Many people experience the discomfort of dry scalp; it is a transient experience that one usually has as he/ she gets a disease, encounter an unfavorable weather condition, or eat foods. However, the signs of dry scalp can develop and result into serious problems if you don’t pay attention enough. Signs and symptoms of dry scalps can vary considerably from person to person, age, locale, health status, time of exposure to sun’s light.
Although most cases of dry scalp are caused by environmental exposures, potential cause of dry scalp is the harsh weather. Moreover, dry scalp is experienced in winter, when temperatures and humidity are lower. Winter conditions also tend to make the dry scalp worse. But the opposite may be true if you live in the desert, where temperatures can rise but remain low humidity.
Diseases also can significantly alter the function and appearance of the scalp. The reasons that cause dry scalp are skin diseases including dermatologic diseases as seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis and eczema. If other products do not help to solve the problems, maybe you should try the special Home Remedies for dry scalp more effective, specific corrective skin disease causing dry scalp.
Heating and air conditioning, space heaters, wood burning stoves, and fireplaces all reduce humidity and cause dry skin. Hot baths/ showers and frequent showering/ bathing, especially if you like taking hot and long baths, all break the lipid barrier in the skin.Chemical substances also play an important role in deteriorating resilience capacity of scalp. Soaps and detergents are the major home-used chemical substances. Soaps and detergents erode lipids away the skin. Deodorant and antibacterial soaps are usually the most damaging, as well as many dry scalp shampoos.
Read on: 31 Natural Solutions For Hair Growth
Top Magic Natural Home Remedies For Dry Scalp & Hair
The following methods & home remedies for dry scalp will help you treat dry scalp effectively.
1. Use Some Essential Oils
One of the most common causes of dry scalp is due to the unbalance of scalp’s moisture. Using essential oil to moisturize the scalp is one of the most effective home remedies for dry scalp in this case. Natural essential oils, for example coconut oil, lavender oil, or olive oil, are capable of truly good moisturizers. Along with that, the important essences will not only nurture the scalp, but also restrict dandruff and prevent itching.
- You can apply these oils to the hair·
- Then, use your hand to massage scalp, but incubation about 30 minutes·
- After that, rinse with clean water.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera or Aloe is one of the very effective home remedies for dry scalp.
- You can use direct part intestine of fresh Aloe Vera to apply to the scalp, keep it for 10 minutes·
- Then, rinse with clean water.
Notices: Without fresh aloe vera, we can use aloe vera gel tubes and also do the same. Essences contained in Aloe Vera not only help you dispel itching, prevent dandruff but also nourish shiny hair.
Read more: Top natural remedies to cure hair loss
3. Tomato Juice
You also may find tomato juice very helpful to treat dry scalp. Ideally, it is recommended to use fresh tomatoes in order to achieve the highest efficiency.
- First, you only need to crush 3 to 4 tomatoes·
- Take the liquid·
- Use it as shampoo by washing and massaging your head for about 5 minutes·
- Then, use the towel warmers in 10 minutes and thoroughly again
Notices: You will not have to worry about itchy discomfort anymore. Going in details, tomato juice contains lots of vitamins and minerals; hence, this essence helps in nourishing effect.
This method has been scientifically demonstrated to enhance blood circulation to the scalp, reduce the itch and prevent dandruff.
- Firstly, use your hand to massage your head vertically from front to back and vice versa or small circles until the skin heats up.·
- Then, maintain this process 1-2 times a day, about every 5-10 minutes, you will see the dry is gone; it also reduces stress and stress again.
Read also: 31 Natural Solutions For Hair Fall Control
5. Apple Vinegar
Rinsing your head skin and hair with apple cider vinegar is an excellent therapy among home remedies for dry scalp or itchy scalp.
- Take 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar in harmony with 3 cups of water·
- Pour the mixed liquid into a spray bottle, spray the hair wet·
- Cover head with a shower cap, and leave for 20-30 minutes.
Notices: This application will help reduce dry or itchy scalp disease, psoriasis, eczema and dandruff.It helps cleanse the hair, eliminate the accumulation of the products for the hair, increase its slick and restore the pH of the hair. You can also add a few drops of rosemary or tea tree oil to improve efficiency. However, people with sensitive scalp should be careful when adding essential oils and may feel more comfortable if increase amount of water used for the mixture.
6. Yogurt Mask
Yogurt is among natural home remedies for dry scalp & hair. As a mask on hair, the moisturizing properties in yogurt help treating dry hair.
- Use a half cup of yogurt with a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar ·
- Mix and apply on hair and scalp·
- Leave it for 15 minutes and rinse with warm water·
- Also, you can apply plain yogurt on hair roots, leave it for 30 minutes and rinse with warm water.
Keep reading: 24 natural ways to get rid of split ends and breakage
7. Crude Honey
One of amazing home remedies used to treat dry scalp, something as simple as honey, has been proven (a decade ago) to mitigate dry and/ or itchy scalp, rather than other artificial body care products and drugs selling in the market.
In a scientific study, published by the European Journal of Medical Journal, the clinical researchers studied the use of crude honey applied topically to 30 patients with chronic seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp. This demonstrates the truly effectiveness of honey cure for the scalp. We recommend you following these steps to cure dry scalp.
- Dilute crude honey with warm boiled water, 90% of crude honey in the mixed liquid
- Apply every day with gentle rubbing for 2-3 minutes.
- Incubation around 2 or 3 hours
- Then, gently rinse your hair with warm water.
Notices: dry or itching was relieved and scaling disappeared within 2 – 3 weeks. Skin lesions were healed and disappeared completely within 2 – 3 weeks. Furthermore, this treatment also shows subjective improvement in hair loss.
Honey, especially pure honey extracted in wild areas, is an excellent application to support antibacterial and antifungal. This naturally extracted liquid also has significant wound-healing and anti-inflammatory properties, making it ideal among the home remedies for dry scalp, caused by fungi and/or bacteria.
8. Sesame Oil
As it is an excellent nourishing oil that rich in vitamins and minerals, sesame oil helps in increasing blood circulation and strengthening hair in the scalp.
- Simply, mix 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice and sesame oil
- Apply this mixture on your scalp
- Use a hot towel to wrap your head
- Rinse with shampoo after half an hour
Made essentially of oil and eggs, what sets mayonnaise apart is that it has vinegar. Vinegar helps disinfect any bacteria or fungus on your scalp, causing dryness and itching.
- Apply 1/2 cup of mayonnaise to your scalp
- Massage into scalp area then cover with a plastic cover or a shower cap
- Let it stand for a out 15 minutes
- Before shampooing as usual, rinse thoroughly in warm water.
Beer is an amazing natural conditioner, with eggs and oil. For a better deep treatment, use nicer, full-bodied beer.
- Rinse out with warm and shampoo then condition using beer:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegarwith 2 cups beer then apply it to scalp and hair in the same way you would a conditioner after shampooing.
- Mix a few drops of jojoba oil with an 8-ounce bottle of nice, dark beer. Apply to dry hair at least 15 minutes, then rinse with warm water, followed by shampoo.
11. Cocoa Butter Paste
Cocoa butter is also one of magic home remedies for dry scalp and hair.
- 8 ounces of raw cocoa butter
- 1 ounce of sesame oil / sweet almond oil
- 2 ounces of jojoba oil
- Mix together
- Allow the mixture to rest until it gets thick
- Soak your head with warm water
- Apply the mixture on your hair
- It can be used as a conditioner or before shampooing
12. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the widely used home remedies for dry scalp. This oil restores the natural moisture of the scalp and prevents dryness and dandruff. Apply warm coconut oil onto your entire scalp, massage gently, leave it on for an hour, and then rinse.
Another excellent ingredient among home remedies for dry scalp or extremely dry hair is bananas. Bananas contain high potassium and moisture that help soften the elasticity of your hair and prevent split ends.
- Mash one ripe banana and spread it from the roots to the ends of your hair. Leave it on for an hour and then rinse with lukewarm water. For effective results, do once a week.
- Alternatively, mix 1 ripe banana, 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of almond oil. Apply this hair mask on your scalp & hair thoroughly about 20-30 minutes. Then, rinse well with warm water. Follow once a week to enjoy your smooth and shiny hair.
Avocado contains saturated fats, protein, vitamins A & E, and various other minerals. Avocado helps strengthen your hair and add moisture to dry hair shafts and scalp.
- Mash a ripe, peeled avocado
- Mix in 1 teaspoon wheat-germ oil and 1 teaspoon of jojoba oil to make a smooth paste. Apply this mixture from the roots to the ends on your freshly washed hair.
- Cover your scalp and hair with a shower cap
- Shampoo your hair with lukewarm water after half an hour.
- Follow this method once or twice a week.
Gelatin is a wonderful source of protein, which is a key in treating dry scalp, damaged and distressed hair. Gelatin restores moisture and protein to the hair, which makes it among perfect home remedies for strong and healthy hair growth.
- Mix 1tablespoon of gelatin with a cup of warm water and stir well
- Add 1tablespoon of vinegar and a few drops of rosemary, lavender, or lemon essential oil
- Apply this mixture to your hair and scalp, leave it about 10 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water
These home remedies for dry scalp presented above are some fundamental knowledge used to treat dry and/or itchy scalp. However in this modern world, we have to face many factors that emerge from anthropogenic sources; to effectively apply these home remedies for dry scalp, we also should avoid using shampoo as much as we can, avoid using hash deodorant, and reduce contacting with detergents.In conclusion, the presented 15 home remedies for dry scalp can help you get rid of the problems that you have to suffer, but, these are of nature; therefore, you should follow the treatments continuously as suggested for seeing the positive results. Furthermore, you should consult your doctor prior to using these home remedies in order to prevent from allergies or sensitive to any kind of introduced treatments. If you have other useful treatments or further questions and comments, please contact us or leave comments below, and we will try to reply you as soon as possible.