Mouth ulcer is quite irritating and common. They may be caused by a number of reasons like food triggers, hereditary factors, constipation, stress, hormonal changes, accidental cheek bites, excess acidity, and deficiencies of vitamin C, vitamin B complex, iron, or other nutrients. There are a lot of over-the-counter medicines for treating mouth ulcers; however they can take a lot of time and are not always effective. Instead, you should try some natural home remedies helping provide relief in just several days more. In this article, AllRemedies.com show you top 26 natural home remedies for mouth ulcers in adults without any side effect. This writing listed the best treatments to get rid of mouth ulcers from reliable sources. Nevertheless, it is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Keep reading this writing to learn more these 26 home remedies for mouth ulcers in more detail!
Top 26 Natural Home Remedies For Mouth Ulcers In Adults That Work
Coconut contains many nutrients in it, vitamins B1, B3, B5, B6, C, E, iron, sodium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous and selenium to name a few. Coconut milk contains antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. Coconut oil too has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Coconut water contains sugars, amino acids, vitamins, a host of minerals and protein. This makes all these products of coconut beneficial in treating mouth ulcers. For the best results, what you need to do:
- Coconut milk:You take few coconut milk in the mouth and then gargle with it. You can swish it around the mouth for several seconds before throwing or swallowing it out. You should repeat this 3-4 times per day.
- Coconut oil:Simply, you can rub some coconut oil on the mouth ulcers. You can also use it like the coconut milk. First of all, take some oil in your mouth, swish around and then swallow or throw away. It is recommended to repeat 2-3 times per day.
- Coconut water:You should have coconut water (1-2 glasses) obtained from the green tender coconuts. They are soothing and delicious. Whatever minerals or vitamins you lack may be replenished by consuming coconut water. It is suggested to drink coconut water (1-2 glasses) a day.
Honey that helps you reduce weight also helps you treat mouth ulcers.
Honey is one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers. Honey contains natural and powerful antioxidant and antibacterial properties. When you apply it to the mouth ulcers, you are helping keep the moisture therein to help prevent dehydration. This enhances the healing process. In addition, honey promotes growth of new tissue as well as prevents scar formation. Here is how you can use honey:
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- First of all, mix turmeric and honey well to create a paste.
- Then apply this paste to the mouth ulcer affected area.
- It is recommended to repeat this 3-4 times per day.
3. Raw Onion
Looking for the natural home remedies for mouth ulcers, you should not pass onion.
Onions have natural antibiotic, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. Here is step by step to use it for treating mouth ulcers:
- Firstly, cut your onion in slices
- Next take a slice and then chew it, releasing the juice.
- Try to coat the ulcers with this juice of onion in the mouth.
- This will give you a bad breath. However, you can wash your mouth with water of coriander seeds or chew a few basil leaves or coriander after some time in order to ward off your foul smell.
- Another option is to grind it to extract out its juice.
- Then use cotton to apply this juice to the ulcers.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda is also considered among one of the best effective home remedies for mouth ulcers. Baking soda is alkaline and regulates the pH level that in turn may boost the healing of the ulcers. In addition, it also contains some anti-bacterial properties which can treat infections too.
Here are detailed instructions to use baking soda for curing mouth ulcers:
- Mix baking soda (½ teaspoon) in water (half a cup). Then take this solution in the mouth and swish it for about one minute. Spit it out. You should repeat this 3-5 times per day.
- Another choice is to make a paste with water and baking soda. Apply the paste to the mouth ulcers. It is suggested to repeat 3-4 times per day.
5. Salt Water
Seeking the natural home remedies for mouth ulcers, you should not pass salt water. Salt contains natural disinfectant and anti-inflammatory properties that make it a perfect treatment for mouth ulcers. To obtain satisfied results, you can use it as follows:
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of water
- First, mix salt with water.
- Then take some salt water in the mouth and swish it around 20-30 seconds.
- Spit it out.
- You can repeat until the water in your cup finishes.
- It is recommended to do this 4-5 times per day.
Both leaves and seeds of coriander are a powerful source of minerals as well as other nutrients such as iron, copper, calcium, manganese, zinc, magnesium and potassium along with dietary fiber and antioxidants. They have a lot of vitamins including vitamin C, K and B-complex vitamins such as thiamin, niacin, and riboflavin. Insufficient of B vitamins is one of the main causes of mouth ulcers. Here are detailed guides to use it for mouth ulcers.
- Take some leaves of coriander and boil it with water (a glass). Allow it cool down and next gargle with this water. You had better repeat 3-4 times per day.
- Alternatively, you can take coriander seeds (a teaspoon) and boil it with water (a cup). Strain and let this cool down. After that, swish around the water in the mouth and finally spit it out. It is recommended to repeat 3-4 times per day.
One of the most excellent home remedies for mouth ulcers is using basil leaves. Basil leaves contain natural anti-inflammatory properties aside from having strong anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties. For positive effects, you can do as follows:
- Take 6-8 leaves of basil and then rinse them properly and slowly chew them feeling their juice in the mouth and next coating the same on the ulcers.
- Another option is to crush some leaves of basil and make a paste. Afterward, apply this paste to the mouth ulcers.
Licorice herb contains anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, soothing and demulcent properties. Especially, its anti-inflammatory properties help relieve swelling and pain caused by ulcers while demulcent elements forming one soothing film like layer over mucous membrane in the mouth that also relieves minor inflammation and pain of the membrane aside from soothing the wound. For the better results, what you need to do:
- 1 teaspoon of licorice powder or licorice root herb
- 2 cups of water
- First of all, soak your licorice root in 2 cups of water for around 3-4 hours
- If you use licorice powder, you need not soak the powder. Just add it to some warm water, mix well and allow it to cool down
- Wash your mouth with the water 3-5 times per day.
9. Milk Of Magnesia
One of the most effective home remedies for mouth ulcers is using milk of magnesia. It helps reduce pain as well as boosts the healing process. To use it for treating mouth ulcers, you can do as follows:
- Cotton swab
- Milk of Magnesia
- Take little milk of magnesia in your cotton swab.
- Then, dab it on the mouth ulcers.
- You should repeat 3-4 times per day.
10. Slippery Elm
Looking for the best natural home remedies for mouth ulcers, you had better not pass slippery elm. This bark contains many nutrients including tannin, calcium, iron, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, selenium, beta-carotene, zinc and vitamins C, B1, B2, and B3 among others. Here are step by step directions to use it for dealing with mouth ulcers:
- ½- 1 teaspoon of slippery elm powder
- Water- enough amount to make paste
- Take the slippery elm powder and then mix it with water in order to make a paste.
- After that, apply this paste to the mouth ulcers.
- You should repeat 3-4 times per day.
There are a lot of other healthy home remedies for mouth ulcers presented in this article, so continue reading!
Alum also contains some anti-bacterial agents and thereby can treat infections. Traditionally, a lot of people had been taking alum for curing canker sores. Here are easy instructions to use alum for treating mouth ulcers:
- You can take alum crystals that are solid alum form and then put a little piece of this in water. This alum will get dissolved in this water. After that, you can wash your mouth with the water.
- You may also crush the alum crystal in order to get its powder or get alum in powdered form. Wet a cotton swab and then dip it in the alum powder. Hold the cotton swab against the mouth ulcer for one minute or so. After a minute, you remove this cotton and spit out. Rinse your mouth by using water.
Goldenseal is also considered among one of the most excellent home remedies for mouth ulcers in adults. For the instant results, here are detailed instructions:
- Make a goldenseal mouth rinse. Firstly, take warm water (a cup). Next to, add salt (¼ teaspoon) and goldenseal powder (½ teaspoon) to this water. Then, rinse your mouth with the water.
- You can also directly apply goldenseal powder to the mouth ulcers.
- If you use liquid extract of goldenseal, you pour goldenseal (a few drops) onto a cotton swab and then dab it on the mouth ulcers.
Note: Infants, pregnant women and young children had better not use goldenseal herb.
13. Tincture Of Propolis
Here are detailed guide to use this remedy for treating mouth ulcers:
- 2-3 drops of propolis tincture
- Cotton swab
- ½ teaspoon of honey (optional)
- First of all, pour propolis tincture (2-3 drops) on the cotton bud.
- Then, dab it on the mouth ulcer directly.
- It can give you one burning sensation for several seconds and can taste unpleasant.
- In order to avoid the uncomfortable conditions, you can mix it with some honey.
- You had better repeat this process 4-5 times per day.
Myrrh is also one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers in adults. It contains powerful astringent and anti-septic properties thanks to the phenolic and organic compounds found in it. For the best results, what you need to do:
- You can directly use myrrh tincture on the ulcers. Just need to pour this tincture (2-3 drops) on one cotton swab and then apply it to the ulcers.
- Another option is to add tincture (2-3 drops) to warm water (half a cup) and wash your mouth with the solution.
- You can also use myrrh oil. Firstly, pour this oil (1-2 drops) on one cotton swab and then apply this to the mouth ulcers. This can bring in numbness and burning sensation for sometimes.
- In order to avoid burning sensation and stinging, you should mix myrrh oil with fennel oil or peppermint oil and then apply to the mouth ulcers.
Keep reading this writing to discover other home remedies for mouth ulcers.
15. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties which makes it one of the best effective home remedies for mouth ulcers. It not only reduces inflammation and pain caused by mouth ulcers but also boosts their healing process thanks to various nutrients it has. Moreover, aloe vera contains amino acids and C, B1, B2, and B6 vitamins, deficiencies of which will lead to the mouth ulcers. Here are easy steps you can follow at home:
- If you use a leaf, firstly, you cut it open and then take out its gel.
- After that, apply this gel to the mouth ulcer.
- Alternatively, you can use pure aloe vera gel in herbal store and then apply directly to the ulcers.
16. Black Tea
One of the simplest home remedies for mouth ulcers is black tea. Black tea contains tannin that is a natural astringent. To use it for treating this problem, what you need to do:
- Black tea bag- 1
- Wet the tea bag with water.
- Then, hold this wet tea bag against the mouth ulcer.
- Gently press this tea bag in order to release its juice.
- Let it sit there for around 20-30 minutes.
17. Diet Remedies
A weak immunity can also lead to frequent mouth ulcers.
- Have more foods containing B vitamins such as whole grains including wheat, barley, oats, etc. and vegetables like cauliflower, spinach, cabbage, lettuce, radish, etc. Although nuts like walnuts and almonds are also high in B vitamins, they can hurt the ulcers so take them only after the mouth ulcers go away.
- Increase food intake that contain folic acid in them like bananas, avocados, melons, lentils, spinach, chicken, beef, liver, etc.
- Have foods high in iron such as celery, corn, cucumber, peas, carrots etc.
18. Chamomile Tea Bag
Generally, chamomile consists of some daisy-like plants which are most used to promote relaxation, induce sleep as well as help with digestion-it acts a treat with cramping as it can help in relaxing painful spasms in your digestive track. For the most beneficial results, what you need to do:
- Chamomile tea (1 bag), or dried flowers (a tablespoon) wrapped in cheesecloth
- Fresh water
First of all, soak the chamomile in the water for one minute or so if you use a teabag, and 3-4 minutes if using dried flowers. After that, place it directly against the mouth ulcers for about 5-10 minutes two times daily to help relieve discomfort as well as promote speedy healing.
19. Hydrogen Peroxide
Antiseptic property present in hydrogen peroxide will decrease the bacteria in the mouth and helps in healing the mouth ulcers. To use it for curing this problem, you can do as follows:
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Take three percent of hydrogen peroxide and the water (in equal quantities)
- Then, use this solution to wash your mouth
- Or simply, you can apply hydrogen peroxide directly on your mouth ulcers by using a cotton ball
- Remember that not to swallow that causes the problem again.
20. Grapefruit Seed Extract
It contains powerful bioflavonoids and also has antibacterial properties. Especially, it supports the immune system in healing the ulcers and prevents infection. Therefore, using grapefruit seed extract is also one of the greatest home remedies for mouth ulcers in adults.
- Grapefruit extract (1 teaspoon)
- Water (a glass)
- Take grape fruit extract (a teaspoon)
- Then, mix it well in water (a glass)
- Create it like one mouthwash
- After that, use this solution to rinse your mouth
- Do it several times per day in order to prevent the ulcers.
The calming property present in sage can give immediate relief from the pain of mouth ulcers. It is also one of the most effective home remedies for mouth ulcer in adults.
- Sage leaves (three teaspoons)
- Boiling water (two glasses)
- First of all, take 3 tsp of sage leaves and then add boiling water (two glasses) into it.
- Mix it well
- Allow it steep for around 15 minutes
- Let this mixture cool for some time
- Now, use this to wash your mouth for a few times a day
- Or simply, you can take its powder
- Then, apply it directly onto your mouth ulcers
- Repeat it for some times per day to remove the problem.
22. Plum Juice
Plum juice decreases the inflammation caused by the mouth ulcers. For the expected results, what you need to do:
- Plum juice (1-2 tablespoons)
- Cotton ball
- Firstly, take the plum juice
- Use it as a mouth wash to rinse
- Wash it for about 2-3 minutes
- Or simply, you can take a cotton ball and plum juice
- Then, soak the cotton ball in this plum juice
- Put it directly on your mouth
- Allow it for few minutes
- Finally, rinse it off
23. Clove Oil Cotton Ball
Here are step by step directions to use clove oil for curing mouth ulcers:
- Olive oil (1/2 teaspoon)
- Clove essential oil (4-5 drops)
- Cotton balls
- Salt water/ warm water
First of all, swish the mouth with salt water or warm water to get your area clean. Next, combine the clove oil and the olive oil and later soak one cotton ball in it. Now, apply the cotton ball directly to your mouth for about 5-8 minutes for instant relief.
24. Sea Salt And Hydrogen Peroxide
Both hydrogen peroxide and sea salt have antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and disinfectant properties. Therefore, you can use all of these ingredients separately or in a great combination to treat canker sores or mouth ulcers.
- Add 2 teaspoons each of 3% hydrogen peroxide and sea salt to warm water (a glass). Mix it well.
- Now, use it as one mouth rinse.
- You had better repeat this remedy once or twice per day. Ensure you do not swallow this solution.
25. Tea Tree Oil
Antibacterial and antiseptic properties present in tea tree oil helps to treat mouth ulcers as there are very good skin disinfectants.
- Tea tree oil
- Water (a glass)
- Firstly, try to see the severity of the mouth ulcers
- According to it, you can mix 5 – 10 % of tea tree oil in water (a glass)
- Mix it well and then make it like one solution
- After that, use the solution as one mouthwash to wash your mouth
- It will decrease the pain and also helps to boost the healing process
- It is recommended to follow this remedy for about 2 – 3 times a day till the mouth ulcers are gone away.
26. Cayenne Pepper
Capsaicin present in cayenne pepper helps in numbing the nerves temporarily that causes the pain as well as gives instant relief from the pain of mouth ulcers. For the positive effects, you can do as follows:
- First of all, take a little cayenne pepper
- Then, directly apply the paste on your mouth ulcers.
- First it can cause irritation but it is really effective in treating the mouth ulcers and its pain.
- Or simply, you can try several candies which contain cayenne pepper to get immediate relief from the mouth ulcer pain.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. All above are natural remedies which are surely helps in treating the mouth ulcers and its pain. After reading the article of top 26 natural home remedies for mouth ulcer in adults, hope you find your effective home remedy for curing the mouth ulcers soon and remove its pain quickly. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other home remedies for mouth ulcers, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible. Also you can share the experience if you know any other natural mouth ulcers remedies to us.