Dry skin is a common problem in the winter time. This problem in winters is very normal, but people suffer from dry skin thanks to many other reasons too. Several factors that lead to dry skin include nutritional deficiencies, a genetic predisposition, and aging. Therefore, instead of depending on the chemical-based cosmetics, it is better to try the natural home remedies, which really act in order to deal with the dry skin. In this article, AllRemedies.com show you 20 natural home remedies for dry skin on face, hands and legs without any side effect. This writing listed the best natural treatments to get rid of the dry skin from reliable sources. Nevertheless, it is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Keep reading this writing to learn more these 20 home remedies for dry skin in more detail!
20 Natural Home Remedies For Dry Skin On Face, Hands And Legs That Work
Yogurt that helps you have a smooth and healthy skin also helps you treat dry skin.
Yogurt may be one of the most effective home remedies for dry skin. Yogurt helps soothe itchy and dry skin due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. In addition, its lactic acid content also helps remove any bacteria or germs that may cause itchiness or dryness. Here are step by step directions to use it for treating dry skin:
- Apply fresh yogurt on the skin and then gently massaging it into the skin. Allow it on for about 10 minutes and later take a shower or bath. The mild exfoliating action in yogurt will leave your skin refreshed as well as remove dry skin. It is recommended to do this once every day.
- Another option is to mix mashed papaya (three tablespoons) and yogurt (one-half cup). Then stir in several drops each of honey and lemon juice. After that, apply it on the affected area and allow it on for about 10 minutes before rinsing it off by using cold water. It is suggested to do this once per week.
2. Egg Yolk And Olive Oil
The combination of egg yolk and olive oil is one of the most excellent home remedies for dry skin. Egg yolk contains vitamin A as well as other essential proteins which help control the shedding of skin in order to make it soft and smooth. Olive oil has natural antioxidants loaded with vitamin K and E that acts well for getting relief from dry skin. To obtain the best results, you can do as follows:
- First of all, take two egg yolks and olive oil (a teaspoon).
- Later whip it well in order to get stable consistency.
- Now apply this to the dry skin affected areas and wait it on for a couple of minutes until it gets dry.
- Rinse it using normal water and lastly apply moisture.
- For the better results, you can also add few drops of rose water and lime juice to this mixture.
- Repeat it regularly to help prevent the dry skin.
Looking for the natural home remedies for dry skin, you should not pass avocado. Avocado is loaded with fatty acids, antioxidants and vitamins that help improve your skin from the inside. In addition, the rich vitamin A content repairs to restore silky and smooth skin and also helps in skin maintenance. For treating dry skin problem, what you need to do:
- Mash pulp of one avocado into one smooth paste. After that rub it all over the dry skin. Allow it stay on your skin for around 10 to 15 minutes and wash it off with cold water. You had better repeat the process once every day.
- Mash 1/2 of a ripe avocado and then stir in honey (one-half cup). Apply the mixture on the dry skin and allow it sit for about 15 minutes before washing it off. After that, apply this hydrating face mask about once or twice per week.
- Another option is to drink an avocado smoothie (a glass) every day to increase the intake of healthy fats which will help maintain your skin moisturized and hydrated.
4. Banana And Yogurt
Seeking the natural home remedies for dry skin, you should not pass the combination of banana and yogurt. Banana contains vitamin A that maintains the lost moisture in order prevent the dry skin problem. Yogurt helps to moisturize as well as locks it. When both yogurt and banana are mixed then it not only moisturizes your skin but also exfoliates the dead cells. Here are several ways to use this remedy for curing dry skin:
- Take one ripe banana and next mash it
- After that, create a paste of the mashed banana by including some amount of yogurt.
- Now apply this paste on your dry patches and allow it on for around half an hour.
- Lastly wash it off using warm water.
- Continue doing the process regularly to prevent dull and dry skin.
- Mash one ripe banana and then apply this directly on your face, hands and legs.
- Avoiding the area of your eyes and allow it for around 20 – 25 minutes
- Wash it away using lukewarm water in order to feel your skin supple and soft.
- First, take mashed banana and then add sugar (a tablespoon)
- Mix it well and afterwards apply this mixture on the dry skin
- You rub it in the circular motions that will help to remove the dead skin cells.
- Or simply, you can create a paste with banana and honey to prevent dry skin.
5. Coconut Oil
One of the best home remedies for dry skin is using coconut oil. Coconut is one natural moisturizer and when used, it makes the skin feel softer as well as removes the scaly characteristics in order to it look naturally moisturized. Here are step by step instructions to use this oil for getting relief from dry skin removal:
- Firstly, take sufficient amount of coconut oil.
- Later apply it to the dry skin and keep it on for entire night.
- In the morning, wash it off.
- It is recommended to do this remedy regularly at night to remove the dry skin problem.
6. Lemon Juice And Sugar
Lemon juice and sugar scrub helps to make the skin glowing, soft and smooth. Sugar while scrubbing helps in cleaning your skin from the scaly characteristics as well as allows locking the moisture to remove the dry skin. Lemon contains vitamin C that is a good astringent helping to lighten your skin tone, gets rid of patches on your skin as well as encourages the skin cell growth in order to prevent the dry skin. For the most beneficial results, what you need to do:
- Take sugar (a teaspoon) and then mix it with juice of 1/2 lemon.
- After that, take one cotton ball and now use this mixture to scrub all over the dry skin.
- Afterwards, slowly massage it in one circular motion that prevents the rough spots on the dry skin.
- Leave it to scrub for around 10 – 15 minutes and rinse it off using lukewarm water.
- Hold the remaining rub in a jar or air-tight container and apply it regularly.
7. Aloe Vera
Seeking the best natural home remedies for dry skin, you should not pass aloe vera. Aloe vera contains soothing, moisturizing and healing properties which prevent the problem of dry skin. Here are easy steps to use it for getting relief from dry skin treatment:
- First of all, get one fresh leaf of aloe vera and next squeeze its gel.
- Now apply this to the affected areas and keep it like that.
- If any gel remains on your skin after getting twenty minutes then wash it off using warm water.
- Repeat the remedy about once or twice per day to get instant relief from your dry skin.
Honey is also considered among one of the best effective home remedies for dry skin. Honey helps to soften, tighten as well as moisturizes your dry skin. Here are detailed directions to use honey for dealing with dry skin you can follow at home:
- First of all, take one small amount of raw honey or pure honey.
- Apply it directly on your affected area.
- After that, massage it gently using your fingers for around 2 minutes.
- Then wash it off with warm water and finally apply moisturizer in order to lock the moisture in the skin.
- You had better follow this remedy at least once in per day to help soothe your dry skin.
9. Sea Salt
Salt is also one of the best home remedies for dry skin. It can hydrate your dry skin when used it either as salt scrub or as bath. In addition, it nourishes your dry skin as well as makes it soft and smooth. Here are two easy methods to use it for getting relief from dry skin:
- Take sea salt (a cup) and then add this to warm water (a tub)
- Mix it well and afterwards, soak for at least twenty minutes to nourish extremely dry skin.
- You should repeat the process regularly in order to prevent the problem of dry skin.
- Take coarse sea salt (a cup) and mix it with vegetable glycerin (1/4 cup)
- Then, scrub it by rubbing the mixture over your skin in circular motion
- Wash it off with warm water finished by oil based moisturizer.
- Another option is to massage handful of salt onto the wet skin after bath or shower.
There are a lot of other healthy home remedies for dry skin presented in this article, so continue reading!
10. Almond Oil
Almond oil is a good source of vitamin E. Plus, it’s non-greasy oil that absorbs easily into your skin. For the expected results, you can use it as follows:
- Take almond oil (few drops) and then apply it on your dry skin parts.
- After that, massage gently on your skin which are exposed to the air for around 3 – 5 minutes.
- Later let it be on the skin for around 10 – 15 minutes and wash it off with warm water.
- Repeating the process regularly will give the better results over dry skin.
11. Castor Oil
Castor oil is also one of the best excellent home remedies for dry skin. Castor oil helps in healing many problems consisting of this dry skin. In addition, it contains vitamin E and ricinoleic acid which keeps safe the skin against warm water, soap and other factors causing this problem in winter. Natural astringents present in castor oil will get rid of the impurities as well as nourish your skin because it easily absorbs into the skin and this prevents your skin dry. Here are easy steps to use this oil for treating this problem:
- Take castor oil (few drops) and then apply this over your dry skin affected parts.
- Allow it on like that or entire night.
- In the morning, wash it by taking bath or shower.
- Regular repeating of this process will help remove the dry skin problem.
12. Baking Soda
Baking soda helps relieve itching by exfoliating your skin as well as helps to give moisture to the skin. Moreover, baking soda is also one skin friendly and anti – inflammatory that helps to give instant relief from your dry skin when applied. In order to use it for treating dry skin, here are detailed directions;
- Take baking soda (4 tablespoons) and add a quart water to this
- Later have a sponge bath in order to remove the dry skin.
- Or add baking soda (a cup) to one tub of hot water.
- Afterwards, soak it for half an hour and let it dry
- After taking bath, apply moisturizer and repeat this process regularly to prevent your dry skin.
Seeking the natural home remedies for dry skin, you should not pass milk. Milk contains soothing and anti-inflammatory properties that greatly help remove dry and itchy skin. In addition, the lactic acid of milk exfoliates all dead skin cells as well as improves the skin’s ability to maintain moisture. Also, it helps lighten the complexion. For satisfied results, you should do as follows:
- Add several drops of lemon juice and rose water to 4 tablespoons of milk.
- Then rub this mixture all over your body.
- Allow it on for about 10 minutes and rinse your body using cold water.
- It is recommended follow this remedy two times every day.
- Take warm milk (a glass) and add almond oil (1-2 teaspoons)
- Mix it well and then apply it before going to sleep
- Allow it on for entire night and notice the results which are against your dry skin.
- Repeat regularly to remove the problem.
- Take raw milk (a cup) and pour it in your warm tub
- Later soak it in the warm water tub for 10 – 15 minutes minimum.
- Repeat it regularly to get rid of dry skin.
14. Milk Cream
The lactic acid of milk cream helps exfoliate your dry skin. In addition, the soothing nature in it also helps maintain your skin’s delicate pH levels. Plus, it is a perfect moisturizer. For the most beneficial results, what you need to do:
- Mix lemon juice (several drops), milk (1 teaspoon) and milk cream (2 teaspoons). Then rub it on your face, hands and legs. Keep it on for some minutes before you take a shower. It is recommended to do this once daily.
- Another option is to add sufficient milk cream to gram flour (three to four tablespoons) to make a thick paste. Then apply the paste on your dry skin affected areas. Leave it on for about 15 minutes and finally rinse it off using lukewarm water. You had better do this once daily.
Curd has antioxidants that help to get instant relief from the problem of dry skin. Curd contains cooling effects and also has lactic acid which helps in moisturizing your dry skin. For the expected results, you can use it as follows:
- Take curd (1/2 cup) and apply it over your dry skin
- Gently massage in the circular motion
- Allow it on for around 20 – 25 minutes and rinse it off using normal water
- Follow it regularly to remove the dry skin.
16. Apple Cider Vinegar
Using this vinegar is also one of the best natural home remedies for dry skin. This vinegar helps to get rid of the small patches of itchy, dry skin as well as prevents dry skin. Here are detailed directions to use it for curing dry skin:
- Take vinegar (2 – 3 cups) and add this to the bath water.
- Stir it well and then soak it for around 20 – 30 minutes and lastly wash it off.
- Continue doing the remedy in order to complete relief from the itchy and dry skin.
Oatmeal is fully loaded with vitamin E as well as other essential nutrients which are necessary for your healthy skin. It not only helps to soothe your skin but also prevent the dry skin. In order to use it for removing dry skin, you can do as follows:
- Take oatmeal (a cup) and add water to this to get wet.
- Then, rub your skin with wet oatmeal.
- Finally, wash it using normal water and then dry it with one towel and next rub them with the help of dry oatmeal.
- You should repeat it continuously in order to remove the dry skin.
18. Diet Plan
Surprisingly, planning diet can help a lot in maintaining the body and mind healthy. For the best results, what you need to do:
- Include plenty of vegetables and fruits in your diet.
- Have spices in your diet such as coriander, cumin, turmeric which helps to soothe and relieve dry skin.
- Drink plenty of water per day. It is ideal to drink at least eight – ten glasses of water to maintain hydrated skin and also helps to moisturize the skin. Consuming water will help in preventing any skin related problems.
- Have oil fishes such as salmon that not only rich in essential fatty acids but also remove dry skin. You should regularly consume it to help get rid of this problem.
19. Chocolate Mask
Chocolate mask is also one of the most effective home remedies for dry skin. For the positive effects, you can make a chocolate mask by mixing powder (5 tablespoons), mashed avocado (2 tablespoons) and about four tablespoons of honey. Then, apply this mixture on the skin order to have a glowing and soft skin as it also helps to reduce marks as well as blemishes from the skin.
Here are detailed directions to use mango for treating dry skin:
- Take one fully ripe mango and next mash it. Then mix mashed mango (a teaspoon) with sugar (a teaspoon).
- Use this solution to exfoliate the skin as one pre-mask.
- After that, take the rest of this mashed mango and combine it with argan oil (3 teaspoons).
- Apply it on your skin and allow it for around 20 minutes.
- Finally, wash it off.
- Regularly apply moisturizer to the body after taking bath as this step will help to create a protective layer on your skin and maintain it hydrated.
- Always have cool or lukewarm showers but not too hot shower bath as this hot water bath can draw away your skin’s valuable and essential oils and leaves the skin dry.
- Select the soaps which have oil or fat like liquid soaps.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol which makes the skin to get dry.
- Protect your skin by moisturizing lotions and wearing sunscreen so that it cannot hurt the skin even when you spend much time under the sun.
- Regular exercise will help remove the dry skin as well as helps to maintain mind and healthy skin.
- Get sufficient sleep that helps to keep healthy skin and mind.
- You may also use the herbs such as basil, mint, thyme, etc. which helps to get instant relief from the problem of dry skin.
- Natural fibers such as cotton, silk will help in allowing your skin in order to breathe but wool can irritate normal skin. Therefore, choose the fabrics which will be suite to your body and skin. This will also help in soothing your skin.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. To solve the problem of dry skin, you should try some of above natural remedies. After reading the article of 20 natural home remedies for dry skin on face, hands and legs, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of dry skin quickly and easily. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other home remedies for dry skin, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible. Also, you can share the experience if you know any other natural dry skin remedies to us.