Ringworm (or tinea) is one fungal infection on your skin that is quite contagious and common. It is caused by fungi that live on the top layer of the skin, feed on the keratin in skin, and thrive in warm, moist areas. The condition can also be accompanied by itching, redness, and inflammation. If not cured, it may cause the skin to blister. Ringworm may also affect your nails and scalp as well. There are a lot of over-the-counter medicines for treating ringworm; however they can take a lot of time and are not always effective. Instead, you should try some natural home remedies helping provide relief in just several days more. In this article, AllRemedies.com show you top 25 natural home remedies for ringworm in humans without any side effect. This writing listed the best treatments to get rid of the ringworm in humans from reliable sources. Nevertheless, it is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Keep reading this writing to learn more these 25 home remedies for ringworm in more detail!
Top 25 Natural Home Remedies For Ringworm In Humans You Should Know
Garlic is considered among one of the best natural home remedies for ringworm.
Garlic that helps to cure the ringworm also helps to innumerable health conditions.
The antifungal ajoene present in garlic may treat a variety of the fungal infections of your skin. The fungus that causes the ringworm can also be cured by garlic then. Here is step by step to apply garlic for treating ringworm:
- Garlic clove- 1-2
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- Crush the cloves of garlic using one mortar and pestle.
- Then, add this garlic paste with honey and olive oil.
- After that, apply this paste on the ringworm affected skin.
- Allow for about one hour.
- Rinse off with warm water.
- You should repeat 2-3 times per day for at least two weeks.
- Take a few cloves of garlic and next peel it off
- Cut this garlic into many thin slices and then place it in your ringworm.
- Cover this place with band-aid or gauze and leave it for entire night.
- In the next morning, remove this and continue this process regularly to remove the ringworm.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Perhaps, the excellent anti-septic and anti-fungal of tea tree oil make it as one of the best home remedies for ringworm in humans. For the best results, what you need to do:
- 1 – ½ tbsp of 100% pure tea tree oil
- Ball or cotton swab (sterilized)
- 1 cup of warm water (optional)
- First of all, wash the skin affected with ringworm and then dry it completely.
- Afterwards, take your cotton swab and pour tea tree oil (few drops) on it.
- Now, apply this oil to the ringworm affected area and then properly cover your rash with the oil.
- It is recommended to repeat three-four times per day.
- If the undiluted oil irritates the skin a lot, you can dilute it with some warm water.
- Mix tea tree oil (1-1/2 tablespoons) into warm water (a cup).
- Next, soak a cotton ball into the solution and then apply this to the ringworm.
- You should repeat 3-4 times per day for around 3-4 weeks.
3. Colloidal Silver
One of the greatest home remedies for ringworm in humans is using colloidal silver. It can treat the ringworm very effectively due to its anti-fungal and antibiotic properties. Here are easy steps to use it for curing ringworm:
- Take colloidal silver and then use it either by rub or spray.
- After that, use the colloidal silver directly on your affected skin area two times a day till the infection has completely disappeared.
- You had better repeat this process until your condition has to go away.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
This vinegar is also one of the most effective home remedies for ringworm in humans. It contains natural anti-fungal properties as well as helps to balance the skin pH levels. This apple cider vinegar not only fights off the fungi but it also helps in preventing the infection not to happen in the future. For the most beneficial results, what you need to do:
- Hand towel or cotton ball
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Firstly, clean your affected skin area and then pat dry.
- Before using apple cider vinegar on the rashes, you should do one patch test to see if the skin is sensitive to this vinegar.
- After that, apply some vinegar with cotton ball on the ringworm rashes. You should repeat 3-4 times a day.
- Another option is to soak a towel in the apple cider vinegar and allow it on the rashes for about half an hour. It is suggested to do this process two times a day.
- You can use this remedy for around 3-4 weeks for treating your skin infection.
5. Raw Papaya
The green or raw papaya can get rid of old dead cells from the skin’s outer layers, the place where the infection grow and dwell. Your young cells of the skin are left unharmed. This can be due to a lot of enzymes present in papaya, especially chymopapain and papain. These enzymes remove the defense shields of yeasts, viruses as well as various kinds of fungus. Both chymopapain and papain enzymes also treat inflammation and heal burns as well. Therefore papaya can prove to be one of the best home remedies for ringworm. Here are some methods to use papaya for dealing with ringworm at home:
- Take one fresh raw papaya and next separate the seeds from the papaya.
- Put these seeds under the sunlight for around three to four hours in order to get dry
- Then, crush these dried seeds and then add water to create it like one paste.
- Now, apply this paste on your infected area
- Allow it on for around 15 – 20 minutes and rinse it off
- You had better do the process for about 2 – 3 times in per day regularly to remove the ringworm.
- First of all, take one raw papaya and next to cut it into many small slices
- Afterwards, take one of the slices and rub it on your ringworm patches
- If required use another slice simultaneously in order to rub it on your ringworm infected area for around 10 – 15 minutes
- It is suggested to do this process for three times per day regularly in order to prevent the ringworm as well as its infection completely
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is also one of the most effective home remedies for ringworm because it can completely erase a host of fungi which cause this infection on the skin. Generally, the magic ingredient present in coconut oil is its MCFA (Medium Chain Fatty Acids), especially, the Lauric acid. The acid is capable of fighting off many fungi species and hence there is high chance which coconut oil would act to treat the ringworm infection if nothing else can help. The anti-fungal and antiviral of Lauric acid will help in dissolving fatty outer membranes of your microbes thereby killing them. For satisfied results, what you need to do:
- Just take a little coconut oil and then liberally apply on the ringworm.
- Gently massage for a few minutes and leave.
- You can repeat this way 3-4 times per day.
- Alternatively, apply some this oil before going to sleep and allow this on the ringworm affected area entire night.
- Do this every day for a few weeks and you will see the ringworms being treated.
Using saltwater is also the most excellent home remedies for ringworm in humans. When you soak in the salt water, it disinfects your affected area as well as dries up your rash patches. Here are some steps to use salt for treating ringworm in humans:
- Add salt (¼ to ½ cup) to one basin filled with warm water. Then soak your ringworm affected area in the salty warm water for about half an hour.
- Or, you can take little sea salt and then using a little water, and moisten it a little. Now use the salt scrub to rub into the ringworm using a washcloth. You should do this around 15-20 minutes every day.
- Another option is to take salt (1tablespoon) and vinegar (2 tablespoons). Mix them together to create a salt vinegar paste. Then, apply this paste to your ringworm affected area and allow for around 5-10 minutes. It is recommended to repeat three times a day for at least one week.
As you see, lemongrass herb is naturally anti-septic and anti-bacterial. The natural antibacterial properties in lemongrass prevent infections and its natural antiseptic properties can heal wounds perfectly. For the positive effects, what you need to do:
- Lemongrass leaves
- Crush or grind the lemongrass leaves.
- You should use buttermilk in place of the water to help you create its paste.
- After that, apply the lemongrass-buttermilk paste on the ringworm rashes.
- Allow for around 20-30 minutes before rinsing off.
- 3-5 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of carrier oil (jojoba oil or sweet almond oil)
- First of all, mix lemongrass oil with the choice of carrier oil.
- Then, apply this oil mix to the ringworm infection.
- You had better repeat 4-5 times per day until the infection disappears completely.
Turmeric also ranks among one of the best home remedies for ringworm in humans. It is an anti-septic and antibiotic which helps to fight off and not allows the infection to spread to other parts of your body or to others. Here are some ways to use turmeric for ringworm:
- Grind or crush the turmeric root to create its paste. You can use some water if needed.
- Then, apply this turmeric paste on the ringworm.
- Keep for about 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water and mild soap because turmeric tends to stain.
- Another option is to simply apply few drops of turmeric oil on your infection.
- Firstly, pick some raw turmeric juice and then apply it directly on your ringworm affected skin area.
- Allow it like that to remove the ringworm effectively.
- In the meanwhile, take one teaspoon of both raw honey and turmeric juice.
- Stir it well as both must be properly mixed
- Afterwards, take the mixture orally whenever applying this turmeric juice on your ringworm affected area in order to prevent the problem quickly and easily.
- Regular repeat of the process helps you a lot to remove the ringworm.
- Take honey and turmeric powder in equal quantity
- Then, mix it well to create one fine paste (like ointment)
- Afterwards, apply this to your ringworm infected skin area for at least three times a day.
- It is suggested to apply it regularly in order to get prevent from the infection.
10. Aloe Vera
Anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, anti-fungal, and antibacterial properties present in aloe vera are now famous for all of us. Generally, it is a great plant for skin as well as its infections. For the better results, you can use it as follows:
- First, cut a slice from the leaf of aloe vera.
- Next to, cut open this extract out its gel.
- Take some of the gel and then apply to your ringworm.
- Allow it there for around 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse off with water.
- You should repeat two or three times a day.
There are a lot of other effective home remedies for ringworm presented in this article, so continue reading!
11. Olive Leaf
Olive leaf contains antifungal properties to help boost your immune system. For the best results, you use it as follows:
- Olive leaf extract (powder)
- Duct tape (optional)
- Olive oil
- First of all, mix olive leaf extract powder with the olive oil to create a paste.
- Then ,apply this mixture to the ringworm.
- You can also use one duct tape to keep this paste on your rashes.
12. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Using grapefruit seed extract is also considered as one of the most effective home remedies for ringworm due to a fine antiviral, antioxidant and antibacterial agent. You can use it as following steps:
- 4-5 drops of grapefruit seed extract
- 3 tablespoons of lukewarm water
- Firstly, mix your grapefruit seed extract with 3 tbsp lukewarm water.
- Then, apply this on the ringworm using a cotton pad.
- You can repeat 2-3 times per day at least for one to two weeks to see the positive result.
13. Oregano Oil
The compounds thymol, cymene, carvacrol, and terpinine present in leaves of oregano make it therapeutic in nature and an excellent natural anti fungal treatment which can immensely help you in curing your ringworm naturally. This oil has about 40 -64 percent thymol making it one of the best home remedies for ringworm. Here are detailed instructions to apply this oil for ringworm:
- 3-5 drops of oregano essential oil
- 3-5 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 1-2 drops of wild thyme oil
- 2-3 tablespoons of sweet almond oil
- First of all combine all of these oils
- Later apply the oil mixture to the ringworm.
- It is recommended to repeat 3-4 times per day.
Its anti-fungal properties make it one of the most effective home remedies for ringworm. For the best results, what you need to do:
- Take camphor powder (a pinch) and apply it every day to your ringworm.
- Another option is to mix it with some sesame oil and then rub your rashes with the oil. You can repeat two times a day.
- Or, you can dilute camphor oil (2-3 drops), 1-2 tablespoons of some carrier oil such as olive oil or sweet almond and apply to the ringworm 2-3 times per day.
The excellent anti-fungal, anti-septic, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-microbial, astringent, and multiple other such medicinal properties present in myrrh make it one of the most excellent home remedies for ringworm in humans. You can use it as follows:
- First step is to clean the ringworm rashes with the myrrh solution. Take about myrrh oil (8-10 drops) and mix it with water (about ½ -1 cup). You can either soak one cotton pad and then apply this to the rashes or wash the ringworm rashes with the myrrh treated water.
- Alternatively, you can take myrrh and goldenseal powder in equal parts. Use some water to create one paste of these 2 herbs. Afterwards, apply this paste to the ringworm rashes three times a day.
Goldenseal is one natural astringent along with containing anti septic, anti inflammatory, antimicrobial and anti fungal properties. All of these qualities of this herb make it suitable for curing the ringworm infections. Here are easy ways to use it for ringworm:
- Take dried goldenseal herb (5-6 teaspoons) and add with water (1- ½ cup). Simmer this for around 15-20 minutes. Strain the tea. Then soak a cotton ball into the solution and now apply to the ringworm rashes about 2-3 times per day.
- Alternatively, you can mix goldenseal tincture (5-6 drops) in your option of juice and drink three times a day.
Note: If you are pregnant, you have to avoid using the remedy with goldenseal.
17. Lavender Oil
The anti fungal property present in lavender oil makes it one of the most effective home remedies for ringworm in humans. To use it for ringworm, you can do as follows:
- 3-4 drops of lavender essential oil
- 1 teaspoon of carrier oil –jojoba or olive oil- (optional)
- Firstly, apply lavender oil to the ringworm affected skin and allow it absorb the whole of your skin area.
- If you are applying this oil on a baby’s skin or your skin is very sensitive, dilute it with the carrier oil and next apply.
Neem is also a great herb for ringworm due to its anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Here are step by step directions to use neem for ringworm at home:
- Take neem leaf powder (¼ to ½ teaspoon). Mix it with some water to create a paste. Then apply the neem paste to the rashes many times per day.
- Or, you can get neem oil and then apply this to the ringworm 1-2 times per day.
- Alternatively, you can dilute neem oil (1 teaspoon) with aloe vera gel (½ a cup) and then apply this to the ringworm 2-3 times per day.
Keep reading this writing to discover other effective home remedies for ringworm in humans.
Generally, iodine tincture is very effective in removing ringworm as it contains antiseptic and antifungal properties. You can buy a 2 % iodine solution from one drug store. You do not use it more than thrice a day. Here are detailed guides to use it for dealing with ringworm you can follow at home:
- Wash your affected area using an antibacterial soap and then pat it dry with the help of a clean towel.
- After that, soak a cotton swab or cotton ball in the iodine tincture. Now, dab it on your affected area.
- It is suggested to do this process two or three times per day for up to 3-4 weeks.
20. Vinegar And Salt
Both salt and vinegar help battle fungal infections. Therefore, they prove useful in removing ringworm as well as drying it out. For expected results, what you need to do:
- Make a paste of white vinegar and salt.
- Apply it on your affected area and allow it on for around five minutes.
- You should do this 2-3 times per day for one week or till the infection goes away.
21. Mustard Seeds
Mustard seeds help to treat the itchiness and inflammation around the ringworm. Therefore, it reduces as well as clears up your ringworm infection. To apply it in right ways, here are detailed instructions:
- Take few seeds of mustard and then crush them in order to get powder form
- Afterwards, add water (few drop) and create it like one fine paste.
- Now, apply this paste on your ringworm affected area.
- Leave it for around 45 minutes to one hour.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water
- Alternatively, you can soak a few seeds of mustard in water for around half an hour.
- Grind it to create thick paste and then apply this on your infected area in order to get relief from the irritation and itching as well.
22. Lavender Oil
Using this oil is also one of the most effective home remedies for ringworm. Lavender oil helps to cure the ringworm as it has anti fungal properties. In addition, it also helps in preventing the infection to come back again.
How to use it for ringworm?
- Take lavender oil (few drops)
- Apply this oil into your infected area as it has to secure the area properly.
- Allow it like that without contacting it.
- Applying the oil for a few times per day will give you the better results.
- You had better repeat it regularly to remove the problem.
23. Holy Basil
Basil leaves contains an anti-fungal property that helps to battle against the fungus causing the ringworm. Here are detailed instructions to use it for ringworm:
- Take few fresh holy basil leaves or Indian tulsi leaves
- Crush these leaves and then squeeze it to extract out its juice.
- Then, take two teaspoons of this juice
- After that, use cotton to apply the juice on your infected skin area.
- Twice per day you have to repeat this process for about ten day to get instant relief from the ringworm.
24. Jojoba Oil And Lavender Oil
Both oils are one of the safest home remedies for ringworm. For treating ringworm, you can use them as follows:
- Take jojoba oil (a teaspoon) and then mix it well with lavender oil (a drop)
- Next, take a cotton ball and then dip it in the oil solution.
- After that, apply this oil on your affected area with the cotton ball.
- Allow it on the ringworm till your affected skin observes it.
- Daily repeat this process to get instant relief from the ringworm.
25. Raw Vegetable Juices
Surprisingly, vegetable juices act as natural home remedies for ringworm. Consuming vegetable juice in sufficient quantities can elevate immunity that helps immensely to flush out the ringworm from inside. All you need to do is to extract carrot juice (300 ml) and 100 ml each of spinach and beetroot. Mix all of these juices to obtain a 500 ml mixture of the vegetable juices and enjoy through the day. This will improve the immune system as well as help to flush out the infection. This is highly perfect home remedies for ringworm in humans which can speed up efficacy of other treatments and bring numerous other health benefits.
- Take oregano herb (a teaspoon) in powder form, and then add mustard oil (few drops) and make a paste. After that, apply the paste, cover entire your infected area and allow it dry out. Follow this remedy until infection lasts, this acts as one of the best home remedies for ringworm.
- Buteaseeds are also considered as one of the best home remedies for ringworm. Simply, you can prepare one paste by grinding butea seeds. For better results, you should mix some lime juice in the seeds. Apply the paste externally on your reddish patches of ringworm.
- Prepare one mudpack paste and later apply a thick layer of this paste on your infected skin areas. Leave it for half an hour so that your skin can absorb it properly. You had better repeat this treatment at least two times daily.
- Apply nail polish (two small coats) on the ringworm. You skin can be dried out soon. After a few hours, you peel off this coating. This method acts very fast and it may heal and clear your affected areas within just 2-3 days.
- Take some Azadirachta indica leaves. Crush them to create a paste. Then spread it on your infected areas. Alternatively, you can mix aloe vera gel in this prepared paste for the better results.
- Keep your surrounding and home dry and clean and wash all the towels, clothes and beddings in some hot water by adding anti fungal cleaner to it. Therefore, the infection will be treated as well as won’t come back again.
- You have to take plenty of water and also eat other fresh and healthy raw vegetables in daily to get rid of your pimples.
- Completely dry yourself after taking the bath or shower and then wear the clothes to remove ringworm. But ensure to carefully treat your particular infected area, thus dried it out carefully.
- Avoid touching animals (such as pets, dogs, etc) and peoples who are suffering from the ringworm problem.
- Wash your hands after touching the ringworm every time in order to avoid spreading it to your other parts.
- Avoid sharing personal items such as, clothes, hair brushes, etc.
- Try not to eat or take sugar and white flour which will increase your ringworm infection and also makes it worse. In addition to stay away from the carbonated drinks, chocolates, some kind of sweets, etc in order to get instant recovery from the infection.
- Avoid staying in the humid, warm weather as well as excessive sweating. You should try to stay in a dry and cool temperature.
- Clean the surroundings and also other places with bleach that helps in controlling the spread of the ringworm infection.
- Dissolve six aspirin in rubbing alcohol (½ cup), and then shake this mixture well. Apply the remedy on the affected areas. Repeat the process about three times per day for about 3 days or till the infection disappears.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 25 natural home remedies for ringworm in humans, hope you find your effective home remedy for treating ringworm soon and remove your painful skin infection quickly. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at-home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other home remedies for ringworm in humans, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible. Also you can share the experience if you know any other natural ringworm remedies to us.