Have you ever heard about gum disease? If yes, you must at least hear about one of the most typical symptoms of gum disease called gingivitis. Gingivitis causes the red swelling and tenderness on your gums, which brings about irritation for you not only when taking meal but also when taking other activities relating to mouths. Besides, it also causes your bad breath, gums discoloration, gums’ puffiness,… Because it possesses ambiguous characteristics, not until a long time later will the patients realize it. The main causes of gingivitis are poor hygiene, carelessness in having poor diet and mouth cleaning, drug abuse, diabetes,… The truth is, even though gingivitis is just a mild infection of gum disease, but when having gingivitis, people will be more likely to suffer from severe infection named periodontitis or loss of teeth.
To deal with this significant problem, taking use of medication is mostly agreed with by almost everyone, but in fact, natural remedies can also help you out in such dilemma provided that you follow the right route. Seeing that gingivitis can do much harm to people’s health as well as much trouble to the daily routine, in this article, All Remedies reveals to you top 27 most effective natural at home remedies for gingivitis in humans. Hopefully, after reading this article, you will choose for yourself the most appropriate homemade treatment to combat with irritating gingivitis thoroughly. However, you should keep in mind that the following remedies are just used for basic symptoms of gingivitis, so you should be aware if your body is allergic to one of them or the symptom may escalate, in this case, you should consult doctor’s advice to cure gingivitis without any regret.
Let’s start to find out the most effective natural home remedies for gingivitis that may suit you.
Top 27 Natural At Home Remedies For Gingivitis In Humans
1. Make Mouthwash And Paste From Salt
To start, the first remedy that is highly recommended to you is salt. As you may know, salt is a very important ingredient in every kitchen. Without it, your dishes would lose its taste and you would feel so fed up with it. Besides its great utility as an indispensable flavor for your mail, it is universally known for its high effect as a safe remedy for many health problems including mouth diseases. As you may known, salt is usually used as mouthwash when you wake up every morning, and even it can cure severe symptoms such as gingivitis . To some aspects, salt is considered as one of the most efficient home remedies for gingivitis. Loaded in salt is the high content of antibacterial and antiseptic properties, therefore, it can be taken to soothe inflamed and swollen gums. In addition, it is used to eliminate abscesses’ infection as well as reduce bacteria’s spreading in your mouth. To know more, follow the below guide:
- First, you need to dissolve ½ teaspoon of salt in a glass of tepid water. Once you have the expected solution, you rinse your mouth on daily routine – once in the morning after getting up and once in the evening. Apply this process until you get your gums’ swelling reduced.
- You can also try creating a paste by mixing enough mustard with ½ teaspoon of salt. Then, you massage your gums gently with this kind of paste for 1-2 minutes. When you are done, rinse your mouth with warm water. You repeat this process 2-3 times each day for a few days or until your gums is less swollen.
2. Make Paste From Turmeric
Of the best natural home remedies for gingivitis, turmeric is believed to control your gingivitis effectively. Because turmeric contains curcumin which includes anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds while efficiently reducing pain, plaque, inflammation and swelling in the gums plus preventing infection well by limiting bacterial activities, turmeric is undeniably of the most outstanding home remedies for gingivitis.
Recently, the Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology has published a study to show how efficiently turmeric mouthwash takes effect as an aid for mechanical plaque control, thereby reducing gingivitis and plaque well. In comparison with traditional chlorexidine mouthwash, turmeric has a high level of anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and anti-plaque properties; therefore, turmeric can become a miraculous treatment to wipe away gingivitis speedily. To take the highest effect of it, follow the below instruction:
- The first recipe is making a paste from turmeric: You mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with ½ tsp. of mustard oil and ½ tsp. of salt to make a paste. Then, you apply this paste on your gums and teeth and massage gently 2 times each day.
- The second way you may follow is to make a pack for gums: you mix ½ tsp. of turmeric powder with vitamin E oil or some water. You will have a pack for your gums, apply it on your gums and let it there for 10 minutes, then rinse your mouth with tepid water. Apply this process once each day for a few weeks.
- The last trial for you is to make toothpaste by mixing some turmeric powder with some water, use a soft-bristle toothbrush to scoop it up and brush your teeth as usual with this creative toothpaste. Reapply the process 2 times each day for a few weeks.
3. Try Oil Pulling If Possible
This remedy is carried out under the instruction of Ayurvedic, following Ayurvedic practice, you won’t be worried about your gingivitis escalating the situation because the practice can help to prevent bacteria from flourishing to cause gingivitis. It not only helps reduce plaque and strengthen gums but also maintains positive oral health. There are a large number of types of oil that can be applied for gingivitis, the most prominent ones that should be mentioned are coconut oil, sesame oil,… This tip will show you the right way to have strong gums:
- You put 1 tsp. of coconut oil or sesame oil directly to your mouth
- Then you keep swishing it through your teeth in your mouth for at least 15-20 minutes
- After that, rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water
- This method should be used in the morning after waking up and before you brush your teeth. Keep following these steps for at least 1 month.
You should keep in mind that, such oils are just for mouth rinse, so do not swallow or gargle the oil.
4. Try Essential Oil: Coconut Oil/ Neem Oil/ Olive Oil
In the greatest home remedies for gingivitis, there are many types of oil can be extract to relieve gingivitis fast. The most outstanding types that should be mentioned are coconut oil, olive oil, neem oil. As mentioned above, oil pulling plays an important part in dealing with gingivitis, therefore, taking use of such oils will help you eliminate gingivitis quickly.
“Loaded in pure coconut oil is a high amount of anti-bacterial compounds”
Therefore, it is popularly used in treating skin, hair problems. Towards gingivitis, it also takes the same effect as on skin or hair. At the same time, vitamin E contains many antibacterial properties, which are helpful in eliminating gingivitis fast. The usage of such oils is quite simple, you just need to apply directly vitamin E oil and coconut oil on your gums. Besides, you can utilize neem oil for your gums because in neem bark and leaves there exist anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties which can strengthen the immune system as well as body’s resistance to infections. If you are still not satisfied, take some olive oil with many healthy components along with anti-inflammatory agents, your gums will regain its health quickly. With olive oil, you take a tablespoon of it and rinse your mouth with it for a few minutes and then you spit it out. Remember not to swallow the oil in case its toxins content may affect your mouth. You also can rub the oil and massage it gently on your gums. To get the best result, reapply the process 3 times per day.
5. Take Use Of Baking Soda And Combine It With Apple Cider Vinegar
It is certain that baking soda plays a very important role in treating such critical symptoms like gingivitis, and it is not strange when calling baking soda among the most wonderful natural home remedies for gingivitis. In other words, it is always widely used by a large number of people. With its harmless content, you will not have to worry much about its utility as well as its effect. Towards gingivitis, baking soda gathers enough elements to turn it a trustworthy remedy. To be more specific, included in baking soda is anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties which are really beneficial for your mouth, teeth and gums. Its function is described as balancing the acids in your mouth so that your gum disease and tooth decay can be controlled well. Moreover, with its antiseptic property, infection is optimally reduced. You can make paste from baking soda as followed:
- To make paste, first, you need to mix ½ tsp. of baking soda with a little of warm water
- Then apply directly the paste to your gums
- Let it be there for 1-2 minutes, then you wash it off with warm water
- Reapply this process for 2-3 times weekly.
- Or you can totally try to make the mouthwash with the combination of baking soda and apple cider vinegar.
- Firstly, you put 1 tbsp. of ACV in a cup of water
- Stir them well and use it as a mouth rinse after you brush your teeth with baking soda
- With the rest of water, you can drink it to strengthen your body from inside to struggle with gingivitis. Remember that do not take undiluted ACV because it can eat away your tooth enamel.
6. Apply Lemon Juice Or Lemon Juice With Strawberries
Lemon juice is the favorite beverage for everyone in hot weather. For the most part, people just think about it as a coolant during hot days without paying attention that it can even do more than that. It can used widely as a great treatment for many usual symptoms or health problems in daily life. Specifically, it is listed in the most effective natural home remedies for gingivitis. Thanks to its high content of anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties plus a high level of vitamin C, gingivitis could not only be treated thoroughly but also free from infections for a relatively long time. There come many treatments from lemon juice, pick up one to apply:
- The first trial is that you can mix lemon juice with a cup of warm water. After you brush your teeth, use the lemon solution to rinse your mouth. Apply this method 2 times a day to prevent receding gums as well as bleeding resulted from gingivitis.
- The second option for you is that you can combine 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with a little salt to make a paste. Use this paste to massage gently on your gums. Leave it there for a few minutes, then wash it off with warm water. Reapply the process 4-5 times daily until you realize your gums regain its strength.
- Strawberries and lemon juice can make you exclaim loudly, but in fact, both of them can result in a big surprise for your gums and mouth. Thanks to the high content of acid, strawberries are used to remove tartar completely. Besides making your teeth whiter and cleaner, strawberries can bring about good health for your gums. Contained in strawberries is so much vitamin C which is very potent in preventing infections. Now, to get perfect remedy, keep following these steps:
- You put 3-4 strawberries in a processor, then add into it a tbsp. of lemon juice
- Finishing, you will get a solution, use this mixture to massage your gums, use a soft toothbrush if possible
- Then you rinse it off and spit.
- Reapply this method on a regular basis until you see the positive result on your gums.
For more effective natural home remedies for gingivitis, keep tracking with the next tips
7. Enhance Eating C-rich Foods
As mentioned above, lemon juice is used as one of the greatest home remedies for gingivitis, and the reason is that it contains high content of vitamin C; therefore, in this approach, the article will show you that you should consume much food enriched with vitamin C. In fact, there is a closed connection between deficiency of vitamin C and gingivitis. According to Journal of Periodontology, the less vitamin C you take, the more chances you will be stuck in gingivitis. There are typical fruits with a high content of vitamin C you may be interested in like orange papaya, strawberries, guava, grapes, kiwi mango, bell pepper,… All of these fruits are enriched with antioxidant, which can enhance bone regeneration as well as connective tissue growth affected by gingivitis. Therefore, you’d better consume foods with as much vitamin C as possible to avoid gingivitis in particular and gum diseases in general.
The suitable amount for women from age 19 is at least 75 milligrams each day and men from age 19 is 90 milligrams each day. In conclusion, remember to supplement enough vitamin C to your daily diet to make sure you are kept far away from gingivitis as well as other normal symptoms.
8. Consume More Vitamin D
Gingivitis, as you may know, is caused by the lack of essential vitamin including vitamin C and D, therefore, to struggle with gingivitis, you should supplement your daily diet with vitamin D. Of the best home remedies for gingivitis, vitamin D is popularly known for its powerful effect on gums infection. Enriched with a high level of anti-inflammatory properties, vitamin D can help to relieve the pain on your gums as well as the growth of bacteria on your mouth. Take an enough amount of vitamin D to prevent the reoccurring of the bad situation as well as heal swollen gums. If you are of old age, take this kind of vitamin regularly because it is proven by National Institutes of Health that higher level of blood in vitamin D seems to be able to reduce the risk of gums infection in 50-year-old and older people. You can absorb vitamin D by eating vitamin D-rich foods such as eggs, salmon, cod liver oil or sunflower seeds or soak yourself under the morning sun about 15-20 minutes 2 times a week. After the specific time, your gums will become stronger. Remember that sunlight in the morning with low UV ray works best, don’t go out at pick hour unless you want your body to be harmed.
9. Apply Aloe Vera On Infected Gums
Aloe vera is a well-known herb in treating so many problems including skin, hair because of its high level of healing properties. In fact, it is not just used for skin but also one of the best natural home remedies for gingivitis as it can soothe and cleanse gums and teeth well. As we may know, aloe vera contains antifungal and antibacterial properties, which can combat with gingivitis effectively. In addition, it is used to ease the growth of bacteria in your mouth, which is the main reason of plaque leading to gingivitis. One more advantage of aloe vera is that it can help to calm your pain and soothe inflamed gums and teeth. You can definitely prepare aloe vera on your own because it is very beneficial to your body, especially when you are suffering from gingivitis. Follow the guide to get good remedy for gingivitis:
- Firstly, you need to extract the pulp of it after breaking open an aloe vera leaf
- Then you use this pulp to apply directly on the affected gums
- You leave it there for 10 minutes and gargle with cold water after that
- Reapply this method a few times a day until you get a better result on your gums.
10. Chew Guava Leaves Or Make Paste To Apply On Gums
Guava is a fruit rich with vitamin C and very beneficial to body’s health, therefore, it is consumed widely by so many people. However, guava can even do more than that, specifically its leaves can be used as one of the most wonderful natural home remedies for gingivitis. With their high content of analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antimicrobial properties, guava leaves are considered an effective treatment to cure gums infection or gingivitis. In addition, guava leaves are found with guaijaverin, which functions as an antiplaque agent. Therefore, your pain in your gums and teeth will be relieved thoroughly. You can try the following guide to get your gums infection controlled:
- Firstly, you need to be sure your guava leaves are fresh and clean enough by washing them with water carefully. Then you chew them slowly and spit out. Repeat this method twice a day for a few weeks.
- The second option for you is to have some tender guava leaves ground to make a paste for your teeth.
- Or you can totally try using mouthwash with guava leaf extract.
By following this remedy, your gingivitis will be wiped away gradually.