Allergies are known as allergic diseases. They are caused by hypersensitivity of your immune system. These diseases include food allergies, atopic dermatitis, hay fever, allergic asthma, and anaphylaxis. They often have some symptoms such as red eyes, runny nose, an itchy rash, swelling or shortness of breath.
In this writing, AllRemedies.com will introduce to you the best natural home remedies for allergies in adults & children without any side effect. These home remedies are collected effectively and safely from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Continue reading this article to understand more!
Top 20 Natural Home Remedies For Allergies In Adults & Children
1. Red Onion Water
Onions have a water-soluble chemical compound that is called quercetin. The preliminary studies demonstrated that quercetin can help in reducing the amount of histamine, which is produced by the body. It means that red onion water is also listed on home remedies for allergies.
You will need:
- Organic or raw honey to taste
- One red onion
- Four cups of water
- You cut the onion into thin slices
- And then you put it into the water.
- You let it infuse for about 8 to 12 hours.
- Then, you can drink 1 to 2 times every day.
- You can keep it in the fridge for about 4 days.
In addition, you can stir a little honey into your glass when you take it if you like.
Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.
Turmeric contains curcumin that works as a decongestant and helps in reducing allergy and its symptoms. Using turmeric has many home remedies for allergies in adults & children, you can practice the following ways:
Way 1: turmeric powder
- You take turmeric powder with a sufficient amount and you add this to the foods while cooking.
- You add this to milk, salads, curries, fries, rice items, etc. in most every food that you like to add the turmeric powder to get relief from allergies.
- Simply, you can include this turmeric powder in your diet plan in order to get rid of allergies due to its immune-boosting properties.
Way 2: turmeric powder and honey
- 4 tablespoons of turmeric powder
- 6 tablespoons of honey
- Clean glass jar
- You pour turmeric powder in a small bowl.
- Then you add organic or raw honey in it and you stir it well to make a fine paste.
- You consume one teaspoon of the mixture and for further usage, you can store this mixture in one clean glass jar and keep it in a refrigerator.
- You should repeat this mixture for at least about three times per day on regular basis.
- This paste contains powerful anti-inflammatory property that can help a lot in eliminating the excess mucus, heal respiratory tissue and thus clear the allergic reaction in your body.
Way 3: turmeric and milk
Using combination of turmeric and milk is to get rid of allergies as well as the itchy throat which caused due to allergies. You should try this way regularly either at night time or in the morning time to treat the allergies.
- One-half teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 cup of boiled milk
- Black pepper
- You add turmeric powder to boiling milk.
- Then, you add honey and black pepper powder in it.
- You stir it well until the turmeric has mixed in milk.
- You should drink this on an empty stomach, which will get rid of allergy.
- Or, you can take this at night before going to sleep to clear allergies as well as its symptoms.
- You should take this turmeric milk for about 2 to 3 times per day, which will help in clearing the allergic reaction.
Way 4: turmeric paste
One of the effective home remedies for allergies is turmeric that you can follow:
- ½ cup of turmeric powder
- 1 cup of water
- Air tight container
- You take one small saucepan and you pour turmeric powder and water into it.
- You put it over stove and you stir it well till it becomes one smooth paste.
- You boil it and stir it frequently.
- And then, you reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer until it thickens.
- After that, you turn off the flame, let it get cool down for several minutes.
- You can store this paste in one airtight container and put it into refrigerator.
- You should consume this by combining with fruit juices as well as any liquids.
- If you consume this regularly you will get better results from allergies.
Way 5: turmeric juice and honey
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric juice
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey
- You put turmeric juice into a small bowl.
- Next, you add honey in it and you stir it well till the ingredients are mixed together.
- You consume one spoonful of this mixture to get rid of allergies.
- You should continue eating this mixture regularly till the allergy is gone from the body.
Way 6: turmeric tea
- 1 to 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 cup of warm water
- You add turmeric powder in warm water.
- You stir it well until the turmeric mixed in water.
- Then, you add honey and stir it well.
- You should drink this tea to reduce the seasonal allergies along with its symptoms.
- You should follow drinking this tea regularly till you can get rid of allergies as well as its symptoms.
Way 7: turmeric and sandalwood paste
- Lukewarm water
- Red Sandalwood
- Turmeric powder
- You take equal quantities of turmeric powder and red sandalwood in a small bowl.
- You add little of water in it and you mix it well to create a fine paste.
- You apply this paste on your face lightly with your hand.
- You allow it to sit for about 30 to 40 minutes and then you wash it off with warm water.
- This way will give a soothing relief from tenderness, redness and swelling in your face.
- You should follow this process regularly to remove your facial swelling along with allergy in your body.
Way 8: turmeric, lemon and honey
- 2 big pieces of turmeric root
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- Banana (optional)
- You take turmeric roots and you blend it to get turmeric powder.
- Then, you take the juice from a lemon and you add this juice in it.
- You add honey along with a little of water.
- Then, you stir it well to create it as turmeric smoothie.
- Optionally, you can combine it with a little of banana for additional flavor or taste.
- You should drink this regularly to get relief from the allergies.
This can be one of the most effective home remedies for allergies.
Way 9: turmeric, apple cider vinegar, lemon and honey
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of honey
- Mortar and pestle
- Black pepper
- You put turmeric powder into mortar and pestle.
- You whisk it to make a fine powder.
- Then you take out these into a small bowl.
- And you mix it with lemon zest, unfiltered and organic apple cider vinegar, raw honey and 1 pinch of black pepper.
- You mix it well till it gets a smooth mixture.
- You consume a tablespoon of this mixture to get relief from the allergy as well as allergic reactions completely.
- You can store the remaining part in an airtight container; keep it in refrigerator that can last for more than one week without getting spoiled.
- Alternatively, you can create a warm tonic by combining this turmeric mixture (one tablespoon) in 12 to 16 ounces of tepid water and drink this solution to get rid of seasonal allergies.
- Or, you can add this turmeric mixture (one tablespoon) in your smoothies and you mix it well before consuming it.
- Or, you take this turmeric paste (one or two teaspoons) and then you spread it on the baked foods or the toast and consume this to get rid of allergies.
- You should continue consuming this turmeric super booster every day in any of these ways to get relief from the allergies.
Way 10: turmeric water
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 8 oz glass of water
- You add organic and pure turmeric powder to water.
- You stir it well and you can drink this to get rid of the throat, breathing or any other allergies.
- You should drink this regularly to help you to get relief from the seasonal allergies.
- This way can help in clearing the allergies as well as its symptoms such as wheezing, sneezing, etc.
Way 11: turmeric, water and olive oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 glass of water
- Black pepper powder
- You add olive oil and turmeric powder to water.
- Then you add black pepper powder (1 pinch) in it.
- You stir it well until all ingredients are mixed properly.
- You consume this to get rid of the seasonal allergies as well as asthma or sinus allergies.
- You should repeat drinking this water every day to relieve the allergic reactions.
The above ways are the popular home remedies for allergies related to turmeric.
If you have hives due to allergies, you can use oatmeal to get rid of it.
- 1 cup of boiled water
- 1 tablespoon of oatmeal
- Cotton balls
- You add oatmeal to boiling water.
- You let it sit for about 30 minutes.
- After that, you strain and apply this paste on the hives with the cotton balls.
- You can also use this way for bug bites.
- You can put it in the refrigerator for further usage over the course of several days.
- If you want to get relief from allergies on over the body, you can add oatmeal to your bath water for a very effective way.
Garlic works as a natural antibiotic that will help in getting rid of allergies effectively. Garlic contains the immune boosting and antiviral properties that can really keep the doctor away throughout the allergy season.
- You can eat 2 or 3 raw garlic cloves every day for 1 or 2 weeks to fight the various allergy symptoms.
- You peel a piece of fresh ginger and cut ginger root.
- You pour boiling hot water over it and wait for 5 to 10 minutes.
- You can add honey to it sweeten it.
- You should consume this regularly during the allergies.
This works as an antihistamine and decongestant. It affects directly on the anti-inflammatory processes in your human body because it plays a key role in controlling the platelet-activating factor.
6. Neti Pot
This way is for the sinus allergy that has some symptoms such as the runny nose, nasal drip, sneezing and watery eyes. You should keep using a neti pot when you have allergy throughout the year. When you suffer from allergy, the neti pot can be very helpful.
- You fill your neti pot with water. You can take the distilled, tepid or saline water.
- You should stand near the basin; tilt your head towards one side, right or left.
- You bring the spout of your neti pot near the nostril (left nostril if you tilt your head towards right and vice versa), and then you pour water from the pot into it.
- You have to adjust your head so that the water flushes out from the other nostril. You should practice this for some initial days.
- You should practice this 1 to 2 times per day.
You can practice this way with your cupped hands when you don’t find the neti pot or when you hesitate to put something like a neti pot spout into the nose!
7. Saline Rinse
Saline water washes out the pollen grains to get rid of allergies and sinus congestion. In fact, salt water not only rinses away pollen but also help in reducing or loosening mucous to provide you relief. Salt water works as an astringent that can draw together or constrict the body tissues. This has the healing, tightening and drying effect which helps in reducing inflammation and irritation.
You will need:
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 cups of distilled water (warm)
- 1 pinch of baking soda (optional)
- Like the above way, you can use this way with a neti pot or your cupped hands.
- You bend over your sink and inhale the steam of saline water from the cupped hands.
- If you use neti pot, you can follow the directions that are given in the above remedy.
- You should repeat this way until you use out of the saline water.
- You can do this 1 to 2 times per day.
Precaution: If you suffer from asthma, you should ask your doctor for advice before using saline-water way.
8. Lemon And Honey
Lemon has antibiotics and anti allergic properties that can help in flushing out the toxins from your body and give you relief from the allergies. Honey can help in soothing the allergies as well as its reactions.
- You take one glass of tepid water and squeeze half a lemon to take the juice.
- You add 1 teaspoon of honey and mix it in one glass of tepid water.
- You should drink this when your stomach is empty.
9. Green Tea
Green tea is a healthy beverage. According to the research of Kyushu University of Japan, green tea plays the positive role in fighting allergies. In addition, green tea also contains the antioxidants. Having 1 to 2 cups of green tea every day is one of the home remedies for allergies.
You will need:
- 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey
- You put the green tea leaves into a pot.
- Then, you pour hot water to it.
- You steep for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- After that, you strain and if you want you can add honey.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
One of the oldest home remedies for allergies in adults & children is apple cider vinegar. Due to its antihistamine and antibiotic properties, it is very effective in getting rid of allergic reactions. It treats the cause of your allergy and thereby decreases or eliminates symptoms such as frequent sneezing, nasal congestion, headache, itching and cough. There are two home remedies for allergies which use apple cider vinegar.
You will need:
- Unfiltered, organic apple cider vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 1 glass
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Raw honey – ½ tablespoon
- You add unfiltered, organic apple cider vinegar to water.
- You mix it in fresh lemon juice and raw honey.
- You should drink this solution three times per day till you can get relief from the allergy symptoms.
You will need:
Apple cider vinegar – one teaspoon
Water- One glass
- You take unfiltered, organic apple cider vinegar.
- And then you mix it in water.
- You should drink this three times per day to get relief from the allergy as well as its symptoms.
You can repeat the way whenever you have the allergies that are caused by seasonal or other allergies.
11. Apple And Walnut
You can enjoy walnuts that are a daily snack to help in relieving allergy symptoms. They contain a high amount of magnesium that helps in tamping down any symptoms such as coughing or wheezing. In addition, they also contain vitamin E content that can boost immunity and gives your body relief from reacting to allergens. Combination of apple and walnut is one of the simplest home remedies for allergies.
Like onions, apples contain quercetin, and naturally lessen the production of histamine. According to several studies, eating an apple per day can get rid of allergies.
You will need:
- ½ to 1 cup of walnuts
- 1 apple
- Firstly, you cut the walnuts and chop the apple into medium chunks.
- You put them in a bag and begin to toss till thoroughly mixed.
- After that, you can enjoy it every day.
- If you like you can substitute pecans or walnuts.
- You can also combine in some other ingredients such as sunflower seeds or dried cherries if you like.
12. Nettle Leaves
One of the home remedies for allergies is using nettle leaves that have natural antihistamine. They can naturally block the ability of your body to produce histamine that causes the allergies. Simply, you can make an herbal tea with the mixture of this nettle leaf.
- You take Nettle leaf, Peppermint, Alfalfa leaf and Red raspberry leaf at the ratio of 1:1:1:4.
- You blend all the dried herbs to create a fine powder.
- Then, you take ¾ cup or more it and add it in a glass jar.
- You should fill it with the boiling water.
- You can keep it for overnight and you can strain it in the next morning.
- You should drink this tea to treat the allergies as well as its symptoms.
Precaution: before using nettle leaves, you should consult your doctor if you suffer from blood thinners and blood pressure lowering medications.
Continue reading this writing to discover other natural home remedies for allergies in adults & children!
Steam will protect you from the natural allergies because it flushes out the mucus and moisten the dry nasal passages. Therefore, it will give instant relief from the sinus infections and cold as well. Steam is one of the simple home remedies for allergies, you can follow this.
- You boil the water for about several minutes and pour the boiling water into a container or bowl.
- You take a towel and then drape it over the head.
- Make sure that you will cover this towel in such this way which the air cannot escape from it.
- Then, you deeply inhale through the nose for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- You shouldn’t put your face too close into the water, as it can scald.
- This way will be followed every day whenever you are suffering from the allergies.
14. Peppermint Tea
The volatile oils such as menthol, menthone, and menthyl acetate present in peppermint that are many great benefits to human health. Especially, it is beneficial for the allergies associated to the nasal passage as well as breathing problems. Peppermint contains the menthol component that works as an expectorant and decongestant. Thus, it can break up mucus and clear out your throat and nose. This herb also contains mild antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. You can use peppermint tea to drink or inhale its steam and it makes a compress get relief from allergies.
To make a peppermint teat, you will need:
- 1 tablespoon of the dried peppermint leaves
- 3 to 4 cups of hot water
- 1 jar or pot
- You put the peppermint leaves in one jar or pot.
- Then, you pour the hot water in it.
- You allow it to steep for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- After that, you can strain and take it after cooling down.
- You can also inhale the steam of this tea.
How to use peppermint tea
- You take this hot tea in bowl or a cup and keep your face above it and inhale steam. This steam that enters the nostrils will open up the nasal passages.
- To drink peppermint tea, you can add a little bit of honey if you desire and then you can sip it slowly to clear your throat.
- You can also use a bag of peppermint tea as one warm compress to sooth the itchy eyes. You can steep this bag into hot water for one-half to 1 minute. You take the bag out and allow it to cool down to become warm (do not use the hot compress for eyes). After that, you close your eyes and put the warm tea bag over the eyelids. You should keep it for 5 to 10 minutes when you relax.
15. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil contains the strong, piney aroma that can supercharge steam inhalation. It helps in opening your sinuses as well as nasal passages further. According to some studies, the essential oil, which is extracted from the eucalyptus leaves, contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
You should try adding some drops of this oil to a steaming water bowl, or on the floor of your shower before you step into. You have to remember that you do not swallow this oil or use it directly to the skin because it is toxic in the concentrated amounts.
There are many home remedies for allergies, keep reading the writing to get more information!
16. Essential Oils
Essential oils contain the strong natural antihistamines that will help you remove the various symptoms of allergies. There are three essential oils for allergies effectively that include Lavender, peppermint and lemon essential oils. When they are in a combined form, they can treat inflammation due to the allergic reaction in a great way. They are especially useful for airborne allergies.
You can take each of these oils of about 2 to 4 drops and then you mix them and use them following one of these ways below.
You will need:
- 2 to 4 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 2 to 4 drops of Lemon essential oil
- 2 to 4 drops of Peppermint essential oil
You mix all the oils and follow one of these ways:
- You pour them in a hot water bowl and breathe the steam to treat your respiratory tract as well as nasal passages.
- You add them to one cup of water and you use it to gargle to relieve obstruction in throat.
- You can consume internally by adding the combination of oils to 1 teaspoon of honey, preferably local honey.
- To get rid of sinus discomforts or headaches etc. you can rub this oil (a small amount of them) on your forehead, neck, behind the neck, ears, and sinuses. Be careful to not allow the oil to enter your eyes.
- For kids, you can rub this oil on their feet two times a day.
17. Consume Vitamin C Rich Foods
Vitamin C (or Ascorbic acid) is known a natural antihistamine as well as a powerful one! According to a research, to reduce 40 percent histamine, a person will need only 2g of ascorbic acid. Therefore, it means that you should eat such foods that contain abundant of vitamin C in your daily diet. Vitamin C relates to many home remedies for allergies. The following list of foods which you should include in your diet.
- Fruits like papayas, guava, blackcurrants, mango, strawberries, and citrus fruits like elderberries, peaches, raspberries, kiwi, oranges, pineapple, bananas, and cranberry juice.
- Vegetables like kale, parsley, green peppers, red bell peppers, brussels sprouts, mustard greens, broccoli, watercress, cauliflower, red cabbage, turnips, asparagus, cantaloupe, spinach, cayenne pepper, green onions, radishes, yellow summer squash, green peas, sweet potatoes, loganberries, tomatoes, lettuce, new potatoes.
- Lima beans, black-eyed peas
18. Have Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 is known as an unsaturated fatty acid that is very good for our health. Besides many other health benefits, it also relieves allergies, especially seasonal allergies. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that will help in reducing inflammation that is caused by allergic reactions. Boosting the immune system is another way to help it prevent allergy. Besides the other anti-allergic foods, it will be very good for you to consume such foods too that have omega-3 fatty acids. This is essential because the body cannot to manufacture omega-3 fatty acids.
Here is list of foods that have a rich source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
- Fish like salmon, halibut, and tuna
- Flaxseed oil
- Canola oil
- Soybeans and tofu
- Grass fed meat
- Winter squash
- Brussels sprouts
Echinacea belongs to the daisy family. Native Americans used it to prevent as well as alleviate allergies. It acts by stimulating your immune system and combining with herbalists prescribe it to cure such allergies as allergic rhinitis and hay fever. It can reduce symptoms of flu and colds too such as fever, sore throat and coughs. Make an Echinacea tea to promote your immunity and get rid of allergies. List of home remedies for allergies include the Echinacea tea.
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon of Echinacea leaves, flowers, roots
- ¼ tablespoon of lemon grass
- ¼ tablespoon of peppermint leaves
- Honey to taste
- 1 cup of hot water
- Firstly, you mix all the herbs well.
- Then, you pour hot water over the mixture.
- You steep for about five minutes.
- And then you strain and add honey to taste.
- Finally, you should have this tea for 1 to 2 times a day.
20. Goldenseal Herbal
Goldenseal is one of the home remedies for allergies because it contains anti-inflammatory, astringent and antibiotic properties. It is great when it comes to soothing the irritated mucus membranes. Actually, this herb is helpful in all kinds of airborne allergy responses. Goldenseal has been extensively used by American Indians for inflammatory conditions such as digestive, respiratory and genital as well as urinary tract inflammation caused by infection or allergy. It has two forms: tea or tincture. Tea is bitter, so you should use it with honey. When you take a tincture, you should have about 30 drops for 4 to 6 times per day. However, you should ask your doctor for exact dosage.
You will need:
- 1 teaspoon of goldenseal herb
- 1 cup of hot water
- 2 teaspoons of honey, preferably local to taste
- You put the herb into a pot.
- And then you pour hot water over this herb.
- You steep it for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- After that, you strain and add honey.
- Finally, you should have this for 1 to 2 times per day.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 20 natural home remedies for allergies in adults & children, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of allergies in babies quickly and easily. However, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any at home remedy.