Do you often have some problems with your ear? Or in the other way, do you often have the ear infection? Does it drive you crazy? And, do you want to know which home remedy is best for treating ear infection in both adults and children? If “yes”, please continue reading this article on our page AllRemedies.com which will present to you top 15 natural home remedies for ear infection in adults and children that you can follow easily to get rid of your ear infection problem at home. However, you should know something about the ear infection first. The main factors causing the ear infection are virus and bacteria in the middle ear. There are also some other causes such as genetics, food allergies, fetal alcohol syndrome, upper respiratory infection, environmental allergies, trapped water after you go swimming and so on. And the common signs of the ear infection are the headache, pain in the ear, fluid draining from the ear as well as tugging at the ear and so on.
Top 15 Natural Home Remedies For Ear Infection In Adults & Children
Here are the top 15 natural home remedies for ear infection in adults & children you can follow:
The first remedy in the list of home remedies for ear infection is salt. Here is the detailed instruction of using salt as one of the home remedies for ear infection:
- Pour a cup of salt into a pan
- Heat it up on the low heat. (you can use the microwave or double – boiler to heat it)
- Use a cloth to cover the hot salt and tie a not
- Lay down and put it on the affected area about 5 – 10 minutes
- Do this several times a day and keep doing day by day as needed.
Moreover, you can use salt with lemon juice as one of the home remedies for ear infection too. As you know, the vitamin C in the lemon juice is useful in treating and healing the infection including the ear infection. And here is the specific method you can follow if you want to get rid of your ear infection:
- Now firstly, put the juice from a lemon to a bowl
- Then mix the lemon juice with a cup of salt well together
- Next, take a damp towel, put the mixture in and close it so that the mixture can’t come out
- After that heat it up by putting it in the microwave till it is steamy
- After heating, take it out and test when it is warm enough
- Finally, place the towel on your head. Hence, the steam may get up into your infected ear.
- Let’s do this method till your ear infection is gone away.
One of the best natural home remedies for ear infection is using garlic. Garlic not only has natural pain relieving qualities, but also antimicrobial properties that help treat ear infection effectively. These are some ways you can follow to treat ear infection:
- Cook two garlic cloves in two tablespoons of mustard oil or sesame oil. Then strain the mixture after it turns blackish. Next, use the oil (2 – 4 drops) in the infected ear like the ear drops
- This is the other method. Put two or three fresh garlic cloves into the water. Then boil it about 5 minutes. After that, blend them and add some salt. Mix and put the mixture into a cloth. Finally, place the cloth against the ear which is affected.
- You may also follow this technique. You can eat two or three raw garlic cloves every day. It will help to speed the healing process up.
- Follow this remedy until you feel better.
Also, you have the different method of using garlic as one of the useful home remedies for ear infection. Before doing this remedy, you need to get these things:
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 glass of water
- A pinch of salt
- 1 clean cloth
Now let’s do this remedy as following:
- Put the garlic cloves into the water and then boil in 10 minutes so that we can get the softened garlic
- Take the garlic cloves out of the water and blend them into a paste
- Then, add the pinch of salt to the paste
- Next, use the cloth to cover the paste in order to make a poultice
- Finally, place the cloth on your infected ear for a few minutes
- And, do this method every day to get the best result
Basil is listed as one of the most effective home remedies for ear infection too.
And to do this remedy, you should follow the recipe here:
- First, gently crush 4 – 5 holy basil leaves (you should use the fresh ones to get the best result) to take the juice.
- Then apply the juice around or on the infected ear
- Remember not to let the juice get in the ear canal
- Repeat twice a day and do this every day until your ear infection is gone.
Besides, you also have the different method. Let’s do this remedy:
- Mix some drops of basil oil with some drops of coconut oil
- Then, soak the cotton ball into the mixture of oil
- Next, wipe inside the ear, behind the ear and around the outer edge gently
- Continue doing twice per day. And just like the first way of using basil as a remedy, do this daily till your ear infection is gone
In addition, you can also do this remedy as the following way. And what you need are:
- A handful basil leaves
- A sieve
Now let’s do this:
- First crush the basil leaves
- Then, put the basil leaves which have been crushed into the sieve
- Next, press hard in order to extract the basil leaves juice
- Now, pour two drops of the juice into your infected ear
- Let’s do this twice a day daily for at least one week
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
To reduce the fungus which causes the ear infection, apple cider vinegar is the good choice. Or in the other word, it is one of the home remedies for ear infection. In order to implement this remedy, you should prepare well:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Water or alcohol
- A cotton ball
Now, this is the specific direction of using apple cider vinegar as one of the effective home remedies for ear infection:
- Mix the apple cider vinegar with the water or alcohol in the same equal.
- Then soak the cotton ball in the mixture
- Next, put the ball in your ear just like a plug
- After leaving it on about 5 minutes, remove the ball
- Lay down on the other side to drain the mixture from your ear
- Take a hair dryer and use it in order to dry your ear
If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, you can use the white vinegar instead. And you should use this remedy twice a day daily till you feel your ear better.
In addition to that, you can use the white vinegar and rubbing alcohol as one of the useful home remedies for ear infection if you want to treat it. And, here is the detailed instruction when you choose this way to treat your ear infection.
- First, mix a part of rubbing alcohol with a part of white vinegar well together
- Next, tilt your head to one side
- Then pour a teaspoon of the mixture into the infected ear
- After staying in that position about 1 minute, sit upright in order that the mixture can get out of your ear
- Repeat the technique twice a day and you should follow this three days to see the result
And, if you do this method, it will help you to clear out the ear wax and the trapped water.
5. Olive Oil
In the list of the effective home remedies for ear infection, we have to list olive oil as one of them. Olive oil can clear the obstruction, which is blocked by the wax in the ear – catching bacterial or fungal growth. Thus, this is the way you can use to treat your ear infection:
- Heat some olive oil until it’s warm
- Put some drops of olive oil you’ve warmed up into your infected ear
- Then remove the infected wax by using the cotton – tipped swabs. And you should be careful not to place the swabs too far in your ear or else you can damage your eardrum.
And, you should do it once a day and do daily until your ear is improved. In addition, besides the olive oil, you can use the mustard oil.
Keep reading the next part of this writing to discover other natural solutions for curing ear infection in both adults and children!
6. Warm Water Bottle
The warm water bottle is one of the effective home remedies for ear infection. Applying the heat to the ear which is infected will relieve the pain quickly and stop the microorganism infestation. Hence, if you choose this remedy to treat your ear infection, please follow the direction below:
- Press the heating pad or the warm water bottle against the ear
- You may use a warm compress too. Dip a clean cloth into the warm water. Then ring the recessed water out. Next place it on your infected ear
- You should not apply the heat to your infected ear for a long period of time. Begin with 5 minutes and then remove the heat for a moment. You should repeat this process as needed.
You can use this remedy several times a day. But remember when your infected ear is improved, please stop doing.
One effective remedy should be listed in the list of the home remedies for ear infection is onion. We are not strange with the onion because it is one of the most common cooking ingredients. And when used as a medicine, it is also used as a cure of the ear infection. Here are two recipes you can follow to treat ear infection:
- First, cut a small onion. Then place it into a bowl and put it into the microwave in order to heat it for about one or two minutes. Next, let it cool. After that, strain the onion to take the onion juice. Place two or three drops of the onion juice and leave it on a few minutes. Finally, turn your head so that the juice can get out of your ear.
- Besides, you can also follow this way. Firstly, bake an onion for about 30 minutes. Then cut it into 2 halves. Put a half of the onion in a thick cotton cloth. Next, place it on your infected ear for about 5 minutes. Finally, wait for 10 minutes. You should repeat the process until your ear infection is reduced.
8. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the natural and effective home remedies for ear infection. Why? Because, in the tea tree oil, there are mild antibacterial properties, which can give your ear a relief from the pain. And before doing this remedy, you had better prepare these things well:
- Tea tree oil (3 drops)
- Olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Colloidal silver (1 teaspoon)
- Apple cider vinegar (1 teaspoon)
- A towel
Now so as to treat the ear infection, please implement the steps as following:
- Firstly, mix the tea tree oil, colloidal silver, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil well together.
- Secondly, heat the mixture until it is warm
- Next, take a towel and lay on the right side of your head on it
- Then fill the mixture to your ear and leave it on about 5 minutes
- Lay and turn the other side in order that the mixture can completely drain out of your ear
- Follow this method in about 2 days. You just use this remedy two or three times each day.
9. Mango Leaf Extract
A quick and effective treatment in the list of home remedies for ear infection is mango leaf extract. Here is the detailed instruction of using this remedy to treat the ear infection:
- First grind or crush two or three mango leaves to take the juice
- Warm the juice slightly
- Then place at least three drops of the warm juice into your infected ear by using a dropper
- Wait for a few minutes, your ear pain will be relieved
- Do this remedy 2 or 3 times per day and do every day when you feel that the ear doesn’t hurt anymore.
10. Breast Milk
One of the helpful home remedies for ear infection is breast milk. With the natural antibodies in the breast milk, it can help to speed the healing process up. In addition, it can reduce the discomfort and swelling. And this is the detailed instruction of using this home remedy:
- Place some drops of breast milk into your infected ear by using a dropper
- Repeat the process several times a day (maybe a few hours as needed)
- Do this for about one or two days
And this remedy will work for not only children but also adults.
11. Mullein Flower
A flowering plant which is grown in many areas and known as one of home remedies for ear infection is mullein. Now to relieve the ear infection, you should follow this recipe below:
- Put a teaspoon mullein flowers into a half of a cup of the boiling water
- Then let it cool
- Next, add a tablespoon olive oil with a tablespoon mullein oil to it and mix everything well
- After that leave the combination overnight
- Finally put a drop of the mixture in your infected ear
- Do this several times a day in two or three days
If you don’t have mullein oil at home, you can go to the market to buy it.
12. Eucalyptus And Lavender Oil
Steaming with eucalyptus oil and lavender oil is also one of the effective home remedies for ear infection too. This is the way which you can use to apply this home remedy:
- First boil three cups of water
- Then pour it into a large glass bowl
- Next, add several drops of lavender oil and eucalyptus oil on it
- After that, cover your head by using a towel
- Finally, breathe in the steam
You should do this remedy once or twice a day and keep doing in a week. However, you are careful not to use too much heat or oil.
13. Hydrogen Peroxide
Many people don’t realize that hydrogen peroxide can clean some cuts or wounds. In this situation, it is used so as to clean the ear. That means it can help to get rid of the ear infection. In other word, we can say hydrogen peroxide is one of the effective home remedies for ear infection. And this is the detailed instruction:
- Put some drops of hydrogen peroxide to your infected ear
- Then wait for it in order to get in contact with the infection in your ear
- Do this twice a day until your infection is gone
Ginger has powerful anti – inflammatory compounds and antibiotic qualities which can kill the bacteria and reduce the pain. That’s why it is concerned as one of the most effective and natural home remedies for ear infection. And here is the specific direction:
- Slice the fresh ginger into small pieces
- Boil them in 10 minutes
- Put the mixture into a towel
- Then lay down and place the towel over your infected ear
- Leave it on for 20 minutes
- Do this twice a day and continue until your infection is reduced.
15. Calendula Oil
One of the helpful home remedies for ear infection is calendula oil. This is how you can use it to treat your infection.
- Pour 1 – 2 drops of the calendula oil on the ear’s outside
- Then massage it for about 5 minutes to make the oil enter inside your infected ear
- Do this several times a day as needed and do it until your ear feels better
But remember not to pour the calendula oil directly into your ear.
Not only treating the ear infection by using some home remedies above, but you should also prevent the ear infection too. What you need to prevent are:
- Often wash your hand to prevent the spread of the infection
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid the close contact with the person who has ear infection
- Prevent the common cold
- Stay away from sitting over – crowded places
- Have a rest
- Take more vitamin C, vitamin D and minerals like zinc, omega – 3 fats
- Go to the doctor to check your ears frequently
If you want to know more about natural at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 15 best natural home treatments for relieving ear infection in adults and children, hope that it can help you find out the best and the most suitable home remedies to get rid of your ear infection easily and quickly. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice before applying any home remedy for curing ear infection. If you have any question, or you know other at home treatments for relieving ear infection fast, please leave them below.