Swollen lymph nodes in the neck and throat commonly cause some symptoms such as sore throat, running nose, fever and night sweats. The conditions are usually painful. In this article, AllRemedies.com has listed top 30 home remedies for swollen lymph nodes in neck and throat without any side effect. These treatments will help you reduce the swelling and pain associated with enlarged lymph nodes. This writing listed the best treatments to get rid of the swollen lymph nodes problem from reliable sources. Nevertheless, it is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to discover these 30 at home swollen lymph nodes remedies in more details!
Top 30 Home Remedies For Swollen Lymph Nodes In Neck And Throat You Should Know
Lymph nodes, small glands throughout the body, are the important part of the lymph system. Lymph nodes are responsible for carrying fluid, waste material, and even nutrients throughout the bloodstream and body tissues. Whether the immune system functions well or not, it depends on the ability of the lymph system. When the lymph fluid travels through the bloodstream and body tissues, the lymph nodes can filter this fluid and make sure that all viruses, bacteria, and other foreign substances are trapped and then destroyed by lymphocytes, special white blood cells. Although lymph nodes are in many parts of the body, the ones in the groin, neck and underarms can be easily felt. When a problem such as an infection, injury or tumor appears near the lymph node area, the lymph nodes may be swollen. The location where the lymph nodes are swollen can identify which health problems you are suffering. For example, a common cold or sore throat may result in swollen lymph in your neck, behind your ears or under the jaw. Swollen glands in the armpits are caused by an infection or injury in the hand or arm. In rare cases, swollen lymph nodes in the armpits may be the symptom of lymphoma or breast cancer. The swollen lymph nodes in the groin may be a result of an infection or injury in the leg, foot, genitals, and groin. In rare cases, the glands in the groin are swollen because of lymphoma, testicular cancer, or melanoma. If the glands located above the collarbone are swollen, the cause may be a tumor or infection in the breasts, lungs, abdomen, or neck.
In order to treat swollen lymph nodes effectively and successfully, you need to identify the cause of this problem. For instance, if your swollen lymph nodes are caused by bacterial infection, you can use antibiotics. Viral infection can heal on its own without medications or drugs. If you suspect that swollen lymph nodes are caused by cancer, you should meet a doctor immediately to get a diagnosis. Moreover, if it is not caused by serious health condition, you can treat it with a variety of home remedies for swollen lymph nodes. The symptoms of swollen lymph nodes such as sore throat, running nose, fever and night sweats can disappear when an initial infection is treated. The swollen lymph nodes in the affected areas may decrease in size within several weeks. However, if you try home remedies and medications but do not see any improvement for about one month, you should meet a doctor for a check.
Do you want to know natural ways that can help to make the lymph nodes turn to normal size? If yes, please read the article below to know more.
Here are 30 best natural home remedies for swollen lymph nodes in neck and throat you are looking for:
1. Warm Compress
We all know that warm compress is the great relief for swelling. Therefore, if you look for the best natural home remedies for swollen lymph nodes, you should not ignore the warm compress. Applying the warm compress to the affected areas, you utilize the hot temperature to boost the blood circulation and the blood flow. As a result, a warm compress can give you the significant relief from the pain and the swelling.
- A clean washcloth
- A large bowl of hot water
- Soak the clean washcloth in the hot water
- Remove the excess water
- Place this washcloth on your affected areas for about 5 to 10 minutes
- Repeat this treatment daily to get the satisfactory result
In addition to placing warm washcloth to the swollen lymph nodes, you can wash your affected areas with warm water several times a day to fasten the healing process.
One of home remedies for swollen lymph nodes I would like to introduce in this article is massaging.
Massage not only improves the blood circulation but also boost the function of lymph nodes.
If you massage for a period of them, the swelling can reduce and lymph nodes can decrease in size. Moreover, massage can remove the impurities from the nodes. You just need to massage the lymph nodes gently with your fingers for about 5 minutes. It is recommended repeating this treatment two or three times a week to get the satisfactory result. You can do it at home. However, it is better to hire a professional for a lymph drainage massage. If the massage does not give you the improvement, you should be checked by a doctor.
3. Castor Oil
In order to treat swollen lymph nodes, you can use castor oil. Its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties can help to reduce the swelling in these glands.
Using castor oil can boost the flow of lymph throughout the bloodstream and body tissues. Moreover, this oil can remove the toxins and foreign substances from the system. Using castor oil for one week can reduce the swollen lymph nodes to the normal size. Moreover, castor oil may fasten the healing process by boosting your immune system.
- Castor oil
- A washcloth
- Hot water
- Rub some castor oil on the affected areas gently for about 5 minutes
- Soak a washcloth in hot water and squeeze the washcloth to remove the excess water
- Place this warm washcloth to the swollen areas for about 5 to 10 minutes
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water
- Repeat this remedy twice daily for one week in order to get the satisfactory result.
Cleavers are also known as sticky weed and goosegrass. Many herbalists approve the use of cleavers as one of home remedies for swollen lymph nodes. Cleavers are effective in boosting the function of the lymphatic system and reducing the swelling.
Here are the ways that help you to treat swollen lymph nodes with cleavers
- Add 2 teaspoons of cleavers into a cup of hot water. Let it steep for 10 minutes. Strain the solution. Drink this tea two or three times daily for a week to see the noticeable improvement.
- Mix 20 to 30 drops of cleavers tincture in a glass of water. Consume it daily.
This herb may be avoided if you are suffering from a certain health problem or are taking certain medications. Therefore, you should consult your doctor carefully before taking this therapeutic herb.
Lemon, a useful fruit, has been used for many health, beauty, and medicinal purposes. Lemon juice can help to heal sore throat and thin the mucus. Moreover, you can use lemon to treat swollen lymph nodes. This fruit is always available in the market.
Here are the ways on how to treat swollen lymph nodes with lemon.
- Add a teaspoon of honey, a little lemon juice into a glass of warm water. Drink it in the morning and before bedtime.
- Mix lemon juice with warm water and gargle this solution
- Cut a lemon in a half. Shrink salt and pepper over the surface of the lemon. Lick it.
It is recommended repeating these lemon remedies several times a day until the symptoms of swollen lymph nodes disappear completely.
Read more: lemon for dark circles
Spirulina is loaded with antioxidants, B vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids and other nutrients that are necessary for the health. These nutrients make spirulina become one of the best home remedies for swollen lymph nodes you should know. Omega 3 fatty acids and anti-inflammatory properties of spirulina can alleviate the symptoms of swollen lymph nodes effectively. You can buy the organic spirulina in the market and make spirulina smoothie at home. Drinking this smoothie every day can help to improve the swollen lymph nodes within one week. Alternatively, you can take spirulina capsules after consulting a doctor carefully.
7. Panax Ginseng
Ginseng has been used as an ancient Indian and Chinese remedy that can help to treat many health conditions, particularly the flu and common cold. As I mentioned before that, the flu and common cold are often accompanied by swollen lymph nodes. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, American ginseng is effective in treating colds and relieve the accompanied symptoms such as swollen lymph nodes and fever.
You can find ginseng available in powdered form, capsules or a liquid extract. It is recommended taking 400 mg of ginseng dose daily for one week to treat the cold, flu, and swollen lymph nodes completely.
Many studies have proved the safety of the use of ginseng in the treatment for acute health problems. However, it is still important for you to consult a health practitioner to make sure that you use this remedy for swollen lymph nodes properly.
8. Mullein Leaves
An infected lymph gland can result in a sore throat and pain. Both the flower and leaves of mullein plant is used as a key ingredient in medicine for many acute ailments. Mullein is effective in treating whooping cough, bronchitis, tuberculosis, pneumonia, hoarseness, colds, fever, flu, and sore throat. The chemicals found in mullein are beneficial in fighting against the viruses and bacteria. Therefore, when we look for the best home remedies for swollen lymph nodes, you should not ignore Mullein leaves.
- Some mullein leaves
- A jar
- Boiling water
- Cut the mullein leaves
- Put them in a jar
- Pour a cup of boiling in this jar
- Let it steep for a few minutes
- Let it cool down
- Drink three cups of this solution daily for one week to cure the sore throat and swelling effectively.
9. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil has a powerful ability to treat many health problems such as respiratory problem, indigestion, nausea, headache, and stomachache. Moreover, peppermint oil is also considered as a great pain relief. Peppermint oil is rich in nutrients and minerals such as iron, manganese, magnesium, folate, calcium, copper and potassium. Peppermint oil also has a great source of vitamin A, omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin C. For the swollen lymph nodes, applying peppermint oil can soothe the lymph nodes and kill the bacteria causing pain in your glands. You just need to massage the affected swollen areas with few drops of peppermint oil.
10. Plantain And Raspberry Leaves
Plantain and raspberry leaves have been used for medicinal purposes. These leaves 1
- Cut some plantain and raspberry leaves into fine pieces
- Steep these leaves in a cup of boiling water for a few minutes
- Strain the water
- Drink two cups of this solution daily for one week to treating the infections causing the swollen lymph nodes
11. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is one of home remedies for swollen lymph nodes because it can work as a natural stimulant. It can reduce the symptoms of swollen lymph by boosting the resistance. To get a significant relief, it is recommended drinking cayenne pepper tea
- 1/2 tablespoon of powdered cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 glass of warm water
- Add powdered cayenne pepper and honey into a glass of warm water
- Consume 3 cups of this solution daily for one week to reduce the symptoms of swollen lymph nodes
Read more: Honey for skin
12. Tea Bags
We all know that when tea bags are applied to the eyelids, it can reduce the dark circles around the eyes. Moreover, tea bags are effective in alleviating swelling; therefore, tea bags are also considered as one of effective home remedies for swollen lymph nodes you should know in this article.
- Take some tea bags
- Soak it in hot water for a few minutes
- Apply it to the affected areas
- Repeat it three times daily for one week to get the satisfactory relief
13. Yoga And Exercise
Yoga and Exercise are recommended including in your daily routine. It is a great idea to exercise at least 30 minutes a day. You do not need to go to a gym or pour any expense for the exercise program or yoga lesson. Jogging, skipping or basic exercises can bring you a plenty of health and beauty benefits. There are a lot of videos that instruct how to practice yoga on Youtube. You can search them easily. Yoga and exercise are proven to boost flexibility and resolve the contraction and expansion of the muscles. You should combine home remedies for swollen lymph nodes with exercise to boost the function of the lymphatic system. Postures and exercises that can help to improve this condition include inverse pose, lion face, jumping jack, downward-facing dog, brisk walking, and jogging.
Exercises and yoga are generally effective in treating swollen lymph nodes in neck
You should search for the guidance of a professional when you want to perform yoga.
14. Hot And Cold Bath
It is recommended trying hot and cold bath alternately to improve swollen lymph nodes. Cold water is considered as an effective pain relief while the warm bath is effective in boosting the blood circulation and the blood follow. This method can give you the significant improvement in this condition quickly. You should do this method on a daily basis.
Nutmeg is used as a spice in many dishes. This common spice is well-known for its aphrodisiac properties and wonderful aroma; therefore, nutmeg has many health benefits. People have utilized nutmeg for centuries.
Nutmeg treats the symptoms of swollen lymph nodes by boosting the flow of lymphatic fluid and improving the immunity. Moreover, nutmeg contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help to alleviate armpit lump.
- 1 tablespoon of nutmeg powder
- A cup of hot water
- Add nutmeg powder into a cup of hot water
- Add one tablespoon of honey to taste
- Drink it daily for one week to treat swollen lymph nodes effectively
Onion is one of effective home remedies for swollen lymph nodes. You just need to squeeze the juice from a grated onion. Alternatively, you can add grated onion into your salads if you do not want to eat it raw or drink its juice.
17. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is known as an essential vitamin that can help to treat many skin problems. Vitamin E deficiency can lead to many skin problems and even swollen lymph nodes. Therefore, it is recommended including vitamin E rich foods such as safflower, wheat germ, peanuts, soybean oil, almond, etc… in your daily diet. Unfortunately, not many people can consume enough vitamin E through their diet. If you have vitamin E deficiency, you can take vitamin E supplements. Asking for the home remedies for swollen lymph nodes, you should not ignore vitamin E.
If you want to take vitamin E supplements, you should consult a doctor first.
Read more: vitamin for dry skin
18. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is well-known for its amazingly moisturizing properties; therefore, both application and consumption of coconut oil can help to boost the healing process. Moreover, coconut oil is loaded with antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties that can help to alleviate armpit lump. The use of coconut oil can help to
Here are the ways that can help you to treat swollen lymph nodes with coconut oil
- Use sufficient amount of coconut oil to massage your swollen areas
- Consume 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin coconut oil each day
19. Aloe Vera
Because aloe vera contains antibacterial and anti-inflammation properties, application of aloe vera can ease the pain caused by swollen lymph nodes.
- A piece of aloe vera
- A piece of cloth ( you can use a gauze alternatively)
- Squeeze the gel from the piece of aloe vera
- Apply this gel to your affected areas
- Use a piece of cloth to cover these areas
- Let it sit for about 20 to 30 minutes
- Repeat this treatment two or three times a week
Read more: benefits of aloe vera
Menthol found in mint contains cooling properties. Therefore, if you use mint as one of home remedies for swollen lymph nodes, it can ease the pain and swelling caused by swollen lymph nodes and give you a significant relief.
Here are the ways that can help you to treat swollen lymph nodes with mint
- Add two tablespoon of dried mint leaf powder into a cup of hot water. Let this solution steep for a few minutes. Drink it slowly
- Extract the juice from fresh mint leaves. Consume two cups of this mint juice twice a day for one week
- Apply peppermint oil to the swollen areas three times daily to alleviate swelling
Each mint solution should be repeated several times a day for one week to treat swollen lymph nodes completely.
21. Chamomile Tea
The flower of this herb is also effective in treating swollen lymph nodes if you use it to make the tea.
- Add some chamomile flower in a cup of hot water
- Cover it and let it steep for 5 to 7 minutes
- Strain this water
- Add honey to taste
- Consume two or three cups of chamomile tea daily
If you cannot find chamomile flower available, you can utilize chamomile tea bags alternatively.
22. Lavender And Tea Tree Essential Oil
Both lavender and tea tree essential oil contain antibacterial, antispasmodic, antiseptic and antimicrobial properties; therefore, the combination of tea tree essential oil and lavender is effective in curing swollen lymph nodes.
- A few drops of lavender and tea tree essential oil
- A small bowl of hot water
- A tower
- Add a few drops of lavender and tea tree essential oil into a small bowl of hot water
- Use a towel to cover your head
- Inhale this steam for about 15 to 20 minutes
- Repeat it daily
Echinacea is a popular home remedy for swollen lymph nodes in the neck and throat. It contains strongly anti inflammatory
and antimicrobial properties. Using Echinacea can help to strengthen the function of the lymph system, fight the infection causing swollen lymph nodes and purify the lymph nodes and blood.
Here are the ways that help you to treat swollen lymph nodes with Echinacea
- Apply Echinaceaointment or cream to the swollen areas two or three times a day for about one week to reduce swelling
- Drink 2 cups of Echinacea tea daily for one week
- Take 300 mg of Echinacea supplements twice daily for no more than one week after consulting your doctor.
For best results, you can use its capsule or add to juice. It is recommended to use 300 mg repeated three times a day.
Never use Echinacea remedy for more than one week. Even though the symptoms of swollen lymph nodes do not improve, you still stop taking. Patients with autoimmune disorders need to avoid this herb.
Honey has many health and beauty benefits. When you suffer from sore throat, you can consume honey to get a significant relief. Honey can be used as an excellent substitute for sugar to add sweetness in a variety of drinks and beverages. Moreover, honey can be applied topically to your skin to make your skin glowing and smooth. But not many people know that honey is one of the best home remedies for swollen lymph nodes in neck and throat.
Here are the ways that help you to treat swollen lymph nodes with honey:
- Add 2 tablespoons of organic honey and a sufficient amount of fresh lemon juice into a glass of warm water. Drink it twice daily in the morning and before bedtime to get a significantrelief.
- Combine honey and hot tea. Tea can work as a natural relaxant. Put one tablespoon of honey into a cup of hot tea. Drink it once daily until the symptoms of swollen lymph nodes in the neck and throat disappear completely
Take a little honey and apply it to swollen areas for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water. Repeat this treatment two or three times a day to reduce swelling effectively.
Also, one of the best home remedy for swollen lymph nodes is using honey and hot tea. Tea acts as a local relaxant while honey helps subside the swelling. You just need to add 1 tsp of honey into your cup of tea, and you drink it once a day for some days.
Garlic is also considered as a great home remedy for swollen lymph nodes due to its anti inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Especially, garlic can help reduce swelling and pain caused by swollen lymph nodes.
Garlic is considered as the antibiotic food that can help to cleansethe symptoms, relieve the symptoms and fasten the healing process.
Here are the effective ways that help to treat swollen lymph nodes with garlic.
- Consume 2 or 3 raw garlic cloves daily for one week
- Add crushed garlic cloves to your daily meals. It can help to enhance the food flavor and relieve the symptoms of swollen lymph nodes. Regular consumption of garlic has many health benefits.
- Take garlic supplements daily. Before, taking you should consult your doctor carefully to avoid wanted side effects.
For positive effects, you should eat some garlic cloves every day. Another option is to swallow about 6 pills of garlic supplements daily for optimal results.
26. Salt Water Gargle
This remedy is also good for treating swollen lymph nodes in neck and throat. If the swollen lymph nodes are caused by throat infection, a salt water gargle is effective in relieving the inflammation and swelling in swollen lymph nodes in the neck.
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of warm water
- Dissolve salt in warm water
To see good results, you need to dissolve salt (half a teaspoonful) in a cup of hot water and then use this mixture to gargle. It is suggested to repeat several times daily for optimal results. You just need to gargle this salt water several times daily for a week, the symptoms of swollen lymph nodes in the neck can disappear. This will help the swollen lymph nodes reduce in size and decrease swelling.
27. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is one of effective home remedies for swollen lymph nodes in the neck and throat
that I would like to introduce in this article. Apple cider vinegar can help to control the PH level of your body by creating an alkaline environment. Moreover, apple cider vinegar contains antibacterial properties that are effective in treating any infection. We all know that infection is a possible cause of swollen lymph nodes
Here are natural ways that help you to treat swollen lymph nodes with apple cider vinegar:
- Mix a sufficient amount ofunfiltered apple cider vinegar (about one tablespoon) in the warm water. Dip a washcloth in this solution and then place it on the swollen areas for about 5 minutes. After that rinse it off with lukewarm water. Repeat this treatment once or twice daily for one week to treat swollen lymph nodes successfully.
- Mix one tablespoon of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water. Add a little organic honey into this solution. Consume it twice daily in the morning and before bedtime.
For positive results, you need to mix apple cider vinegar (one tablespoon) in one glass of filtered water. You should consume this mixture before breakfast. It is recommended to follow this remedy every four hours thereafter.
Turmeric is the therapeutic herb that has been widely used to treat many health problems and disease. Moreover, turmeric is very good for treating swollen lymph nodes in neck and throat thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. These properties of turmeric can help the body fight against the infection that causes swollen lymph nodes. Using turmeric can fasten the healing.
Here are natural ways that help to treat swollen lymph nodes with turmeric:
- Mix one tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of turmeric powder to create a paste. Place this paste on the swollen areas. After 10 minutes, rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this treatment once or twice daily for about one week.
- Mix turmeric powder with pepper powder and then add this mixture into a cup of milk. Boil this solution. After that, add a little sugar or honey to make it taste sweeter. It is recommended consuming this solution before bedtime
- Use turmeric gargle by mixing 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric in a cup of warm water. Gargle this solution three times daily
- Make turmeric tea. Steep one inch of fresh turmeric root in 2 cups of boiling water for about 15 minutes. Strain this tea. Sip it slowly three times daily to get the satisfactory result.
- Take turmeric supplements after consulting your doctor carefully.
For desirable results, you need to add a pinch of pepper powder and turmeric powder in a cup of milk and then boil it. You can add a little sugar for taste. You had better consume this mixture before going to bed. Another option is to use turmeric as a gargle. First step is mixing turmeric (1/2 teaspoon) in one cup of warm water. Then gargle some times every day. The next choice is to make tea. You boil one inch fresh turmeric root piece in 2 cups of water for about 15 minutes. Strain this mixture and then drink this tea2 – 3 times per day for instant results.
Read more: benefits of turmeric
Using peppermint is also an excellent home remedy for swollen lymph nodes in the neck and throat. For positive results, you can drink a fresh juice that is extracted from mint leaves.
30. Additional Tips
a. Take lukewarm water (one cup) and then add two teaspoons of honey and some fresh lemon juice. Next to, mix it well and drink the solution.
b. Take one glass of water and add one teaspoon of sea salt & one teaspoon of baking soda. Then mix them well. It is recommended to drink this mixture once in a day.
c. Boil an equal amount of both basil leaves and cinnamon (2 teaspoons) in water (3 cups) for about 10 – 15 minutes. Next to sieve this mixture and then sip the mixture in small sips. You had better consume it three times per day.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 30 home remedies for swollen lymph nodes in neck and throat, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of your swollen lymph nodes condition quickly and easily. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other home remedies for swollen lymph nodes, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible.