Have you ever had a headache? Does it make you sick? Do you want to get rid of this headache condition? If “yes”, please continue reading this article on our page AllRemedies.com which will present to you top 20 quick, natural home remedies for headaches that work and that you can follow easily to get rid of your problem. However, you should know something about the headaches first. Headache is the very common problem of everybody. It is caused by the lack of sleep, stress, migraines, tension, dehydration, and sinus problem. The symptoms of headaches are nasal congestion, redness of the eye, fever, dizziness, pain while sleeping, pain in forehead or cheekbones and so on. And, many people use medicine to treat headaches. But now, you also apply some of the following easy and natural home remedies to relieve your headache condition fast without using drugs or pills.
Top 20 Quick Natural Home Remedies For Headaches That Work
These are 20 natural home remedies for headaches that you can follow easily at home:
1. Lavender Oil
The first remedy in the list of the best home remedies for headaches that work is using lavender oil.
Lavender oil not only is useful for migraine pain & headaches but also smells great.
That’s why lavender oil may be either applied topically or inhaled. And there is the detailed instruction of using lavender oil:
- First boil three or four cups of water
- Then mix from 2 to four drops of lavender oil to the boiling water
- Next inhale the lavender oil vapors
Doing this method, you can relieve your headache immediately. And this remedy is safe although it don’t need diluting. And you should not drink lavender oil.
2. Home Remedies For Headaches – Peppermint Oil
The second remedy in the list of the home remedies for headaches is peppermint oil. Headaches and migraine pain is caused by the poor blood flow. Thus, the peppermint oil will help to promote the flow. And here is the detailed instruction:
- Mix a tablespoon of olive oil, a tablespoon of almond oil with three drops of peppermint oil (sometimes you can mix three drops of peppermint oil with water)
- Then massage your temple and forehead with the mixture. Your head will be relieved immediately
Besides, you also have another method of using peppermint oil as one of the useful home remedies for headaches. And it is very simple and easy. You just need to crush the fresh peppermint leaves. Then put the crushed leaves on your forehead. It will help you to get rid of the headaches.
In addition, there is a different method you can apply to reduce the headaches. This is what you should do:
- First add some drops of peppermint oil to a large bowl of boiling water
- Then inhale the steam in a few minutes
And if you do this, your head will be better.
Ginger provides the relief from the headache by reducing the inflammatory of the blood vessels. That’s why ginger is listed as one of the useful home remedies for headaches that work. And here are the detailed instructions:
- Firstly, mix the ginger juice and the lemon juice in the same equal. Then eat the mixture once or twice per day.
- Secondly, you should follow this method. Mix a teaspoon of the dry ginger powder with two tablespoons of water well to make a paste. Then, apply the paste on your forehead in a few minutes
- Finally, you can also follow this method. Put the raw ginger or ginger powder to the water. Then boil it. After that, steam the vapor
You should choose one of the methods to make your headaches go away. And you should repeat to do this as needed. However, you also chew one or two ginger sweets, too.
4. Home Remedies For Headaches Using Mint Juice
In the list of the effective home remedies for headaches, one thing which should be mentioned is mint juice. Mint has menthone and menthol which can help to alleviate headaches. And this is the detailed direction you can follow to do this remedy:
- Take a handful of mint leaves
- Then crush them to extract the juice
- Apply it on your temple and forehead.
Doing as the recipe above will treat your headache immediately. Besides, you can put the mint tea compress to your forehead in order to relieve discomfort.
Another remedy in the list of home remedies for headaches is basil. Why? – Because it has the analgesic and calming effects. And to treat headaches, you can follow one of these methods as following:
- This is the first method you can follow. Boil a cup of water. Then put three or four basil leaves (these leaves are as fresh as possible) into the boiling water. Next, allow it to simmer in a few minutes. You can add a little honey to it if you want. Finally, slowly sip the basil tea.
- And this is another method of using the basil. Boil a pot of water with a tablespoon of fresh basil leaves or a few drops of the basil oil. After that, steam with mixture.
- You can also use the basil oil to massage your forehead or chew the basil leaves to reduce the headaches.
Although you choose any of them, you should do until your headache is gone.
6. Ice Pack
One of the natural and effective home remedies for headaches is the ice pack. It is said that ice can help to reduce the inflammatory which is one of the causes of headache. Plus, it is effective on the pain. Hence, you can choose one of the recipes below to reduce your headaches:
- The first recipe is that you can apply the ice back to your neck’s back. It can give you a relief from the headache
- The second recipe is that you take a washcloth and then dip it into ice – cold water. Put the cloth over your forehead for five minutes. And, continue doing this method several times a day as needed.
- Another recipe is that you may use the bag of the frozen vegetables as the cold compress. And apply this bag on your forehead for about an hour.
Though which recipe you choose to treat your headaches, you also feel better immediately after using it.
7. Home Remedies For Headaches – Rosemary
Rosemary oil has the rosmarinic acid which contains the anti – inflammatory and soothing properties. It is rosmarinic acid that helps to treat the headaches. That’s why rosemary is said to be one of the helpful home remedies for headaches. And this is the detailed instruction of using rosemary to cure headaches:
- First boil a teaspoon of the rosemary leaves which are crushed with a teaspoon of the crushed sage leaves and a cup of water.
- Next, while it is boiling, cover it and allow it to steep for about 10 minutes
- Then, let it cool
- And finally, drink it.
- You can have this tea two or three times a day. It will take your headache away.
If you feel that this method is difficult to do, you can also have a very simple method you can follow. You just need to mix a few drops of the rosemary oil with a few drops of the carrier oil well. And then use the mixture of oil to massage your temple and forehead. It also takes your headache away.
But, pay attention that people who have high blood pressure or epilepsy can’t use this remedy to treat headaches.
Cloves can be used as one of the effective home remedies for headaches because it contains the pain – relieving and cooling properties. Thus, you can use the cloves to treat your headaches by following these methods below:
- This is the first method. Gently crush a few cloves. And then put them in a clean handkerchief or a sachet. When you have a headache, you just need to inhale the smell of the crushed cloves till your pain is gone.
- You can also follow another option. Put 2 drops of the clove oil into a teaspoon of the carrier oil. And then massage your temples and forehead with the mixture.
- You have a different choice too. Now combine 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, 2 drops of clove oil and a teaspoon of salt. Then gently rub the combination on your forehead.
Whatever you choose to implement, you ought to do until your headache is gone.
9. Apple Or Apple Cider Vinegar
Both apple cider vinegar and apple can balance the alkaline and acids levels in your body. It also gives the relief from the headaches to you. That’s why it is considered as one of the quick home remedies for headaches.
And to make your headaches go away, you just eat an apple with some salt. Then drink some water.
If you have apple cider vinegar, you just need to add 2 drops of the apple cider vinegar into a glass of water and then drink it twice or thrice times a day.
You can see the result immediately after doing this remedy which is mentioned as following:
- Pour boiling water into a big glass bowl
- Add 3 or 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Hold the towel over your head
- Steam for about 10 or 15 minutes
10. Home Remedies For Headaches – Acupressure
One of the effective home remedies for headaches is the joining the valley acupressure point. And this is the way you can follow to reduce your headaches:
- Now press and massage the area between the index finger and the thumb, at the highest muscle’s spot when both the finger and the thumb are brought together.
- Do this method about one or two minutes. Then repeat to this on the other hand
Doing this will take your headache away. However, don’t apply this remedy during the pregnancy.
One of the reasons causing the headaches is dehydration. You can treat your headache by dehydrating your body. Thus, in other words, it is one of the home remedies for headaches.
And, when you have a headache, you should drink a glass of water. And then throughout the day, you should take small sips.
Not only water, you may have sports drinks. With the electrolytes inside, the sports drinks will help to cure the headache which is caused by dehydration or tension.
In addition, you should avoid the drinks for example wine and beer when you have a headache because it will make your body dehydrate.
In the list of home remedies for headaches that work, one thing which must be listed is the lemon. Lemon is a powerful and effective ingredient in order to cure headache because it is relaxing and refreshing. Furthermore, it maintains the acid – alkaline balance in your body. And, here are two recipes you can follow to treat the headache.
This is the first recipe:
- Mix the lemon juice from half of a lemon with warm water
- Then drink this glass of lemon juice
This is the second recipe:
- Crush the lemon crusts and pound into a paste
- Then apply the paste to your forehead
Even though you choose either the first recipe or the second recipe, it will help you to relieve the headache immediately.
13. Home Remedies For Headaches Using Cinnamon
Cinnamon is also one of the effective home remedies for headaches. Using this herb is able to cure headache which is caused by the exposure to the cold air. And, this is the detailed direction:
- First crush some cinnamon sticks into the powder
- Then add some water in order to make a paste
- Next apply the paste on your temples and forehead
- After that lay down for about 30 minutes
- Finally, wash off the paste with the warm water
Doing this remedy will take your headache away.
14. Betel Leaves
Betel leaves are also listed in the list of the useful home remedies for headaches. Betel leaves are famous for the cooling properties as well as the analgesic which is effective on treating headaches. There are two ways to apply the betel leaves so as to cure the headaches within a few minutes:
To follow the first recipe, you should prepare:
- 2 – 3 fresh betel leaves
- A grinder
Now let’s implement:
- Put the betel leaves to the grinder
- Then grind them in order to make the fine paste
- Next apply the paste to your temples and forehead
- Leave it on about 30 minutes
The second recipe is very simple and easy to carry out. You just need 2 or 3 fresh betel leaves. And then chew them.
15. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil includes the anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties. It helps the tense muscles which contribute the headaches to relax. Moreover, the eucalyptus oil provides the soothing effect. As a result, eucalyptus oil is also listed in the list of effective home remedies for headaches.
And to reduce the headaches, what you need to do are:
- Take a few drops of eucalyptus oil
- Gently massage your temples and your forehead for about 15 to 20 minutes
- Do this method you can feel better immediately.
16. Home Remedies For Headaches With Cayenne
Cayenne is said to be one of the quick home remedies for headaches that work. Thanks to the capsaicin in the cayenne, it can help you to relieve the pain. And to use cayenne in order to cure the headaches, you ought to prepare well these things:
- A half of teaspoon of cayenne powder
- 100 ml warm water
- Cotton swabs
Now let’s do this:
- Dilute the cayenne powder in warm water
- Then soak the cotton swabs into the mixture
- Next stir the swabs around so that they can be covered by the powder
- Finally, apply they to your nostrils till you can feel the heat
- After 10 or 15 minutes, take the swab out of your nostrils.
And at first, you will feel a bit unpleasant because of burning. But your headache is wiped out or better than before when it subsides.
17. Watermelon And Sugar
In the list of the useful and helpful home remedies for headaches, watermelon is useful to treat the headaches. So, what you need to carry out this remedy are:
- Watermelon juice
- A glass
And this is the recipe of using this remedy:
- Take a glass of watermelon juice
- Add a teaspoon of sugar into the juice
- After mixing, drink it
If your headache is caused by heat, it will help to relieve your pain.
Besides, you also have another method to use the watermelon as one of the headaches’ treatment. Now, you just blend two cups of watermelon without seeds with a half cup of yogurt, a half of teaspoon of the grated ginger, a half cup of crushed ice, some honey well together. And then, drink this mixture to relieve your headaches.
18. Home Remedies For Headaches – Green Tea
You also use green tea as one of the effective and natural home remedies for headaches. And everybody knows how useful the green tea is. Green tea is a rich source of antioxidant properties which can help to relieve the pain
To do this remedy, what you need are just:
- Green tea bag
- Warm water
Now, let’s do this remedy:
- First take a cup of warm water
- Then put a green tea bag into the warm water
- Next squeeze a half of a lemon
- After that mix well
- Finally drink it
It will relieve your headache immediately after you drink it.
Feverfew is an aromatic herb which is used widely in traditional Chinese medicine for stopping the migraines and other kinds of headaches. Hence, it helps to get rid of the pain by reducing the inflammatory, particularly in the blood vessels in your brain. Also, it can quell nausea and vomit in the person who has migraines. For these reasons, feverfew is considered as one of the effective home remedies for headaches.
However, depending on the level of your headache, you have your own regimen. In general, a minimum of 250 grams feverfew a day will be helpful. Sometimes, you should take 300 grams twice every day and use for 2 weeks. Sometimes, you should use feverfew for 4 weeks or more.
Using this remedy will treat the headaches mainly causing by migraines.
20. Home Remedies For Headaches – Essential Oils
You can use the mixture of oils as one of the natural home remedies for headaches. To make the mixture of oils in order to cure headaches, you can use lavender oil, roman chamomile and clary sage because each of them has its own uses. Roman chamomile works as a muscle relaxant. Lavender oil works as a pain reliever. Meanwhile, clary sage can help to turn the blood pressure lower. Then, using essential oils to cure headaches, you should follow this recipe:
- Prepare a warm bath
- Pour six or eight drops of the essential oils into the bath
- Soak your body into the bath for about 20 minutes
The essential oil can make you relaxed and take your headache away.
In addition, you ought to get rid of the headaches by following some tips below:
- Avoid these food items for instance nuts, peanut butter, sour cream, chocolate and caffeinated beverage such as tea, coffee and cola.
- Sleep enough and well
- Take a nap every day too
- Relax by reading a book, listening to music and so on
- Drink a lot of water (may be about 2 liters per day)
- Take physical activities for example taking exercises, walking or jogging
- Eat healthy organic food every day
- Stay away from stress
- Stay positive and calm
- Avoid eyestrain
- Laugh more
- Take warm footbaths
- Take a warm shower or bath
- Avoid skipping meals specially breakfast
- Eat more food which contains vitamin B2, vitamin C, and minerals such as magnesium
- Avoid alcohol like beer or wine
- Massage your neck, head, back, and shoulder to let the muscles relax.
Read also: 23 Best Essential Oils for Weightloss
If you want to know more about natural at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 20 quick natural home treatments for relieving headaches that work, hope that it can help you find out the best and the most suitable home remedies to get rid of your headaches easily and quickly. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice before applying any home treatment for headaches. If you have any question, or you know other at-home treatments for headaches, please leave them below.