Are you tired of suffering from dandruff that makes you be uncomfortable when going out? Do you want to get rid of your dandruff condition fast and naturally within days or weeks? If you are looking for the best solution to eliminate dandruff & its symptoms, then you should read this writing. In this article, AllRemedies.com reveals to you 32 best natural home remedies for dandruff that work fast and safely without any side effect. This writing listed the best treatments to remove as well as prevent dandruff condition from reliable sources. Nevertheless, it is only for the informational purpose and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to discover these 32 at home dandruff remedies in more detail!
1. Olive Oil
Dandruff or scalp dryness will be cured by applying the extra virgin olive oil regularly. Olive oil that helps you improve skin also helps you treat dandruff. Olive oil is known as a great natural moisturizer for people who are suffering from dry scalp and dandruff. To use olive oil properly for treating dandruff, here are detailed instructions:
- You heat a little of the extra virgin olive oil till this oil is slightly warm.
- Then you massage this hot oil over your scalp
- Then you wrap the hair using a warm towel.
- Then you let it sit on your scalp for about 50 minutes or even overnight
- In the next morning, you shampoo & condition your hair.
- You should repeat this solution for about 2 to 3 times per week.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Strong antifungal properties of tea tree oil will make it be a wonderful treatment for common scalp & hair problems including dandruff. To apply tea tree oil in the right way for relieving dandruff, here are detailed instructions:
- You simply add some drops of the tea tree oil into your regular shampoo before washing your hair. Or, you can add 1 drop of the tea tree oil per ounce of your regular shampoo.
- Then you shampoo & condition your hair as normal
- Alternatively, you can dilute the tea tree oil just by mixing some drops of this oil with 1 tbsp of the coconut oil or olive oil.
- Then you apply this diluted mixture onto your hair and scalp
- Then you allow it to sit on your hair for about 40 minutes or even overnight
- Then in the next morning, you wash your hair as normal.
- You should do this solution 1 or 2 times per week.
3. Indian Lilac Or Neem
Indian lilac or neem has the antibacterial & antifungal properties, which help you in treating dandruff and a lot of other hair problems such as itchy scalp, scalp acne, & hair fall effectively. To use Indian lilac properly for curing dandruff, here are detailed directions you can follow at home easily:
- You prepare about a handful of the neem leaves
- Then you boil them into 4 cups of water.
- You let it cool and then you strain this solution.
- Then you use it like a hair rinse 2 to 3 times per week.
4. Coconut Oil
One of other healthy home remedies for dandruff is applying coconut oil. This oil can help you in removing dandruff thanks to its antifungal properties. In addition, it moisturizes your dry scalp as well as provides the instant relief from itching. Here are step by step instructions to apply coconut oil in the proper way for treating dandruff:
- You take a few drops of coconut oil
- Then you mix a little amount of the lemon juice with this oil.
- Then you rub this mixture onto your scalp
- Then you massage your scalp for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then you wash your hair clearly.
- You should do this solution 2 to 3 times per week.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very useful for scalp treatment. It can help you get rid of your dandruff condition fast within a few weeks. In addition, apple cider vinegar can aid you in restoring the pH balance in your scalp, thus inhibiting the development of yeast. Furthermore, this vinegar works like a natural hair clarifier, so it can clean clogged pores & hair follicles. Here are step by step instructions to apply apple cider vinegar in the right way for dealing with dandruff:
- You take 2 tbsp of the apple cider vinegar.
- You mix about 15 to 20 drops of the tea tree oil with an equal amount of water.
- Then you apply this mixture all over your scalp
- Then you massage your scalp.
- Then you rinse off your hair after some minutes of massaging.
- You should do this natural solution 2 or 3 times per week.
6. Baking Soda
Baking soda is known as a mild exfoliant that can help you remove your dead skin cells & absorb the excess oil. In addition, it can aid you in balancing the pH levels in your scalp as well as reducing the development of fungi causing dandruff. Here are some easy steps to use baking soda for treating dandruff:
- You wet your hair
- Then you rub about a handful of the baking soda all over your scalp.
- Then you rinse off your hair well using the warm water after some minutes
- You should repeat this solution 1 or 2 times per week for some weeks.
Pay attention: After this treatment, you don’t shampoo your hair.
7. White Vinegar
One of the great home solutions for dandruff is using white vinegar. White vinegar contains acetic acid, which helps you prevent the development of fungi all over your scalp, and relieve the itching caused by dandruff. Here are some easy steps to use white vinegar for treating dandruff:
- You add 1/2 cup of the white vinegar into 2 cups of the cool water.
- After you shampoo your hair, you rinse off it by using this water.
- You should do this solution 1 or 2 times a week
- Alternatively, you can massage the scalp by mixing 2 parts of the white vinegar, 1 part of the olive oil, and 3 parts of water.
- Then you rinse your hair and scalp off after 10 minutes
- Then you shampoo the hair by applying a mild shampoo.
- You should do this solution 1 or 2 times a week.
8. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is also one of the effective home remedies for dandruff. This juice has acids that combat the fungi causing dandruff. In addition, it also helps relieve itching on your scalp. Here are a few steps to use lemon juice in the right way for dealing with dandruff:
- Mix the juice of half one lemon in 1/4 cup of plain yogurt. Then apply it on your scalp and hair. Allow it on for about 20 minutes. Finally, rinsing this mixture off and shampooing your hair.
- Another option is to massage your scalp with lemon juice (a few teaspoons) mixed with a little water. Allow it on for about 5 minutes before washing it out and shampooing the hair.
- It is suggested to follow either of these treatments a few times per week.
There are a lot of other healthy and effective home remedies for dandruff presented in this article, so continue reading!
Aspirin can help control dandruff by exfoliating your scalp due to licylic acid. To apply aspirin in the right way for relieving dandruff, here are detailed options:
- Crush 2 aspirins to a fine powder and next to mix this powder with a blob of shampoo. Then wash your hair with this mixture, massaging it onto the scalp. Allow it in for some minutes and then wash your hair well. You can also wash the hair again with normal shampoo in order to get rid of the powder completely.
- Alternatively, you can crush 3 aspirins and then dissolve the powder in vinegar (one tablespoon). Massage this solution into your scalp. Allow it on for 30 minutes and then rinse your hair thoroughly.
10. Fenugreek Seeds
The herb fenugreek contains soothing and antifungal properties that can help combat dandruff to a great extent. Here are a few instructions to use the seeds for treating dandruff in right way.
- Soak fenugreek seeds (two to three tablespoons) in water entire night. In the morning, grind this seeds into a fine paste. You can also add plain yogurt (a few teaspoons) to it.
- Apply this paste all over the scalp and then keep it in for about a few hours.
- Rinse it out and then shampoo your hair.
- It is recommended doing this remedy once or twice per week.
11. Yogurt And Pepper
The mixture of yogurt and pepper is one of the excellent home remedies for dandruff. Yogurt is one of the effective sources of friendly bacteria. Especially, yogurt also prevents the scaling of scalp and pepper is antifungal. For optimal results, you can use them as following steps.
- Take black pepper (two spoons) and grind it finely.
- Add the resultant to yogurt (one cup).
- Mix it completely and then apply on your scalp and not on the hair.
- Allow it undisturbed for an hour and then rinse it off. After that, wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Using apples is also one of the great home remedies for dandruff. Unripe apples have Procyanidin B-2, a natural compound that can help promote your hair growth. In addition, they do play a role in maintaining your hair healthy. Here are some guides to use apples for dealing with dandruff.
- Add apple juice (two tablespoons) to an equal amount of water and then apply onto your scalp.
- Leave it for about 15 minutes and then rinse your scalp with a mild shampoo.
Ginger can be an effective ingredient to promote hair health and cure dandruff. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties. For desirable results, ginger is used for treating dandruff as following steps.
- Peel the ginger and next to grate it.
- Take sesame oil (about four ounces) into a small cup.
- Squeeze this ginger in cheesecloth in order to get the oil.
- Mix the sesame oil and ginger oil.
- Massage the scalp gently with this oil.
- Allow your hair undisturbed and lastly, rinse it with a mild shampoo.
The combination of henna with tea powder, lemon juice, amla and hair oil not only helps in removing dandruff, but also deeply conditions your hair. The dried henna leaves are extensively used in curing a lot of hair conditions including dandruff. Active constituents of henna such as lawsone, tannic and gallic acid and mucilage play a key role in henna’s dyeing effect. In addition, it also acts as a conditioner and reduces oiliness of your scalp. This property of henna can help decrease dandruff. Here are some easy steps to use henna for curing dandruff:
- Mix tea liquor, henna and curd in one glass bowl and next to add lemon juice to it.
- Keep aside for about 8-10 hours and then apply it to your scalp and hair in the form of a pack.
- Allow it for about 1-2 hours, wash the mixture off and rinse thoroughly with a mild shampoo.
- You had better follow this remedy once per week for optimal results.
Keep reading this writing to discover other home remedies for dandruff.
15. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves are one of the excellent home remedies for dandruff. They improve the strength of the scalp and help treat dandruff, too, due to their extensive antifungal and antibacterial properties. To use basil leaves properly for dealing with dandruff, here are detailed instructions:
- The mixture of amla powder and basil leaves can be an excellent treatment for dandruff.
- Mix both this ingredients till they create a paste.
- Apply meticulously to your hair and allow it for 30 minutes.
- Afterwards, wash your hair with fresh water.
16. Reetha Or Soap Nuts
Soap nuts can keep one’s hair strong and long. To use it for treating dandruff, you should use it as follows.
- Prepare about 10-15 soap nuts, 1 tablespoon Amla juice or powder and about 2-3 cups of water
- Soak reethain water entire night.
- Grind them in the morning and next to boil this powder in water. Then strain it.
- Then add amlapowder or juice to it and mix well. If required, use water to make it a paste.
Apply this mixture on scalp for half an hour and then wash your hair off with a mild shampoo.
17. Utilize Listerine
Like aspirin, Listerine can also be used to deal with dandruff, due to its alcohol content and antifungal properties. Just use Listerine to rinse your hair once a week. In addition, Listerine
helps to fight fungus that causes dandruff. For positive results, you can use it as follows.
- Mix 1 part Listerine with 2 parts water.
- After you shampoo, pour or spray the mixture onto your scalp.
- Massage in well and then let sit half an hour before rinsing with water.
Using salt is also one of the simplest home remedies for dandruff. It acts as a natural exfoliator that helps get off the extra oil as well as dead skin flakes. Here are step by step instructions to apply salt in the proper way for getting rid of dandruff:
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of salt
- Then gently massage this salt into your scalp for about 2-3 minutes. Afterwards, you shampoo your hair immediately
One of the other effective home remedies for dandruff is using curd. It contains acidic properties that can help in curing the problem of dandruff. For the better results, you can use it as following steps.
- Keep a little curd aside for about 2-3 days (do not freeze curd).
- Then apply the fermented curd on your scalp and hair.
- Allow it for an hour and then rinse with a mild shampoo.
- Another option is to blend black pepper (2 teaspoons) and curd (1 cup) together. Next to, apply this solution on your scalp and allow for an hour. Then wash with a shampoo.
- Alternative, you can also massage the scalp with a mixture of lime juice, amla and curd at night before bedtime.
20. Fuller Earth
As you see, fuller earth is very good for skin care. But it also works miracles for your hair and scalp. The cooling effect in fuller earth removes excess oil, soothes the scalp and fights irritation. For the best results, you make a past of water and fuller earth and then add lemon juice to it. Rub it on your hair and scalp and allow on for about 20 minutes and rinse off with water.
21. Orange Peel Pack
Vitamin C and citric acid in oranges helps in treating tone and skin texture. But orange peel too, has effective benefits for hair care. The acidic property presents in orange peel can help reduce conditions hair and excess oil. To use orange peel properly for treating dandruff, here are detailed directions you can follow at home easily:
- Mix lemon juice and orange peel in a food processor to make it to a paste.
- Apply it to your scalp, allow for 30 minutes and then rinse off with a shampoo.
- It is recommended to follow this remedy about 2-3 times a week for expected results.
22. Lemon Juice & Curd
Lemon contains antifungal properties and curd has antibacterial properties along with keeping the pH balance of your skin. To apply them in the right way for relieving dandruff, here are detailed instructions:
- Mix half cut lemon juice with half cup of curd. Mix them well then apply this mixture on your scalp. Allow it on for about 20 minutes and then rinse it off.
- You should use of this mixture regularly to help you get a soft manageable hair along with the healthy scalp.
23. Egg Yolk
One of other healthy home remedies for dandruff is using egg yolk. Proteins in egg yolk help in keeping your scalp skin healthy. To apply egg yolk in the right way for relieving dandruff, here are several detailed instructions:
- Take two egg yolks and forming a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on your scalp, then leave it on 30 minutes and wash off.
- It is necessary to rinse your hair thoroughly as this egg stinks.
24. Henna With Lemon Juice & Amla
The common quality of henna is conditioning your skin and hair too. When you mix henna with a few lemon drops and amla powder, this mixture not only helps you in forming a protective layer on every hair strand, but also helps you with providing you a fine sheen hair and the lemon ingredients along with the Alma will take care of the scalp skin. Here are some easy steps to use henna, lemon juice and amla for treating dandruff:
- Ingredients like tannic and gallic acids present in henna help provide henna the dyeing capability. Equal portions of henna (2-3 tablespoons) and amla powder (2-3 tablespoons) along with olive oil (one spoon) and one lemon form a great mixture to apply on your hair and scalp. Leave this mixture there for about 4-5 hours, let it dry and then rinse off.
- Regular use of the mixture will help you not only reduce dandruff but also will help in stopping hair fall due to dandruff and improving hair quality
If you want to discover other effective home remedies for dandruff, keep reading this writing!
25. Coconut Oil With Lemon Juice
Coconut oil contains anti fungal properties and lemon juice has antibacterial properties, this mixture together treats and hydrates the scalp skin for further and helps you remove the itching scalp almost immediately. For instants effects, what you need to do:
- Mix coconut oil (four big tablespoons) along with half lemon.
- Mix this mixture well and then massage into your scalp, allow it there for some minutes.
- For 30 minutes relax and then let it absorb, after almost half an hour, rinse your hair thoroughly.
- It is suggested to follow this process every week in order to get positive results.
One of the other simplest home remedies for dandruff is mouthwash. To use mouth wash properly for treating dandruff, here are detailed directions you can follow at home easily:
- Take mouthwash (1 cup) and normal water (9 cups).
- Mix it together.
- After shampoo, wash your scalp and hair with the mouthwash mixture.
- Do not use water after that. Just style the hair like always.
- It is recommended to follow this procedure about once a month.
Beetroot is also another cure for dandruff. To apply beetroot in the correct way for treating dandruff, here are some details steps:
- Prepare a mixture of cider vinegar, ginger juice and beetroot juice and apply it on your scalp.
- Then boil beet in water.
- Using finger tips with this water to massage your scalp at night.
- Alternatively, you may also create a paste by grinding beetroot and ginger root. Massage this paste on your hair and scalp every night and wash in the morning. This remedy will help to decrease dandruff in about 4-5 days.
28. Gram Flour
Using gram flour is also considered as one of the popular home remedies for dandruff. To see the better results, you can use it as following instructions.
- Make a paste of gram flour (besan) (4 tablespoons) and curd (4 tablespoons).
- Apply it on your scalp and wait for an hour.
- Then wash off.
- It helps to get rid of dandruff and dirt from the scalp.
- You can also add little lemon juice to this paste.
29. Banana And Apple Cider Vinegar
To use the combination of apple cider vinegar and banana for treating dandruff, you should use them as follows.
- Peel and mash one ripe banana in one bowl.
- Now, add apple cider vinegar (two cups) to it.
- Mix well until both this ingredients are combined.
- Then make partitions of the hair and apply this paste on the scalp.
- Massage for about 5 to 10 minutes and then allow it on for half an hour to an hour.
- Rinse it off with water.
- You had better repeat this remedy every day for a week.
- As the dandruff disappears, you can use this remedy once per week. It is an excellent and effective dandruff treatment and works wonders for the hair.
Using honey is also one of the popular and easy home remedies for dandruff. To use honey properly for treating dandruff, here are several detailed instructions:
- Mix honey, olive oil, yogurt and coconut oil in the ratio 2:2:2:3, in order to form a smooth thick paste.
- Spread this mixture over the head and then gently massage it on your scalp down to the tip of the hair.
- Do this in the bathroom full of steam.
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with your shampoo.
- Do not go overboard by rubbing the scalp as it may remove all the moisture that the honey rub provides.
31. Cedar Wood Oil
Cedar wood oil is one of the other excellent home remedies for dandruff. For optimal results, you can use it as follows.
- Mix together juniper (10 drops), cedar wood (7 drops), cypress (10 drops), and any carrier oil (50 ml).
- Apply directly on your scalp and then gently rub it.
- Allow it on for an hour and next to rinse it off using warm water and a mild shampoo.
- Alternatively, you can add the same amount of oils in a bowl of 600 ml warm water. Then wash your hair with it. This way will help keep the problem of dandruff away.
Thyme is also one of the excellent home remedies for dandruff naturally thanks to its antifungal and antiseptic properties. What you need to do:
- Take water (two cups) in a bowl and add dry thyme (4 tablespoons) to it.
- Boil this water for about 15 minutes.
- Then strain this solution and let it to cool down.
- Apply the solution on your scalp and allow it for 3 hours.
- Rinse it off with warm water.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of 32 best natural at home remedies for dandruff that work, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of your dandruff condition quickly and easily. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other healthy home remedies for dandruff, please leave them below.