UTI infections or urinary tract infections are a common health problem. Both men & women can get UTI infections, but women likely have a tendency to them. Some common causes of UTI include menopause, diabetes, pregnancy, delaying too long to urinate, and sexual intercourse. This condition can be cured and prevented by many natural home remedies instead of the conventional treatment.
If you are suffering from some of common symptoms of UTI infections such as fever, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, change in urine color, the burning sensation when urinating, passing small urine quantities, and a frequent urge for urinating, then you should read this writing. In this article, AllRemedies.com reveals to you top 30 home remedies for uti infections in both women & men. This writing listed the best solutions to treat as well as prevent UTI from reliable sources. Nevertheless, it is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to discover these 30 at home UTI remedies in more detail!
Top 30 Home Remedies For UTI Infections In Women & Men
1. Home Remedies For UTI – Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil not only gives you comfort when you suffer from UTI but also is one of the many effective remedies for sore throat.
People with UTI should try applying tea tree oil as it has antibacterial properties, which can help them in fighting the bacteria causing bladder infections like urinary tract infections. Here are easy ways to use tea tree oil for treating urinary tract infections:
- You mix about 10 drops of the tea tree oil into your bath water
- Then you apply this water in order to wash your urethra opening.
- Or, you may mix the tea tree oil with an equal amount of sandalwood oil and juniper oil
- Then you rub this mixture onto your abdominal region & onto the area near your bladder.
- This mixture is very effective for relieving the pain linked to urinary tract infections.
- You should do this solution once per day for 3 to 4 days.
- Another easy way to cure urinary tract infections is soaking in the warm bath water that is mixed with 2 tsp of the plain yogurt & 6 drops of the tea tree oil.
- Then you should follow this way daily for about 10 minutes for around 10 days.
2. Home Remedies For UTI – Blueberries
One of the easiest home remedies for UTI infections is using blueberries. This fruit has bacteria-inhibiting properties, which will help you in treating urinary tract infections. In addition, antioxidants found in this fruit are very good for your immune system. These antioxidants also help you in preventing the growth of bacteria causing urinary tract infections. Here are easy ways to apply blueberries for the treatment of UTI:
- You add a few fresh blueberries into your favorite cereal
- Then you can have it for your breakfast.
- In addition, you can do the fresh blueberry juice
- Then you have it 2 times per day in the morning & at night for the fast results.
- Pay attention: you should not add to this juice any artificial sweetener.
Including the fresh blueberry juice or fresh blueberries in the daily diet is very good for preventing urinary tract infections.
3. Home Remedies For UTI – Apple Cider Vinegar
This vinegar is very rich in potassium, enzymes & other useful minerals. Apple cider vinegar can help you in preventing the bacteria, which cause urinary tract infections from growing or multiplying. People with UTI infections can apply apple cider vinegar like a natural antibiotic in order to cure the infection. Here are detailed directions to utilize the apple cider vinegar for healing UTI:
- You add to a glass of the cool water with 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
- In addition, you can add to this water with the lemon juice & sweeten with honey.
- Then you mix them well.
- You drink this solution 2 times per day for some days.
4. Home Remedies For UTI – Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
One of other home remedies for UTI infections is using Indian gooseberry. This herb is very rich in vitamin C that in turn can inhibit the development of bacteria. To utilize Indian gooseberry for treating urinary tract infections, you can follow the following steps:
- You take 1 cup of water.
- Then you add 1 tsp of the Indian gooseberry powder with 1 tsp of turmeric powder into this water.
- Then you boil this water till 1/2 water evaporates.
- You can drink this solution 3 times per day for 3 to 5 days.
- In addition, you can eat more fruits such as bananas, guava, lemons, oranges, kiwi, melon, tomatoes, papaya, and raspberries that are rich in vitamin C.
5. Home Remedies For UTI – Cranberry Juice
Proanthocyanidins in cranberries can help you in preventing the bacteria from getting in touch with the walls of urethra causing UTI. In addition, the cranberry juice has a mild antibiotic affect, so it is very useful for preventing urinary tract infections from coming back again. To utilize the cranberry juice for preventing UTI infections, you can follow the following steps:
- Drink 1/2 glass of the unsweetened cranberry juice per day for preventing UTI infections.
- Drink about 3 to 4 glasses of the unsweetened cranberry juice per day for preventing the infection from causing the damage to kidneys.
Pay attention: people with kidney stones should not use this solution.
6. Home Remedies For UTI – Baking Soda
Baking soda is also one of the best home remedies for UTI. Especially, it contains alkaline properties that can help in neutralizing the acids content present in the urine thereby burning sensations felt while urinating during the UTI and reducing the pain as well. For optimal results, you only need to add baking soda (1 teaspoon) in one glass of water. It is recommended to consume it about once or twice per day.
7. Home Remedies For UTI – Pineapple
Pineapple has an enzyme called Bromelain, which contains anti-inflammatory agents that may decrease UTI symptoms. Here are easy ways to use pineapple for treating UTI:
- Having pineapple (a cup) on a regular basis may help prevent UTIs.
- Another option is to extract juice from half a pineapple and then drink it.
- You should use fresh pineapple as the canned version can contain preservatives.
There are a lot of other healthy home remedies for UTI presented in this article, so continue reading!
8. Home Remedies For UTI – Uva Ursi
Uva ursi is another herb containing a number of substances that may help fight infections, including UTIs. This herb has some chemicals with antiseptic properties. This herb is readily available at drugstores in the supplement forms. When you take this supplement, the antiseptic quality present in this herb gently stimulates urination and kills the bacteria as well.
Note: People with liver or kidney disease, children and nursing or pregnant women should not take uva ursi.
9. Home Remedies For UTI – Hot Water Compresses
Using hot water compresses regularly will give you relief from pain caused by the infection and help minimize bladder pressure. In addition, a hot compress also will help prevent growth of the bacteria that causes the infection and reduce the inflammation. For the most beneficial results, what you need to do:
- First step is to put a little hot water in one flexible water bottle. Then place this hot water bottle on the lower abdomen for several minutes.
- Alternatively, you can also place one heating pad on your lower abdominal area in order to get relief from the pain.
10. Home Remedies For UTI – Water
As you know, drink plenty of water is very good for our health. It is recommended to drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water every day. Drinking more water will make you urinate more often, which is necessary for preventing and treating this kind of infection. Along with water, you can drink vegetable and fruit juices to bring your body with essential minerals and for fighting off the infection.
11. Home Remedies For UTI – Yogurt
Yogurt may be considered as one of the most common home remedies UTI. Yogurt contains active and live cultures of healthy bacteria that will help combat the infection causing bacteria and even eliminate them. You must have 2-3 bowls of yogurt daily if you are suffering frequently from UTI. Alternatively, you can apply yogurt around and in your vagina to cure the infection directly. Firstly, you scoop yogurt from one bowl and then insert 5-7ml of it deep inside the vagina. This process must be done at least three times for about 3 days to remove the infection completely. You should remember to use only plain yogurt (not flavored yogurt) for curing the infection.
12. Home Remedies For UTI – Garlic
Garlic contains antibacterial and antifungal properties that fight off the infectious bacteria. Here are easy ways to use garlic for dealing with UTI:
- To prepare garlic pessaries, you need to take three garlic cloves.
- Peel them and next to tightly wrap them in medicated gauze.
- Keep this gauze longer from one end. Then insert the garlic inside your vagina.
- Maintain the long end of the gauze hanging from your vagina.
- Leave this garlic in your vagina for about 2-3 hours. Remove the garlic and throw away the pessary.
- Wash the vagina with plain water. Dry your vagina completely using a hand dryer. It is necessary to keep your vagina dry at all times as the bacteria will find it easier to multiply under wet conditions.
- Re-insert three fresh garlic cloves the same way as earlier.
- Follow the treatment about three times throughout the day. Allow five garlic cloves inside your vagina during bed time. In the morning, remove the garlic pessary first. This remedy should be done for about 4-5 days in order to ensure complete removal of the bacteria.
13. Home Remedies For UTI – Citrus Fruits
Citrus fruits such as lemon and orange are high sources of vitamin C. The vitamin is very necessary for maintaining your bladder healthy because it helps eliminate the infection causing bacteria from the system. You can also take fresh lime juice or orange juice for quicker treatment of the infection. Do not add honey or sugar to the juices. Alternatively, you can take vitamin C supplements to cure the infection. 5000mg of vitamin C is the suggested daily dosage for patients who frequently suffer from urinary tract infection.
14. Home Remedies For UTI – Marshmallow
Using marshmallow may help sooth your urinary system. Especially, this root is safe for everyone including pregnant women as well as babies. In addition, this herb has emollient, demulcent, and diuretic properties. It not only helps in alleviating the irritated and inflamed tissues of the bladder but is also helps in nourishing these tissues. Plus, it also works by improving the acidity of the urine thereby inhibiting bacterial growth. Marshmallow root can cure bladder and kidney inflammations and kidney stones as well. For the most beneficial results, what you need are:
- Marsmallow root
- Lukewarm water
- A jar with lid
- Place the marshmallow root to fill ¼ of jar.
- Then add the lukewarm water in order to fill the whole jar.
- Cover with lid and allow it entire night.
- Strain the thick in the morning and somewhat brownish water and viscous golden yellow.
- Consume the tea throughout the day to reduce your bladder.
15. Home Remedies For UTI – Coriander Powder
One of the popular home remedies for UTI (urinary tract infections) infections is using coriander powder. It has a very good anti-inflammatory as well as digestive beverage that can help eliminate the burning sensation while urinating. Here are easy ways to use coriander powder for the treatment of UTI:
You will need:
- 3 tablespoons of coriander seeds powder
- 1 tablespoon of rock candy powder (or unrefined sugar)
- 3 cups of water
- Earthen pot
- Take water (3 cups) in the vessel.
- Add rock candy powder and coriander.
- Mix well.
- Leave it to soak entire night.
- The following day, again stir this solution in order to mix it well if this powder settles down.
- It is suggested to consume one cup each for about three times per day.
16. Home Remedies For UTI – Cinnamon
Using cinnamon is also considered as one of the magic home remedies for UTI infections in both women & men. Here are easy ways to apply cinnamon for the treatment of UTI:
You will need:
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 cup of warm water
- Take warm water in one cup.
- Add cinnamon powder to warm water and then mix well.
- Drink it.
- It is recommended to drink this tea about once a day. However, if your infection has already set in, you should have 3-4 cups of it every day.
17. Home Remedies For UTI – Horsetail And Dandelion Tea
Horsetail has a compound of tannin which helps tighten the inflamed epithelial tissues. Moreover, horsetail also helps to clear the bacteria and toxins from the urinary tract by causing the production of urine. Similarly, dandelion works as a diuretic and keep the proper functioning of bladder and kidney. The combination of horsetail and dandelion tea would act like charm to reduce UTI symptoms. Here’s the recipe for preparing horsetail and dandelion tea.
- Take 1 tablespoon of dried horsetail and 1 teaspoon of dandelion in a mug.
- Pour in hot water into the mug and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Then strain the liquid and drink it.
- Sip the tea daily twice a day to get fast relief from the UTI symptoms.
18. Peppermint, Ginger, And Juniper Berry Tea
The combination of ginger and peppermint helps to decrease the acidity of the urine which further lessens the burning sensation caused due to urinary tract infections. Being a diuretic, juniper berry will help induce the bladder and kidney in order to produce more urine and ultimately decrease the UTI infection. Here are easy ways to use these herbs for making an herbal tea effective against UTI:
- In a pot, mix grated ginger (2 tablespoons), 1/3 cup of fresh mint leaves, dried juniper berry (2 teaspoons) with water (4 cups).
- Heat this mixture in low flame for about 7 minutes.
- Then strain it and mix honey (a tablespoon) for taste.
- It is suggested to drink this herbal tea about 2 to 3 times daily for an immediate effect.
19. Spinach Leaves And Carrots
The combination of spinach leaves and carrots is also one of the effective home remedies for UTI infections in both women & men. For the most beneficial results, what you need to do:
- Chop a handful leaves of spinach
- Take one bowl of sliced carrots
- Add both to about ½ liter of water
- Boil for about 15-20 minutes.
- Strain the water and then crush the vegetables
- After that extract juice of vegetables in order to make soup
- Add pepper and salt to taste
- Drink the soup two times a day
20. Home Remedies For UTI – Horseradish Root
Horseradish contains vital antibiotic agents suitable for cure of UTI. For the best result, you can prepare a decoction by boiling fresh or dried roots of horseradish (1 gram) in 80ml of water. Then take internally up to three times a day. This remedy is especially effective in getting rid of bacteria in the urinary tract. Using horseradish is not suggested for people with peptic ulcer or kidney problem or for pregnant women.
21. Foods Rich In Vitamin C
Vitamin C contains antioxidant attributes that help the body absorb bioflavonoid. The bioflavonoid helps in getting rid of toxic radicals thus improving the body immunity that helps prevent bacterial growth in the UTI. A healthy body needs a daily intake of about 2,000 mg of vitamin C. A liberal intake of Vitamin C high food is very necessary in eliminating and arresting UTI. Food rich in vitamin C include Bell pepper, black currants, cantaloupe, chives, cloves, broccoli, dried basil, dry coriander, fortified cereals, lemon, oranges, dry rosemary, parsley, pummelos, raw mango powder, raw Brussles sprouts red cabbage, rola West Indian cherry, saffron, red pepper cayenne, thyme, sun-dried tomatoes, Indian gooseberry and turnip greens.
22. Home Remedies For UTI – Goldenseal
Goldenseal has an alkaloid called berberine. The berberine contains a unique antibacterial attribute that helps prevent bacteria from clinging on to your walls of the bladder. You can combine with a natural diuretic to help in flushing harmful bacteria from your urinary tract. Extract of goldenseal herb (a tablespoon) can be taken up to three times a day to treat urinary tract infections. This herb is not recommended for nursing mothers and pregnant women as well.
23. Home Remedies For UTI – Barley Water
Drinking barley water is also one of the great home remedies for UTI. For positive effects, you can boil water (2-3 glasses) with a barley powder (teaspoonful). Then cool it and drink it about 4-5 times every day. Barley has a diuretic property that helps you to pass urine a few times a day. Along with urine, the bacteria will be removed from your body.
24. Home Remedies For UTI – Chamomile Tea
Chamomile is also considered as one of the excellent home remedies for UTI. It not only soothes and relaxes our nervous system but also enhances the immune system. In addition, it also contains a soothing effect on the uterine wall and lining of bladder. Thus, it aids in suppressing the symptoms of UTI. Here are detailed directions to make chamomile tea for healing UTI:
- Take 2 parts of cranberry, 2 parts of chamomile, 1 part of iva ursi, 1 part of echinacea, and one lemon juice.
- Take all the ingredients in a mug and then pour in hot water into it.
- Allow it to steep for about 8 minutes.
- Strain and consume this solution when it cools down. You can add the lemon juice for taste.
- It is recommended to consume it about 2 to 3 times a day for about 5 days. When the infection is treated, drink cranberry or chamomile tea for several days as protective drink.
25. Home Remedies For UTI – Parsley
Parsley works as diuretic that helps to cure many problems and acts well by increasing the sodium amount in the kidneys in order to excrete urine. For the best results, you can do as following methods:
Method 1: (Using Fresh Parsley)
- Fresh parsley – 1 cup
- Water – 1 to 3 cups
- Take one pan and add some water into it and then place the water on the stove over medium heat.
- After that bring this water to a boil and next add fresh parsley in it
- Now decrease the heat to simmer and continuously boil it for several minutes
- Leave the leaves infuse in the water for at least 6 minutes
- Strain the leaves out.
- Then drink this hot water.
- Continue drinking this every day till you get relief from the UTI as well as its symptoms.
Method 2: (Using Dried Parsley)
- 2 tablespoons of dried parsley
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Add dried parsley into one cup.
- After that pour one cup of boiling water into it and cover it.
- Leave it to steep for at least 8 minutes before straining.
- Have this tea in order to get complete cure from the UTI symptoms.
- Regular drinking this tea will yield optimal results over your urinary tract infection.
26. Home Remedies For UTI – Celery
Celery seeds work as diuretics and contain butylphthalide that is a major constituent of celery oil. To use celery for dealing with UTI, here are detailed instructions:
- 1 teaspoon of celery seeds
- Boiling water
- Add celery seeds into a cup.
- Then pour one cup of boiling water over it and then allow it to steep for few minutes.
- Now strain seeds of celery out.
- Finally, you drink this tea to remove the urinary tract infection.
- Another option is to take handful seeds of celery and eat it like a snack right after taking the meal which helps to get quicker digestion. If you take this every day, you can easily prevent and ease the symptoms of UTI.
27. Home Remedies For UTI – Ginger Tea
Using ginger is also considered as one of the best home remedies for UTI. Ginger exhibits anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antioxidant properties that prevent the bacterial overgrowth as well as decrease the pain that was linked to this UTI condition. Here are easy ways to make ginger tea for the treatment of UTI:
- A fresh ginger root or dried ginger powder
- Boiling water
- Lemon juice
- Take a tablespoon of dried ginger powder or an inch of fresh ginger.
- Add boiling water (a cup) into it and next leave it to steep for about some minutes
- Then strainer the mixture into another cup
- Now you can add a little of honey and lemon juice into it
- Stir it well.
- Finally, drink this tea to get cure the UTI as well as to alleviate the painful symptoms.
28. Cream Of Tartar And Lemon
Lemon and cream of tartar is an old remedy but acts well to treat the urinary tract infection. Lemon juice is very rich in vitamin C while cream of tartar will act by adjusting the pH of the urine and especially makes less friendly environment which further makes the bacteria more difficult to grow into the body. This combination of lemon and cream of tarta will help prevent the bacteria and treat the UTI completely effectively and quickly. For the desirable results, what you need to do:
- 1 ½ teaspoons of cream of tartar
- Lemon juice
- Half to one cup of warm water
- Add cream of tartar to warm water
- Add a little of lime juice or freshly squeezed lemon in it and stir it well.
- Drink this solution about 1 or 2 times a day in order to prevent the UTI
- It is recommended to have this every day to cure the infection completely and also restrict its future coming.
29. Home Remedies For UTI – Cucumber
As you know, cucumber is excellent for its high water content which can help to get extra fluids in the system. In addition, it also helps to prevent the infection by increasing the frequency of urine and removing the bacteria and other things causing UTI. Simply, you need to take a cucumber and then wash it thoroughly. Afterwards, you slice it finely to have it all the day. Eating cucumber regularly will keep you healthy and also make you feel hydrated.
30. Home Remedies For UTI – Diet Plan
Healthy diet plan also helps you get relief from the UTI.
- Drinking a lot of water every day.
- A long with drinking water, you can take any fresh vegetable or fruits juices. This way provides your body with the important minerals and vitamins that are needed to cope with the infection by boosting your immune system.
- Reduce too hot, spicy or sour or in your daily diet in order to prevent the itching and irritation in the urinary tract.
- You must stop the irritants things such as alcohol, spicy food, coffee, nicotine, carbonated drinks, artificial sweeteners, etc. because they will irritate the bladder further and even make it difficult to heal from your body.
Focus on the beneficial and healthy food like healthy fats and high fiber carbohydrates like olive oil. As you see, olive oil is considered as the healthy and good oil for the digestive system’s health.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 30 home remedies for UTI infections in women & men, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to treat as well as prevent UIT infections. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other natural home remedies for uti infections, please leave them below.