Living a healthy life is what most people expect, however, there must be unexpected diseases or symptoms attacking you without waiting for your willingness and such symptoms not only leave negative influences on your physical health but also hinder your daily routine much. Sinusitis, also known as sinus infection is a typical disease like that. People usually catch sinusitis when getting cold or allergies. Specifically, sinusitis occurs when there appear the blockage and the inflammation of the sinuses. During normal time, your sinuses are filled with air, however, when having sinusitis, the nasal passages will be covered with the fluid containing bacteria, fungi and viruses which can lead to infection easily. The most significant symptoms of sinusitis are the loss of smell, constant cough, facial pain, headache, nasal stuffiness and discharge. There are different types of sinusitis that are acute sinusitis, subacute sinusitis, chronic sinusitis and recurrent sinusitis. However, no matter what kinds of sinusitis you may get, you must extremely long for its relief as soon as possible. That’s why you should take advantages of natural home remedies to treat sinusitis thoroughly and to bring back comfort again for your nose.
There is a large number of natural remedies that can help you to relieve inflammation as well as clear the mucus away and eliminate the infection. Using natural remedies and exploiting the highest effect of them, your sinusitis will soon be controlled and you won’t be worried about being affected by chemical harm or toxins from medication. If you are constantly attacked by sinusitis while you don’t have enough time to go out for doctor’s advice, it will be best if you can utilize what you have around or in your house to soothe your sinusitis pain. But, you are wondering about which remedy is the safest and most effective for your sinusitis? Then, you should read this article, All Remedies is going to show you 35 best natural home remedies for sinusitis relief that you can pick the best choice from to combat with sinusitis thoroughly at home. Hopefully, after applying some of the following treatments, your sinusitis will be eliminated and your nose will maintain healthy all the time. However, even though such remedies are totally natural, your body may be allergic to some properties in them, so make sure you find the most appropriate way for your sinusitis or go to see doctor for more advice before applying any of the following treatments.
Actually, in relieving sinusitis, there are natural ways both using herb and performing home actions, you can choose either of them or combine them to get your sinusitis relieved as soon as possible.
35 Best Natural Home Remedies For Sinusitis Relief
1. Utilize Spice As An Optimal Choice For Sinusitis
Perhaps it is one of the most commonly used home remedies for sinusitis. As you may know, one of the characters of sinusitis is the congestion of breath caused by thick mucus. To deal with this hard situation, for many years, people have been utilizing spice or spicy foods as a temporary solution to soothe sinusitis. You may not know that spicy food is an ideal way to open your nose and hit your mouth. Actually, it is considered a great remedy to cure sinusitis that you may be interested in. In the New York Times, spicy foods are noted to be able to help eliminate sinus infection well. Actually, you can easily find spicy foods anywhere because such foods as mustard, horseradish, curry, wasabi, hot peppers and even peppermint are always available around you. You can eat them daily or whenever you are annoyed by sinusitis. Alternatively, you can add spice as flavor to your meal to absorb it more easily. By doing so, you must be very surprised with what spicy foods could do for your sinusitis. Immediately, your breath will become normal again, and your sinusitis will be reduced remarkably.
If you are not satisfied with this remedy and want more natural home remedies for sinusitis, keep going on with this article.
2. Take Grapefruit Seed Extract Solution Each Day
Among the other best natural home remedies for sinusitis, grapefruit seed extract is also very beneficial when you have to face with sinusitis for a long time. You can get grapefruit seed extract from ground dried grapefruit seeds and their pulp. It is a natural herb, which can reduce infection effectively. GSE can be utilized in many forms. Under the nasal spray form, it can help to eliminate thick mucus, at the same time, prevent microbial contaminants from growing on inflamed and weakened sinus tissues. Taking use of GSE on a regular basis, your sinusitis will be controlled and you will experience more comfortable feeling. Follow the steps below for more information:
- First, you need to take about 5 drops of GSE
- Put it in 6 ounces of water
- Mix it well together and drink it 2 times per day
As you have to suffer from heavier symptoms that GSE doesn’t help you out, you should consult doctor’s advice immediately.
3. Make Tea From Turmeric And Ginger Root
To combat with sinusitis, utilizing turmeric or ginger root is also a great idea. If you are confused about what are the best natural home remedies for sinusitis that may suit you, you should take some turmeric to soothe your sinusitis now. It contains so many beneficial properties that may help relieve sinusitis thoroughly. The first impression of turmeric is that it is a common fragrant spice that is universally used in some meal serving people in India and Middle East. Once again, a spicy ingredient is introduced to you with the hope of mitigating sinusitis as soon as possible. It is found with a high content of natural anti-inflammatory curcumin and also a great antioxidant. People may extract this kind of spice by combining it with ginger root or brewing it to make hot sage tea. When being combined together, this solution can make mucus get out of clogged nasal passages, calm sinus pain and pressure and bring about better feeling to yourself. One more advantage of ginger root is calming upset stomach which is a side effect of excessive sinus drainage.
To make effective turmeric and ginger root tea for sinusitis, you have to prepare 8 ounces of hot water, 1 tablespoon of raw honey, juice of ½ lemon, 1-2-inche piece of ginger, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon, pinch ground cayenne pepper. What you have to do is just mix all the ingredients in a glass with hot water and let it steep for a few minutes. Then you stir them slowly and drink it. You sinusitis situation will certainly be improved.
4. Try Any Forms Of Apple Cider Vinegar
Talking about ACV means talking about a multifunctional ingredient as it is not only applied to many basic health problems but also among the best natural home remedies for sinusitis. It can help to clear out the thick mucus in your nasal passage, beside does away with a stuffy nose. There are many ways for you to exploit ACV for your sinusitis.
With the first choice, you need to prepare 2 tablespoons of ACV, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 cup of warm water.
- Add honey into ACV poured in a glass
- Pour warm water into it and mix it well
- After that, drink this solution twice or three times per day to get away with sinusitis fast.
Trying the second remedy, you need to prepare ¼ cup of ACV, 16 ounces of water
- You pour ACV into water and mix them well
- To get relief soon, sip the solution throughout the day
- You can even consume ACV capsule or tablet if you want
The last option is that you prepare ½ cup of ACV and ½ cup of water first
- You mix ACV with water together
- Heat this solution with stove for some minutes
- Finishing, you turn off the heat and let your nose inhale its steam with closed eyes and mouth
- Inhale the steam for a few minutes on a regular basis to be free from sinusitis soon
- To get positive result fast, you should use organic ACV instead of nonorganic.
5. Make Steam From Carom Seeds
Inhaling steam is among the typical home remedies for sinusitis, especially herbal steam.
In this approach, you will be exposed to a popular and old treatment that provides instant relief for the sinus infection and nasal congestion. The remedy takes advantage from carom seeds which are wonderful in thinning the mucus as well as supply smooth breath to you. The process of utilizing carom seeds is as followed:
- First, you need to mix 1 tablespoon of crushed carom seeds in boiling water
- Cover the boiling water with a lid preventing steam from escaping and let it steep for a few minutes
- After that, you inhale the steam with flavor of carom seeds
- Reapply this process for several times each day to make sure sinus infection is controlled
- You can even use peppermint oil instead of carom seeds to make steam to inhale. And remember to follow the process regularly.
6. Inhale With Oregano Oil
Another kind of oil, which is seen as among the best natural home remedies for sinusitis is oregano oil. With its anti-bacterial properties, it is usually extracted to promote the healing process, at the same time, congested nasal can be removed as well. Follow the guide for more details:
- You put some drops of oregano oil in water and boil it for few minutes
- When you are done, turn off the heat and inhale its steam
- Keep inhaling with your closed eyes for a few minutes
- Repeat the process until you get complete sinus relief
- Actually, oregano oil can not only be used to treat sinusitis but also improve biological functions and combat with infection.
7. Make Nasal Rinse From Garlic
Garlic is such a great ingredient if you are seeking for greatest natural home remedies for sinusitis. In many researches, garlic is proven to contain chemical compounds, which can kill bacteria, virus and fungal infections thoroughly. Because sinusitis is a bacterial infection, garlic will help to struggle with bacteria as well as cure sinusitis well.
The first choice for you is making steam from garlic
- You need to prepare 3-4 cloves of garlic first and some water
- You boil water in a pot for a few minutes
- As water appears to be boiled, you put the crushed cloves of garlic to it
- After a few minutes, you turn off the heat, use a washcloth or clean towel to cover the pot for the steam not to escape
- What you have to do now is inhale the steam from garlic, this will help thin the mucus supplying instant relief
- Reapply this method whenever you need.
The second choice is mixing garlic with turmeric to create soup or juice
- First, you boil water and add 2-1 cloves of garlic into it
- Then, you put ½ tbsp. of turmeric powder into it then mix it well
- Take a cup of this mixture and drink it on a regular basis until you see the better result of your sinusitis
The third option for you is that
- You can eat some fresh cloves of garlic as often as you can to get stuffiness and discomfort relief fast
- Or you can even combine garlic with pizzas or bread and then eat it to get rid of sinus infection
- But remember not to let children absorb garlic without the instruction of a doctor.
8. Take Fenugreek Seeds Each Day
When mentioning the most effective natural home remedies for sinusitis, it must be a big failure if you forget fenugreek seeds. They act as powerful soldiers to prevent the conquer of sinusitis attack with the help of anti-inflammatory property found in them. This makes a great benefit for you to cure sinus infection. The method is quite simple:
- Add some fenugreek seeds into a glass of water
- Mix it together and let it boil for a few minutes
- Leave it warm, then take this solution
- Repeat the process on a several basis until your sinus infection is cured
- But fenugreek seeds may have some side effect, therefore, you should ask for doctor’s help before taking it.
Use Eucalyptus Oil To Make Nasal Rinse
Trying to find the best natural home remedies for sinusitis and the result is not up to your expectation, that’s why you should take some eucalyptus oil to treat sinusitis effectively. With its apparent function, it not only kills bacteria causing sinus infection but also improves the respiratory system helping clear away your sinusitis situation fast. The process is described as followed:
- First, you need to put 1-2 drops of eucalyptus oil on a clean handkerchief
- Then, you inhale the scent from it to get sinusitis relief quickly
- Or you can also put some oil on your pillows so that when you go to sleep, inhaling the aroma from it can bring about your comfort and make your sleep tighter
- Continuous following this process several times until your sinusitis infection is controlled.
You can also utilize eucalyptus oil in other remedies such as dropping some eucalyptus oil or peppermint oil around the shower, then have the warm water turned up for you to feel it when having a bath.
Or if you like, you can try a traditional remedy which is putting some drops of eucalyptus oil in a pan of steaming or a small bowl filled with hot water. Then you wrap your head with a towel, inhale the steam that you have while closing your eyes. After sometimes taking this method, your swollen mucous membranes will be reduced remarkably and your sinusitis will be relieved fast.
10. Drink Hot Tomato Juice Daily
Tomato is a kind of fruit with so many positive utilities. It is not just used as a beauty tool, a coolant in hot weather but also among the most wonderful natural home remedies for sinusitis. It is proven to be rich with much vitamin A and anti-inflammatory property, which can reduce the mucous membranes thoroughly in the sinus cavity. Follow these steps for sinusitis relief soon:
- Firstly, you pour 1 cup of tomato juice in a saucepan then boil it
- At the same time, you add 1 tbsp. of chopped garlic, ½ tbsp. of hot sauce, 1 tbsp. of lemon juice and a pinch of celery salt into the tomato
- Mix all the ingredients well and continue to boil it for a few minutes more
- As you are done, drink this kind of solution at least 2 times a day to get away with the sinus infection.
If you are not interested in consuming tomato, you can find other home remedies for sinusitis in this article, which suits you best.
11. Inhale Onions Scent To Relieve Sinusitis
Another kind of must-have ingredient in every kitchen is Onion. Known for its sulfur content acting as antibacterial, it is not strange when considering it one of the best natural home remedies for sinusitis. To cure sinus infection, you should consume onion and so as the following instruction:
- You take an onion and have it chopped into small pieces
- Boil some water and put these pieces of onion into it
- Continue boiling for 5 minutes
- Then, when finishing, you pour it into a small bowl and start inhaling its steam
- You can inhale for some minutes and let your clogged nose and sinus infection be treated well
- One simple way for you is that you can cut a piece of onion and inhale its scent for a few minutes
- Repeat the above steps whenever you are annoyed by sinus infection
12. Make Saline Solutions
It is certain that whenever you are irritated by the sinus infection, you will need to use saline solution at least one time. If you want it so bad, it means that saline solution can be among the best home remedies for sinusitis. To make great saline solution for your sinusitis, keep following the guide below:
- First, you prepare a mug filled with ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- Then you pour 1-2 teaspoons of warm water in it and then mix it well
- You pour a glass of fresh water into the solution to fill the mug
- Be sure it is not too hot but lukewarm
- Then, you take a neti pot or nasal aspirator, put a tip in the solution and then fill it up
- After that, you tilt your head slowly and gently put the solution into one nostril
- Now let the solution get out from other nostril and it will clear up mucus in your nose
- Reapply this method for the other nostril to get rid of sinusitis and its symptoms thoroughly
But you should remember that this process must not be done before you go to bed because it may cause sinus drain into your ear leading to the ear infection.
13. Let Horseradish Help You Eliminate Sinusitis
In the above home remedies for sinusitis, spice and spicy foods are introduced to you to treat sinusitis. Among of them is horseradish, which can deal with congested nasal caused by sinusitis, this tip will show you the specific way to use horseradish to mitigate sinus infection:
- First, you cut a horseradish into small pieces
- After that, you put a piece of horseradish in your mouth
- You leave it there for few minutes in order to let its scent go into your sinus and kill bacteria causing mucus forming sinus infection
- If the flavor of grated horseradish disappears gradually in your mouth, you can swallow it to get rid of mucus in your throat.
- Continue using this remedy if it has good impact on your sinus infection
14. Drink Ginger Tea Regularly
Ginger is also a great ingredient that helps you to cure sinusitis effectively. With its high content of anti-inflammatory, it is widely used to calm the upset stomach. Towards sinusitis, ginger is also utilized as its smell is very good for nasal, it can make you feel more relaxed and your sinusitis will be reduced optimally.
- First, you cut a ginger into small slices
- You steep them in hot water for about 10 minutes
- After that, you strain and take it as tea
- Or you can even inhale its steam to get rid of sinus infection soon
15. Take Lemon Palm As Gargle
Lemon palm is also of the greatest natural home remedies for sinusitis because it contains many beneficial properties, which can fight against viruses causing the sinus infection. Follow the guide to get sinus relief:
- First, you prepare some dried lemon palm leaves
- Then, you boil them in water for 10 minutes
- You sieve the solution for a few minutes and take it as a gargle
- You use it to gargle at least 2 times a day to get rid of sinus infection fast.
16. Make Hot Soup To Cure Nasal Congestion
Making soup containing helpful ingredient for the nose is also of the greatest natural home remedies for sinusitis. Moreover, homemade soup is very safe and you won’t be worried about hygiene issue when buying it from other sources.
According to The New York Times, the most helpful kind of soup to cure sinus infection is chicken soup. It really helps to treat congestion nasal because the steam from is such an appealing thing to patients of sinusitis. It has been proven in some studies that ingredients from the soup may take anti-inflammatory effect on the sinus infection. You can try chicken soup if it works with you, or you can find other kinds of beverages with hot steam suitable for your nose such as ginger tea or hot honey-lemon tea. Both of them are steamy and can soothe the sinusitis effectively. You can add spicy flavor to your soup or beverage to enhance its strength on your sinus.
17. Supplement Yourself With Vitamin C
Vitamin C is a mineral that is very important to people’s health, especially when you are caught with sinusitis. When you are suffering from sinusitis, your immune system must be affected negatively. To boost your immune system to avoid unexpected symptoms as sinus, you should absorb more vitamin C. It is available around you under the forms of capsule, liquid, caplets,… and is considered one of the most wonderful OTC immune booster. Therefore, it is no doubt you should take some vitamin C to supplement your daily diet. It is also proven in some studies that it is really effective to strengthen immune system deficiency and enhance your health. In the end, once your immune system is enhanced, your sinusitis situation will be mitigated. For the best result, you should choose vitamin C supplement with Acerola content.
18. Apply Acupressure At Specific Points
To cure sinus infection, besides carrying out many of the above natural home remedies for sinusitis, you can even do some useful activities such as acupressure to reduce sinus pain or pressure. It is believed that when you try acupressure, your sinus infection will be reduced.
This can be carried out by applying pressure gently with your fingers’ pads on the both sides of your nose and on the eyebrows to mitigate the pain and promote the blood circulation to the membrane which is linked with the cavities. By doing so, the inflammation will be reduced and you will feel much better. But before applying pressure on your face, you need to find out the right pressure point to avoid unexpected pain or you can ask for help from specialists as well.
19. Take Enough Sleep
The sleep plays an important role in determining your health condition. Whether your health is good or bad depends on how your sleep is and how much time you sleep each day. The advice of sleeping enough seems to be simple but takes the best effect to your sinusitis.
You can sleep provided that your body is provided with better feeling to fight the infection. If you are too busy with your daily work and daily routine or you even can’t spare a little time for sleep, take a short nap between interval of the day, your body will be energized again. If you are suffering from irritation from sinusitis, then you find it hard to fall asleep due to congestion on nasal and pain, you should ask for help from vaporizer or humidifier covered with herbal scent, meanwhile, always have your head lie slightly elevated and keep your surrounding clean and ventilated. This action will bring about fresh air for you to breathe normally when you are sleeping. Last but not least, don’t hesitate to see a doctor if this way can’t help you out anyway.
20. Apply Bromelain For Sinusitis
Considered a supplement but of the good natural home remedies for sinusitis, Bromelain can be easily found in pineapple stems. Actually, it is a proteolytic enzyme used to fight against swelling symptoms. Furthermore, it has been widely used by Central and South American for many years as a treatment for indigestion and inflammation and was favored by the German Commission E to mitigate swelling as well as inflammation after surgery, especially sinus surgery. According to some researchers, Bromelain is believed to promote the relief and recovery process of sinusitis. In the view of the University of Maryland Medical Center, it is a good supplement that helps to cure a diversity of health conditions, especially efficient in limiting inflammation from injuries and infection. The Medical Center also emphasized that Bromelain can take effect as a soothing cough as well as nasal mucus, which is directly linked with sinusitis symptoms and it can calm the inflammation and swelling caused by hay fever. In general, using Bromelain is an ideal option that you should adopt to get rid of sinusitis quickly. When you choose for yourself suitable Bromelain, to make sure it doesn’t interact with other medications, ask for help from health care provider or doctor first.
21. Supplement Your Body With Enough Water To Be Hydrated Enough
Always keeping your body hydrated – it seems to be indispensable advice that every health consultant tells you whenever you are caught by critical health problems. It is not an exception with sinusitis. As some health providers have mentioned, once your whole body is healthy, every part on your body will be strong enough to prevent diseases attack. It means that when your body is hydrated enough, your sinusitis will have no place to shelter in your body. This method may be simple but really effective one in the list of the best home remedies for sinusitis.
You should make sure your body is complemented with enough water or you can drink a lot of water each day provided that it is not too much or too little. Or you can also consume juices without sugar, some hot tea and clear broth. Such fluids really help your body in various ways, particularly is good to eliminate sinusitis as it can moisten your sinuses. You should drink relative amount of water throughout the day, but keep far away from such kinds of water including much sugar, caffeine or alcohol because they can cause dehydration making your mucus become thicker and clog inflamed airways. The intake of water each day differs among people, but the gold rule is “taking at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day” to get keep nasal passage moist and prevent sinusitis. When your urine’s color is clear, it means that you are hydrated enough.
22. Relieve Sinus Pressure With Warm Or Cool Compress
As mentioned above, your nasal passage must be moist enough to avoid sinusitis. When you are getting sinusitis, it means that your nose is dehydrated, you should carry out remedy such as applying a warm compress to provide moisture to it. It is believed that with a warm and steamy compress placed on your face, sinusitis will be partially controlled. According to Dr.Lane, using warm compress will bring about comfortable feeling to your nose, moreover, using moist compress can provide your nose with helpful humidification and relief of the sinus pressure. In fact, you can choose either warm or cool compress to apply on your face, but warm compress is more favorable, apply it on your forehead, around your eyes which are affected directly by sinus infection strike and pain.
It is recommended by The American Academy of Otolaryngology that you should use a warm compress for about half an hour and reapply this step 3 times each treatment, for each treatment, perform it 6 times per day. Or you can even try another way which is filling in a pot with warm water, then place your face near over it with your head wrapped with a soft towel. What you have to do next, is inhaling steam from water. This action really makes you feel less irritated and your nose will be moistened relieving sinusitis well.
Last but not least, you should not ignore more serious symptoms, and once you have come across such symptoms as pain or swelling around your eyes, severe headache, swollen forehead, painful and stiff neck, shortness of breath, double vision, etc., don’t hesitate to go to see doctor immediately for more suitable treatments.
23. Keep A Humidifier Or Vaporizer Inside Your House
Humidifier or vaporizer is a necessary device that should be kept in your house if you wish to eliminate sinusitis soon. As you may know, one of the main reason that leads to sinus infection is because of the dehydrated atmosphere. To solve this problem, it is highly recommended to place a humidifier in your house or your room to provide enough moist to your space, but make sure it is clean enough to avoid mold allergies because a dirty humidifier can cause breed mold. One more attention is that you should keep the air not too dry and not too humid. When the environment is too humid, this can lead to mold growth, which can set off sinusitis. When the environment is too dry, your nose is likely to catch sinus if you are too sensitive. In general, keeping a humidifier in your bedroom during dry days really work best to wipe away sinusitis. In addition, you should pay attention to the humidity level in your house. According to expert, 35-50% humid in your house is good enough.
A vaporizer also an essential device during your sinusitis days as it can bring about comfort to your body. But you should also be careful in using this kind of device, not to use it on the other side of your room and make sure to clean it every day to prevent bacteria from growing in this device. You can breathe the mist from vaporizer, not the steam because the steam can make you hurt, so be sure the kind of vaporizer you are using just produce mist, not steam to keep you safe from being burn.
24. Apply Herbal Inhalation Or Aromatherapy For Sinusitis Relief
It can’t be denied that remedies using herb are always of the most effective and safest home remedies for sinusitis. To cure sinusitis, it is best if you can inhale the steam extracted from herb or natural sources. It can not only deal with your sinusitis thoroughly but also keeps you relaxed all the time.
In fact, if you can inhale the herbs or aromatherapy products including herbs such as eucalyptus, rosemary and peppermint may help you to kill bacteria on nasal and relieve the symptoms of sinus congestion quickly. However, the mechanism of this treatment is still not clear, according to Dr.Lane. But people still believe it is one of the most effective natural home remedies for sinusitis. For instance, you can inhale mint, which can provide you with cooling sensation linked with the air going through your nose as if it were open wide.
Herbal sources are always available around you and very safe. You can find them in the health store. So, if you are burdening sinus problem, you’d better take beads including peppermint, eucalyptus and lemongrass. Your situation will be improved fast.
25. Make Nasal Rinse
When you are getting sinusitis, you must not ignore such home remedies for sinusitis as a nasal rinse. And in this remedy, the neti pot is an essential tool that is highly recommended by health consultant because of its safe and natural way to eliminate nasal passages as well as treat sinus pressure. To start, you need to prepare some things and be sure they are not too much to avoid unexpected irritation:
- With each 8 ounces of water, you add in it ¼ tsp. of baking soda and ¼ tsp. of kosher. If your nostril is totally congested, you should add ¼ tsp. of vegetable glycerin
- Remember not to use too hot water or it can cause tenderness and irritated nasal tissue. You just should use boiled water or distilled water.
- With each nostril, you take a batch of water and follow the instruction of neti pot carefully
It is best for you if you can do this remedy 2 times per day, once when you wake up in the morning and once before you go to sleep at night. Before using the neti pot, remember to wash it carefully with hot water and soap and let it dry first.
26. Take Use Of Nasal Lavage
When taking nasal lavage, it means you will rinse your nasal passages. To do this method, you need to prepare a neti pot or a special squeeze bottle along with simple homemade saline solution (look at tip 12 for the way of making saline solution). According to U.S Food and Drug Administration, when you take nasal rinsing, the dust, dirt, pollen and debris will be removed thoroughly, at the same time thick mucus will be thinned as well. Besides, nasal rinsing can even help to reduce nasal symptoms of allergies such as flu and colds. In general, if you are in misery with sinusitis, you should follow the guide in this remedy to get relief from sinusitis soon:
- Have your head tilted sideways first
- Use your mouth to breathe, you let the spout of the container filled with saline get into your upper nostril and then pour it, then you let the solution go through your lower nostril
- Clear the nostril, repeat the process with the other nostril.
To take nasal rinsing, however, you should pay attention that you just should use distilled water and sterile which is initially filtered, boiled and cooled down. You must not use straight tap water, and make sure that the container you use is free from contaminants to avoid more infection.
27. Make Salt Water Rinse For Nasal Using Neti Pot
Salt is a safe and natural ingredient. Moreover, it has been used for thousand years as a hygiene solution to the nose, eye and mouth helping people a lot in hygiene task. You can also easily run into some medications using salt in drugstore and health store because of its great utility. Included in salt is a high content of anti-inflammatory properties, therefore, it is widely used to deal with problems relating to immune system deficiency. Towards sinusitis, you can try making salt water rinse for your nose. But you won’t use it directly to your nose but ask for the help of a Neti pot. If you do not have one, it’s time you buy one for yourself. This handy little device looks like Aladin’s lamp made from ceramic or plastic and can be found easily in many drugstores.
This kind of pot has one nostril to pour water in and the other to let steam out. To use it, you just need to pour saltwater that you prepared earlier into one nostril and let it do the rest thing, which is an irrigating nasal cavity, clearing out thick mucus and contaminants inhaled before. Neti pot not only helps to mitigate sinusitis situation but also flush out irritants contributing to sinusitis. Remember to use Neti pot 2 times for the best result.
28. Keep Far Away From Antibiotics Before Taking Natural Remedies
If you want to get rid of sinusitis immediately, you must not use antibiotics because the indiscriminate use of antibiotics can cause antibiotic resistance and the growth of superbugs, thereby not efficient in curing sinusitis symptoms. A study by Journal of the American Medical Association has shown that adults suffering from sinusitis and treated with placebo or antibiotic amoxicillin in 10 days all get the same recovery term by the third day. From this study, it can be concluded that most of sinusitis symptoms can be treated well without taking use of too many antibiotics.
29. Outdoor Airborne Allergens
It is the fact that living things from outside of your house can also take effect on your sinusitis. Some of the most popular outdoor irritants are contaminants in the air, car exhaust, smog and pollen. If you are exposed to these kinds of irritants, it is sure your sinusitis will worsen. Therefore, before going out when you are getting sinusitis, the best advice for you is to wear a clean mask to be protected from outdoor harmful allergens which can make sinusitis become heavier. If you have to travel by car, remember to close the door and let your car be equipped with good ventilation system to make sure you can not bring outside allergens into your car, then you may inhale them. In conclusion, stay away from outside allergen that may have a bad effect on your sinusitis and prevent it from attacking you by carrying out suitable method.
30. Make Your House Worth Living
One golden rule that you should remember when you are suffering from the sinus infection is that your surrounding environment may have a strong influence on your health condition. Towards sinusitis, if you want to get rid of it soon, you have to keep your surrounding area, specifically your house clean, fresh and tidied. Actually, people always wish to own an energy-efficient house without caring that this can aggravate sinus problems because at the end, your house will be filled with stale air, which is very harmful.
To deal with this problem and to have a ventilated house, you should let the fresh air get into your house in warmer day provided that it is not a high pollen day which can cause your worse allergies.
It is still controversial whether you should clean the ducts on cooling and heating system or not because someone stated that their sinus infection grows faster after they have the ducts cleaned. According to some experts, they got sick because of the airborne dust aggravated. However, cleaning the ducts sometimes is good if the air in your house is wet, moldy or dusty. In general, you should change air conditioner filters regularly in order to keep good health and avoid sinus growth.
31. Avoid Household Irritants
Of the best home remedies for sinusitis, there exists a simple but effective way to keep you away from sinus infection which is avoiding household irritants. It means that you should filter the air in your house by releasing polluted air from your house. Polluted air is caused by people’s insensible actions and leads to worse sinus situation. Therefore, you should avoid household irritants usually.
Believe it or not, your action of using hairspray, cosmetics, cleaning products or cigarettes smoke or other harmful materials can really make your sinusitis get worse. If you are susceptible, such fume or odor can cause your sinus infection growth, especially fume from cigarettes is the leading cause of sinus infection. Therefore, keep your house fresh by asking family member not to smoke inside the house. If you are keeping a pet, be sure your pet is bathed regularly per week. Maybe, you can limit your exposure to the animal, then your sinus infection will be limited, too.
32. Keep An Allergy-Proof Bedroom
Your bedroom is a crucial place in your house. Whether your sleep is tight enough depends mainly on the standard of your bedroom. A perfect bedroom is where you feel relaxed whenever you enter it, the air must be clean and fresh enough without humidity, moisture, dust or dirt and be sure to be ventilated enough. Sleeping in a standard bedroom not only brings about tight sleep for you but also helps to struggle with sinusitis thoroughly.
It needs to be allergy-proof because allergies can cause your sinus infection gets worse and tends to grow fast in the evening. You can avoid allergies by carrying out many methods such as covering your pillow with clean and comfortable cover, keep your room away from dust by usually tidying and clean the room. Make sure your bed doesn’t sleep on your bed. By doing so, your bedroom will be a place fresh and clean enough for you to avoid sinusitis attack.
33. Always Keep Your Cool
You want to get relief from sinusitis soon, it also depends on yourself and on what you do to improve the situation. You may know that when there is a high level of heat, the membranes also get dry, at this time, the mucus will get thick leading to the risk of getting sinusitis situation.
Though the exact indoor temperature is not stated, you can improve the situation on your own starting from the simplest thing which is wearing suitable and comfortable kinds of clothes or dress. At the same time, you can predict the level of temperature, which is good for you by realizing your nose condition. If you don’t feel dry on your nose and every morning when you wake up, you don’t see nosebleed or congestion, the temperature is good enough for you.
34. Avoid Dietary Irritant
There are so many home remedies for sinusitis that you are wondering which is the best remedy that you can easily apply to yourself. You should start from the simplest thing playing the most important role in the process of getting rid of sinusitis that is avoiding dietary irritants.
You may not pay attention that your sinusitis is not related to your daily diet, but in fact, they are connected with each other. Keeping a healthy diet, your sinus problem will be mitigated. Having a bad diet, your sinusitis will be likely to grow faster. The advice is that you should avoid some dietary irritants and food allergies and sensitivities such as those relating to sugar, dairy or gluten, which are the main cause of sinus infection. Try to remove these kinds of food from your daily diet if you don’t want to suffer from frequent sinusitis. Instead, supplement food with enough essential minerals, nutrition to keep you far from sinusitis situation.
35. Know Exactly When To See A Doctor
It will be the best if you know exactly what condition your body and your sinusitis are in. The advice for you after reading so many home remedies for sinusitis is just so simple, that is known when you should go to see the doctor. As you may know, sinusitis includes so many symptoms that such home remedies for sinusitis mentioned here just deal with basic ones, that means when your sinus situation has no sign to be improved or you have to bear heavier symptoms, you should immediately ask for advice from doctor. Meeting the doctor will provide you the fullest information about your sinus situation by giving a CT scan of your nose and sinuses, then will find out anatomical blockages to determine you are able to take surgery or not. Furthermore, if your sinusitis last for a long time and you may get fever, you should immediately go to see ear, nose, and throat doctor to ask for more aggressive remedies to eliminate sinusitis thoroughly that natural remedies can not.
Above are the most effective natural home remedies for sinusitis, but once again, the article wants to emphasize the most important points for you to reduce sinus infection thoroughly.
- First of all, you need to find out the main causes of the sinus infection to avoid to limit the attack of sinusitis.
- You should prepare for your home a humidifier to cure clogged nasal passages and get relieved from the sinus infection.
- When taking a herbal shower, you should stand there for a short time to inhale the soothing vapor from herb and get instant relief from sinusitis. You should repeat the shower at least 2 times a day to cure the sinus infection
- You can ask for help from some kinds of devices such as neti pot, syringes to clear the mucus away and keep your moist. But before using, you should make sure that all the devices are washed carefully and open to air dry.
- Take enough sleep is very important to treat sinusitis. You should spend enough time to sleep so that your body is strong enough to combat with sinusitis situation.
- While sleeping, remember to elevate your head, then your congestion will be cured completely.
- To get strong health to deal with sinusitis, you also pay attention to do exercise more by performing Peak Fitness exercise often to get relief from sinusitis fast.
- To strengthen your immune system, you can take some fermented cod liver oil or capsule to get fast relief from the sinus infection.
- You also need to prevent cold and allergies which can cause inflammation so that you can feel better.
- Avoid being exposed to contaminants, the polluted air inside your house to limit the growth of sinusitis.
- Avoid strong fumes and chemicals that irritate the sinus linings.
- Remember to practice good hygiene to avoid bacterial and viral infections, which are the main causes of sinusitis. Such activities as washing your hands regularly, wearing a mask before going out,… your sinusitis will be controlled.
- Avoid using some kinds of alcoholic, caffeine beverages or smoke to hinder the growth of sinus infection.
- Always remember to supplement enough water to your body and keep your house clean and neat to avoid dust particles, thereby, your sinusitis will be treated thoroughly.
Your sinusitis may be a severe condition of your immune system. It can be caused by harmful factors both from outside and inside your body. Someone may be lost when finding the right treatment for such an irritated symptom like sinusitis and gets failed when trying to apply over the counter medicines to the situation without knowing that there is a large number of safe and natural home remedies for sinusitis that can help people to get rid of sinus infection thoroughly.
Hopefully, according to this article, top 35 best natural home remedies for sinusitis relief would show you the most efficient remedies for you to treat sinus infection and reduce mostly the most common symptoms of sinusitis bringing to you the satisfaction and comfort in every activity in life. Whenever you are annoyed by harmful effect from sinus infection, you can apply one of the above natural remedies, however, you still need to consult doctor’s advice before carrying out such remedies to make sure you are not allergic to any of them.
If you have any comment or questions relating to the above article, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comment box.
For more useful tips to cure critical health problems, you can visit our main Home Remedies page to get more information.