Excessive sun exposure may lead to an uneven complexion, wrinkles, redness and lines and is the quickest way to age the skin. Sun damaged skin will accumulate over time and may be caused by even several minutes outdoor at one time. Most early damage to your skin is cosmetic and also is caused by the improved production of melanocytes, your skin cells producing the dark skin pigment melanin. In addition, the extra melanin may make the skin look darker or tanned after sun exposure. These fine lines and superficial darkened areas can be reduced with a few natural skin treatments. There are a lot of simple natural remedies that can treat sun damaged skin well. In this article, AllRemedies.com will introduce you top 18 natural sun damaged skin treatment & home remedies. All of the remedies in this article are collected from reliable sources. Each individual has a different skin condition; hence, you should consult your doctor before applying any way. Keep reading this writing to learn more these 18 natural sun damaged skin treatment & home remedies!
18 Natural Sun Damaged Skin Treatment & Home Remedies
1. Aloe Vera
Surprisingly, aloe vera herb contains 99% of water and its rest of the 1% includes 150 minerals and trace elements such as vitamins, calcium, manganese, sodiums, magnesium, chrome, copper, zinc, germanium, selenium, potassium, tannins, iron and amino acids. Therefore, using aloe vera is one of the best sun damaged treatment & home remedies. For the best results, what you need to do:
- Aloe Vera Leaf
- First of all, cut one slice from the leaf of aloe vera using the knife.
- Afterward, using that knife again to cup open the aloe vera leaf slice.
- Next take out some gel from this leaf.
- Later apply the cool gel to your sun damaged skin and forget. You will see that the aloe vera gel absorbs into the skin quite quickly and don’t make you feel greasy.
- If you feel sticky after this gel dries out, rinse it off using some cool water.
- You should reapply several times per day.
2. Cool Water
Using cool water may be is one of the easiest sun damaged skin treatment & home remedies. Cool water will help you reduce the skin’s swelling by pulling heat away from the burned skin and also in the process, gets rid of the associated pain. Here are several ways to use cool water for your sun damaged skin.
- Drink water:You should drink plenty of cool water at frequent intervals. Especially, you need to maintain your body hydrated that helps your sun damaged skin heal faster
- Cool compress:Firstly, you take a wash-cloth and then soak it in the cool water. Do not use cold water, ice pack, or iced water in order to soak the cloth. After that, directly apply the wet wash-cloth to your affected skin and allow it to stay there for some minutes. Again wet that cloth and reapply many times. Do this for around 10-15 minutes. You should repeat this several times per day.
- Soak in cool water: Sometimes the damaged sun skin is at some places where you cannot use a cool compress like your back. For such a case, you can soak in cool bathwater for around 10-15 minutes. If you don’t prefer soaking you can also take shower.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Using apple cider vinegar is one of the quickest and most effective sun damaged skin treatment & home remedies. When this vinegar is applied topically for sun damaged skin, it works as an astringent. The act of an astringent is to constrict or shrink body tissues. Therefore, it will help decrease inflammation caused thanks to sun damaged skin. Here are detailed instructions to use apple cider vinegar for treating sun damaged skin:
- Firstly, soak one clean washcloth in this vinegar. Then apply this cloth to the sun damaged skin. Allow it be there for a few minutes. As the skin gets dry after using vinegar, moisturize it. You can use coconut oil in order to moisturize.
- Add apple cider vinegar (a cup) to the tub of the bath water. Take bath or soak with this water.
- Another choice is to mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar. After that, store the same in one spray bottle. Now spray this mixture on the affected areas multiple times per day.
Note: Do not use this vinegar on the skin if there is a wound or cut on it.
As you know, cucumbers consist of 96% water and its rest is also a high treasure of beneficial nutrients, alkaline forming minerals such as vitamins A and C, manganese, folate, molybdenum, silica, potassium, and sulfur among others. In addition, it also has natural analgesic and antioxidant properties. All of these properties and components of cucumber makes it an effective sun damaged skin treatment. For the best results, you can do as follows:
- Make a paste from cucumber pieces with the help of blender or grinder. Afterwards, apply this paste to the affected skin. Leave for around 20 minutes before rinsing off.
- Or, you can make cucumber slices and then place them all over the affected skin. Allow for about 30 minutes.
- Make cucumber juice and using a wash cloth, you place a cool compress on the troubled areas by soaking this cloth into cucumber juice.
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is also a great natural sun damaged skin treatment. Lauric acid and the fatty acid of coconut oil is the beneficial ingredient which can promote healing of the sun damaged skin. This acid is also consumed in various cosmetic products in order to prevent redness, swelling, itching and other kinds of skin irritation. How to use the coconut oil for sun damaged skin? You can follow some following ways:
- All you need to take plain coconut oil and then rub on to the sun affected skin. Within minutes, it will remove the stinging and burning the sensations and within several hours it can also reduce the swelling and redness of your sun damaged skin.
- Or, you can add several other ingredients to the coconut oil like few drops of aloe vera gel or lavender oil in order to make it more effective.
- Simply, you just need to rub your mixture of coconut oil or a little pure coconut oil on your sun damaged skin.
- This oil gets absorbed into the skin so you don’t worry about removing or washing it.
6. Baking Soda
Baking soda is also a great sun damaged skin treatment. It balances the acid-alkaline balance or the pH level of the skin promoting faster healing. Simply, you can have bath or make a cool compress with baking soda in the water. Here are several choices to use this remedy:
- Add a half cup or a few tablespoons of baking soda to your tub filled with the bath water. Afterwards, soak for around 15-20 minutes. Do not use towel in order to dry off and allow it air dry so that the baking soda sits there on the skin.
- Alternatively, you can make a compress. First of all, add baking soda (a few teaspoons) in a water bowl. Soak one wash cloth and then apply this to the affected areas.
Another sun damaged skin treatment is using potatoes. Potato contains soothing pain relieving property. The starchy components in potatoes can give you relief from the stinging sensations caused due to sunburn. Here are step by step directions to use potatoes for treating sun damaged skin:
- Cut a potato into many slices and next gently rub these slices on your sun damaged skin.
- Cut 2 potatoes into many pieces and then grind them to form their paste. Then add a little water if needed. After that, apply this potato paste to your affected area. Allow it dry and finally wash off.
- You can also tie this potato paste in one clean cloth and then apply it like one compress to your sun damaged skin.
- Another option is to grind a potato or grate it to create the paste. Now put the pasted or grated potato on a gauze and then place this thing on the sun damaged skin. You can use a tape to keep the gauze. You should repeat 4-5 times per day.
Tea contains tannic acid which helps to pull out the heat from the sun damaged skin. In addition, it also helps balance the pH level of your skin giving you many much needed comforts. For the most beneficial results, what you need to do:
- First of all, brew some tea and then allow it to cool down. After that, dip a clean cloth into this tea and now apply to the affected areas.
- You can add some tea to the bathwater and soak.
- Alternatively, you can wet several tea bags and then pat the affected skin area using these tea bags.
As you see, oats are a very powerful source of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant components. Thus, it makes oatmeal a perfect sun damaged skin treatment. Here are detailed guides to relieve sun damaged skin discomforts:
- Take oatmeal (1 cup) and grind it in one processor. Then add the oatmeal powder to the bathtub and next soak in it.
- Another option is to take uncooked oats (½ cup) and grind it to create its powder. Add milk (¼ cup) and honey (2-3 tablespoons) to the oatmeal powder. Mix it well and now apply the paste to the sun damaged skin. Allow for around 15-20 minutes before rinsing off.
Another natural sun damaged skin treatment is using tomatoes. This red juicy vegetable is very rich in lycopene, a high antioxidant that seems to grant the much needed cooling effect to the damaged skin. Not only do tomatoes soothe and cool the damaged skin, the vitamins A and C present in them help replenish the skin too. For the best results, what you need to do:
- Tomatoes- 2-3
- 1 tablespoon of yogurt
- Firstly, grind your tomatoes and using a cloth or sieve, extract their juice.
- Then add yogurt to your tomato juice.
- Mix well and later apply on your sun damaged skin.
- Allow for around 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off.
- It is recommended to repeat 2-3 times per day.
11. Papaya, Honey And Oatmeal
Along with papaya, honey and oatmeal can do wonders for quick recovery of the sun damaged skin. Many healing enzymes of papayas can give it properties in order to heal sun damaged skin as well as irritated skin. On the other hand, honey traps moisture into the skin, so needed for the dry sunburned skin. In addition, an enzyme of honey also helps in repairing your damaged skin effectively. For the positive results, what you need to do:
- 1 cup of chopped papaya
- 2 tablespoons of oatmeal powder
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- If you own uncooked oats, you can grind them to powder tin order to get two tablespoons of it.
- Next mash the papaya in order to get its paste.
- Mix oatmeal powder, papaya mash and honey to create a smooth paste.
- Afterwards, apply this paste to the affected skin area.
- Leave for about half an hour.
- Rinse off with water.
12. Homemade Cream
Here are detailed instructions to make this homemade cream:
- 1 tablespoon of witch hazel
- 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel
- 3-4 teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ a cup of mint leaves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of water
- First of all, mix witch hazel, water and aloe vera gel
- Let it stay for around 2-3 hours.
- Now add mint leaves and baking soda to this mixture.
- You can take more baking soda if necessary to get the proper consistency.
- Mix well and then store in a jar.
- Maintain the cream in your refrigerator and then use when required.
13. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is also considered as one of the best natural sun damaged skin treatment home remedies. As witch hazel is high in catechins and tannins, it will give you a soothing relief from inflammation caused by sunburn. For the positive effects, you can use it as follows:
- Witch hazel
- Clean cloth or cotton ball
- Firstly, take the required amount of the witch hazel into one bowl.
- Soak the cloth or cotton ball into it.
- Then apply this to the sun damaged skin.
- You should repeat several times per day.
14. Lavender Essential Oil
Generally, essential oils containing analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties can soothe your sun damaged skin effectively. Lavender oil is one of the best choices. As lavender possesses healing and tissue regeneration properties, it can relieve sun damaged discomforts very fast. Here are step by step directions to use this oil for treating this problem:
- Make a lavender compress by pouring lavender oil (few drops) onto one clean damp washcloth. Later apply this compress to the affected areas and after a few minutes, gently rub it over the area for around 5 minutes. Allow the area cool down and finally wash it off using water.
- Alternatively, you mix lavender oil (a few drops) with aloe vera gel and then apply to your sun damaged skin.
- Another choice is to add lavender oil (few drops) in a water bowl to dilute it and then soak a cloth. Finally, place this cloth on the sun damaged skin.
Lettuce is a perfect sun damaged skin treatment. It contains fine analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. For the best results, you can do as follows:
- Get some leaves of lettuce and clean them properly.
- Boil these leaves of lettuce in water for around 15 minutes.
- Strain and allow this water to cool down.
- Once this lettuce boiled water cools down, and then soak a cotton ball or wash cloth in it.
- Apply this to the affected skin area and gently wipe your skin.
- You can repeat for multiple times in order to get relief from pain.
16. Homemade Spray
There are other oils such as Helichrysum oil that can also be applied for the sun damaged skin. It contains strong anti-inflammatory properties making it just the proper oil for sunburn relief. Here are easy steps that you can follow at home:
- 2-4 drops of lavender oil
- 1 drop of Helichrysum oil
- ½ teaspoon of aloe vera gel
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Dark spray bottle- 1
- Mix aloe vera gel, water and both the oils.
- Then store it in the spray bottle.
- Finally, when you spray on the sun damaged skin, just need to shake it a little.
Marshmallow is a good natural sun damaged skin treatment. The cool, slippery and soothing marshmallow root is one demulcent herb. Especially, its components mucilage, sucrose and pectin make it capable of forming one protective layer like covering that treats inflammation and pain as well. For the desirable results, what you need to do:
- Take marshmallow root (a handful). It taking the dried marshmallow root, two teaspoons is enough.
- Next to boil the root in water (1-2 cups) for around 10 minutes.
- Strain and allow it cool down.
- Dip a gauze in the water and now apply to your affected areas.
Using milk is also a simple sun damaged skin treatment. The fat, pH and protein present in milk contain a soothing and anti-inflammatory effect on your skin which can bring you comfort from various symptoms. To apply milk for treating sun damaged skin, here are detailed directions:
- Mix skim milk (one cup) with water (four cups). Add several ice cubes to this mixture.
- Immerse a clean cloth in this solution and then apply it to your sun damaged area for about half an hour.
- After that, gently pat dry the skin using a soft towel.
- You had better repeat this process every 4 hours for a couple of days till the irritation and pain subside.
- Apply lemon juice two times per day onto your sun damaged skin spots. Rinse well after allowing this juice to stay on the skin for about 15 minutes.
- Mix apple cider (one part) and onion juice (one part) from a squeezed, crushed onion. Then using a cotton ball, you apply the mixture directly onto your sun damaged skin. Leave the mixture on your skin for at least half an hour, then rinse. You should apply once a day for a minimum of 6 weeks for visible results.
- Using vitamin E directly on your skin helps nourish it as well as fade pigmentation issues. Simply, you just need to break open a capsule of vitamin E oil and then rub the contents onto the sun damaged skin. You should repeat this process two times per day.
- Eat more foods which are high in vitamin A. Vitamin A rich foods include eggs, fish and brightly colored vegetables. As you see, vitamin A is one natural antioxidant nutrient which promotes skin healing as well as slows accumulated damage and aging due to sunlight and environmental toxins. Alternatively, you can also use a vitamin A supplement, but only after consulting your family doctor.
- Make a homemade toner by combining freshly squeezed lemon juice (a tablespoon) in distilled water (a half-cup). Apply to your skin using a cotton pad and then let dry. Allow the toner on your skin or rinse off with warm water after half an hour to one hour, if wanted. Lemon juice contains natural alpha hydroxy and glycolic acids that help to exfoliate gently the superficial layer of the skin cells in order to improve uneven complexion and rough skin texture due to sun damage.
- Wear sunblock daily regardless of the skin color and whether it is sunny or raining. Make sure that your sunblock has both broad spectrum UVB and UVA protection in order to prevent sun damage. Regular wearing sunblock will help prevent reoccurring the skin damage as well as help in fading any previous sun damage.
- Use natural dark honey to the affected areas as a cleanser and rejuvenating mask. Spread one thin layer onto your skin and let it stay for around 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse off the honey using warm water and pat your skin dry. Dark honey has high levels of healing antioxidants which help decrease free-radical damage on your skin due to pollution, exposure to the sun and stress. They act by improving texture, moisture and tone in the skin.
Related articles in skin problems:
If you want to know more about natural skin care tips and at home remedies for skin problems, go to our main Skin Care page. After reading the article of top 18 natural sun damaged skin treatment & home remedies, hope that it can help you find out the best remedy to help treat sun damaged skin fast without any side effect. All these remedies are very effective in curing sun damaged skin. However, these solutions will take some time to treat the sun damaged skin but their results are long lasting. The writing is solely for the informational purpose and it is not intended to give medical advice. If you have any question, or you know another way for sun damaged skin treatment, please leave them below. Also, you can share the experience if you know any other sun damaged skin remedies to us.