Eczema or atopic dermatitis is the chronic allergic condition where your skin develops itchy areas. And what are the symptoms of eczema? They are the dry or leathery skin, blisters, and red & inflammatory areas on the skin. What are the reasons causing eczema? It is caused by allergic reaction, genetics, irritants, stress, temperature changes, and so on. Does it drive you crazy? Medical treatments or natural home remedies for eczema, which method do you want to use to treat your eczema condition? If your answer is “natural home remedies”, so please continue reading this article on our page AllRemedies.com which will present to you 20 best natural home remedies for eczema in adults you can follow easily to get rid of your eczema condition at home.
20 Best Natural Home Remedies For Eczema In Adults
These are 20 natural and useful home remedies for eczema which you can do to get rid of eczema:
1. Coconut Oil
Now, the first remedy in the list of home remedies for eczema is coconut oil. How can coconut oil work? It can sink into the skin, fill in the intercellular space which is caused by losing the moisture. Therefore, to get rid of eczema, you just need to prepare coconut oil and follow these steps below:
- Step 1: wash off your hand with water
- Step 2: pat them dry
- Step 3: rub the oil gently onto the affected area
- Step 4: allow it to dry
- Apply it all day as needed and keep doing this remedy every day until your eczema is gone. In order to get the best result, you had better use coconut oil before you go to bed.
2. Jojoba Oil
However, jojoba is not exact an oil but a liquid wax. It includes the fatty alcohol and the long chain fatty acids which can moisturize your skin. Thus, if you want to choose this remedy to get rid of eczema, you just need jojoba oil and do as the following:
- Step 1: wash off your hand with water
- Step 2: pat them dry
- Step 3: take the jojoba oil to apply onto your affected area
- Step 4: massage your skin gently
- Step 5: let it absorb
- Do this 3 times a day and do this every day until you don’t see eczema anymore
3. Shea Butter
When talking about home remedies for eczema, one remedy which should be mentioned too is shea butter. Shea butter has the non-saponifiable fatty acids, especially oleic and stearic which can heal, repair or soften the damaged skin along with reducing the inflammatory which causes eczema. And in order to make this remedy, what you need to prepare are:
- Two tablespoons of shea butter
- Two tablespoons of beeswax
- Six tablespoons of coconut oil
- Four tbsp of jojoba oil
- Lavender essential oil (this is optional)
- Glass jars or airtight tins
Here are the steps you should follow:
- Step 1: melt down the jojoba and beeswax completely in the double boiler
- Step 2: add coconut oil when they are melted & stir until it is melted too
- Step 3: lower the heat a bit
- Step 4: add the shea butter & stir until it is also melted
- Step 5: pour the mixture into the airtight tins or glass jars and cover it
- Step 6: let it cool
- Step 7: when using it, you can put two drops of lavender essential oil and stir. Finally, apply it onto your skin. Do this every day and 2 or 3 times as needed until your eczema is gone away.
When eczema bothers you, you can also use oats as one of the useful home remedies for eczema. With the anti – inflammatory properties inside, oats can give you a relief from eczema. In addition, they can soothe and moisturize your skin. And so as to treat eczema, you need to prepare these things well:
- A cup of oatmeal
- Cheesecloth or muslin
- A bathtub
Here is the detailed direction:
- Step 1: put the oatmeal into some muslin or cheesecloth and tie them off
- Step 2: place them into the bath
- Step 3: let water pour into the bath until the bath is full and the water is smooth and milky
- Step 4: soak into the water for about 10 – 15 minutes
- Step 5: get out and use a towel to pat your body dry.
- Step 6: apply your favorite moisturizer to your skin
- Do this once every day till you don’t see eczema anymore (it is possibly in one month)
Honey can relieve the symptom of eczema thanks to its anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps to speed the healing process up. To implement this remedy, what you need is raw honey. And, here is the detailed instruction:
- Step 1: wash of your hand then pat them dry
- Step 2: apply honey to the affected area. Remember just apply a thin layer
- Step 3: cover it by using a bandage
- Step 4: leave it on for about 20 or 30 minutes
- Step 5: wash it off again and pat it dry.
You should do this 3 times a day daily. When your eczema is taken away, you will stop using this remedy.
In case you have some troubles with eczema, you can use cornstarch as one of the effective home remedies for eczema too. In order to cure eczema, you need to prepare:
- Grapeseed oil or olive oil
Now, follow these steps below:
- Step 1: mix olive oil or grapeseed oil with cornstarch well in order to make a fine paste
- Step 2: apply the paste to your affected area
- Step 3: leave it on for about 20 minutes
- Step 4: wash off with warm water
- Step 5: pat it dry by a towel and apply your moisturizer as needed.
You should follow this remedy twice a day and repeat every day until your eczema is taken away.
Clay is considered as one of the effective home remedies for eczema. And clay, in general, French green clay, in particular, contains a lot of magnesium, calcium, potassium, iron and other minerals which can reduce pain and itching caused by eczema. Thus, so as to carry out this remedy, these things need being prepared well.
- A half cup of green clay
- Witch hazel extract or water
Now let’s follow this detailed direction:
- Step 1: mix witch hazel extract or water with the green clay well to make a fine paste
- Step 2: directly apply to the area which contains eczema
- Step 3: let it dry
- Step 4: wash off with water
- Step 5: use a clean soft towel to pat it dry
You ought to follow this remedy twice a day daily. You have to stop doing this remedy when you see that there is no eczema on your skin.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
When talking about the effective home remedies for eczema, you can use apple cider vinegar too. It can relieve the itchiness and inflammation. So as to get the best result, you need to prepare these things first:
- Apple cider vinegar
- A cotton ball
Now please follow the detailed instruction here:
- Step 1: mix apple cider vinegar with water in the same equal.
- Step 2: use the cotton ball to apply the mixture on the skin area where having eczema
- Step 3: leave it on for about 30 minutes
- Step 4: use the damp cotton cloth to clean the affected area
- Repeat this process twice a day daily in a few months (may be 1 or 2 months depending on how heavy your eczema is)
However, you can do this remedy in another way. Now, mix 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar into a glass of water for twice or thrice a day. Keep doing this every day until your eczema is taken away.
9. Aloe Vera
One of the effective and natural home remedies for eczema is aloe vera. It is used to treat a lot of skin problems including eczema. It can reduce the skin irritation and itching sensation along with restore the pH balance of your skin thanks to the antimicrobial and moisturizing properties. In addition, it can speed the healing process up. Thus, you can follow these methods to treat eczema:
- On the first method, you just need to take some fresh aloe vera leaves. Then, take the aloe vera gel out of the leaves. Next, apply the gel onto your affected skin several times a day. Keep doing this until you don’t see eczema on your skin anymore.
- On the other method, you may enjoy a few ounces aloe vera juice to make your skin glowing and healthy
One of other effective home remedies for eczema is chamomile. It contains the therapeutic properties which can soothe the effect on the eczema skin. In order to make this remedy, you need to prepare these things well:
- 2 or 3 teaspoons of chamomile flowers
- A cup of boiling water
- A clean cloth
Let’s do this remedy:
- Step 1: pour the chamomile flowers into the boiling water
- Step 2: soak for 10 or 15 minutes
- Step 3: let it cool
- Step 4: dip a piece of the clean cloth in the solution
- Step 5: put it on the affected area
- Step 6: leave it on for about 20 minutes
- Do this remedy a few times per day daily as needed until you are pleasant with the result
However, you can use the chamomile oil, too. Now, mix 5 or 10 drops of the chamomile oil into the water in your bath. Then, soak your body in it for 20 minutes every day till you feel better.
11. Indian Lilac
Talking about the effective home remedies for eczema, you are able to use the Indian lilac. Sometimes it is called neem. It will help to protect your skin from a lot of infections as well as restore your skin’s health. And, to make this remedy, you ought to follow one of both methods as following:
- On the first method, mix one teaspoon of sesame oil, one teaspoon of turmeric powder and a tablespoon of the ground Indian lilac leaves in order to make the paste. Then apply it on the affected area. Next, leave it on for about a few hours to let it work on your eczema. Finally, wash off with water. Do this every day and once each day. Continue a few months (maybe two or three months depending on eczema on your skin)
- On the second method, you just need to add a few drops of the neem oil to the warm bath water and then soak your body in it for 20 minutes once day by day. Keep doing this until it gives you a relief.
Because of the antiseptic and anti – inflammatory properties in the turmeric, it can be used as one of the natural and effective home remedies for eczema. Consequently, you need to follow the detailed recipe below:
- Step 1: boil a quarter of water
- Step 2: add a half of the turmeric powder in it
- Step 3: continue boiling in 5 minutes
- Step 4: let it cool
- Step 5: drink this solution or use this to rinse the affected area
- Do this once or twice a day daily until your eczema is taken away
There are a lot of other effective and natural home treatments for eczema in adults presented in the next part of this writing, so keep reading it if you want to discover more!
13. Slippery Elm
While talking about the effective home remedies for eczema, slippery elm is also one of them. Because of the high mucilage content in the slippery elm, it can help to promote the healing process and moisturize your skin. As the result, if you use the slippery elm to cure the eczema, you had better follow these steps:
- Step 1: wash a few slippery elm leaves and then crush them in order to make a fine paste
- Step 2: apply the paste onto the area which includes eczema
- Step 3: let it dry
- Step 4: wash off with water
- Do this three times a day and repeat every day until you see that your skin doesn’t have eczema anymore.
Carrots are not only one of the popular cooking ingredients but also one of the effective home remedies for eczema. Carrots are rich in vitamin A, which is useful to treat eczema. And, so as to carry out this remedy, please follow these steps below:
- Step 1: take three carrots and then skin them
- Step 2: boil them until they are soft
- Step 3: grind them in order to make a smooth paste
- Step 4: apply it onto your eczema area
- Step 5: wash off with cool water after leave it on for 15 minutes
- Do this twice a day daily until your skin is improved.
Another cooking ingredient can be used as one of the useful home remedies for eczema is the cucumber. You can implement this remedy as the detailed instruction below:
- Step 1: cut a cucumber into the thin slices
- Step 2: soak the slices for two hours or more
- Step 3: clarify the liquid
- Step 4: apply it with the gauze or clean cloth where needed
- Do this once a day daily until your eczema is taken away.
16. Olive Oil
One more remedy in the list of the helpful home remedies for eczema is olive oil. Olive oil includes the omega – 3 fatty acids which may reduce the inflammation. In order to cure the eczema on your skin, you can choose one of both techniques here to follow:
- On the first technique:
- Take some olive oil.
- And then gently apply it to your affected area.
- Do this two or three times per day and repeat every day until your eczema is gone away.
- On the second technique, you just apply olive oil on your diet every day too.
17. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil should be mentioned in the list of the useful home remedies for eczema, too. Why is it a useful home remedy? Because, it can soften the plaques and relieve the itching. You had better follow the detailed direction below so that you can see the improvement.
- Step 1: add a few drops of the tea tree oil into a few drops of the olive oil
- Step 2: mix everything well together
- Step 3: gently rub the mixture to your affected area
- Do this three times per day daily until it takes your eczema away.
It is very useful to use avocado as one of the home remedies for eczema too. And, when using avocado to treat eczema, you ought to prepare these ingredients well
- An avocado
- Aloe vera gel
- Warm water
Now what you can do is mentioned below:
- Step 1: mix the avocado and aloe vera gel well together
- Step 2: make the fine paste from mixing both ingredients
- Step 3: apply to your affected area for about 20 minutes
- Step 4: wash off with warm water gently
- Do this twice a day and continue day by day till you eczema is taken away
Calendula is also listed in the list of the helpful home remedies for eczema. With the anti – inflammatory, antiseptic and soothing properties inside, it can easily reduce the redness and discomfort. Then, to use this remedy, you may follow this recipe below:
- Step 1: add 2 teaspoons of calendula flower into a cup of boiling water
- Step 2: let it steep in about 2 minutes
- Step 3: soak the fabric with the solution
- Step 4: apply it to your skin which contains the eczema
- Use it twice a day and continue day by day until your eczema is gone away.
Besides, you can buy the calendula cream and use it twice a day too.
Nutmeg is also listed in the list of the useful home remedies for eczema. It can help to reduce pain as well as inflammation. To use nutmeg as the eczema treatment, please follow these steps below:
- Step 1: add a teaspoon of nutmeg powder to 10 ml olive oil
- Step 2: mix them well together in order to make the thick paste
- Step 3: apply the paste on your affected skin
- Step 4: leave it on for about 10 – 12 minutes
- Step 5: wash off with cool or warm water
- Do this remedy daily and twice each day. Keep doing this until you see the improvement on your skin
However, if you do too much nutmeg cream, you will store it in the cool place for 3 – 4 days.
Sometimes, controlling or preventing eczema is easier than treating eczema. So in order to prevent it, you should read the tips below:
- Use the hypoallergenic soap to clean the affected area every day and then apply the calamine lotion or anti – itch cream after washing
- Avoid stress
- Use the humidifiers
- Sleep well enough
- Reduce the amount of salt in your diet
- Eat the healthy diet or the food high in vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin D, zinc, omega – 3 fatty acids and so on. Or in the other words, you should eat more fruits or vegetables
- Stay away from wearing rough, scratchy or tight – fitting clothes
- Avoid scratching the rash
- Take exercises regularly but avoid activities which make you sweaty and hot
- Use the cool compresses in order to control the itching
- Stay away from alcohol and caffeine. That means you should drink water or juice from fruits and vegetables instead of coffee, wine or beer
- Avoid changing the temperature suddenly
If you want to know more about natural at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 20 best natural home remedies for eczema in adults, hope that it can help you find out the best and the most suitable home remedies to get rid of your eczema easily and quickly. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice before applying any home remedy for eczema. If you have any question, or you know other at home treatments for eczema, please leave them below.