Flaky skin is one common problem in the winter time. It can lead to inflamed and scaly areas of your skin accompanied by irritation and itchiness. Several causes of flaky skin include extreme weather conditions, allergies, eczema, skin rashes or infections, psoriasis, dermatitis, a weak immune system, ringworm, certain types of cancer, etc. There are a lot of natural remedies to heal the process. Natural treatments are not only inexpensive, but also quite effective in hydrating and nourishing flaky skin. In this article, AllRemedies.com will introduce you 18 solutions on how to treat flaky skin on face. All of the ways in this article are collected from reliable sources. Each individual has a different skin condition; hence you should consult your doctor before applying anyway. Keep reading this writing to learn more these 18 simple ways on how to treat flaky skin on face!
How To Treat Flaky Skin On Face: 18 Solutions
1. Coconut Oil
This oil is considered as a great flaky skin on face treatment. It contains skin-nourishing fatty acids which act as an effective skin moisturizer. In addition, its antioxidant property can help to reduce itching and irritation. Here are detailed directions to use coconut oil for treating flaky skin on face:
- Warm a little extra virgin coconut oil in one microwave.
- Then rub this warm oil on your affected skin area and massage gently so this oil is absorbed by your skin.
- You should follow this simple treatment about two or three times every day and you will notice results within a couple of days.
2. Olive Oil
Olive oil that helps you improve your health muscle also helps you treat flaky skin on face.
Olive oil contains skin-nourishing fatty acids which act as an effective moisturizer for the flaky skin on face. This oil coats your skin as well as locks in moisture. Furthermore, the vitamin E of olive oil also helps the body combat free radicals which are often responsible for the skin aging. Here are easy steps to apply olive oil for curing flaky skin on face:
- Slightly warm a little extra virgin olive oil in one microwave. Liberally rub this warm olive oil on your affected area and massage gently it so this oil penetrates deep inside your skin. You should do this process three times every day till your condition improves.
- Alternatively, you can mix salt (two tablespoons) with enough olive oil to make a thick paste. Then use the paste as one body scrub to exfoliate the dead skin cells. It is recommended to do this remedy two times a week till your skin heals completely.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains moisturizing and soothing properties that help remove flaky skin on face effectively. It also reduces irritation, inflammation and itching. For the best results, what you need to do:
- Mix fresh aloe vera gel (two tablespoons) and some vitamin E oil.
- Then apply the mixture on your affected skin.
- Keep it to dry on its own, and afterward, wash it off with warm water.
- You should repeat this way two or three times every day for at least 1 week.
Surprisingly, milk is really beneficial for coping with flaky skin on face. It acts as one natural skin moisturizer, the protein presents in milk contains the lactic acid and a soothing effect will reduce itching and irritation as well. Here are step by step instructions you can follow at home:
- Soak one washcloth in some ice-cold whole milk and then wring out this excess milk. Afterward, put the washcloth on your affected area for about 10 minutes. Finally, rinse the skin off with clean water. It is suggested to repeat the process about two or three times every day till the skin is healthy again.
- Another option is to mix whole milk (two tablespoons) and honey (one tablespoon). Apply this mixture on your affected skin and gently massage. Allow it on for around 10 minutes and lastly rinse it off with warm water. You had better do this method two times every day for about one week.
5. Oatmeal Bath
Oatmeal is really helpful in reducing the irritation and itching associated with flaky skin on face. Due to its soothing properties, it also helps the skin maintain its natural moisture. To use it for treating flaky skin on face, you can do as follows:
- Stir oatmeal (one cup) into one bath tub filled with enough warm water.
- Soak in the soothing bath water for half an hour.
- Wash your body using clean water, and after that, pat dry with one soft towel.
- Finish by applying a gentle moisturizer on the body.
- This remedy should be followed every day before you go to sleep till you obtain the satisfied result.
6. Sugar And Lemon Scrub
Being a powerful astringent, lemon contains the ability to dissolve the dead skin cells and help decrease flaky skin on face. Also, its soothing and healing properties are very good for the skin. When mixed with sugar, it acts as a perfect natural scrub for the skin. Here are easy steps:
- Mix together 1/2 cup of sugar, juice from 1/2 a lemon, and 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and honey.
- Apply the mixture on the skin and then rub in the circular motions for several minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- You should repeat this treatment once or twice per week till you get rid of the flaky skin on face.
As you see, cucumber is one natural astringent and also has plenty of water helping keep your skin hydrated. In addition, its cooling effect also helps alleviate itching and irritation as well. The vitamin C of cucumber will also decrease sunburn as well as facilitate skin repair. Here are detailed guides to use cucumber for curing flaky skin on face:
- Grate 1 cucumber and next apply the paste on your affected skin. Allow it on for around 15 to 20 minutes, and finally wash it off with warm water. It is recommended to do this process two times every day for 1-2 weeks to retain adequate skin moisture.
- Another choice is to mix one peeled cucumber and aloe vera gel (2 tablespoons) in a blender to create a smooth paste. Then apply this paste on the flaky skin on face. Allow it on for around 10 minutes, and finally wash it off using warm water. It is suggested to do this once every day till this problem is resolved.
Generally, honey can rejuvenate the flaky skin on face. It contains fructose, oil, glucose, water and enzymes which make it an excellent natural skin moisturizer. Plus, honey also reduces irritation and itchiness associated with the flaky skin on face. For the better results, what you need to do:
- Rub honey (a small amount) on your affected skin. Allow it on for around 10 to 20 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water.
- Alternatively, you can mix together 1 teaspoon each of turmeric powder, honey and sandalwood powder. Later apply this mixture on your affected area, wait it on for half an hour and lastly rinse it off with warm water.
You should follow either of these treatments two or three times every day for one week in order to make your skin supple and soft.
The acids, enzymes, trace and minerals elements of yogurt help lots in the home treatment of the flaky skin on face. Also, yogurt works as one deep moisturizer for your dry skin. Here are two methods to apply yogurt for dealing with flaky skin on face:
- Mix yogurt (two tablespoons) with honey (two teaspoons). Apply the mixture liberally on your affected skin. Leave it to dry on its own, and afterwards wash it off with warm water.
- Another method is to mix the pulp of 1/2 of a ripe banana and yogurt (two tablespoons). Apply this mixture to your affected area, allow it on for about 15 minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
You can choose one of these methods and use it two times every day till you get the expected result.
Another beneficial ingredient for curing the flaky skin on face is using mint. This herb contains a calming effect on your skin and helps moisturize your skin and keep it rejuvenated and refreshed. For the most beneficial results, what you need to do:
- Extract the juice from a few fresh leaves of mint.
- Apply it on your affected skin before you go to sleep.
- The next morning, wash your skin off with lukewarm water and then pat dry using a soft towel.
- Finish by applying a light moisturizer.
- It is recommended to follow this treatment every day till your dry and flaky skin on face looks healthy again.
11. Coconut Oil And Sugar Scrub
Here are step by step guides to use this scrub for treating flaky skin on face:
- Mix brown sugar (1 teaspoon) with coconut oil (2 to 5 drops) and start scrubbing that onto the clean dry your face for around two minutes.
- Wash your face off with tepid water and then pat dry using a clean towel.
12. Butter Face Mask
This face masks are really amazing for the flaky skin on face. This mask smoothens and softens out your skin, gets rid of dead cells and flaky skin and hydrates parched skin as well. For the best results, all you need to do is to take unsalted butter (one teaspoon). Next, slather this soft butter onto the cheeks or the flaky parts. Let the butter face mask stay for around 10 to 15 minutes. Finally wash it off with tepid water and then pat dry your face.
13. Honey And Milk Cream
Milk cream is packed with healthy fat, contains Vitamin A and calcium. For the desired results, you get milk cream (one tablespoon) and raw honey (one teaspoon). Mix this very well till you have a creamy paste. Onto the clean face, apply this mask and allow it on for around 10 to 15 minutes. After that, wash with warm water first, in order to loosen the mask and then use cold water. Finally, pat dry your face with a towel.
14. Avocado Face Mask
As you know, avocado is considered as a super food high in important phytochemicals and antioxidants. This creamy food has healthy fat as well as skin friendly vitamins like B-vitamins and vitamin E that all lead to your beautiful skin. Especially, the healthy fat of avocado will lubricate and hydrate your flaky skin on face and help nourish skin cells in order to promote supple skin. For the best results, you need 1 teaspoon of yogurt and 1/4 of a ripe small avocado. Yogurt is very great for flaky skin on face as it has lactic acid that helps in breaking down the dead cells as well as flaky skin. After that, mash up your avocado into one lump free paste. Then add in regular yogurt (1 teaspoon) and mix well. Now smear this onto the flaky skin and keep for around 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse it off with tepid water and then pat dry the face with a clean towel. Finish by applying olive oil (a drop) to moisturize if necessary.
15. Banana Face Mask
Banana is very rich in potassium, vitamin A, vitamin E, B-vitamins and water so that banana is an effective skin moisturizing and hydrating beauty ingredient. For the better results, you need 1/2 of a small banana, raw honey (1 teaspoon) and 1 teaspoon of yogurt. Then mash your banana with the back of one fork till you get a consistency. Mix all these ingredients thoroughly in one small bowl and evenly apply this mixture onto the face. Rinse off this mask after it dries.
16. Yogurt And Cucumber Face Mask
As you know, cucumber has almost 95 % water and also contains vitamin A, B. Therefore, it has hydrating, cleansing, skin lightening, moisturizing and toning properties for flaky skin on face. Yogurt is one super food that has great moisturizing and nourishing properties. Use cucumber and yogurt together for a perfect hydrating face mask to fight off flaky skin on face. All you need to do is blend 1/4 of a cucumber till it turns into one watery mixture. Then place this cucumber puree in one small bowl and stir in regular yogurt (1 tablespoon). Apply this mixture to the face and rinse off after it dries up. Finally, pat dry your face with a soft towel. You can apply olive oil (a drop) to moisturize.
17. Egg Yolk
Egg yolk has a chock full of some nutrients including minerals, vitamins, fat and water. This makes egg yolk a perfect water binding agent which will lock moisture into your skin cells. Egg yolk also contains protein, vitamin A, B-vitamins, zinc which will nourish, lubricate and hydrate your skin. To make an egg yolk face mask for the flaky skin on face, you need to combine egg yolk (1 teaspoon), 1 teaspoon of milk powder and oatmeal (1 teaspoon). After that, apply this to the flaky skin on face. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Now, use some warm water to loosen this mask before washing with cool water.
18. Castor Oil Massage
Castor oil is a great skin emollient, as it is one thick oil and contains lubricating and soothing benefits which cure even the most severe condition of flaky skin on face. To carry out one castor oil massage, first begin with facial steaming. This step is to soften the face and flaky skin. Then warm up this castor oil and begin massaging it on the face in one gentle circular motion. You can do this for around 3 to 5 minutes. Afterwards, place one soft washcloth in some hot water, wring it and then place it the face to open up the skin pores in order to allow the castor oil to remove and to penetrate any impurities. After that, take the wash cloth to wipe off gently your face.
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily to keep your skin hydrated
- Take cold showers in order to ease itching
- Wear sunscreen to protect the skin or avoid direct exposure to the sunrays
- Do not try to forcefully peel or scratch the skin
- Apply moisturizer regularly
- Avoid taking hot baths
- Mix together one teaspoon each of turmeric powder, sandalwood powder and honey. After that, add olive oil to create a thin paste. Mix well and then apply it on your flaky skin on face. After half an hour, rinse and dry it off. Or, you can use sandalwood soap.
- Break one vitamin E capsule and then use the liquid on your affected part. Vitamin E is also considered important for your healthy skin. Alternatively, you can apply a lotion that contains vitamin E as one primary ingredient. Another choice is to gently massage vitamin E oil on the skin to prevent dryness and flaking.
- Grapes contain alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) which sloughs off your dead skin cells. You can take any grape and the mash them in the juicer. Afterwards, apply the mashed-up grapes as one face mask. After around 15 to 30 minutes, wash off this mixture.
- Like grapes, pineapples also have AHA. To use it for treating flaky skin on face, you take a fresh pineapple and the peel off its upper layer. Next, cut it into many small pieces and later squeeze out the juice. Now, massage it onto your affected area. Leave the liquid to dry for about 15 minutes, and finally rinse it off.
- Mix together freshly squeezed fruit juice (half cup) and unflavored gelatin (one packet). If your skin is oily, then try lemon or grapefruit; otherwise, use peach or raspberry for normal to your dry skin. Place this mixture in the refrigerator for around half an hour, and then take it out. Spread one thin layer on your affected skin area and allow it to dry. Peel off and rinse your face off with cool water.
- Take one large bowl and then fill it with enough warm water. Now, add powdered oats (a handful) in the bowl. Soak your fingers in this bowl for around 10 to 15 minutes. Bathe the hands with clean water and then pat dry softly using a cotton towel. After that, apply a gentle moisturizer. For better and quick results, you had better use this treatment every day before you go to sleep.
- Wrap an ice cube in one hanky and start dabbing and wiping over the flaky skin on face. After the soothing remedy, you moisturize with coconut oil.
If you want to know more about natural, at home remedies for other diseases and conditions, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of how to treat flaky skin on face: 10 solutions, hope that it can help you find out the best remedy to help cope with flaky skin fast without any side effect. All these ways are very effective in treating flaky skin on face. However these ways will take some time to treat flaky skin but their results are long lasting. If you have any question, or you want to know other ways for skin flaky, please leave them below. Also you can share the experience if you know any other flaky skin treating remedies to us.