Fever blisters are painful sores that occur on cheeks, lips, chin, nostrils fingers, or even genitals. Fever blisters may be one lifelong irritant as the virus keeps dormant in your body throughout the life. Outbreaks may be triggered by overexposure to sunlight, stress, hormonal changes, a weakened immune system or trauma to the skin. There are a lot of over-the-counter medicines for treating fever blisters; however, they can take a lot of time and are not always effective. Instead, you should try some natural home remedies helping provide relief in just several days more. In this article, AllRemedies.com show you top 29 natural home remedies for fever blisters in adults without any side effect. This writing listed the best treatments to get rid of the fever blisters in adults from reliable sources. Nevertheless, it is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Keep reading this writing to learn more these 29 natural home remedies for fever blisters in more detail!
Top 29 Natural Home Remedies For Fever Blisters In Adults You Should Know
Garlic is one of the effective home remedies for fever blisters to cure fever blisters as quick as possible. Garlic contains enzymes that act as antiviral agents helping treat fever blisters. In addition, its antibacterial properties also help disinfect the area as well as reduce the healing time. For the best results, what you need to do:
- Gently crush about two to three cloves of garlic to make a paste.
- Then, apply it to the fever blisters.
- Allow it on for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- You should repeat this process three times per day for two days.
Note: Garlic is potent and can sting a bit when used.
2. Tea Tree Oil
One of natural home remedies for fever blisters is using tea tree oil. This oil is a great natural ingredient for improving your skin quality. It comes loaded with anti-bacterial properties that act on your infected skin and help to heal them, reducing the redness and swelling too. Here are detailed directions to apply tea tree oil for treating fever blisters:
- Dilute tea tree oil by mixing three parts water and one part oil. Using a cotton ball, and then apply this diluted tea tree oil on your affected area about three times per day. Within several days, your fever blister will heal completely.
- Alternatively, you can mix equal amounts of olive oil and tea tree oil. Then, add a little eucalyptus oil. Afterwards, apply this solution on your blister three times every day for around four to five days.
- 10 drops of tea tree oil
- Few drops of rose water
- Mixing bowl
- Sponge or cotton ball
- Put your tea tree oil in one mixing bowl.
- Then, add rose water to this needed.
- After that, just soak the cotton ball in this diluted mixture and now apply to the fever blisters.
3. Whole Milk
Whole milk is also considered as one of the best home remedies for fever blisters in adults. Whole milk contains calcium and immunoglobulins, which help kill the virus causing fever blisters. Furthermore, it has a fat type known as monocaprin containing antiviral properties. Also, milk helps in accelerating the healing process. Here are detailed directions to use whole milk for fever blisters:
- Soak one cotton ball in your cold whole milk and then apply the milk on your affected area. Allow it on for around 10 minutes. This cold milk will soothe the tingling sensation as well as reduce the pain. You should do this way several times per day for 3-4 days.
- Another option is to drink warm whole milk (a glass) with turmeric (one teaspoon) in it twice a day for one week. Turmeric helps reduce the pain caused by fever blisters.
Cold compresses can alleviate your pain significantly, as well as decrease the redness and swelling associated with fever blisters. In addition, it will prevent your condition from spreading. For the most beneficial results, what you need to do:
- Wrap some ice cubes in one washcloth.
- Then, place it over your affected area for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- You had better repeat this process every 3-4 hours.
- After each session, you should apply a thick lemon balm ointment layer to the area.
- Ice cubes- 3-4
- 1 teaspoonful of rose water
- A piece of cloth or clean cotton handkerchief
- Take your ice cubes and then pack them in one clean handkerchief.
- Then, sprinkle some rose water on to the surface of your handkerchief which will get in touch with your fever blister area.
- Rub gently over your affected area. You should repeat this method every hour for quick relief.
5. Hydrogen Peroxide
As you see, hydrogen peroxide is one natural disinfection and thereby very effective in fighting bacteria that can infect your fever blisters. The herpes virus causing fever blisters thrive in warm, moist environments; using hydrogen peroxide helps keep your affected area free and dry of moisture. For the satisfied results, you can use it as follows:
- Take 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and next use a cotton ball to dip it and then dab it over your blisters. Allow it on for some minutes and then wash the area with one wet washcloth and lastly pat dry. It is recommended to repeat this treatment 3 or 4 times per day for 2-3 days.
- Another choice is to create a paste of 3% hydrogen peroxide (one teaspoon) and two crushed aspirins. Apply the paste on your affected area with a cotton ball. Allow it on for just 2-3 minutes. Wash it with lukewarm water. It is suggested to do this once every day for not more than 2 days.
6. Lemon Balm Tea
Using lemon balm is also one of the best natural home remedies for fever blisters in adults.
It is very effective in combating the virus causing fever blisters. In addition, lemon balm essence helps remove the redness and the swelling of the blisters thanks to its anti-inflammatory agents. To apply lemon balm tea in right way for treating this condition, here are detailed directions:
- 10-15 leaves of lemon balm
- Water- 1 cup
- Sponge or cotton ball
- Take a cup of water in one pan and then bring it to boil.
- After that, add the lemon balm leaves.
- Next, boil them for around 5 minutes.
- Leave this solution in order to simmer down for another five minutes.
- Now, soak cotton ball into the water and then dab it over your blisters.
Looking for other home remedies for fever blisters, you should not pass licorice. Licorice contains an active ingredient known glycyrrhizin that has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties that make the herb an effective cure for fever blisters. Especially, it will minimize swelling and redness and also enhances the healing process. Here are some easy methods you can follow at home:
- Create a thick paste of licorice root powder (one tablespoon) and water (one-half teaspoon). Dab the paste on your affected area with a cotton swab. Allow it on for several hours. Reapply it about 3-4 times per day for a few days until your blisters heal completely.
- Form one fine paste of licorice by mixing a little pure vegetable shortening and some licorice powder. Mix them well to create a fine paste. Then apply this to the fever blisters and allow for few minutes before rinsing it off.
- You can also take supplements or drink licorice root tea to boost the healing process.
- Alternatively, you just need to take licorice powder and then apply it to the fever blisters. This will shrink them as well as prevent them from spreading.
Note: People who have high blood pressure had better avoid licorice remedies.
There are a lot of other healthy home remedies for fever blisters presented in this article, so continue reading!
8. Tea Bags
Tea has tannic acid, an astringent which contains antiviral properties and thereby can be used to remove fever blisters quickly. Tea also has many antioxidants and vitamins that can help heal your blisters. For the desired results, you can do as follows:
- Place a tea bag (green or black tea) in boiling water (one cup) for one minute.
- Then, remove that tea bag and let it cool.
- Afterward, press the tea bag on your affected area for several minutes.
- You should repeat this 5-6 times per day for about three to four days.
Keep reading this writing to discover other effective remedies for fever blisters!
Toothpaste has ingredients such as baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, menthol and alcohol that can help dry out the blisters quickly. In addition, it contains sodium lauryl sulfate which can help decrease the size of your blisters in just 1-2 days. For the positive effects, what you need to do:
- Apply a little white toothpaste on your affected area. Leave it on entire night, or at least for 2 hours. Rinse it off using a damp washcloth and next apply petroleum jelly. You should follow this remedy once every day until your blisters heal completely.
- Another choice is to mix white toothpaste (one teaspoon) and salt (one-half tablespoon). Using a cotton swab, then apply the paste on your fever blisters before bedtime. Allow it on overnight and wash it off with lukewarm water in the morning. It is recommended to repeat daily as needed.
Note: For dealing with fever blisters, only apply white toothpaste. Do not use gel, whitening, or colored toothpaste.
10. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is one of the most effective natural home remedies for fever blisters fast. It contains antibacterial properties and natural healing powers that help disinfect your infected area. Plus, this plant is known to boost healing and also decreases inflammation and pain. Here are step by step instructions to use aloe vera for treating fever blisters at home:
- Cut a leaf of aloe vera to extract the gel.
- Later, apply the gel on your affected area using your fingertips. Leave it to dry on its own.
- After that clean it with lukewarm water and finally pat dry with one soft towel.
- You had better repeat the process a few times per day for about 3-4 days.
- Fresh aloe vera
- 2-3 drops of grapefruit seed extract
- Sponge or cotton ball
- Take the fresh aloe vera juice in one mixing bowl.
- Then, add the grapefruit seed extract to this.
- Mix it well.
- Now, dip cotton ball in this mixture and then gently dab it over your affected area.
Generally, grapefruit seed extract contains anti-microbial and antioxidant properties that help quick healing of the blisters. It will soothe the affected as well as stop worsening of the condition.
Yogurt is actually in the list of the best home remedies for fever blisters. Yogurt has lysine that battles the virus causing fever blisters. It also helps in preventing the virus from becoming active. You can make an egg and yogurt facial mask to soothe and heal the blisters. Here are two methods to use yogurt for curing fever blisters:
- Mix one egg, yogurt (one cup) and honey (one tablespoon) to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your fever blisters with a cotton ball.
- Allow it on for 30 minutes, and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- You had better repeat this process once every day as needed.
- ½ cup of yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 10 drops of rose water
- Mixing bowl
- Take yogurt in one clean mixing bowl.
- Next to, add honey and then mix well.
- Add the rose water to it.
- You can add drops of water in order to dilute if needed.
- Carefully apply over your affected area.
- Allow it on for about 10 minutes and gently rinse it off.
12. Peppermint Oil
Using peppermint oil is also one of the greatest home remedies for fever blisters. Peppermint leaves and stems as well have menthol, which contains cooling properties. Here are two ways to apply this oil for treating fever blisters:
The first way:
- Few drops of peppermint oil
- Lukewarm water
- First of all, get lukewarm bath water.
- Now add peppermint oil (a few drops) to it.
- Gently bathe in it. You should not use the towel immediately after bath. Allow water to leave your body, afterward, dab yourself gently with a soft cloth or cotton towel.
The second way:
- Peppermint oil
- Sponge or cotton ball
- Take a bowl and then pour some peppermint oil in it.
- Take the sponge or cotton ball.
- Dip it in the peppermint oil and then sponge your blister-affected area gently.
13. Witch Hazel
Perhaps, witch hazel is one miraculous herb that is trusted for curing fever blisters due to its strong antioxidant properties. It acts quickly on your sores as well as brings down the inflammation. Here are detailed guides for applying witch hazel to treat fever blisters:
- 1teaspoon of witch hazel oil
- Clean bowl
- Cotton ball
- Pour witch hazel (1 tsp) into a bowl.
- After that, take one cotton ball and next immerse it in this witch hazel solution.
- Gently dab the cotton ball on your fever blisters.
- You can repeat this process as multiple times as needed
14. Baking Soda
Baking soda contains anti-microbial properties and in addition to its capability in order to balance the pH level of the skin making it difficult for the virus to survive. For the better results, what you need to do:
- 2 teaspoonful of baking soda
- 1cup of water
- Cotton ball
- Mixing bowl
- Take baking soda (2 teaspoons) in a mixing bowl.
- Then, add one cup of water to it.
- Mix it well.
- After that, gently apply this on your fever blisters using the cotton ball. Let it sit for five minutes then rinse it off with lukewarm water for quick relief.
15. Plum Juice
Plum juice is also considered among the best natural home remedies for fever blisters in adults. It is an incredible pain alleviating element and a natural source of antibiotics. To use it for treating fever blisters, you can do as follows:
- Fresh plum juice
- Cotton balls
- Warm water
- Simply, you can wash your mouth using fresh plum juice in order to get relief from your oral fever blisters. Or, you can dilute this juice with warm water. You should repeat this process as many as thrice a day.
- Another option is to dip cotton balls in your fresh plum fruit juice and then dab it on the fever blisters for instant freedom from the pain and in order to feel better.
Seeking one of the most home remedies for fever blisters in adults, you should not pass Vaseline. Here are step by step directions you can follow at home:
- Cotton swabs or gloves
- First of all, apply the Vaseline on your fever blisters.
- Always use a cotton swabs or gloves to apply this.
- Remember to clean the hands before and after they tough a blister. This is necessary to prevent the virus spread.
Keep reading this writing to discover other effective home remedies for fever blisters.
17. Apple Cider Vinegar
This vinegar contains many qualities which can help you remove fever blisters. In addition, it helps in drying out your fever blisters and fight off the bacteria causing them as well. Furthermore, it helps balance the pH level in order to prevent the survival and growth of bacteria as well as other microbes on the skin’s surface. For the positive results, what you need to do:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Sponge or cotton ball
- Soak a clean cotton ball or a sponge in your apple cider vinegar
- Then, dab it on your fever blister affected area.
Turmeric may also be used to remove fever blisters due to its anti oxidant properties. Along with that, turmeric can also decrease the pain caused by the problem of cold sores. Here are step by step directions to use turmeric for dealing with fever blisters:
- Mix turmeric (one teaspoon) with milk (a whole glass) or you can use water if you are lactose intolerant.
- It is recommended to do this two times a day till the symptoms disappear.
19. Green Tea
As you know, green tea contains many anti oxidant properties that make it as one of the most effective home remedies for fever blisters in adults. The anti oxidants and vitamins will help boost the healing process of your blisters. In addition, tannic acid present in green tea will help your fever blisters go away immediately.
- Place a bag of green tea on boiling water (a cup).
- Leave this tea bag on your cup for one minute or so.
- Afterwards, remove this tea bag and let it to cool down.
- Now press this tea bag on your affected skin area.
- Do this around six times per day for a period of five days.
Echinacea is also one of the most beneficial home remedies for fever blisters. Echinacea bolsters the immune system as well as its defenses, which make it harder to catch bugs. For the best results, what you need to do:
- Echinacea tea (1 bag)
- Freshly boiled water (1 cup)
First, place the bag in one mug and then pour boiling water in it. Cover-a plate acts well-and let it steep for around10 minutes. Then squeeze its juice out of this bag when removing it in order to get all of the extra good stuff.
21. Load Up On Vitamins C And E
Vitamin C helps in enhancing white blood cell count. The white blood cells are your body’s defenders. Vitamin E helps in relieving the painful and irritating discomfort of fever blisters, as well as minimizing scarring. Some foods containing high vitamin E include nuts, whole grain, leafy green vegetables and avocados. Several foods having rich vitamin C include red berries, kiwi, broccoli, spinach, and tomatoes, green and red bell peppers
Continue reading the next part of this post to discover a lot of other effective remedies for fever blisters!
22. Cornstarch Paste
One of the best home remedies for fever blister is using cornstarch. To make a cornstarch paste, here are detailed directions:
- Cornstarch (1 tablespoon)
- Fresh water to start (1 teaspoon)
First of all, measure out cornstarch (1 tablespoon) and next place in one small bowl. Mix in fresh water (1 teaspoon). Add more water slowly till you achieve one paste-like consistency. After that, put a dab on the cold sore before going to bed, and in the morning, wash off gently with water. You had better do this nightly till cold sore is gone.
Vanilla extract, good, pure, vanilla extract, the real, is one of the best natural home remedies for fever blisters in adults. Here are step by step to use vanilla for coping with this condition:
- a cotton pad or cotton swab
- pure vanilla extract
First step is to soak swab or cotton pad in vanilla till thoroughly saturated. Then, directly apply to sore, holding the pad or swab in place for one minute or so. It is suggested to do this process 4 times every day till no longer needed.
Neem is also considered among one of the best effective home remedies for fever blisters in adults. Neem will remove the virus as well as will soothe your inflamed skin considerably. Moreover, it will alleviate the pain and itching as well as will help your fever blisters to heal quickly. All you need to do is take a few fresh leaves of neem and wash them well using water. Next, grind the leaves to one fine paste and then smear it all over your blisters. Leave this paste to dry then rinse it off with cold water. It is recommended to apply three times every day.
25. Chamomile Tincture
Chamomile has bisabolol, a component that helps to heal fever blisters effectively. For the best results, what you need to do:
- Consume chamomile tea regularly
- Allow the hot liquid linger on your sores
- Another option is to apply chamomile tincture to your affected area for at least three to four times per day in order to get faster healing.
26. Nail Polish Remover
The nail polish remover acts like a garlic action on your cold sores as well as dries out the fever blister quickly. Here are detailed directions:
- Take a Q-tip and a nail polish remover
- Then soak the Q-tip in this nail polish remover for a couple of minutes.
- After that, apply the soaked Q-tip on your blister
- Let it like that until you can bear it.
- This remedy will cause a little burn but completely dries out.
Looking for the natural home remedies for fever blisters, you had better not pass honey. It contains anti biotic property and it soothes your cold sore irritation as well as heals it fast. For the best results, what you need to do:
- Take organic/ raw honey in a bowl.
- Then, pour a little honey on the fever blisters when it starts
- Allow it for few minutes
- Wash it off afterwards.
- You should repeat the process in order to get good results.
Myrrh contains active ingredients that helps in preventing the infection & decreases the cold sores as well. To use it for treating fever blisters, you can do as follows:
- Take powdered myrrh (2 teaspoons) and boiling water (a cup).
- Now, add this powdered myrrh in the boiling water
- Later, dab it on the cold sores frequently.
- It is recommended to do this process continuously in one day to get the better results.
Camphor is containing the property to numb the pain and things to decrease the cold sores. Here are detailed guides to use camphor for treating fever blisters:
- Take some camphor spirits
- Dab it on your painful sores by sing one cotton ball.
- Allow it few minutes.
- Other things that are taken in place of the camphor are lidocaine, benzocaine, benzyl alcohol, phenol and tetracaine used to numb your pain.
- Apply astragalus and Reishi mushroom in order to treat the fever blisters. Furthermore, you may spread Reishi powder paste (600 mg) on the affected part.
- Moist the fingers in water and then rub table salt (a pinch) on them. Now, press your blister with the fingers for a few minutes. Alternatively, you can dip one cotton ball in hot water, and then add a little salt on it and next apply it on your affected skin area twice per day for the next three days.
- Mix vitamin C (1 gram), lysine (1 gram) and flavonoids (1 gram) and consume it five times per day. Alternatively, you can take 1000mg capsule of lysine three times a day followed with juice (a glass).
- Take one cotton ball and then soak it in alcohol. After that, dab it on your affected area.
- Take sage leaves (a handful) and steep them in some hot water. Strain this solution and then consume it three times a day. Another option is to place soaked tea bags on your affected area for about 15 minutes in order to increase the effectiveness of the remedy.
- Simply, you make a facial mask of yoghurt and egg and then apply it on your blisters. All you need is to mix an egg with yoghurt (one cup) and a little bit of Manuka honey. Yoghurt and egg will help soothe your condition to a great extent.
- Slice raw onion and then gently rub it on your blisters. Especially, onions are anti-inflammatory, and thereby give relief from the fever blisters.
- Add some aloe vera to grapefruitseed extract (2-3 drops) and then apply it on your blister. Grapefruit seeds contain anti-microbial and antioxidant properties and quickly heal up your fever blisters.
- Take sage tea (1-2 cups) with a little ginger powder daily for the home cure of your fever blisters. It is famous to give visible outcomes in one week’s time. Ensure you prepare this tea at home. Especially, it will help give relief from the discomfort.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 29 natural home remedies for fever blisters in adults, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of fever blisters quickly and easily. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at-home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other home remedies for fever blisters, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible. Also you can share the experience if you know any other fever blisters remedies to us.