayed tooth but also combats tooth infection and swelling.
Ways to use tea tree oil for treating toothache:
- Pour the tea tree oil (a few drops) on one cotton swab and then apply this to the tooth.
- If too strong, you can dilute it with a little olive oil and afterwards apply.
- Another choice is to add the oil (a few drops) to some water and then wash your mouth with this. Before you wash your mouth with this preparation, you should remember to brush your teeth.
Plantain contains excellent detoxifying properties. Especially, when applied to wounds, it helps pull out dirt, pus, and even slivers, shards of glass, etc. In addition, it also is one of the great home remedies for toothache pain. How to use plantain leaf for toothache:
- Chew up a fresh leaf of plantain.
- However, you can’t even chew and if your pain is unbearable, use pestle and mortar or some similar equipment to crush the leaf.
- Apply the crushed or chewed leaf paste to the affected tooth and surrounding areas.
- Hold it there for some times, for about 30 minutes or so. This will help relieve the tooth pain and draw out infectious materials as well.
19. Home Remedies For Toothache Pain – Neem
Using neem is one of the oldest home remedies for toothache pain. The numerous pain-relieving compounds of neem bark and leaves help decrease discomfort and pain of a toothache. Anti-inflammatory and vasodilation properties of neem also help decrease the pressure on nerves leading to toothache. In addition, neem also combats any bacterial infection due to its strong anti-bacterial properties. This cures and prevents tooth decay, one of the main causes of toothache. Furthermore, it also prevents cell adhesion that helps control plaque. Thanks to all these properties, it has become popular in the world as a herbal ingredient used widely in products of dental care such as mouthwash, toothpaste, etc.
How to use neem for curing toothache:
- Chew some tender leaves of neem in order to get rid of toothache. The leaves are very bitter but tender leaves are not so bitter. But if you can’t chew them, you can do as follows.
- Crush the leaves of neem to get its paste. Next to, add this to the regular toothpaste and then apply this on the tooth. You should do this for some minutes before rinsing off.
- Boil a handful leaves of neem in water (a glass) for at least 10 minutes. Allow it to cool down until it becomes tolerably warm. Afterwards strain it and use it as a mouthwash.
- Rub neem oil to the affected gums and tooth.
20. Homemade Essential Oils For Toothpaste
You can make mouthwash with various kinds of oils by mixing some drops with some water or apply them on your affected tooth, diluted or undiluted with a little olive or other oils. Here is the recipe for you. How to make essential oils toothpaste for toothache at home?
- Baking soda – 6 teaspoons
- Salt – 1/3 teaspoon
- Glycerin – 4 teaspoons
- Peppermint oil – 10 drops
- Lemon oil – 3 drops
- Tea tree oil – two drops
- Birch oil – 3 drops
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Then apply them on your gum and teeth.
- Brush with this mixture every day for about 5-10 minutes. Two times if possible and required.
- You may store the rest of the mixture in one small glass bottle and apply it later on.
21. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide contains the antibacterial tendency in order to get rid of pain from your tooth. In addition, it also has other properties which are effective for taking care of your toothaches. It can be used in the form of mouth wash. You can follow the instructions below to make your own mouthwash:
- Take sterilized water (a cup).
- Add hydrogen peroxide (2 tablespoon).
- Place this mixture in one bottle.
- Shake it enough in order to mix the ingredients of the mouthwash.
- Afterwards, rinse the mouth after every your meal, before and after waking up.
- If you want to decrease toothache fast, you should repeat the process.
22. Vinegar And Brown Paper
The combination of vinegar and brown paper is also one of the oldest home remedies for toothache. Here are step by step instructions to use them for alleviating toothache pain:
- Take coarse, brown paper and then rough ones gives better feel.
- Dip them in water containing vinegar in good amount.
- Allow it to be there for hours and make that the brown paper sheets are not torn.
- Strain water and rub these magic sheets of brown paper on your area affected with pain.
- Do not to apply it directly on your tooth which aches.
- Allow it rest there for about 5 minutes or so.
- Remove and repeat it three times in a day for quickly recovery.
23. Bourbon-Soaked Cotton Ball
Using bourbon is very good for treating toothache. You will get a surprising relief within few minutes if you follow below basic steps instead of drinking it.
- Take bourbon whiskey on one bowl and then directly drop a suitable amount on one piece of cotton.
- Place it on your affected tooth.
- Let it sit there for about two or three minutes.
- Remove it and repeat every day for best and instant results.
24. Home Remedies For Toothache Pain – Alcohol
Using alcohol is also one of the popular home remedies for toothache. To apply alcohol for relieving toothache pain, you can follow the following directions:
- Take alcohol in one piece of cotton.
- Put it on your tooth which aches.
- Remove it after about 4 minutes.
- It is recommended to repeat the process three times in per day until toothache is actually gone.
25. Oil Of Oregano
Oil of oregano has significant effect on any type of pain. Especially, it is rich in antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. For optimal results, you can use it as follows:
- Take oregano oil (a few drops).
- Mix it in a glass of water.
- Gaggle the mixture.
- Repeat it two times in a day.
Cucumber can give soothing effect. To see the better results, you can try this convenient and easy remedy to curtail toothache.
- Take cucumber and next to slice it.
- Pick sprinkle some salt, one slice of cucumber over it.
- Place it on your tooth which aches.
- You can repeat this remedy many times a day.
27. Coconut Oil And Cloves
The combination of coconut oil and cloves is also one of the effective home remedies for toothache. For the positive effects, you should do as follows:
- Heat 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Fry three cloves in it
- Let it to cool down
- Grind these cloves in the oil in order to make paste
- Apply this mixture on your aching tooth
- Leave for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the mixture off with plain water
If you want to know more about natural, at-home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 27 natural at-home remedies for toothache pain relief, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of a toothache quickly and easily. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other natural at home remedies for toothache pain, please leave them below.