Asthma is one of the lung diseases, which causes difficulty breathing. In fact, asthma can be either chronic or acute. Asthma attacks happen when the airway in the lungs is obstructed.
The exact reason of this disease is unknown, but it may be triggered by allergies, emotions, weather conditions, air pollution, respiratory infections, sulfites in the certain medications and food. Common symptoms include wheezing, shortness of breath, coughing, and chest tightness.
In this writing, AllRemedies.com will introduce to you the best natural home remedies for asthma attack without any side effect. These home remedies are collected effectively and safely from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Continue reading this article to understand more!
Top 28 Natural Home Remedies For Asthma Attack
Ginger has certain components such as gingerols, zingerones and shogaols which work as anti-oxidant, analgesic and anti-inflammatory that act as non-steroidal anti- inflammatory drugs and give relief from asthma as well as its symptoms. Therefore, ginger is one of the simple home remedies for asthma.
- Firstly, you take ginger juice, honey and pomegranate juice in equal quantity.
- Then, you stir it well and you should make sure that you have to mix all the ingredients properly.
- You can take one tablespoon of this mixture for 2 to 3 times per day.
- You should repeat it daily to get rid of asthma.
- You take one teaspoon of ginger and then you mix it in one-half cup of water.
- You drink one tablespoon of this mixture before going to bed.
- You should repeat the process every day to eliminate asthma.
- Or simply, you can chew a ginger every day, which will control your asthma as well as its symptoms.
- You cut one inch of ginger into small pieces.
- And then, you put these pieces into one glass of boiling water.
- Next, you should stir it well before steeping it for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- You allow it to cool down properly.
- At last you drink this ginger tea to control asthma.
- You soak the ginger juice, fenugreek seeds and honey for overnight.
- Then you take the ginger juice of about one tablespoon, fenugreek seeds of about two tablespoons and one tablespoon of honey.
- You mix all these ingredients exactly.
- You should drink this every day in the morning and at night.
- You can repeat this way because it helps in removing the toxic from your lungs and getting rid of asthma.
The caffeine can help in controlling asthma attacks because it works as a bronchodilator.
Therefore, drinking coffee is one of the home remedies for asthma. Hot coffee helps in relaxing and clearing the airways that help you breathe easier. In fact, the stronger the coffee is, the better the result is. However, you should not drink more than 3 cups of black coffee a day. If you are not a big fan of coffee, you can choose one mug of hot black tea.
3. Mustard Oil
When you get an asthma attack, you can massage with mustard oil that can help in clearing the respiratory passages and restoring normal breathing.
- You heat a little camphor with some mustard oil.
- You transfer it in one bowl and let it be comfortably warm.
- You rub it on your chest and upper back gently and massage.
- You massage your chest gently to receive relief from asthma.
- You should do this a few times per day.
- You take ghee (clarified butter) or some mustard oil.
- Then you put rock salt into this to make a paste.
- When you get an attack of asthma you can rub this paste on your chest.
- Massage your chest to receive relief from asthma.
- You heat sesame oil and then you mix this oil with salt.
- You use the warm salted sesame oil to massage your chest to loosen the phlegm.
- You should do this way after steam inhalation because it will be more useful for you.
Garlic is one of the best natural home remedies for asthma. The following garlic remedy will help in clearing congestion in the lungs during the first stages of asthma.
In addition, garlic can prevent and treat not only asthma but also many of other diseases such as arthritis, circulatory problems, digestive disorders, insomnia, cold, flu, liver diseases, ulcers, sinusitis and even cancer and heart diseases. Garlic contains alliin, allicin, chromium, sulfur amino acids and phosphorous, which make it an effective antiviral, antifungal and antibiotic herb. Actually, when you have the symptoms of asthma at the first stages, you can use garlic to treat it.
You will need:
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Milk – 6 tablespoons (about 30 ml)
- Firstly, you put the garlic cloves into milk.
- Now, you boil the milk.
- You drink the milk boiled garlic cloves one time per day.
If you cannot do this, you can make a ginger tea by mixing it with 2 minced cloves of garlic.
- You boil two to three cloves of garlic in milk (one-quarter cup).
- Then, you let it cool to room temperature.
- Finally, you can drink it for two times per day.
Figs contain the nutritional properties that boost respiratory health and help in draining phlegm and alleviating breathing difficulties.
You will need:
- Three dried figs
- One cup of water
- You wash the dried figs.
- And then you soak them in water overnight.
- In the next morning, you can use the soaked figs to eat and the fig water to drink on an empty stomach.
- You should continue this home remedy for a few months.
6. Eucalyptus Oil
In fact, eucalyptus oil has some component that helps in giving relief from the inflammation and pain. It also helps in blocking the chemicals that cause asthma. You can use the pure eucalyptus oil to treat asthma and its symptoms.
- You take some drops of eucalyptus oil.
- Next, you put it into a paper towel.
- You should keep it on the head while you sleep.
- This way will help you get relaxed sleep when you inhale the aroma as well as prevent the upcoming of asthma.
- You take two to three drops of eucalyptus oil.
- You pour it into one pot of boiling water.
- And then you take one towel and cover it over your head.
- You can inhale the steam to control the attacks of asthma.
- You should take deep inhales as many as possible to get the desired results from asthma.
There are many natural home remedies for asthma, keep reading the writing to learn more!
Onions contain anti-inflammatory properties which can help in reducing the obstruction of the airways in your lungs when you suffer from asthma. In addition, they have the sulfur content that helps in decreasing inflammation in your lungs.
- Simply, you eat raw onions to clear the flow of air in your lungs for better breathing.
- Or, if you really do not like the raw onions due to their taste, you can try eating cooked onions.
8. Carom Seeds
You can use carom seeds to treat mild asthma because it works as a bronchodilator.
- You boil carom seeds of one teaspoon in some water.
- Then, you inhale the steam when you need.
- You can also drink this water.
- You wrap the carom seeds (a handful of them) in a cotton cloth.
- Then, you will put it into your microwave to make it heat for several seconds.
- You let it be comfortably hot and then you put it on your neck and chest until it cools. You should repeat this every day until you feel satisfied with the results.
- You heat jaggery and carom seeds to make a paste.
- You eat one to two teaspoons of the paste two times per day for several days or till you get relief.
- Note: this way is not recommended for people who are diabetics.
One of the natural home remedies for asthma is honey. The ethereal oils and alcohol in honey help in reducing asthma symptoms.
Honey contains many amino acids, vitamins and antioxidants that are very useful for getting rid of asthma. When you get an attack of asthma, the airways in your lungs get inflamed and obstructed that make you difficult to breathe. Honey can soothe the mucous membranes in your airways that give you relief from cough associated to asthma. Here are some treatments that use honey to get rid of symptoms of asthma.
- You mix a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder with one teaspoon of honey.
- You should have this way one time per day.
- You mix one teaspoon of honey with one glass of water.
- You should have this every morning.
- You mix one teaspoon of honey with a half teaspoon of thyme powder.
- You should have this two to three times per day.
- You take 1 teaspoon honey, 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper and one-quarter cup of onion juice.
- You should have this mixture immediately when you are suffering from breathlessness and chest obstruction due to asthma cough.
- You pour honey in a bowl and heat this.
- Let it comfortable warm.
- You hold this bowl underneath your nose and inhale.
- You should practice this to get relief when you are breathless.
- You mix one teaspoon of honey with one cup of warm water.
- You should have this at daily night before going to bed.
People who get asthma often have low contents of vitamin C. And lemons have plenty of this vitamins and antioxidants, which can help in reducing asthma symptoms. Therefore, lemon is one of the natural home remedies for asthma attack.
- You extract the juice from a half of lemon in one glass of water.
- Then, depending on your taste you can add some sugar.
- You should drink this regularly to get rid of asthma attacks.
Also, oranges, papayas, strawberries, and blueberries are rich in nutrients, which help in minimizing asthma symptoms.
Note: you should not use the bottled lemon juice. Also, you do not eat citrus fruits throughout asthma attacks if your symptoms are worse.
11. Fenugreek Seeds, Honey, Ginger
Fenugreek seeds, ginger, and honey are an excellent remedy for asthma. Honey is very beneficial for your respiratory tract. Ginger contains the components such as gingerols, shogaols and zingerones that have analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that are useful in healing asthma. Fenugreek is also a very good remedy to treat any respiratory problems that include asthma and bronchitis.
You will need:
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 tablespoons
- Ginger paste (you can have it from the fresh ginger root) – 2 teaspoons
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1 liter
- You put the fenugreek seeds in water.
- You allow this mixture to simmer for 30 minutes.
- After that, you strain the water after half an hour.
- You place the ginger paste to a sieve and you press it to extract the juice.
- Then, you put this ginger juice into the water that you just strained.
- Finally, you add honey to this mixture and mix well.
- You should drink one glass of this ginger, fenugreek, and honey in every morning.
The Indian gooseberry is one of the rich sources of vitamin C. The vitamin is an excellent antioxidant that can fight the free radicals which are produced within your lungs when you get an asthma attack. It also has vitamin A that can treat respiratory tract infections including your asthma! In addition, it contains the anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the airway in your lungs and protect you from asthma.
You will prepare:
- Indian gooseberry powder – one teaspoon
- Or the whole gooseberry
- Honey – one teaspoon
- If you use the whole gooseberry, you de-seed and grind it to make a paste.
- You mix this gooseberry powder or this paste with honey.
- You should have this in the daily morning so that you can get rid of asthma attack throughout the day.
13. Drumstick Leaves Soup
Many different parts of Drumstick tree (called Moringa tree) are useful for treating the various types of diseases. Using drumstick leaves soup is one of the home remedies for asthma attack. For asthma, the drumstick leaves are used to making a soup. The way to use drumstick leaves to make a soup is so simple.
You will need:
- A handful of drumstick leaves
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) of water
- Salt (optional)
- Pepper (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of lime juice (optional)
- You put the drumstick leaves into the water.
- Then, you boil this for about 5 minutes.
- You allow it to cool for a while.
- If you like, you can mix pepper, salt, and/or lime juice to make the soup give some taste.
You should have this soup one time every day.
14. Bitter Gourd Root
Bitter gourd root is one of the oldest home remedies for asthma. However, some research found that bitter flavors can actually cure asthma fast and effectively because bitter flavors can help in converting the contraction of your airway cells. This process is known as bronchodilation, which can cure the airway obstructive diseases such as asthma as well as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. You can follow this way:
You will need:
- Bitter gourd root
- Honey- 1 teaspoon
- Or 1 teaspoon of holy basil leaves juice
- You crush the bitter gourd root and get 1 teaspoon of its paste.
- You will take the bitter gourd root paste of one teaspoon and mix it with honey.
- If you are using holy basil juice, you will have to grind the holy basil leaves to get one teaspoon of its juice.
- And then you mix it with honey.
You should have either of them every night before bedtime.
15. Safflower Seeds
Safflower seeds are beneficial for your health. Many people use them to prevent heart diseases due to linoleic acids that are available in safflower seed oil. For asthma, safflower seeds are helpful because it works as an expectorant and also helps in reducing spasms by making the mucus or firm sputum in your airways smooth in order that it can be ejected to give you relief.
You will need:
- 1/2 teaspoon of safflower seeds powder
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- You mix two above ingredients together.
- You should have this two times per day.
Safflower can slow down blood clotting. Therefore, if you have the bleeding problems, you should avoid using safflower seeds. In addition, if you have allergic to ragweed or other plants such as chrysanthemums, marigolds, daisies, etc. you should consult your doctor before taking safflower.
There are many effective home remedies for asthma, keep reading the writing to get more information!
16. Licorice Root
Using licorice root for healing asthma is very popular in the traditional Chinese medicine. This very common herb contains glycyrrhizin and flavonoids which help in relieving the bronchial spasms and inflammation in the airway; thereby you can get rid of the asthma attack. Because licorice contains antiviral and antibacterial properties, it can also treat lung infections which are caused by virus and bacteria. You can get relief from asthma instantly because licorice works as an expectorant that help in loosening the mucus in the respiratory tract. Therefore, to help yourself inhale smoothly, you can make a tea with licorice root for yourself.
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons of the dried licorice root
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 2 cups of water
- You add cinnamon and licorice to water and then you boil this for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Next, you strain and pour this tea in a cup.
- Because this tea will be hot, you should not drink it instantly. However, you can hold this cup underneath your nose and breathe the steam that come out of this hot cup.
- When this tea tolerably hot, you can have this.
- You should have this tea two to three times per day.
Those who are diabetes or high blood pressure ask your doctor for advice before taking licorice root tea because this can interfere with certain medicines.
Mint contains the anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that soothe your respiratory tract in order to get relief from breathlessness. It works as an expectorant that helps in expelling phlegm out of the system. One of the home remedies for asthma is mint leaves. Apart from inhaling the steam of mint, you can make mint tea and drink it hot to relax the swollen throat.
You will need:
- 6 to 8 leaves of mint
- 4 to 5 leaves of holy basil
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 4 to 5 corns of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 2 cups of water
- Firstly, you boil water.
- Next, you crush the holy basil and mint leaves and then you put them into boiling water.
- You allow it to boil until the leaves are dark brown.
- Then, you put the ginger into the tea.
- You crush the pepper and add this tea.
- You put off the flame, strain your tea.
- Finally, you add honey to this.
You should take the hot cup with the vapor of mint tea, and hold it beneath your nose and then inhale for a while.
When the tea gets comfortably warm, you can sip it slowly and you will feel the hot tea going down your throat to give you relief from all pain and discomfort.
Diet is also important to control asthma. While some fruits contain a lot of antioxidants and are generally helpful for the health, there are also many fruits that if use in traditionally prescribed ways can treat asthma effectively. Here are the fruits and the ways that you can follow to treat your asthma.
- You take a ripe banana and put it on a slow heat to warm it up.
- After that, you mash the warm banana and add a little black pepper to it.
- You should have this to get rid of asthma bout.
- You have to soak the dry grapes (a handful of them) in water overnight.
- You should eliminate the seeds before soaking.
- You can have them in the next morning.
Vitamin C fruits:
- You should have more of vitamin C that will protect you from wheezing associated to asthma.
- You should drink 2 to 3 glasses of orange juice per day.
In addition, you can also have papaya, strawberries and blueberries that are also plentiful sources of vitamin C .
19. Bishop’s Weed
Being an herb, Bishop’s weed can cure asthma by reducing muscle spasms that affect the bronchial airways. If you are having the dried up phlegm, this way will give you lots of reliefs because it works as a fine expectorant.
You will need:
- 1/2 teaspoon of Bishop’s weed
- 1 glass of buttermilk
- You mix Bishop’s weed and buttermilk together.
- You should have this for two times per day.
You can use the seeds of Bishop's weed to make a hot poultice for fomentation of the chest to receive relief from obstruction there.
20. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for asthma as well as many other diseases. Actually, it is a treatment associated to asthma that is triggered by heartburn or acid reflux. When you have acid reflux, acid in your esophagus can narrow down your airway that lead to breathlessness along with other asthma symptoms like the cough.
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 glass of water
- You have to shake the bottle of apple cider vinegar evenly.
- Then, you add apple cider vinegar to water.
- You should sip this solution at a slow pace.
You can repeat this process after one hour if your wheezing hasn't disappeared.
Keep reading the article to get more information!
21. Natural Steam Inhalation
The doctor suggests that you can use the steam inhalation to loosen the phlegm that makes the chest tight and difficult to breathe. When you combine some natural ingredients to the hot water for inhalation, it is more beneficial for you. Here are some natural home remedies for asthma effectively.
- You pour several drops of juniper oil to hot water.
- Now you can inhale steam when you need to get rid of asthma symptoms.
- You boil water in a pot.
- And then you add several drops of peppermint oil into this.
- You can inhale the steam when you have an asthma attack.
Turmeric contains anti-inflammatory properties that help in clearing the mucus in your lungs and help you breathe easily.
You will need:
- Turmeric powder – one teaspoon
- Warm milk – one glass
- You take turmeric powder and warm milk.
- You mix this turmeric powder in the warm milk and let turmeric powder dissolve completely in this milk.
- You drink the milk to get rid of asthma.
You should drink regularly for about three times per day that will help in controlling the frequency of asthma as well as its symptoms.
23. Parsley Leaves
Parsley is one of the natural home remedies for asthma. It works as an expectorant that loosens the mucus, reduces tightness in the airways as well as soothes the cough.
You will need:
- The fresh parsley leaves – 2 teaspoons
- Or the dried parsley – one teaspoon
- Boiling water – one cup
- You add the fresh parsley leaves or the dried parsley leaves to boiling water to create a tea from parsley leaves.
- You let it steep for about 15 minutes and then strain and drink this tea.
- To raise taste, you can add honey.
- You boil parsley leaves in the water for about 10 to 15 minutes and you can inhale its steam.
- You boil the fresh parsley leaves in one cup of water.
- After that, you strain and drink this to get rid of asthmatic attacks.
- This is an effective natural home remedy for asthma.
Be careful when using parsley for asthma if you are taking diuretics or drugs for high blood pressure because parsley may increase the frequency and amount of urination.
This tea is very effective in curing bronchial disorders that include asthma.
- You boil flowers and leaves of mullein in one cup of water to make an herbal tea.
- You should drink it two times per day.
Yogurt has vitamin B12 that helps in alleviating the symptoms of asthma. In addition, yogurt also has probiotics, beneficial bacteria, which is used to relieve the inflammation as well as helps in better digestion. Therefore, yogurt is one of the simple home remedies for asthma.
- You should eat about 2 cups of yogurt every day to control asthma and its symptoms.
26. Ginkgo Biloba
Many bygone centuries, Ginkgo biloba which is a Chinese herb has been used for healing bronchitis and asthma and increasing the function of your lungs.
- You put the dried Ginkgo biloba in a cup of water and boil it.
- You steep it for about 15 -20 minutes.
- After that, you strain and sip this tea slowly.
You should use this herb along with garlic or ginger to increase the efficacy of the remedy.
You should add fish such as salmons, sardines, herring, mackerel, cod, and tuna in your diet for about two times per week. They help your lungs work better and fight the asthmatic problems.
In addition, if you do not want to have fish you can use fish oils that can be drunk along with milk. They are very abundant in omega-3 fatty acids. They act as leukotriene inhibitors.
28. Radish Juice
The juice of radish is one of the simple home remedies for asthma attack. You can do the following way:
- You grind some radish and extract the juice.
- You add lemon juice and some honey to it.
- You should drink it for about 1 to 2 times per day to clear out the respiratory tract.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 28 natural home remedies for asthma attack, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of asthma attack quickly and easily. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at home remedy.