Among the most commonly known skin problems, sunburn is found to bring about so much trouble to those who are suffering from it. Imagine that you are planning to go to the beach to enjoy this summer, but your plan seems to be broken because of a very sensitive reason: your skin might catch the sunlight easily and turn darker quickly as you have just arrived at the beach. To avoid the high ultraviolet sunlight, people have to cover themselves with layers of clothes, this may cause people feel so uncomfortable. In general, sunburn is a kind of skin damage that causes irritation and embarrassment to most people who have to endure it. In fact, there are many kinds of cosmetics used to reduce sunburn symptoms. People can use this method in some emergency cases but abusing such kinds of chemicals in cosmetics can harm to themselves. That is the reason why people usually seek for a natural treatment to eradicate sunburn. If you are among the patients of sunburn, you should read this article to find the best treatment for sunburn at home without being worried about being affected by toxin.
According to this article, AllRemedies.com reveals to you 32 best natural home remedies for sunburn relief without any side effect. This writing provides you with effective natural treatments for sunburn from reliable sources that you can apply at home. Hopefully, after reading this article, you can get rid of troublesome sunburn problem to confidently show off your strong skin.
32 Best Natural Home Remedies For Sunburn Relief
1. Apply Potato On Sunburned Area
As we may know, the potato is widely known for its undeniable utility applied on damaged skin, especially sunburn skin. Potato is found among the most effective home remedies for sunburn relief because it contains components that help to relieve pain and soothe scratches, burns or swollen skin. It is also used to reduce inflammation because of its anti-inflammatory property. Many people believe that the juice extracted from potatoes does work the best while others like applying potato slices directly to the burned area. You definitely can try both ways and consider which one is the most suitable remedy for your skin. If you are interested in using the liquid form of potatoes, then you should follow these steps:
- Firstly, you take two potatoes, then wash and scrub them thoroughly.
- Then, you scrape them over the bowl to compress to get the juice or cut them into small chunks and put them in a blender or a food processor. Remember not to remove the peels.
- Blend the potatoes until you see the liquid form of them. Whirl potatoes while using the blender to ensure they are completely ground.
- Add some water if the substance seems a little bit dry.
- After finishing blending, you pour the mixture out and soak the cotton ball in it, then apply it to the sunburned area.
- Wait until the potatoes get dry, you take a cool bath.
Another simple method of using potatoes in curing sunburn is to cut potatoes into small slices, then place them directly on your sunburn.
Reapply these methods until you see the positive result on your skin.
2. Compress Cool Milk To Treat Burn
Cool milk, apart from being consumed as a nutritious beverage, is considered one of the most effective home remedies for sunburn. Using cool milk compress in treating sunburn is also one of the simplest and cheapest ways that you should concern. It doesn’t take you so much time to cool milk and treat your sunburn. What you need to do is just place some milk in the refrigerator, then wait until it gets cool. The coolness of the milk will help to mitigate the heat as well as create a layer of protection providing protein to strengthen your skin and heal the damaged skin.
- Firstly, you pour a bowl of water high enough to soak thoroughly your compress in it.
- When your washcloth gets saturated, drain off the excess liquid for a few seconds.
- Then, you robe on your burn and press the washcloth gently to keep it in place and leave it there for as long time as possible.
- If your milk starts to turn into room temperature, chill it before re-dunking your compress.
Repeat this method several times until you get rid of the sunburn.
3. Create Paste Of Cornstarch
Using cornstarch is also considered as one among 32 best home remedies for sunburn presented in this writing. With its great advantages, so many patients are considering it as an optimum treatment for sunburn. It is a kind of plant with the cool and silky texture that is used naturally to soothe sunburn. Like milk, cornstarch is the natural and available source that you may see it lying around your house. Whenever you have to go out and unluckily get exposed to the strong sunlight which may cause you irritation day by day. It’s time to apply cornstarch on your bothersome sunburn. In case you have run out of cornstarch, take some baking soda as a substitute. Specifically, baking soda has the same function with cornstarch, which is to weaken the red appearance of the burn and relieve the pain.
To ease the red area, you can cover the burned area with dusting of cornstarch. Remember not to apply petroleum jelly or oils because they can worsen the burn. If the burns blister, you’d better not apply anything.
Another approach to sunburn is to create the paste of cornstarch or baking soda.
Take notice that how much cornstarch or baking soda to be used depends on the size of burned area. However, whichever you choose, there is the same usage of both of the above materials.
- First, you take out some baking soda or cornstarch.
- Then, you pour little by little cool water until it gets a paste-like consistency.
- You patch the paste gently over your burn and leave it there until the heat or pain has gone away.
4. Cool The Burn Down With Mint And Tea
Using mint is another natural remedy listed in top 32 natural home remedies for sunburn relief presented in this post. It is not strange to admit that combining mint and tea is considered one among the best home remedies for sunburn that work really for almost people with sunburn condition because it has a special ability to cool down and soothe whatever it touches including sunburns. In mint and green tea, there exist tannic acid and the bromine property, which also help to relieve the pain and heal the damaged skin for a short time. To make mint and tea effective enough, you should follow these instructions:
- Firstly, you boil a quart of water.
- Then, you remove the strings and tags from 5 tea bags and put them along with 3 cups of fresh mint leaves to a pan.
- You pour the boiling water over the mint leaves and tea bags, then cover them with a lid. Let them there for about an hour.
- After an hour, you get the stuff out to strain and chill it.
- When the mixture is chilled completely, you soak clean cotton pads and apply directly to the burned area.
- If needed, you can also pour the mixture directly on your burn.
If you cannot find green tea, you can use black tea as a substitute.
5. Use Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is another source of natural herb that is widely known for its great application on such symptoms of weak skin as acne or heartburn. In general, it is commonly used to deal with skin problems and sunburn is not an exception. Aloe vera is considered one of the best natural home remedies for sunburn relief because of its soothing and cool attribute, which can suck the sting and redness out of your sunburn. It is suggested that you have this kind of herb grow in your house to supply you with a relevant amount in case you have got sunburn. If you don’t like this kind of herb in your house, then you should get some aloe vera gel from the nearest store to treat the larger area of sunburn.
- First of all, you need to prepare an aloe vera plant with thick and juicy leaves.
- You slice the big leaves down the middle and not cut all the way through.
- Then, you spread them flat and place on your burn.
- If you have your extracted aloe gel, apply it directly to your burn.
In treating a minor area of sunburn, using the plant is good enough. With big-sized burned area, applying aloe gel is more practical. You can also apply both of the methods to get positive result quickly.
6. Apply Apple Cider Vinegar On Your Burn
ACV has literally been an indispensable part in every home for hundreds of years. Although there is no research done to prove the use of vinegar on sunburn in particular, there is a large number of people believe that vinegar is among the most efficient home remedies for sunburn relief because it can reduce sunburn effect as well as heal the mildly sunburned tissue in general. In fact, loaded in vinegar is acetic acid which is said to reduce the pain, itching and inflammation. Pure unfiltered ACV is considered to take the greatest effect on sunburn. It is also most effective after you take a cool or tepid shower. To get the stronger skin, follow this instruction:
- After taking a shower with water, you fill up your spray bottle with the pure unfiltered ACV, and then you spritz it onto your sunburn, or you can soak cotton balls in the vinegar and apply on your skin.
- You can totally try mixing 1 cup of cider vinegar into your bath water and soak your burned skin in it. This will help to balance the pH and promote the healing process.
7. Utilize Witch Hazel Herb
Witch hazel is another natural source to treat sunburn skin and is considered among the most effective home remedies for sunburn relief. It can help to promote the healing process in ailments and maladies. Besides, you can take advantages of its leaves, bark and twigs to apply on your sunburn skin because they contain medical properties which are useful for skin and chemicals called tannins which are used directly on your skin to reduce swelling, restore the damaged skin and wipe off nasty bacteria. You will most likely find the witch hazel in liquid form, which is extracted from leaves, bark and twigs of the plant. Therefore, it is also called witch hazel water.
What you need to prepare are approximately 3 tablespoons of witch hazel and cotton balls or clean soft cloth.
Remember that the amount of witch hazel applied on your sunburn depends on how big the sunburned area is.
Now you pour the necessary amount of witch hazel prepared into a bowl and soak the cotton balls or a clean cloth in it. Then you dab gently to cover the burned area. Reapply this process if needed.
There are a lot of other effective home remedies for sunburn relief presented in the next part of this writing, so keep reading if you want to discover more.
8. Take A Bath With Oatmeal To Treat Sunburn
Adding oatmeal to a bath is also an effective way to help relieve sunburn skin. Oatmeal with a nice looking fellow wearing a hat is the one most people tend to use. On the other hands, plain rolled oats are the most popular kind of oatmeal that people are interested in. Taking a bath with water mixed with oatmeal can bring about surprising result as the polysaccharides in oatmeal can create a coat to protect and heal your skin while the water will help to cool you down and keep your skin hydrated and moist. Remember to keep your water tepid or lukewarm enough. If you use cold water, it will seal off your pores and your body will trap heat. Using tepid will help to deal with the hot burn on your skin efficiently.
- Firstly, you fill the uncooked oatmeal into a clean cotton tube sock and tie off the top. Keep the top cinched off firmly, otherwise the oatmeal will leak out.
- Prepare a bath with full of tepid water with a little on the cool side. Then you toss the sock and soak it for a few minutes before getting the tub.
- Compress the soak to get the extract from it and repeat every few minutes.
- Then, the water gets cloudy and your skin may become silky which is a good signal.
- When you are finished, use a clean towel to dry yourself.
- Remember not to soak for hours because this can make your skin even drier than you would expect.
Read more: Best ways to whiten skin fast and naturally
9. Apply Homemade Cream
Whipped cream is undeniably a fabulous material to help reduce sunburn symptoms and considered one of the best home remedies for sunburn relief. It is kind of simple method to eliminate sunburn at home provided that you have the right ingredients to whip cream. This kind of cream is comprised of water, witch hazel, aloe vera gel, mint leaves, and baking soda, all of which have a positive impact on your skin apparently. You can try adding more useful ingredients or subtracting unnecessary ingredients to find out the best solution that works for you.
- To make simple cream, you have to prepare1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel, 1 tablespoon of witch hazel, 2-4 teaspoons of baking soda or cornstarch, 1-2 cups of fresh mint leaves or 1 teaspoon of peppermint oil, 2 tablespoons of fresh clean water.
- First, you combine the 2 tablespoons of fresh water, 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and 1 tablespoon of witch hazel in a mixing bowl.
- Then, you stir them together and blend the mixture for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, you add 2-4 teaspoons of baking soda or cornstarch and 1-2 cups of chopped fresh mint leaves into the mixture. If the mixture seems to be too thick, you can pour a little water in it until you get the expected consistency.
- After that, you move this solution to a jar or a container with tight lid and store it in a cool place for 24 hours to let the cream fully tincture. Then you can apply it to your damaged skin.
- Keep this cream in refrigerator to ensure you always have available cream for later use if you suddenly get sunburn.
10. Use Plain Yogurt To Cool Up The Burn
Yogurt is undoubtedly a great source to nourish your skin. Almost everyone would like to consume yogurt daily for a stronger skin and better health and have to admit that it is one of the most common home remedies for sunburn relief. People may use yogurt directly or combine it with other kinds of ingredients to make a coat for your skin. In yogurt, you will find out an abundance of probiotics and enzymes that are useful in healing and whitening your skin. If you got sunburn or red spots on your skin by accident, using yogurt could help to fasten the process of restoring your damaged skin. However, you should make sure that what you are going to apply on your skin is yogurt, not vanilla so that you can take advantage of probiotics in it.
- You will need a half of plain live yogurt to treat your sunburned area.
- How much yogurt you apply on your sunburn depends on how big your sunburned area is. If your sunburn is of big size, use more yogurt than a half.
- You have to wash your hands, then you apply cool yogurt directly on your burn, let it be there for 5 minutes.
- When you realize your pain has been relieved, use cool or tepid water to rinse it off.
Discover more: Best treatments for glowing skin for oily skin
11. Cool Burn Down With Cucumber
In fact, cucumber is also an effective natural home remedy to treat sunburn skin. Because of its cool and soothing nature, it is widely used by so many patients of sunburn. It is also known as an instant treatment to scorched skin. Cucumber is not only cool enough to soothe the burn simply and quickly but also contains antioxidant and analgesic components, which help to promote the healing process and relief from discomfort. You can apply cucumber several times of a day, but no matter how you use it, it will gradually relieve the pain and redness on your skin in a very short time.
- If you desire to gain quick pain relief, you can cut the cucumbers in slices then chill them and place such slices on your burned skin.
- When you feel the first side heats up, you need to flip such slices to get the cool side.
- If you want to have long lasting effect on skin, chill 1 or 2 cucumbers and blend them till you get the paste to dab on your skin.
- You can totally add more aloe vera gel and cornstarch if you want the paste a little bit thicker.
12. Extract Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E, naturally, is a great source to treat sunburn problem. People usually utilize vitamin E as an essential substance when they have to suffer from troublesome symptoms of skin problems. In vitamin E oil, there exists antioxidant property which can help to reduce the effect of inflammatory caused by sunburn. Vitamin E oil has been shown in many studies to protect against oxidative stress and reduce photo damage from UVB radiation. Therefore, it is not strange to admit that vitamin E is one of the most effective home remedies for sunburn relief.
The use of vitamin E is relatively simple. You just need to break a capsule of vitamin E and apply it directly on your burn to promote the healing process. By doing so, the useful components of vitamin E also make the scar disappear faster.
13. Soak With Baking Soda
It seems to be a simple activity, but in fact, taking a bath with a few heaping tablespoons of baking soda really works out. You just need to mix such amount of baking soda in order to cool your bath water to make a sunburn relief remedy. This method is also considered among most commonly used home remedies for sunburn relief.
After you get the desired bath water, what you need to do is simply soak yourself in it for about 15 to 20 minutes. Be aware that if you soak for a longer time, your skin may get as dry as lizard’s. When you finish your soaking time, do not use the towel to wipe off the baking soda, you just need to keep your skin air dry for a few minutes.
14. Soak Your Burn With Tepid Water
It is quite the same method with taking a bath with baking soda. It is proved that slipping into a tub of chilly water is a good way to relieve the burn and ease the sting, especially when the burn spreads to the hard-to-reach area such as your back. Make sure that your water is cool enough, not cold and remember not to use soap because soap can irritate and dry out your skin. If soap is an essential part, you should use Dove or Aveeno bar and rinse it off after using it. You also have no right to use a washcloth, loofah or bath sponge because it can worsen your skin quickly.
After soaking yourself with cool water, you pat your skin gently with a soft clean towel. If you are captivated by lingering in the tub for long hours, skip the bath and take a cool shower. One more notice is that soaking for too long can cause dry and itching skin. Therefore, you should spend enough time on soaking yourself in cool water.
15. Use Topical Anesthetic
Topical anesthetic may not be seen as a natural remedy to cure sunburn, however, in case you need a temporary method to relieve sunburn, you can completely utilize this kind of product. Topical anesthetic, especially Solarcaineis believed to bring about temporary relief from burn and itching. You should look for products, which contain lidocaine which is less strong than other kinds of topical anesthetics to cause an allergic reaction. Because most people have an allergic reaction to such products, test a small amount on your skin before using it.
You can find out topical anesthetics under the form of creams and sprays, but the most popular kind is sprays. It is simpler for you to use sprays form, especially when your burned area is widespread. Remember not to use it directly on your face, instead spray some on gauze and gently tap it on your face.
If you want to know about other remedies among 32 best natural home remedies for sunburn listed in this article, continue reading it to discover more.
16. Place Ice On Your Burn
When you get sunburn, your skin may get hot and this can cause irritation to those who have to suffer from it. Therefore, you will need something cold to cool down your hurt feeling. You can use an ice pack to cure your burned skin provided that your area is not too large and the burn is mild. When using an ice, you wrap it in a damp cloth and hold it over the sunburn. You also can take a bag of frozen peas and use that for instance. But remember to wrap it first to ensure the icy package is not placed against your skin.
17. Take Advantage Of Honey
Honey is another kind of ingredient whose function, besides making the dishes more appealing, can create a great treatment to sunburn. According to recent studies, honey is believed to strengthen the skin and promote the healing process of damaged skin. Honey can help to seal in the good tissue fluid, which contains enzymes and proteins encouraging the healing process. Besides, it can provide nutrition to the tissue and reduce inflammation in some ways.
As aloe vera, honey is introduced as one of the best home remedies for sunburn relief. Especially when you have got an inch long blister, apply honey on that area, the pain and swelling will be decreased immediately. You can use a bandage to cover the redness while applying honey. Just after 2 days, you will definitely realize that your skin starts to be back to normal. If you change the bandage to mitigate the wound, the honey will be found dry under the bandage. Apparently, the moisture in the honey is absorbed to the skin.
To apply honey on your sunburn at home effectively, you can tap honey directly to your small area of sunburn, or you also can put some honey on the bandage and place it to the larger area.
18. Extract Essential Oils
To soothe your sunburn skin, you can apply a large number of essential oils to enhance the process of curing your skin. Essential oils include lavender or chamomile diluted in a carrier oil such as jojoba or fractionated coconut oil. Such oils really help to speed up the healing process and reduction of burned skin.
Coconut oil, for example, is used widely in the tropical regions where temperatures may rise high. Coconut oil is used as a sunblock, which can protect your skin from catching the strong light. Therefore, it is considered among the most popular home remedies for sunburn relief. This oil is used as a healing agent once your skin gets sunburn. Before you apply coconut oil, you need to replace all of the lost oils due to sunburn to get rid of discomfort, which results from peeling and excessive dryness of your skin. Loaded in coconut oil is lauric acid, fatty acid which can bring about benefits in speeding up the healing process on your sunburn skin.
- To apply coconut oil on your skin, you just need to prepare plain coconut oil and dab it on your damaged skin. Waiting for a few minutes, the oil will ease the sting and burning sensations. Within a few hours, it may help to reduce the redness and swelling of your sunburn skin.
- If you like, you can add some drops of lavender oil or aloe vera gel into coconut oil to make it more effective.
- After that, you just need to rub a little amount of pure coconut oil or coconut mixture to the area of damaged skin.
- Your skin will absorb the oil gradually, then you do not need to worry about wiping off the excessive oil.
- Pay attention to the stains that excessive oil may leave on your clothes.
One more precaution that you need to take is that coconut oil should not be used right after you get sunburn. You have to wait for about at least one day before applying coconut oil because it may trap the heat inside your skin and make it difficult to heal the skin. You should use water first to treat sunburn before using coconut to get the effectiveness.
19. Take Some Strawberries
Strawberries may be an attractive fruit to make dozens of delicious dishes, but it is also among the most commonly applied home remedies for sunburn relief. In fact, strawberries can be used in some ways to help people fight against sunburn. It may sound strange, but in fact, strawberries contain anti-inflammatory property, which can be extracted to strengthen damaged skin as well as enhance the process of healing skin. Besides, strawberries have tannic acid which can help to take the sting out of a sunburn.
The way of using strawberries is also simple. You just need to take some strawberries, then you crush them to get something like paste. Then you apply this paste to your skin for a few minutes, and wash it off when you finish. This method can temporarily be used if your sunburn is mild and not too large.
20. Take Some Lettuce
People usually take lettuce to make so many delicious dishes including salad and many other simple dishes. In reality, lettuce is not only an essential ingredient to make your salad crunchy and tasty but also an important source to help people relieve the pain you get from sunburn. According to the opinions of many users of lettuce, lettuce has been seen as one of the best home remedies for sunburn relief. Studies have shown that lettuce is a kind of medical plants containing fine anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, which can help to reduce the effect of sunburn on your skin. Therefore, in case you have got sunburn, you’d better open the refrigerator, take out some lettuces to make soothing solution to cure your sunburn.
- Before starting, you need to prepare some lettuces leaves and get them washed properly. How much lettuce you use for your skin depends on how big the sunburned area is.
- Then you have them boiled in water for about 15 minutes.
- After that, you strain and let the water cool down
- Right after the lettuce boiled water gets cool, you soak a cotton ball in it.
- Then you use this soaked cotton ball to dab gently on your sunburn skin.
- You should reapply this process for several times to get the good result.
21. Extract Tomatoes Juice
Tomato is a healthy fruit with so many utilities. You can utilize tomatoes in making so many nutritious dishes, which can enhance the health of people. Besides, it can be consumed widely to provide your skin with nourishing elements and help to soften as well as moisturize your skin in general. In particular, tomato is used to prevent your skin from being damaged by UV rays and applied to cure sunburn. The red juice from tomato is rich in lycopene – a potent antioxidant, which can supply enough cooling effect on your hot burned skin. Tomato not only cools and soothes your burning skin but also provides enough vitamin A and C to help replenish your skin.
- Firstly, you need to prepare 2-3 tomatoes and 1tablespoon of yogurt.
- You need to mash the tomatoes off and use a cloth to extract the juice out of them.
- Then you mix yogurt to the tomato juice
- After that, you apply the mixture on your burned skin
- You leave it there for 15-20 minutes
- Wash it off when you finish
- Reapply this process 2-3 times a day.
Continue reading the next part of this writing to discover other home remedies for sunburn that work!
22. Use Marshmallow
Marshmallow, to some extents, is considered among the most effective home remedies for sunburn relief. It is a kind of good herbal remedy to treat sunburn. The cool and soothing properties in slippery marshmallow really bring about comfort to your swelling and burned skin. Marshmallow contains such anti-inflammatory components as mucilage, pectin, and sucrose, which are really helpful in forming a protective layer to prevent your skin from being damaged by sunburn. This layer of marshmallow can cover the wholly burned skin and sweep away inflammation and pain that you have to face when getting sunburn. To get good result, you should follow these steps:
- You have to take a handful of marshmallow root or 2 teaspoons of dried marshmallow root.
- You let the root is boiled with 1-2 cups of water for about 10 minutes.
- You strain and let it cool down.
- After that, you soak gauze in this water and apply to your sunburn. It will help to relieve your sunburn gradually.
23. Apply Papaya-Honey-Oatmeal Remedy
In case you are hungry for a remedy that do away sunburn immediately, you can combine many types of natural sources to create a perfect solution to help you fasten the process of healing your damaged skin. You can totally combine oatmeal with papaya and honey for faster recovery of your skin. Besides the great advantage of oatmeal as mentioned above, papaya and honey also take positive effect on burned skin relief. They are safe materials available in your house, so you can definitely take some to create a marvelous mixture to cure sunburn immediately. In fact, this mixture is also one of the best natural home remedies for sunburn relief.
Papaya brings with it so many healing enzymes, which can be used to heal sunburn and irritated skin. On the other hands, honey traps moisture into your skin, so it is necessary to deal with dry skin. In honey, there exists beneficial enzyme, which can be extracted to repair and recover your damaged skin.
- To make a solution of three great types of natural source to apply on your burned skin, you have to prepare 1 cup of chopped papaya, 2 tablespoons of oatmeal powder and 1 tablespoon of honey.
- If you own uncooked oats, crush them to get powder of it.
- Then you grind the papaya to get its paste
- Combine papaya paste, oatmeal powder and honey to make soft and smooth paste
- You use this paste to apply on your sunburned area
- Then you leave it there for about an hour
- When you finish, wash the paste off your skin with water.
- Reapply this process for several days, you will see your skin becomes softer and whiter. And your skin health will completely be recovered.
24. Avoiding Getting More Sunburns
Preventing sunburn from development is also a helpful way for you when you are applying some home remedies for sunburn; therefore, avoiding getting more sunburn is the best solution to keep your condition under control in the treatment process.
You have to avoid being burned if you don’t want to have the serious sunburn skin. You can avoid being burned by so many ways such as protecting yourself with a large-brimmed hat, wearing glasses when you have to go out, taking on layers of clothes, bringing with you an umbrella….You should pay attention to your face and eyes because the skin around these is much thinner than other areas and more at risk catching the intense sunlight. Such ways seem to be simple for you to do; therefore, you should adopt these simple methods to partially protect your skin from catching the strong harmful sunlight.
Learn more: How to get rid of dry skin on legs
25. Limit Your Exposure To Powerful Sunlight
If you are a thin-skinned person who tends to burn easily, you’d better limit your exposure time to the sun, especially if it is in the middle of summer. During summer time, your skin is likely to get burned if you don’t care much about it. You may like to get tanned skin in summer. The advice for you is to choose the most suitable time to get your skin exposed to the sun to get the most beneficial rays. The fact is, if you desire to have tanned skin, you may want to stay longer in the sun without being aware of which moment best suits you. That is the reason why you should find out more information about the time of getting exposed to sun before planning to have sun bath.
At the beginning and at the end of the season, you should limit your initial exposure to the sun at about 30 minutes each day. If you are a person whose ancestors are from Africa or India, then you may not worry about the timing of your exposure. However, whoever you are, regardless of how strong your skin is, you still need to limit your initial exposure to the sun in order to get healthy skin without getting undesirable skin diseases.
26. Moisturize Your Skin Frequently
Another remedy in the list of 32 best home remedies for sunburn presented in this article is to moisturize the skin frequently. One of the evidence of a strong skin is that it is moist and soft enough. Therefore, you have to guarantee your skin is provided with enough water and moisture. There are so many ways to moisturize your skin, one of which is to apply essential oil or moisturizing substances on your skin before going out or sunbathing. You can utilize organic coconut oil on your exposed area of skin or another kind of cosmetic cream with low level of chemicals. These methods not only moisturize your skin to prevent dryness immediately but also give you additional metabolic benefits. One more notice that you need to take is that if your skin is too sensitive, you should not abuse such methods but just use simple methods as mentioned above.
27. Build An Internal Sunscreen With Beneficial Antioxidants
Using sunscreen is also one of the most effective home remedies for sunburn relief. Astaxanthin – also considered a kind of sunscreen – is a potent antioxidant providing effective protection against sun damage when being taken as daily supplement. It is also used topically to supply your skin with perfect protection. Other helpful antioxidants that should be mentioned are proanthocyanidins, resveratrol and lycopene.
A number of antioxidants you get from your diet will determine on how effectively you avoid sunburn. The fact is that the more antioxidants you absorb, the more effectively your skin is protected from sunburn. Such antioxidants play a role as internal sunscreen allowing you to get exposed to sun longer and minimize the risk of getting burned.
To build a good internal sunscreen with beneficial antioxidants, you have to improve your daily diet by supplementing more vegetables and such fruits as raspberries, blackberries or blueberries. You can try goji berries but should not use the juice. In addition, you also need to control your using fruit in order not to get excessive fructose.
28. Avoid Using Soaps/Suds Too Often
Avoiding using soaps also is one of the most important home remedies for sunburn relief. If you are a person who can easily get burn, you should not let your skin get exposed to chemicals several times, especially soap. So many people are mistaken that once they get burned, they will have to use soap to wipe off the dead skin. However, when you get your skin burn, using soap will make your skin get drier and damaged easily. Therefore, you must not soak your burn in soapy water or take a bubble bath usually. This will cause irritation for your skin that you just want to get rid of it. Soap can dry out and irritate your skin for sure.
If you really want to soak or immerse in it, you should use tepid or cool water without soap. When taking a cool or tepid bath, remember not to rub your skin intensively because it will cause your skin hurt. When you finish, take a soft and clean towel to pat on your skin till it gets dry. If after that, your skin seems to be too dry, you can apply aloe vera gel or identical moisturizer to keep your skin soft moist.
29. Drink Enough Water
When you get sunburn, like any other kinds of burn, this can cause drying to your skin and the time spent in the sun getting sunburn can cause dehydration. Similar to keeping appropriate diet to provide enough protection against sunburn, hydrating your skin is also very important. You can not only hydrate your skin from outside with sunscreen and other kinds of natural remedies but also nourish your skin from inside out. In other words, you should supply your skin with enough moisture by drinking enough water every day.
If keeping a healthy diet can bring to you protection against sunburn, hydration is very important to speed up the recovery process. You should drink lots of water at frequent intervals to keep your body hydrated enough. This will help to promote the healing process of your sunburn because this amount of water will replace the moisture that the sun has stolen from you. However, you should also be aware of not taking too much water because it can cause you irritation in your body. Just take enough water, not excessive water.
30. Double Check Your Skin
There are many kinds of antibiotics, creams, pills and antifungal medication, which can help you to be ultra-sensitive to the sun. However, no one can make sure that all of them take effect on you immediately. Someone has stated that she would burn 10 minutes right after taking such medications on. It’s the reason why you should spend some times to check with doctors and read the side effects of such medications if your skin intends to get burned easily and on a more frequent basis than usual. This action should really be done if you are using medications to cure sunburn.
31. Apply And Reapply Sunscreen
There is one advice that you should take is that you should apply sunscreen on your skin 30 minutes before going outside to get the most out the SPF (sun protection factor). Besides, you should pay attention to such areas as your ears, eyes, the back of your neck, your shoulders and the back of your legs and arms because these parts are insensitive and easy to catch strong UV rays to be burned. If you are sweating or swimming, it’s better for you to reapply sunscreen. This will help complement moisture that you have been lost.
Remember not to get too big for your britches when you have been sunbathed all day on the beach and haven’t got burned. A sunburn doesn’t truly take effect until 24 hours after you get exposed to the sun and the consequence is that your body might feel the real burn after 1 day. Therefore, if you have to get exposed to the sun for a long time, apply sunscreen and reapply sunscreen if needed so that your skin is always provided with enough nutrition, then it may not get the chance of being burned frequently.
32. Watch The Clock To Choose Best Time For Your Skin
While it would be an impossible mission to advise people stay home during the prime hours of the day, keep an eye on what time it is. For instance, you have a plan to hang out with friends tomorrow but unluckily the weather may be sunny and your skin may get burned right after you get out of your door, it’s advisable for you to watch the clock to know what time it is before you go out. Or, you should follow the weather forecast and choose the most suitable moment to get out. The sun is usually most powerful and damaging when around its highest point, which mean the time is usually between 11.00 am and 4.00 pm. During this time, you’d better stay at home or using sun protection methods. It means that, you can go out at the rest time of the day, and the sunlight at that time may be good for your health and skin. And, you should always remember to watch the clock every time you have to go out to keep an attractive skin.
Hopefully, these 32 natural home remedies for sunburn relief mentioned above can partially help you reduce the pain that sunburn causes you, mitigate the sunburn’s effect, diminish the irritation of sunburn, promote the healing process on your damaged skin, as well as provide you with essential protections against the effect of sun rays to your skin. Besides, you may feel more comfortable when being exposed to the sun for a long time.
Nevertheless, whatever remedies you apply, remember not to abuse them but ask for doctor’s help in order to maximize the positive effect of such methods on your sunburn without getting risks.
After reading this article, if you have any related questions, please feel free to leave them on the comment box. If you want more information about how to keep your skin and body healthy, visit our main Home Remedies page!