Some main factors causing migraines are smoking, alcohol, allergies, stress, bright lights, loud noises, dehydration, irregular sleep, strong smells, skipping meals, poor posture, hormonal fluctuations, and low blood sugar. Symptoms of migraines are often clear such as tingling in the legs and arms, nausea, vomiting, irritability, food cravings, constipation, a stiff neck, and frequent yawning. If you are suffering from migraines and you are looking for natural solutions for symptoms of migraines that work effectively and quickly, this writing is useful for you.
In this article, AllRemedies.com reveals to you top 21 natural & quick home remedies for migraines relief without any side effect. This writing listed the best treatments to get rid of migraines effectively & safely from reliable sources. Nevertheless, it is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to discover these 21 at home migraine remedies in more detail!
Top 21 Natural & Quick Home Remedies For Migraines Relief
1. Ice Pack
One of the most popular and simple home remedies for migraines relief is using an ice pack. Ice has a numbing effect which relieves pain.
- You can wrap several ice cubes in one clean towel.
- Then, you put it on your temples, behind of your neck or forehead for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- You should repeat as needed.
2. Cayenne Pepper
In fact, cayenne pepper is one of the greatest home remedies for migraines because it improves the blood flow and stimulates the circulation. In addition, it has capsaicin, a compound that acts as a natural painkiller.
- Firstly, you mix cayenne pepper (one-half to one teaspoon) in a cup of tepid water.
- Optionally, you can add honey and some drops of lemon juice to improve the taste and health benefits.
- You should drink this as needed.
3. Crush It With Cayenne
Using something spicy seem not to be helpful to treat inflammation and pain, but cayenne is one of the natural home remedies for migraines you should try applying. One of the key factors in pain perception is substance P, which is inhibited by the capsaicin in cayenne. It means that substance P makes you feel pain, but the capsaicin can deplete it. According to some studies in The Clinical Journal, capsaicin can make the headache reduced significantly.
You will prepare:
- Cayenne powder – one-quarter teaspoon
- Warm water – four ounces
- Cotton swabs
- Firstly, you dilute the cayenne powder (one-half teaspoon) in four ounces of tepid water.
- Next, you soak one cotton swab in this solution and then you stir it around to ensure it is covered because sometimes the powder can sink to the bottom.
- You apply the moist swab lightly to the inside of nostril till you feel the heat.
- At first, it can be a little unpleasant, but these feel as a sign that it is working. After that, when it subsides, your pain will hopefully be improved, or at least better than before.
According to a 2013 study of Phytotherapy Research, ginger can prove effective in the cure of common migraines at home.
Ginger can block prostaglandins, which are chemicals promoting muscle contractions, impacting hormones and regulating inflammation in your brain’s blood vessels.
- You should drink ginger tea several times during the day till you get relief. You have to make sure that you drink it when your headache begins.
- Simply, you can chew a piece of fresh ginger root. It will also help in treating your problem and reducing symptoms such as nausea and digestive distress.
Massaging your head helps reduce migraines & headaches because it can block the pain signals that are sent to your brain. It also promotes serotonin activity and boosts certain serotonin receptors. Therefore, it can reduce the symptoms and frequency of your migraines.
According to a 2006 study of Annals of Behavioral Medicine, massage therapy can help in the treatment of the migraines.
You massage your head gently by using your two index fingers in the circular motion. While massaging, you have to keep in your mind that you need to practice on pressure points at locations such as the base of your skull, middle of your forehead (between your eyebrows) and corners of your eyes that when they are pressed correctly help reduce your pain.
- Alternatively, you heat sesame oil (two tablespoons).
- Then, you mix it in cardamom powder and a half teaspoon of cinnamon.
- You apply this mixture to your forehead and massage.
- You should keep it on for several hours before rinsing it off.
You can repeat either of these solutions when needed. In addition, regular massage can help relieve the duration and frequency of your migraines.
Actually, a mug of strong coffee can help in reducing migraines & headache symptoms. It has caffeine that can restrict the blood vessels as well as block certain receptors that can be leading to the migraines.
To raise the effectiveness, you can add some drops of fresh lemon juice because it prevents the effects of acidic diets that cause the cyclic headaches.
Note: Caffeine may cause migraines in some people. In addition, drinking too much caffeine can worsen your migraines or cause the rebound headache.
7. Take A Cold Shower And Sleep In The Cool Room
When you are suffering from the migraines, you should take a shower with the cold water that run over the top of the head for at least fifteen minutes.
While you shampoo, you should massage your head gently. This will help to relieve the tension in your body as well as release the heat from the scalp.
Lightly, you remove the excess water from the hair but keep it moist. Make sure that do not dry the hair.
Next, you lie down in the cool room when your hair is still moist and you try to go to sleep for a while. Also, if you do not want your pillow wet, you can put one towel over it.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a nutritional powerhouse that helps reduce migraines. It also offers health benefits such as aiding detoxification, regulating high blood pressure, controlling blood sugar, reducing bone pain, and relieving constipation and promoting weight loss.
- Apple cider vinegar – one tablespoon
- Water – one glass
- Honey – one tablespoon
- You add the organic apple cider vinegar to water.
- Then you mix it in honey.
- You should drink this every day to prevent and treat migraines.
- Apple cider vinegar – two tablespoons
- Lemon juice – two tablespoons
- Honey – two tablespoons
- Hot water – eight ounces
- You mix organic apple cider, lemon juice, and honey into the hot water.
- You should drink it 2 to 3 times per day if you often suffer from headaches as well as migraines.
- A towel
- A bowl
- Apple cider vinegar – 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Firstly, you pour the steaming hot water into a large bowl.
- Then, you add apple cider vinegar into it.
- You hold a towel over the head and inhale the steam for about 10 to 15 minutes.
If you aren’t used to drinking apple cider vinegar, you can begin with taking one teaspoon and then gradually increase the amount. When migraines attack or whenever you feel them coming back, you can consume two or three tablespoons.
Peppermint contains the anti-inflammatory property that helps relax the nerves. In addition, it has a calming and antispasmodic effect. According to a 2008 study of the International Journal of Neuroscience, the fragrance of the herb can reduce the feeling connected with headache relief.
- Firstly, you can massage your temples, jaw and behind your neck with peppermint essential oil (one drop) or a mixture of lavender and peppermint oils.
- You should keep it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- You should practice this several times per day till you get relief.
Peppermint has soothing properties which can help cure migraines as well as headaches.
- Dried peppermint – one teaspoon
- Hot water – one cup
- Honey (optional)
- You can create an herbal tea by mixing the dried peppermint to hot water.
- You cover and then keep it for 10 minutes.
- You have to strain and can add some honey to make it sweet. You can sip this tea slowly.
Furthermore, inhaling the soothing fragrance of peppermint steam will reduce headache and related symptoms such as vomiting and nausea. There are a lot of other natural home remedies for migraines relief that work effectively and quickly for people with this condition. So, if you want to discover more, continue reading the next part of this writing.
10. Lavender Oil
- Way 1: simply, you just smell the soothing fragrance of lavender essential oil that is one of the simplest home remedies for migraines.
- Way 2: you can put the lavender essential oil (a few drops) on a tissue and then you can inhale it.
- Way 3: another option, you can also put the lavender oil (two drops) to the boiling water (two cups) and you can start inhaling the steam.
- Way 4: you can mix the lavender essential oil (two or three drops) in the carrier oil (one tablespoon) such as olive oil or almond oil. Then, you use the mixture to massage your forehead gently.
Note: Do not drink lavender oil.
Rosemary oil, which contains the rosmarinic acid, has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. Therefore, it helps to treat a headache as well as migraines.
- Firstly, you mix several drops of rosemary with one tablespoon of the carrier oil.
- Then, you can use the mixture to massage your temples and forehead.
- You can make an herbal tea yourself by boiling crushed rosemary leaves (one teaspoon) and crushed sage leaves (one teaspoon) in a cup of water.
- You have to cover it while boiling.
- You allow it to steep for 10 minutes and then you allow the tea to cool to room temperature.
- Finally, you can sip this herbal tea.
- You can drink this two to three times per day. If you do not have both the herbs, you can create the herbal tea with either of these above herbs.
Note: Rosemary oil cannot be suitable for people who suffer from high blood pressure or epilepsy.
Chamomile contains anti-inflammatory, soothing and antispasmodic properties that help reduce migraines. When you drink chamomile tea regularly it can help prevent the problem.
To deal with migraines, you will get the best results when you use German chamomile (Matricaria recutita). Therefore, when you want to buy this herb, you should look for the label with “German chamomile”.
- Way 1: you steep the dried chamomile flowers (two to three teaspoons) in the hot water (one cup) for several minutes. You can also mix honey and some lemon juice. Then, you strain and drink the herbal tea three to four times per day to remove the migraines symptoms.
- Way 2: you can also make an herbal tea by mixing equal quantities of chamomile, meadowsweet, and horehound and then steep them in one mug of hot water for about five minutes. Finally, you just strain and drink it. You should repeat as needed.
Using clove is one of the natural home remedies for migraines that work well because it contains the pain-relieving and cooling properties. You can practice the following ways:
- Firstly, you have to crush a few cloves lightly
- Then, you put them into a clean handkerchief or a sachet. You can inhale the fragrance of the crushed cloves when you have the migraines as well as a headache till you get remove the pain.
- Clove oil – two drops
- Carrier oil – one tablespoon
- You mix the clove oil with the carrier oil well.
- Then you can use it to massage your temples and forehead.
- Coconut oil – two teaspoons
- Sea salt – one teaspoon
- Clove oil – two drops
- You can mix coconut oil, sea salt, and clove oil together.
- And, you can rub this mixture lightly on your forehead.
Basil acts as a muscle relaxant which makes it a helpful way for migraines & headaches that are caused by tense muscles. In addition, it contains calming and analgesic effects. You can try the ways:
- Basil leaves – 3 to 4 leaves
- Water – 1 cup
- You put the fresh basil leaves into the boiling water.
- And, you should allow it to simmer for several minutes.
- You can add a little honey (optional).
- Then, you can sip this herbal tea slowly.
- Basil leaves – one tablespoon
- Basil oil – a few drops
- You boil the basil leaves or the basil oil to one pot of boiling water.
- And then, you lean over the pot carefully to inhale the steam.
- You can chew fresh basil leaves.
- Or, you can mix the basil oil with the base oil to massage your forehead.
One of the effective home remedies for migraines is using cinnamon. This remedy is helpful for migraines & headaches that are caused by exposure to the cold air.
- Firstly, you have to crush some cinnamon sticks into the fine powder.
- Then, you can add some water to create a thick paste.
- Next, you apply this mixture to your temples and forehead and lie down for half an hour.
- After that, you rinse if off with tepid water.
16. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil contains anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. In addition, it contains a soothing effect and can help in relaxing tense muscles that contribute to the migraines.
- Simply, you massage your temples and forehead with eucalyptus oil for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Apart from eucalyptus oil, you can also use almond or coconut oil.
17. Drink Fish Oil
According to some small-scale studies, drinking fish oil can help in reducing migraines and headaches due to its omega-3 fatty acids that promote the heart health. In accordance with the American Heart Association, fish oil has the ingredients that can help in reducing inflammation, blood clotting, steady heart rhythm, and lower blood pressure. Those actions in turn can help in reducing migraines as well as the headache because it can decrease the inflammation of the blood cells that pinch and press on the nerves.
You will prepare:
- Fish oil – one tablespoon
- Orange juice – one glass
- If you are using the actual oil, you can mix fish oil into the cold orange juice.
- After that, you can drink it. It seems not to be as bad as you think.
18. Betel Leaves
One of other natural home remedies for migraines is betel leaves. They are known for the analgesic and cooling properties that can effectively reduce the headaches and the migraines within a few minutes.
- You put two to three fresh betel leaves in one grinder to create a fine paste.
- Then you apply this glue on your temples and forehead.
- You should keep it on for half an hour. Soon you will prevent the intense pain.
In addition, you can also chew one or two betel leaves to remove the migraines as well as a headache.
Another effective home remedy among 21 best home remedies for migraines presented in this article is using feverfew which has been used for many centuries. This herb has a compound called parthenolide which reduces spasms in the smooth muscle tissue as well as prevents inflammation. In addition, it also neutralizes the prostaglandins that affect the pain signals, thereby decreasing your pain.
- The dried peppermint – one teaspoon
- Feverfew leaves
- Hot water – one cup
- You steep some feverfew leaves and the dried peppermint into hot water for half an hour to make an herbal tea.
- After that, you strain this tea and drink it for several times during the day.
- You should continue until your pain subsides.
Furthermore, you can also eat 2 or 3 fresh feverfew leaves every day. You should consult your doctor before using any natural treatments.
20. Holy Basil
Holy basil helps in decreasing the amount of cortisol (or called stress hormones) in your bloodstream, so it can fight migraines and headaches. It is also an herbal which helps in restoring energy and balance in the human body. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that are equivalent to ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin.
- Way 1: you boil ginger pieces and some holy basil leaves. Then, you can drink it every day until you get the result.
- Way 2: you can make a paste by mixing the raw holy basil leaves with sandalwood. After that, you can apply it on your forehead whenever you have the migraines.
You have to consult your doctor first before trying any the herbal treatments.
When you have the migraines, you can eat a green apple that can help in reducing this problem. According to the research, in addition, the smell of the green apple can help in reducing the severity of migraines as well as shortening your migraines episodes, especially for people who are difficult in finding their smell pleasing.
As you know, both apple cider vinegar and apples are the natural home remedies for migraines. They help in restoring the acid-alkaline balance in your body.
- When you have the migraines after waking up in the morning, you should eat one piece of apple that is sprinkled with some salt.
- After that, you can drink some tepid water.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 21 quick home remedies for migraines relief, hope that it can help you find out the best natural solution to get rid of migraines quickly and easily. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at home remedy.