Some conditions can cause swollen glands such as viral infections, bacterial infections, irritants, injuries, etc. The swollen glands can go away without medical treatment. There are a lot of home remedies available to bring the patient relief. In this article, AllRemedies.com reveals to you top 44 home remedies for swollen glands in neck and throat without any side effect. This writing listed the best treatments to get rid of the swollen glands problem from reliable sources. Nevertheless, it is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to discover these 44 at home swollen glands remedies in more detail!
Top 44 Home Remedies For Swollen Glands In Neck And Throat You Should Know
Lymph nodes are small glands that are bean-shaped. These glands are located through the body. Lymph nodes are an integral part of the lymph system and these glands play the important role in carrying the lymph fluid, waste material and even nutrients between the tissues and the bloodstream of the body. Moreover, the lymph system is also important in fighting against the diseases and infections. The healthier the lymph system is the well the immunity system functions. This is because the lymph nodes can help to get rid of viruses, bacteria, and other foreign substances by filtering the lymph fluid. Lymph nodes can appear singly or in groups in the groin, neck, and underarms. Even some lymph node groups can be felt, they are not painful.
Before we find the top home remedies for swollen glands in neck and throat, we should know the basic information about it. The swollen lymph nodes or swollen glands may be caused by many problems such as an infection, injury, or a tumor appearing near the areas around the lymph node. Depending on the location of swollen glands, we can determine the causes of this problem. The swollen glands of the neck, behind the ears or under the jaw are caused by a sore throat or a cold. The swollen glands in the head, neck, or mouth are the result of an infection, tumor or injury such as a bite or cut. An infection and injury may lead to the swollen glands in the groin. In a rare case, the swollen glands in this area are caused by lymphoma, melanoma, and testicular cancer. A tumor or infection of the breasts, lungs, abandon and neck results in swollen glands above the collarbone. The swollen glands are accompanied with the symptoms such as pain, tenderness, sore throat, fever, and mouth sores.
Depending on the location of the swollen gland, the level of severity and the causes of swollen glands, you can find some suitable medical treatments or home remedies for swollen glands. However, if you have tried many home remedies and treatments but do not see any improvement, you should make an appointment with a doctor to get a diagnosis and proper treatments. If nothing natural can improve this condition, the swollen glands may be caused by serious health disease. If swollen glands are caused by the common health problems that are not serious, it can be healed by itself when the hidden causes disappear. However, if you use natural home remedies for swollen glands, it can fasten the healing process.
Here are 44 best home remedies for swollen glands in neck and throat you are looking for:
1. Warm Compress
One of home remedies for swollen glands I would like to introduce to you in this article is warm compress. The warm compress is often used to alleviate the swelling and pain by increasing the blood circulation. It is due to the hot temperature. Do you want to treat swollen glands with warm compress?
- Soak a washcloth in a bowl filled with hot water
- Squeeze this washcloth to remove the excess water
- Place it over the affected areas for about 5 to 10 minutes
- Soak it again in hot water when it is cool
If you want to get a satisfactory result, you should repeat this treatment daily until the symptoms of swollen glands disappear.
Alternatively, you can wash the affected areas with warm water several times daily. It also gives you a relief for swollen glands.
If you look for home remedies for swollen glands or swelling, you should not ignore massage. Massage can help to stimulate the glands and keep them function well. If used regularly, massage can give you a significant relief for swelling. Moreover, this method can get rid of the impurities from the nodes. Accumulation of impurities in the nodes can also cause swelling.
- Massage the swollen areas with your fingers for about 5 minutes
- Repeat this treatment two or three times daily to get a good result
You can do the massage to reduce swelling by yourself but it is a great idea if you hire a professional who has a great established experience in the lymph drainage massage.
3. Salt Water
If the glands of your neck are swollen due to an infection in the throat, salt water gargle is a beneficial remedy. Therefore, salt water gargle is included in a list of home remedies for swollen glands in the neck.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt in one cup of warm water
- Dissolve it thoroughly
- Use it to gargle your mouth and your throat
- Spit it out
This treatment should be done daily for one week if you want to have a significant result.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is effective in treating swollen glands too because it has alkaline properties and ability to keep a PH levels of your body healthy. Moreover, vinegar also contains antibacterial effects that can keep any infections causing swollen glands at bay.
Method 1; Apple cider vinegar and water
- Mix unfiltered apple cider vinegar with water in equal quantities in a bowl
- Dip a washcloth in this bowl
- Apply this washcloth over the affected areas for 5 minutes
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water
- Do this treatment once or twice daily
Method 2: Apple cider vinegar and honey
- Mix one tablespoon of unfiltered apple cider vinegar with a little honey
- Add this mixture into a glass of warm water
- Drink this mixture twice a day until you get a significant relief.
Honey is also one of home remedies for swollen glands. This is because honey contains anti-inflammatory properties. Regular use of honey can help to alleviate pain and swelling. Moreover, the antibacterial properties of honey are beneficial in fighting against the infection that increases the risk of swollen glands.
Here are the ways you can use honey to treat swollen glands.
Method 1: Lemon juice and honey
- Squeeze the juice from one lemon and add it into a glass of warm water
- Add one or two teaspoons of honey into this lemon juice
You should drink this lemon juice twice daily for one week to see the satisfactory result. It is a great idea if you drink one glass of lemon juice in the morning with your empty stomach. It can help to cleanse your body system, remove the impurities from your body and boost the immunity system.
Method 2: Topical application of honey
Honey can be used topically to treat swollen glands.
- Apply a little honey to the affected area
- Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes
- Wash it off with lukewarm water
You should apply honey two or three times a day. If it works, the symptoms of honey will disappear whiten one week.
Looking for home remedies for swollen glands and pain, you should not ignore Echinacea. It contains anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. Therefore, using Echinacea can help to make the lymph system stronger, fight the infection causing swollen glands and get rid of impurities from the lymph nodes and the blood.
Here are the ways you can use Echinacea to treat swollen glands.
- Spread some Echinacea ointment and cream over the swollen areas three times daily for one week to get a significant relief
- Drink two cups of Echinacea tea per day for one week. You should not drink more than one week because it can lead to some unwanted side effects
- Take 300 mg of Echinacea supplements twice daily for one week. However, before taking this supplement, it is important for you to consult your doctor carefully to prevent unwanted side effects
Before using Echinacea as one of effective home remedies for swollen glands, it is important to know that taking this herb for more than one week can result in some unwanted side effects and lead to health conditions. Therefore, you should use Echinacea carefully. People who get diagnosed with autoimmune disorders should avoid using this herb.
Many herbalists suggest that patient with swollen glands should use cleavers to find a significant relief and fasten the healing process. Cleavers is also known as sticky weed or goosegrass. This therapeutic herb can help to stimulate the lymphatic system and keep this system function well. Moreover, cleavers are beneficial in reducing swelling.
Here are the ways on how to use cleavers to treat swollen glands.
- Put two tablespoons of cleavers into a cup of hot water
- Let it steep for 10 minutes
- Strain the liquid
- Drink this solution two or three times daily until you see the great improvement
- Add 30 drops of cleavers tincture into a glass of water
- Drink this solution daily until the symptoms of swollen glands disappear
People with some certain health conditions should avoid using cleavers because of its unwanted side effects. Therefore, you should consult your doctor before taking cleavers.
If you drink lemon juice in the morning with your empty stomach, it can help to cleanse your body and remove the impurities from your body system. Moreover, drinking lemon juice can help to fight against the infections that cause swollen glands. Lemon juice is an effective home remedy that can treat swollen glands caused by sore throat. In order to make this juice, you just need to squeeze a lemon to take its juice. Add this juice into a glass of warm water. To make its sweet and enhance the benefit of lemon in treating swollen glands, you should add one or two teaspoons of honey into this lemon juice. Besides drinking lemon juice, there are many methods of using lemon to treat swollen glands.
Here are the ways on how to use lemon to treat swollen glands.
- Cut a lemon into two halves
- Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over one half of lemon
- Lick it
You should to this treatment three times a week for one week until the symptoms of swollen glands disappear completely.
- Add lemon juice in a glass of water
- Use this solution to gargle your throat
This treatment should be repeated daily to get a good result.
9. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper can work as a natural stimulant; therefore, it can reduce the risk of swollen glands. It is recommended drinking three cups of cayenne pepper tea daily to treat swollen glands.
Here is the instruction on how to make cayenne pepper tea to treat swollen lymph
- Pour 1/2 tablespoon of powdered cayenne pepper in a glass of warm water
- Add one tablespoon of honey into it
You should drink this tea until the symptoms of swollen lymph disappear completely.
10. Tea Bags
Tea bags are also one of home remedies for swollen glands that I would like to introduce to you in this article. It can help to eliminate the pain and relieve the swelling.
- Dip some tea bags in hot water for a few minutes
- Apply these tea bags to the swollen areas
- Let it sit for 15 minutes before removing it
This treatment is required to repeat two or three times daily.