A yeast infection is mostly caused by the microscopic fungi or yeast named Candida albicans. Yeast infection commonly affects to the vaginal area; however, it can also grow under the breasts, around dentures, nail beds, lower abdomen & beneath skin folds. A few common signs of having a yeast infection are burning, swelling, or itching around and in the affected area.
If you are looking for natural & safe treatments that help you get rid of a yeast infection quickly and easily without any side effect, then you should read this writing. In this article, AllRemedies.com reveals to you top 28 at home remedies for yeast infection symptoms that work for both men and women with a yeast infection. This writing listed the best solutions from reliable sources to treat yeast infection in the shortest time possible and prevent its reoccurrence. Nevertheless, the writing is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to discover these 28 at home yeast infection remedies in more detail!
Top 28 Natural At Home Remedies For Yeast Infection Symptoms
Here are 28 best natural yeast infection remedies you are looking for:
Cranberries are often referred to as a super food and at the top of the list thanks to their high nutrient & antioxidant content.
Cranberry has antifungal and antibacterial properties that can help you in fighting the fungi that are responsible for your yeast infection. In addition, cranberry can be used for treating urinary tract infection or other types of bladder infections. To apply cranberries for relieving yeast infection symptoms, here are step by step directions:
- You drink the unsweetened cranberry juice 3 to 4 times per day.
- The unsweetened cranberry juice will help you promote the healing process as well as produce the best results within a few days.
- You may take some cranberry tablets 2 or 3 times per day if the juice isn’t available. Besides, the cranberry tablet is always available at any natural health store.
2. Home Remedies For Yeast Infection – Boric Acid
The boric acid is known as a chemical substance that has mild antiviral, antiseptic & antifungal properties. To treat yeast infection by applying boric acid, you can follow the following directions:
- You dilute a little of boric acid with the cool water.
- Then you apply this solution onto your affected skin area
- Then you allow it to sit on your skin for some minutes.
- Then you can rinse off this area with water.
- You do this solution per day for about 2 weeks.
- If you want to deal with vaginal yeast infections, take the boric acid capsules
Pay attention: Because the boric acid may be toxic, so it cannot be used for a long time or taken internally. In addition, pregnant women should not use boric acid for treating their yeast infection.
Yogurt has lactobacillus acidophilus that can help you in controlling the development of yeast infection inside your body. To treat yeast infection, you should only use unsweetened, plain yogurt. Here are detailed instructions you can follow at home:
- Firstly, you can externally apply the plain yogurt onto your affected skin area
- Then you allow it to sit on your skin for about 30 to 40 minutes, or even overnight.
- The itching sensation will be relieved significantly for the first time of applying this solution.
- If you want to treat the vaginal yeast infection, you can dip a tampon into the unsweetened, plain yogurt
- Then you insert it into the vagina for 2 hours.
- You do this way 2 times a day.
- In addition, you can include unsweetened, plain yogurt in your daily diet plan.
4. Home Remedies For Yeast Infection – Coconut Oil
One of the easiest home remedies for yeast infection is applying coconut oil. This oil has antifungal properties, which can help you kill the fungi that are responsible for your yeast infection. Here are detailed instructions to use coconut oil for reducing yeast infection condition fast:
- You can externally apply the coconut oil onto your affected skin area 3 times per day.
- Alternatively, you can mix an equal amount of the cinnamon oil and coconut oil.
- Then you apply this mixture onto your affected skin area in order to manage the development of the infection.
- If you want to deal with oral thrush, you can swish the coconut oil into your mouth for about 5 to 10 minutes. In addition, you can mix some drops of the cinnamon oil or tea tree oil with coconut oil and then you swish this mixture into your mouth for about 5 to 10 minutes. You should not swallow. You need to do this way at least 3 times per day for the best results.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar Or White Vinegar
Both white vinegar and apple cider vinegar have some distinctive components, which can help you manage your yeast infection condition and remove the fungi causing it. Here are some easy steps to deal with a yeast infection using apple cider vinegar:
- You add 2 tbsp of the apple cider vinegar into 1 cup of the warm water
- Then you can drink this water 2 times per day for about 3 to 4 days.
- Alternatively, you prepare a hot shower or bath
- Then you add a little amount of vinegar into this bath water.
- You soak the body into this bath for at least 60 minutes.
- The itching & skin irritation will lessen soon.
- Another option is diluting apple cider vinegar or white vinegar with the plain water
- Then you apply it externally onto your affected skin area.
- You let it sit on your skin for about 30 minutes, and then you can rinse off the affected skin area with water.
Another home remedy for candida is using garlic. It is a well-known herb, which can be utilized to treat various ailments. Garlic has the antibacterial, natural antibiotic and antifungal components that are very good for curing any type of yeast infections. Here are detailed instructions to apply garlic for relieving yeast infection:
- You crush some garlic cloves
- Then you make a paste.
- Next, you can directly apply this garlic paste over your affected skin area. In case you don’t have fresh garlic, dilute the garlic oil with some drops of the coconut oil and vitamin e oil, and then you apply this mixture onto your affected skin area.
- Alternatively, you can consume some fresh garlic cloves per day or take some garlic tablets daily.
7. Home Remedies For Yeast Infection – Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains effective and powerful natural antifungal properties that may help to treat yeast infections. To apply tea tree oil for relieving yeast infection symptoms, here are step by step instructions:
- Dilute organic the oil with water or one teaspoon sweet almond oil or of olive oil.
- Apply the diluted oil over your affected skin area a few times a day.
- For treating a vaginal yeast infection, you should place tea tree oil (a few drops) on a tampon and then insert it into the vagina for about 2 to 3 hours.
- It is suggested to follow the process two times every day.
Note: Tea tree oil is not recommended for pregnant women as some of the properties of tea tree oil can be harmful to your child.
8. Oregano Oil
This oil is also one of the best home remedies for yeast infection due to its antifungal properties. In addition, it also is very effective for enhancing your immune system.
- Dilute oregano oil with olive oil and then apply this solution on your affected area.
- Alternatively, you can take oregano oil (one or two capsules) two times a day to give the solution to the problem.
You had better follow either of these remedies for several weeks to get rid of the yeast infection.
Calendula is also considered as one of the helpful home remedies for yeast infections due to its potent anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties. For the most beneficial results, what you need to do:
- Gently crush about two to three leaves of calendula.
- Then rub this crushed leaves topically onto your infected area. You should do this remedy at least two times a day.
- Calendula tea is also useful in curing yeast infections. Calendula tea is not recommended for pregnant women.
- You can use calendula ointment or lotion if fresh calendula is not available.
10. Olive Leaf Extract
Olive leaf extract is also one of the effective home remedies for yeast infections due to its antifungal, antiviral, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Furthermore, it also can maintain the good bacteria in the body. To use it for treating yeast infections, what you need to do:
- Finely chop a few fresh leaves of olive and next put them into one glass jar with one lid. Then pour vodka over these leaves till they are covered completely. Close this lid and keep this jar in a dark position for about 4 weeks.
- Then strain this liquid into the other glass jar.
- Apply this solution to your affected skin area.
- It is suggested to do this process three times a day in order to get best results.
If you want to discover other home remedies for yeast infections, keep reading this writing!
11. Home Remedies For Yeast Infection – Gentian Violet
Using gentian violet will also help to treat the yeast infection effectively and quickly. For the instant results, you can use it as follows:
- Dip the cotton swab in the gentian violet.
- Then insert and coat your vaginal walls.
- You should repeat this process to remove this infection.
12. Diet Plan
Suitable and healthy diet is also one of the main factors to prevent and cure the yeast infection. Avoid taking food which contains dairy, white flour, sugar, vinegar, fermented foods. Plus, also avoid alcohols (beer and wine) that are also fermented. Include vitamins and supplements which improve your immune system such as golden-seal, grapefruit extract, zinc, vitamin C, beta carotene etc. are suggested to add in your diet to remove the infection.
13. Grape Fruit Seed Extract
Grapefruit seed extract is also one of the excellent home remedies for yeast infection. The anti-fungal properties present in grapefruit seed combat the growth of yeasts and even other pathogens causing infection. Here are several detailed directions to use grapefruit seed extract for healing the yeast infection:
- Take plain water (two cups) and add grapefruit seed extract (5-10 drops) in it.
- Blend this mixture until the extract gets finely dissolved.
- Then use the solution for washing your vaginal area.
- You may also immerse a cotton ball in this solution and then apply it on your affected area.
- It is recommended to use this maximum thrice a day.
Note: You should consult a doctor before using this remedy. Refrain from using the solution during pregnancy and menstruation.
14. Home Remedies For Yeast Infection – Slippery Elm Powder
Using slippery elm powder is also another effective cure for the yeast infection. Especially, it can help relieve the irritation. For the optimal effects, you should use it as follows:
- To prepare a smooth paste, you add slippery elm powder in some water.
- Apply the paste directly on your infected area in order to get instant relief.
- Alternatively, you can also add slippery elm powder with refrigerated aloe vera juice. Soak a cotton pad in the mixture and then place it on your vagina. This way does not kill bacteria, but helps soothe irritation.
15. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves are also one of the helpful home remedies for yeast infection. Here are detailed instructions to use basil leaves that you can follow at home:
- Boil water (3-4 cups). After turning off the heat, combine ground basil (1¼ teaspoon) in this boiled water.
- Cover the container with one lid.
- Allow it to steep for a few times.
- When this water cools down, you gargle with this water
- You may also add maple syrup to improve the taste and then drink two cups every day.
16. Essential Oils
There are a lot of essential oils that contain strong anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. Grape seed oil, coconut oil, tea tree oil, all of them contain such properties that can treat your infection quickly and effectively. Below is a recipe to form a concoction using those essential oils along with one carrier oil so that you can get instant relief from your infection.
- 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil (carrier oil)
- 2-3 drops of tea tree oil
- 2-3 drops of cinnamon oil
- 2-3 drops of oregano oil
- 2-3 drops of peppermint oil
- 2-3 drops of lemon oil
- Mix all the oils.
- Store in a bottle.
- Using soaked cotton ball or droppers, apply this oil on your infected area.
- Allow it to sit there for several minutes.
- Wipe off with the help of clean soft cloth.
- It is recommended to do this remedy two times a day.
There are a lot of other healthy home remedies for yeast infection presented in this article, so continue reading!
17. Home Remedies For Yeast Infection – Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is a main ingredient in various skin care cosmetics nowadays. The soothing properties present in witch hazel make it an effective herb for dealing with various skin conditions. Especially, it contains an astringent property that helps keep the –pH balance of your skin. This quality of witch hazel will make this herb become an useful for candida. Here are detailed instructions to use witch hazel for reducing yeast infection condition fast:
- Boil a handful of witch hazel leaves in water for about 10-15 minutes and next allow this mixture to cool.
- Strain the mix and then discard the boiled witch hazel leaves.
- Rinse your affected areas of the body with witch hazel water repeatedly all the day.
- This remedy should be done about 5-6 times per day for 4-5 days to help recover from the infection completely.
Using probiotics is one of the most beneficial home remedies for yeast infection. What you need to do:
- Apply a powdered probiotic about 2-3 times every day away from anything antimicrobial. Plus, it can fight off the beneficial microbes. Before or after antimicrobial remedies, apply at least half an hour.
- Using a small bowl to pour about 1/4 teaspoon into it. You can crush tablets into powder.
- Immerse a clean finger into this powder and then apply to moist skin using a dabbing motion in order to help it stick.
- Try to secure your skin with one light layer. Allow on until you bathe or shower next.
19. Palmarosa Oil
One of the great home remedies for yeast infection is using palmarosa oil. Here are the simple instructions to prepare the right mixture in curing infections caused by yeast:
- Combine palmarosa oil (4 drops) with tea tree oil (2 drops).
- Mix thoroughly until these ingredients thicken slightly.
- Then this remedy will then be applied as a topical treatment on your affected area.
- You can see significant improvements in the condition in one week’s time.
Like garlic, onion may also be used to get rid of the distress caused by the yeast infection and also reduce the candida yeast as well. For desirable results, you can use it as follows:
- Just gently heat the pieces of onion.
- Then, place this onion close to your affected area.
- Onion fumes will reach your skin and start working against the pathogens.
- Alternatively, you had better also include some onions in your diet.
21. Home Remedies For Yeast Infection – Neem
Ground neem leaf paste is also one of the excellent home remedies for yeast infection. For the better results, what you need to do:
- Prepare one slurry of neem leaves in water (a small amount).
- Crush these leaves and then add a bit of water to make a slurry (like a semi-solid paste).
- Then apply it on your infected skin. You only need to follow this process about once or twice a day. Finally, wash it with warm water.
As you know, water is very necessary for our health. Thus, it is also one of the great and popular home remedies for yeast infection. Simply, you should drink at least 8 – 10 glasses of water every day to help you go for frequent urinating. However, you need to drink the pure water.
23. Harad Herb
Using this herb is also one of the effective home remedies for yeast infection. Here are detailed instructions to use harad herb for reducing yeast infection condition quickly:
- Mix dried harad powder (1 teaspoon) into one glass of water.
- Drink it before bedtime at night.
- Continue this remedy for at least three days in order to get rid of irritation and itching due to yeast infection.
- Don’t use it for kids.
24. Home Remedies For Yeast Infection – Sitz Bath
A sitz bath also is helpful remedy for the yeast infection. Water is filled in a special basin in this bath, and it is stood on a toilet seat. Then water is approved to overflow into this toilet bowl. To ease burning, itching, and swelling, add baking soda (1 cup) (or vinegar) in the basin. After that, add Epsom salt. Finally, sit in it for some minutes for instant results.
25. Herbal Douche
For the best results, you need to mix one tablespoon tinctures each of thuja, lavender, calendula and chamomile. Then pour the mixture into 1/3 cup of hot water. After that, transfer the lukewarm water to a douche bulb. Next lay down in your bath tub and insert gently douche bulb in the vagina. Let the liquid flow in your walls of vagina. This process will help you remove irritation and inflammation.
Honey may be also considered as one of the most popular and helpful home remedies for yeast infection due to its anti viral and anti bacterial properties. For the expected effects, you need to spread a big amount of honey over your infected area and next let it saturate. Allow it on for about 10 to 15 minutes. Finally, take a bath or a shower to clean it. Make sure you dry everything very well. You can follow this remedy till the symptoms are gone
27. Home Remedies For Yeast Infection – Hydrogen Peroxide 3%
Using hydrogen peroxide 3% would also rank among the most natural and effective and home remedies for yeast infection. For the best result, you should mix 3% hydrogen peroxide (one teaspoon) with 1 cup of water. Then use this remedy as a natural douche about once a day till the symptoms go away. Finally, clean and dry carefully.
28. Wear Loose Clothing
This remedy is one of the easiest and simplest home remedies for yeast infection. It acts effectively as yeast fungus loves moist, warm environments. Wearing loose-fitting underwear and clothing prevents the growth of fungus as well as keeps oxygen moving. It is recommended to try organic cotton clothing.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 28 at home remedies for yeast infection symptoms, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of yeast infection fast without any side effect. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other home remedies for yeast infection, please leave them below.